test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stop limiting me!

riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Suggestions Box
Lately I've been having the same problem constantly when creating characters that is limiting what I am able to do. For instance, I want a collar and a crown on my character? Whoops! Can't do that, silly Riltmos, who wears both a crown and a collared coat? I want the ball hand on both hands for a nutcracker character? Sorry, can't do that, that is only available for the left hand. I want double peg legs for long robes so I don't see the feet? Nope! Can't do that either. Can I at least wear a dragon mask and a rock ja- nope! What can I do? You can make a very humanish character! Is that it? Well, you can also make a human with an animal head.

For the love of everything that is great, just let me put on what I want and stop taking out options because you don't see how they are relevant from categories. If I want to make a huge helmet with a wizard collar and crown, then let me make a character with a huge helmet, collar, and crown! Also please give us the chaos demon and Djinn legs.
Post edited by riltmos on

Comments

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    riltmos sees strange motives:

Lately I've been having the same problem constantly when creating characters that is limiting what I am able to do. For instance, I want a collar and a crown on my character? Whoops! Can't do that, silly Riltmos, who wears both a crown and a collared coat? I want the ball hand on both hands for a nutcracker character? Sorry, can't do that, that is only available for the left hand. I want double peg legs for long robes so I don't see the feet? Nope! Can't do that either. Can I at least wear a dragon mask and a rock ja- nope! What can I do? You can make a very humanish character! Is that it? Well, you can also make a human with an animal head.

For the love of everything that is great, just let me put on what I want and stop taking out options because you don't see how they are relevant from categories. If I want to make a huge helmet with a wizard collar and crown, then let me make a character with a huge helmet, collar, and crown! Also please give us the chaos demon and Djinn legs.

I have severe doubts that they're limited because they "don't see how they are relevant." Far FAR more likely scenario is "we can't make them work together for a variety of sizes without massive clipping". I'm pretty certain there's no value judgments going on here.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The problem here is: Cryptic's POV is centered at new players here. When they take all the limitations out of the character creator, it sure would open up a lot of new options, but many of these options would also lead to horrible clipping. Now imagine you are a new player, experiencing the character creator for the first time and see all that clipping. You'd think it's shoddy programming, which is what they want to prevent.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have severe doubts that they're limited because they "don't see how they are relevant." Far FAR more likely scenario is "we can't make them work together for a variety of sizes without massive clipping". I'm pretty certain there's no value judgments going on here.
    The problem here is: Cryptic's POV is centered at new players here. When they take all the limitations out of the character creator, it sure would open up a lot of new options, but many of these options would also lead to horrible clipping. Now imagine you are a new player, experiencing the character creator for the first time and see all that clipping. You'd think it's shoddy programming, which is what they want to prevent.

Seeing as a lot of the current combinations you can have will end up with some pretty healthy clipping issues... how about they just let us decide what amount of clipping we're comfortable with?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Clipping at your own risk warning?
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The best part of that would be intentionally clipping stuff. I've made interesting things at CoX that were supposed to be "mistakes". :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

Seeing as a lot of the current combinations you can have will end up with some pretty healthy clipping issues... how about they just let us decide what amount of clipping we're comfortable with?

Smoochan Wins.
    Players Lose(because it's likely to never be changed).
    /thread. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • retcon1retcon1 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Cryptic is not affraid of clipping. A LOT of newer head pieces go through everything. Try the "Nighthawk" mask for one, you can use it with everything and it clips through everything. Looks horrible.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Until the day they can have bestial heads wear top hats, just live with what you get.

((seriously my main as you see in my avatar, so many costumes I wish I can add a hat to him ; ;))

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Far FAR more likely scenario is "we can't make them work together for a variety of sizes without massive clipping". I'm pretty certain there's no value judgments going on here.

I seem to recall that a while back the devs blatantly said this was the reason why and...
    Now imagine you are a new player, experiencing the character creator for the first time and see all that clipping. You'd think it's shoddy programming, which is what they want to prevent.

... This is why they won't change it.
    drgmstr fights for the well-dressed animal accessories:

Until the day they can have bestial heads wear top hats, just live with what you get.

((seriously my main as you see in my avatar, so many costumes I wish I can add a hat to him ; ;))

Seriously. My Professor Kilimanjaro is in desperate need of a hat and pince-nez glasses!
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is only one character in this game who managed to wear both Mechassassin's gun arm and shield at once. That's right, it's Mechassassin. :rolleyes:

• jagamma01jagamma01 Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It looks like you're making a costume.

Would you like help?

() Get help with making the costume.

() Just make the costume without help.

[] Don't show me this tip again.

clippy.jpg
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    retcon1 wrote: »
    Cryptic is not affraid of clipping. A LOT of newer head pieces go through everything. Try the "Nighthawk" mask for one, you can use it with everything and it clips through everything. Looks horrible.

Cryptic is still extremely against clipping. But the devs simply don't take the time to put the compatibility limitations on the new costume pieces anymore. But they can still do that afterwards! See Nighthawk Hood. :rolleyes:
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now imagine you are a new player, experiencing the character creator for the first time and see all that clipping. You'd think it's shoddy programming, which is what they want to prevent.
    twg042370 wrote:

... This is why they won't change it.

We are talking about the character creator for Champions Online, right? :rolleyes:

I submit that it's been a very very long time, if ever, since what I(and I suspect others) would consider Basic Quality Standards were used in reguards to Costume Unlocks and the overall state and operation of the Creator/Tailor.

In my own observations/experiences I find it far more likely that I will encounter a newbie who is more angry about,"I cannot use X with Y" than "I just put these gloves on and they clip through the model for no good reason." Both are problems, but something like the aforementioned 'beast head with a top hat' comes up far more in my conversations than basic clipping issues.

And the problem here is, IMO, 3 things.
    1. Basic Quality Standards
    -Everything comes in AT LEAST Cloth, Leather, and Metal
    -Everything has standardized color so when I apply Black to piece 1 and peice 2 of the same material(Metal, for example) they both come out the same color.
    -Reasonless Gender Divisions are eliminated.
    -When new pieces are made they, when applicable, are made in Normal, Luchador(which takes into consideration masks and such), and Beastial.
    -The artist looks at the work in Male Front, Male Back, Female Front, and Female Back to make sure that things that line up perfectly for Male Front and don't look like garbage on the other options.

2. Reworking the models to better cut down on bizarre stretching/warping. This occurs in some places on the modals like the chest(mostly female) and armpit areas but can be seen in other places like the back of the head just above the neckline. Some touchup work with the models to smooth out these things would actually make the majority of costume pieces work better than they currently do as well as make more options viable.

3. I've seen the Nighthawk Hood mentioned and I, personally, see this as a step in the right direction...that simply needs better implimentation. I believe most people would prefer more options in the creation of their perfect hero but when those things either are not available or look horrific when they are available it can be frustrating. I believe firmly that if points 1 and 2 came to pass that the proverbial "flood gates" could be opened on most, not all, of the costume unlock restrictions. I do not think this works for the aforementioned beastial top hat but I think that is something that would have to be specifically modified and made into Beastial Top Hat 1.

This is how I see the issue and what I would like to see resolved. As the game progresses the well on this gets deeper and deeper. There are problems like this, as well as problems I didn't even touch on like Pattern Consistance/Bugging(I'm looking at you Nephilim Set) which should be handled on PTS before they end up on Live. Now Bug Reports/QA/PTS/Live is a different can of worms that's crying out for help...but that's another subject for another time. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    crosschan wrote: »
    I've seen the Nighthawk Hood mentioned and I, personally, see this as a step in the right direction...that simply needs better implimentation. I believe most people would prefer more options in the creation of their perfect hero but when those things either are not available or look horrific when they are available it can be frustrating.

I'd say "half a step... backwards". :rolleyes:
    Sure, that hood looked horrible with certain heads. Full Helmets, for example. None of them fits under a hood, so there is no reason to have it available for them. It also clipped badly with many, but not all Monstrous and Bestial heads. For some of those, it worked just fine! Isn't that the point of adding the "custom head wear" option to some of them?
    However, at the end of the day, radically limiting the Nighthawk hood to Hoods was not the best thing to do and definitely nothing I would call a fix.
    To prevent clipping is a good cause, but not at the cost of limits where no limits are necessary!

What we really need is one or two devs carefully looking at the costume pieces and their combinations, sort out only those that can only look wrong, and allow combinations that would look good, using the "custom" selections whenever certain pieces are incompatible with certain heads, bodies or legs of a certain type, but not all.
    I think this could be done in two, at most three days' work.
  • ashyraccoonashyraccoon Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013

That's okay. New players don't get to see all the costume options, as it is, such as any of the beast heads. Just hide the choices with clipping issues behind the post-tutorial, post-level-10 wall too.

I've sometimes wanted both a neck scarf and something with a chest-wear layer, or perhaps a shirt or integrated shoulders, but cannot.
    I'd love to put some hair on some of the beast heads, clipping or not. I can't help but wonder what the mohawk would look like..
  • gynomightgynomight Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Many of the limitations I've noticed wouldn't even be effected by clipping.
    For example, it won't let me put on a wrist watch if I'm wearing the Harajuku jacket. Now what sense does that make?

It honestly would be nice if the character creator thingie would just let us put on anything we'd like without limits.

I totally support this thread.
  • riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »

I found out that crocodile and alligator heads can wear tophats, which looks awesome by the way.

NDzBVCg.jpg

Also, I've made an interesting look due to the lack of limitations to the ancient armor. This is why I hate limits, it stops people from making their hero as great as they could be. But look at his hips, it could use something there, but I can't even put a belt on it!

OONxm3A.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You can use belts with that.

But, yea. There's stuff we could use but can't.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mog555mog555 Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I haven't notice about the limitation for a while, but after I found this thread I knew of something about the lack for my characters.

((Like how many my Beast man want a hat or headgear to fit their jobs))

However full free customization can be a bad thing, like Mechassassin or copy from other bosses can be frustrating. However I would love to see if they can allow Bestial to wear hats or other headgear depend on the head types, allow Wrap Scarf to appear with Jackets Tab or a Mouth Accessories for Bestial heads

This thread have my support, for freedom of customization