test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Autoleveling to lvl 30.

flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Time for 'Alerts: Play as a level 30 would' or 'What is this?'

The Alerts brought us the 'autoleveling to lvl 30'. Meaning players entering an Alert get to play as a lvl 30. Nice?
The reason for this is that all Alerts are scaled to lvl 30 (Except Gravitar, it's 35+), so all players from can join the fight. Nice?
But, it also brought the downside, it drops players 31+ to lvl 30. Nice?

It would be also nice to get some professional knowledge about the system, reasons behind it. Since the communicating is picking up again. Nice?

The reason behind this is THIS. Nice?

So, what everyone think of this 'Autoleveling to 30' mechanic. Ups? Downs? Reasons? Working? Not working?

Remember to keep it civil.
/LoL
CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
And playing by myself since Aug 2009
Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You don't lose any powers exemplaring in this game so the big complaint is your numbers aren't as big?

Incarnates in non-incarnate content wrecked that content for everyone that wasn't an incarnate in CoH due to the vast power difference.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, the problem is that going from 40 to 30 is a FIFTY PERCENT decrease in damage, among other things.

The level scaler is broken. Period.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    OKeeping this civil is hard to contain...*heavy breathing* hhhh!!!! .......hhhhh!.....hhhraaaaawrrrrr!

its stupid...should be lv40 only. If all the content they keep friggin adding scales, or changes you to X level... WHY HAVE A LEVELING SYSTEM AT ALL! Who-ever thought of this needs to moveoff the chair, and let the almighty god tumorboy sit back down.

Still waiting for more 40 only meterial...dont deny us it. Im not leveling up my 27th character waiting...its rediculous.

An extra game/logic reason: im sick of resummoning, resummoning resummoning resummoning resummoning resummoning resumm..........*500 years later*.....resummoning pets!

Mental health reason: if you put me with those people from alerts again...im going to crack...and go insane. Plus im sick of that *i do everything for people who do nothing for themselves* feeling that leaves a sick feelimg in my stomach and burns braincells away whilst they just sit there NOT PARTICIPATING, BUT LEECHING AND YET ARE GRANTED REWARDS FOR BEING UTTERLY FRIGGIN USELESS!!!!!

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Its 3:50 IN THE MORNING in england..iv woken from sleep knowing something was wrong and i knew something really really bad in Champions history had occured that like some unusual force drew me here.

Guess i wont be sleeping well for another 10+ months now.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    No, the problem is that going from 40 to 30 is a FIFTY PERCENT decrease in damage, among other things.

The level scaler is broken. Period.

Agreed. I believe that the issue goes beyond just the numbers though.

I see flashes of true genius in CO's design (free form character building, character customization, etc) which is why I am so astounded when I see what I consider to be some of the most asinine design decisions it has ever been my misfortune to observe (player run chat system, alert scaling, etc) here.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After reading the PTS link I'm upset the mega event seems like it's just gonna be another alert where we're all scaled down to 30. Seriously upset.

Are the devs afraid another Mega D-leveling bug will occur if things aren't always set to 30 or something?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    notburningchicknotburningchick Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    I see flashes of true genius in CO's design (free form character building, character customization, etc) which is why I am so astounded when I see what I consider to be some of the most asinine design decisions it has ever been my misfortune to observe (player run chat system, alert scaling, etc) here.
    It's easiest to understand CO as a product that was released early under the (ill-founded) hope that, like Cryptic's previous title, CoH, the players would "pay it forward" -- they'd keep paying their subs in anticipation of the game being steadily improved.

Honestly, I think it's better, in some ways, to think about what the devs got right with such a hurried, unpolished game.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Skull tech. Why not?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    mingdienastymingdienasty Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    So, what everyone think of this 'Autoleveling to 30' mechanic. Ups? Downs? Reasons? Working? Not working?

Not enough players in this game to justify creating content for a single level, even if that level is the cap.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not enough players in this game to justify creating content for a single level, even if that level is the cap.

So instead of letting those at the level cap keep the benefits of the stats/gear they worked toward, and just bringing everyone else up, you'd rather they bring anyone over 30 down, anyone below up, and probably hand out worthless gear? Those under 30 can't use the gear until they're 30, and those over 30 won't bother to use said gear...

And now that they're lowering the drop rate of the tank, there's even less of a reason to participate.

Just make the event level 40, throw in some minimum level requirement, (like 15 or 20), and bring everyone under 40 up to 40.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    mingdienastymingdienasty Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    So instead of letting those at the level cap keep the benefits of the stats/gear they worked toward, and just bringing everyone else up, you'd rather they bring anyone over 30 down, anyone below up, and probably hand out worthless gear? Those under 30 can't use the gear until they're 30, and those over 30 won't bother to use said gear...

And now that they're lowering the drop rate of the tank, there's even less of a reason to participate.

Just make the event level 40, throw in some minimum level requirement, (like 15 or 20), and bring everyone under 40 up to 40.

Not a question of what I think. OP asked people to speculate on why the devs did what they did, so I speculated.

You're idea of autoleveling people to 40 doesn't seem bad to me, but I speculate that the devs won't autolevel players to the cap.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    The reason behind this is THIS. Nice?

No, definitely not nice. I understand the issue you have with this. The Harbinger alert should auto-level you to 40.

But I think I also see Cryptic's point here: That alert is supposed to be done with a vehicle, for which the level doesn't matter.
  • Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, definitely not nice. I understand the issue you have with this. The Harbinger alert should auto-level you to 40.

But I think I also see Cryptic's point here: That alert is supposed to be done with a vehicle, for which the level doesn't matter.

Vehicles can go back to whatever bowels spawned them. I'm tired of vehicle "content". Give level 40 characters some challenging content for a change.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    Vehicles can go back to whatever bowels spawned them. I'm tired of vehicle "content". Give level 40 characters some challenging content for a change.

This right here highlights my biggest problem with this new mission I dont wont to play as a a vehicle I want to play as my charachter
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Agree with the previous comment, im not using a vehicle for this. Id rather eat a bowl of razors.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ah, forgot that.

This is a vehicle mission, and has been since the start.

Alas.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Or an UNTIL super-duper-hoverdisk, of which you can still completely use your own powers.

I want THAT as a vehicle choice, personally. I still am the hero that I designed. Can see my costumes and use my powers. I just have a replacement travel power.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Wouldn't the boss be scaled to the level too?

What's broken is mods and non-heirloom gear don't scale. Hooray for watching all my stat-based boosts go through the roof so I can get level 30 greens and blues! :rolleyes:
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The problem (as mentioned before) is that an actual level 30 will do more damage with their powers (assuming same powers and passives and superstat percentages) than a level 40 will do scaled down to 30 (assuming the same as before).

So being a level 40 is actually a detriment to the Alert system than a lower level character is.

That's the broken everything with this.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The problem (as mentioned before) is that an actual level 30 will do more damage with their powers (assuming same powers and passives and superstat percentages) than a level 40 will do scaled down to 30 (assuming the same as before).

So being a level 40 is actually a detriment to the Alert system than a lower level character is.

Wait, what?

A plain 30 is better than a 40 scaled down? I don't believe it--for instance, the 40 has more powers and advantages.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    More powers or advantages don't mean much, since you really need 1 power to do the dmg.
    And i believe it was even tested.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    OKeeping this civil is hard to contain...*heavy breathing* hhhh!!!! .......hhhhh!.....hhhraaaaawrrrrr!

its stupid...should be lv40 only. If all the content they keep friggin adding scales, or changes you to X level... WHY HAVE A LEVELING SYSTEM AT ALL! Who-ever thought of this needs to moveoff the chair, and let the almighty god tumorboy sit back down.

Still waiting for more 40 only meterial...dont deny us it. Im not leveling up my 27th character waiting...its rediculous.

An extra game/logic reason: im sick of resummoning, resummoning resummoning resummoning resummoning resummoning resumm..........*500 years later*.....resummoning pets!

Mental health reason: if you put me with those people from alerts again...im going to crack...and go insane. Plus im sick of that *i do everything for people who do nothing for themselves* feeling that leaves a sick feelimg in my stomach and burns braincells away whilst they just sit there NOT PARTICIPATING, BUT LEECHING AND YET ARE GRANTED REWARDS FOR BEING UTTERLY FRIGGIN USELESS!!!!!

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Its 3:50 IN THE MORNING in england..iv woken from sleep knowing something was wrong and i knew something really really bad in Champions history had occured that like some unusual force drew me here.

Guess i wont be sleeping well for another 10+ months now.

This is a funny rant, but shares my sentiments in that: yes, it's a broken and ill-thought-out design.

PS: You live in the UK? Interesting. Learn something new every day :smile:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Another famous Quote from Monty Python (dead parrot sketch):

..if you wanna get anything done in this country, you have to complain until youre blue in the mouth.

The storekeeper being Cryptic/PWE. The game being the dead parrot, and the customer is us:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEbjM3zhDQg < Very well made TF2 Version of the sketch.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Another famous Quote from Monty Python (dead parrot sketch):

..if you wanna get anything done in this country, you have to complain until youre blue in the mouth.

The storekeeper being Cryptic/PWE. The game being the dead parrot, and the customer is us:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEbjM3zhDQg < Very well made TF2 Version of the sketch.

I wish this weren't true. If the devs actually PLAYED their game then their complaints would not be so different from ours
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've actually always kinda wondered about the scaling to 30 as a whole.
    Not even getting into the nitty gritty of the scaling, level 30 just seems like an odd number to choose to me. I'd figure that 40, being the level cap and all, would of been more natural choice and honestly would probably of nipped a good number of complaints in the bud seeing as how two of the major ones are that player's are essentially punished for leveling a toon to max and that the drops are useless to most.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    To be fair, lvl 40 green drops are useless, too.

• Options
    edited February 2013

I checked Ferret last night, all my superstat-based numbers go up when I sidekick to 30. Not by a heck of a lot, all his secondaries are Q-store heirlooms, but they did actually go up. Mods and gear, AFAIK, don't sidekick.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I checked Ferret last night, all my superstat-based numbers go up when I sidekick to 30. Not by a heck of a lot, all his secondaries are Q-store heirlooms, but they did actually go up. Mods and gear, AFAIK, don't sidekick.

There's why. Heirloom gear in alerts help offset the terrible level scaling. Try going in with a complete set of non-scaling gear and see if you get similar results.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    There's why. Heirloom gear in alerts help offset the terrible level scaling. Try going in with a complete set of non-scaling gear and see if you get similar results.

Almost positive its the same thing, Foxfire has nothing heirloom and I've seen all her stats go up as well. I have a hard time taking her sidekicking to the rest of the Epsilon Squad since she blasts through everything before the rest of the squad even starts their attacks.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Almost positive its the same thing, Foxfire has nothing heirloom and I've seen all her stats go up as well. I have a hard time taking her sidekicking to the rest of the Epsilon Squad since she blasts through everything before the rest of the squad even starts their attacks.

Just completed a live test with two characters. One is level 18 and the other is level 40. I took screenshots of their stats while wearing a full set of regular level-appropriate gear and a full set of heirlooms, both outside and inside of Alerts as well.

Lowbie character sheet:
    Level 18 in regular gear(green primaries w/ one R1 mod total; blue secondaries); not in an Alert.
    Same level 18 in full heirlooms; not in an Alert.
    Same level 18 in the same regular gear, this time scaled to 30 during an Alert.
    Same level 18 in the same alert wearing full heirlooms.

Max level character sheet:
    Level 40 in regular gear(2 blue primaries w/ one R4 and R5 mod each, 1 green primary w/ 2 R4 mods; 2 blue and 1 green secondaries); not in an Alert.
    Same level 40 in full heirlooms; not in an Alert.
    Same level 40 in the same regular gear, this time scaled to 30 during an Alert.
    Same level 40 in the same alert wearing full heirlooms.

The level 40's stats in an alert while wearing heirlooms are arguably worse than when he's outside of an alert in regular gear.

Stat increases while scaled down? I'm not seeing it. I'm fairly certain nobody else does either.