test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

13 Alerts, 12 failures: I'm doing it wrong

mashuganamashugana Posts: 87 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Missions and Content
Last night I spent about 2 hours on my level 22 TK Ranged toon doing XP bonus alerts. Did Burst, Smash, and Grab - dockside, heist - bit of everything. And we failed all but one (a dockside).

Is this normal? I know that if you try and do Alerts too soon it can be hard but I thought at 22 I could contribute. I have a good single target maintain attack, 2 self heals & a force bubble to try and stay alive while I maintain the DPS, and I run Seraphim to boost my damage and heals. This seemed like a good Alert build strategy.

Did I hit bad luck? Or is this typical?

I know when I run XP alerts on my level 40 support toon for fun (I like helping lower level players) we almost always succeed. Maybe all my level 40 buffs/debuffs and heals are making the difference for even low level teams? Not sure.

Thanks for any advice :)
Post edited by mashugana on

Comments

• Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    An Alert failure is usually limited to Smashes (including the Nuclear Winter custom alert) with inexperienced and/or low level (pre-15) players. This is mostly due to the time limit of these Alerts. Non-timed Alerts only fail when the team falls apart and people quit.

It's hard to say why you weren't doing well without seeing your build. If you're always tanking with an offensive passive, then it's most likely due to the other players not having that good dps or being inexperienced/afraid to pull aggro. In that case, grabbing a defensive passive (Invul would be the best here) to use during Alerts while in Hybrid role is probably going to help you more than spending time healing yourself.
  • Options
    mashuganamashugana Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Great idea - ty. You nailed it - every failure was a timed alert (or recruiting which is basically timed) and we could not DPS the villain all the way down. We failed with the guy at 5% health more than once. So I felt like we just needed a little extra...something.

I'll try invuln in hybrid to kick out more DPS. Thanks again.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's the pugs, dude. The pugs.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    It's the pugs, dude. The pugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcXMf6rmafs
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is possible to flip a quarter ten times and have it land heads up nine times...

It's also possible for you to queue for alerts and not have one of my toons in there guaranteeing victory.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, I'll try to hit the queue harder in the future.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps it is for the best if alerts are ending up like that, that you do something else or invite a person who can help you be more successful.

Heck hook up with some of us. @Snakewildlife ill do a few with ya.

Finn is right, you gotta avoid Pugs whenever possible.
    PUGtubbs.jpg
    They got nasty attitudes...*has the nuts to tell you how it is:* and they suck!
  • Options
    s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited February 2013

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • Options
    syphervsypherv Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It;s not the players fault ,even though new players can be a bit of a handful but the alerts are not even scaled to your current level, especially with all the gear drops and such, any gear i get i got to wait till 30, i wouldn't mind if they just had 1 xp alert, 1 grab, and 1 burst permanently up there and just swap the different types over but keep the existing form i.e an xp alert for a different xp alert and so forth, that would not be too bad, sure loads of people would take advantage, hell i would, but deep down cryptic and pwe owe us more than that so that shouldn't stop them.

The internetz is one crazy place! tread carefully!