test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forum Ignore function, update

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited February 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
I know some people were asking about this one, and I did some research, so figured I'd post so everyone's up to date on it. The Ignore function is possible on these forums, but putting it in place would require some in-depth coding, it's not an easy on/off switch. We might be able to implement it in a while, but there won't be resources for it anytime soon.

That being said, if there are some features that would work well, I'll look into them. There are some easy changes that I may not know are wanted, like today I changed the auto-logout to be 1.5 hours rather than 5 minutes. Not everything is possible, but if there are things that can make the forums easier to navigate or more fun to be in, I'll certainly look into it. :smile:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A forum "report post" would probably be useful, as well.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So you're saying that, not only can I be 24 hours silenced in the game, I'll soon be able to be 24 hour silenced in the forums?

BOY OH BOY MY DAY JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER DON'T IT? :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Forum ignore works differently -- it's literally just an ignore, preventing the ignorer from seeing anything posted by the ignored.

Report posts are in the same situation, unfortunately. They'd need some coding to enable to Report button.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I miss the days when ignoring someone in game also ignored them on the forums.

Also, shut up Cal! You know you like it when get you chat banned. It's what you get for talking to the filthy peons in zone.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know some people were asking about this one, and I did some research, so figured I'd post so everyone's up to date on it. The Ignore function is possible on these forums, but putting it in place would require some in-depth coding, it's not an easy on/off switch. We might be able to implement it in a while, but there won't be resources for it anytime soon.

That being said, if there are some features that would work well, I'll look into them. There are some easy changes that I may not know are wanted, like today I changed the auto-logout to be 1.5 hours rather than 5 minutes. Not everything is possible, but if there are things that can make the forums easier to navigate or more fun to be in, I'll certainly look into it. :smile:

Whats happening re: future development and communication? I think more are concerned with that then forum semantics.
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think this should have low priority given:

1) This forum does not look like so big on flame wars.

2) If the problem is harashment, forums preserve proof of it(a bit different from the ingame situation when a screenie is commonly needed)

3) There are N+1 more pressing things that devs should be work on.

That being said, forum policies/techs given uniformization done by PWE should be an general endeavor from pwe and not from a single game team.
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We might be able to implement it in a while, but there won't be resources for it anytime soon.

Thats the part that really ###### me off. Theres people investing in the game more than enough to deserve more in return.

Also for those who needed evidence that our money isnt being spent on CO, this is some of it.
  • Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also for those who needed evidence that our money isnt being spent on CO, this is some of it.

Total agreement.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    But resources used on the 'Off Game' features are different than resources used to 'In Game' features, right?
    Right.
    Right?
    Or it just means no new Costume Set to Z-Store for over the Ignore Button.
    Once it's implemented i'm gonna get my moneys worth of the button.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    But resources used on the 'Off Game' features are different than resources used to 'In Game' features, right?
    Right.
    Right?

No.

Either / Or , its all the same. There's 1 forum staff, and so far evidence of 1 'Mystery' person working on the game doing very small mission additions and some very ancient bug fixes. No staff whatsoever came to address our "Calling for a dev"...that clock is still ticking.

Not enough...for simply how much theyre getting from us, this is not enough. The money is very clearly not being re-invested, it's redirected.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic1: People are critisizing us on the forums...

Cryptic2: Hmm.. that's a problem... potential new players might see that and be turned off from trying the game...

Cryptic3: We need to keep the people who disagree with each other on the forums from talking with one another somehow...

Cryptic1: How about we implement some sort of... forum ignore feature?

Cryptic3: ...brilliant! People will ignore anyone who's opinion differs from their own, and arguments won't even be able to start! Hell, those threads won't even get past the first page!

Cryptic2: Yes... just as brilliant as our other plan to reduce the amount of xp needed to level to make it seem like there's more content....

Cryptic1,2,3: <evil laughter and various unwholesome noises indicating a variety of vices>

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    Cryptic1: People are critisizing us on the forums...

Cryptic2: Hmm.. that's a problem... potential new players might see that and be turned off from trying the game...

Cryptic3: We need to keep the people who disagree with each other on the forums from talking with one another somehow...

Cryptic1: How about we implement some sort of... forum ignore feature?

Cryptic3: ...brilliant! People will ignore anyone who's opinion differs from their own, and arguments won't even be able to start! Hell, those threads won't even get past the first page!

Cryptic2: Yes... just as brilliant as our other plan to reduce the amount of xp needed to level to make it seem like there's more content....

Cryptic1,2,3: <evil laughter and various unwholesome noises indicating a variety of vices>

You just made my "ignore" list, pal.

:trollface:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ... Guys, y'all were asking for more communication, right? This is part of that. This is a status update on something that I know some people were asking about.

Some forumites on Friday mentioned it, so I poked at it and researched it a little. It turned out that it wasn't something that I could handle myself, and I judged it as a fairly low priority (this is nifty, but not crucial). As part of trying to make sure everyone was as informed as possible, I posted what I found rather than let it become a recurring, unanswered question.

To head off any questions, the web front-end team is entirely different from the in-game team, but that team is shared with other games. Let me repeat that: the Cryptic devs are utterly uninvolved with forum tech.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    We aint mad at you Turtle :) you're doin ace.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ... Guys, y'all were asking for more communication, right? This is part of that. This is a status update on something that I know some people were asking about.

Some forumites on Friday mentioned it, so I poked at it and researched it a little. It turned out that it wasn't something that I could handle myself, and I judged it as a fairly low priority (this is nifty, but not crucial). As part of trying to make sure everyone was as informed as possible, I posted what I found rather than let it become a recurring, unanswered question.

To head off any questions, the web front-end team is entirely different from the in-game team, but that team is shared with other games. Let me repeat that: the Cryptic devs are utterly uninvolved with forum tech.

So instead of saying the new forums don't have as many existing functions as the old ones, this was posted as evidence of increased communication ? Ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzghbUlLeP4
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ... Guys, y'all were asking for more communication, right?

Honestly TT. Don't even bother. It's gotten to point where people complain when nothing is said and then complain every time something is said as well. People even show up out of the clear blue who haven't been around in forever just to complain. There's only around 30-50 of us consistently here anyway having the same conversations we were having in '10 so you might as well just post stuff in the news section and then lock it. Make people have to start new threads every time they want to 'voice their concerns' about any and everything. Much like the game itself, there isn't enough return on investment on the forums to make them worth the extra energy either.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is good news.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This...no. Jesus, wrong direction.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Exactly.

Thank you, TT, for letting us know. I know this was something that some people wanted, and good job getting it organized and put in.

Curious - can you do this on the NW and STO boards as well? Or are those entirely different versions/forum software?
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Actually, a certain number of people (I think it was 15) pressing the Ignore instead of Report Spam button on you will get you muted as well! :eek:​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Let me repeat that: the Cryptic devs are utterly uninvolved with forum tech.

Yepp .. i suspected that for 2,5 year now, since when the old character page was broken
    and never get fixed. Na ok .. was not really forum tech, more web-programming, but at least
    Cryptic seems to have fired all people who initially created that stuff.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't know who was complaining about your communication on this, but whatevs, thanks for the heads up. Hugs.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    pion01 wrote: »
    I don't know who was complaining about your communication on this, but whatevs, thanks for the heads up. Hugs.

Nobody was.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    vizzonevizzone Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While they're working on the forums, do you think it would be possible to display that a thread is locked before you click the link?
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I vote the ignore button should be Caliga's face.
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Agreed: not TrailTurtle's or Cryptic's fault that PWE bought a really lame forum software suite, and implemented it across all their properties.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Agreed: not TrailTurtle's or Cryptic's fault that PWE bought a really lame forum software suite, and implemented it across all their properties.

Chat system was around prior to PWE buying Cryptic.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While it's really obnoxious that people can lock down your communications (including tells, Supergroup chat, EVERYTHING) with no repercussions, the other part I really hate is that I can't ignore people without potentially doing it to them.

I'd like to simply... not hear someone. Period. I want to remove myself, not remove them, and it's... frustrating.

I mean, I didn't even realize 'ignore' did this until 5-6 months ago, and I was utterly shocked. I wonder how many other players use Ignore, not realizing what a draconian effect it has.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Chat system was around prior to PWE buying Cryptic.

I think revanantmorituri was specifically talking about the forums.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I think revanantmorituri was specifically talking about the forums.

I know. My subtle point is that given how ignore has functioned when last Cryptic implemented it I think we might want to reconsider asking them to implement another one even if a different team is supposed to work on it. It's a slippery slope IMO, might be better to just leave it well enough alone.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I know. My subtle point is that given how ignore has functioned when last Cryptic implemented it I think we might want to reconsider asking them to implement another one even if a different team is supposed to work on it. It's a slippery slope IMO, might be better to just leave it well enough alone.

I thought the previous forum ignore function worked well. People wouldn't lose their posting privileges but you could block people you weren't interested in seeing.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I thought the previous forum ignore function worked well. People wouldn't lose their posting privileges but you could block people you weren't interested in seeing.

The previous function was one baked into the old software by default and not something like what we have here that TT says will require "in-depth coding" and is "not an easy on/off switch." Consider me a little concerned at anything like this that requires some careful coding considering the history we have here. I'm a little gunshy on things here that require extensive tampering at this point.
  • Options
    theevisceratresstheevisceratress Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Champions Online forum is using vBulletin software. More specifically, vBulletin 3.7.1 from what I can tell. I've ran a forum on this software before.

May I ask how this is an in-depth feature that requires coding or modding?

(Also, why such an old software version?)

I'm sorry but this is kind of embarrassing.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    View source strikes again! Gonna make a hero called that now. "View Source"...maybe just Source. Sounds better.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Version 3.7.1, 4.0.0, 5.0.0 whatever-the-bacon-fed-knave version it is, as far as I've known the ignore function has been a built-in feature of vBulletin for quite some time. This thread leaves me scratching my head.

@kenpojujitsu3: I endorse this.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    View source strikes again! Gonna make a hero called that now. "View Source"...maybe just Source. Sounds better.
    Use the Source, Kenpo!

(Damn, now I wish there was somewhere I could find old episodes of that show...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Essentially I think that there needs to be some straight-forward talk. In previous posts kenpo was doing this, although in my opinion a little more vague.

Let's put it this way. Now I'm only re-iterating what kenpo said previously upthread in different language.

If a built in feature of the software cannot perform correctly (it does not need in-depth coding) then we have a problem. This means that some mishmash of coding or modification/plugin is blocking a BASIC FEATURE from doing its job.

Why is this worrisome? Because it means that the software is running with improper mishmash of coding or something that interferes with basic function. This presents a scenario where exploitation and misuse are potentials.

I understand kenpo's sentiments and I hope my wording was clear. Anyone else, feel free to elaborate or weave better wording. This issue does make me a little wary about any other tampering like kenpo.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm a little gunshy on things here that require extensive tampering at this point.

Whatever, their tampering is what makes the game so exciting. Am I going to have a level 40 all the sudden be a level 0? Is my bank going to be 0 g all of the sudden? Will the Hawkwing I bought be nerfed and a better one be released? It's never dull!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Whatever, their tampering is what makes the game so exciting. Am I going to have a level 40 all the sudden be a level 0? Is my bank going to be 0 g all of the sudden? Will the Hawkwing I bought be nerfed and a better one be released? It's never dull!

I've had this happen so please, just don't.
    Essentially I think that there needs to be some straight-forward talk. In previous posts kenpo was doing this, although in my opinion a little more vague.

Let's put it this way. Now I'm only re-iterating what kenpo said previously upthread in different language.

If a built in feature of the software cannot perform correctly (it does not need in-depth coding) then we have a problem. This means that some mishmash of coding or modification/plugin is blocking a BASIC FEATURE from doing its job.

Why is this worrisome? Because it means that the software is running with improper mishmash of coding or something that interferes with basic function. This presents a scenario where exploitation and misuse are potentials.

I understand kenpo's sentiments and I hope my wording was clear. Anyone else, feel free to elaborate or weave better wording. This issue does make me a little wary about any other tampering like kenpo.

Thank you for spelling this out so simply and eloquently.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps it is time to upgrade the forum software to something of this century then, you know to the century where things like buttons for ignoring a forum poster and reporting a post have become standard features in even the most basic of forums?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Something that has been on my conscience I wanted to state: TrailTurtle, this is not an insult towards you.

I don't blame you if you don't know how forum software works, not everyone has experience. I just feel like they flat out lied to your face about this feature. Somewhere, incompetence and/or pure laziness has happened if you were told it would take "in-depth" coding. This is, like re-iterated so many times, a built-in feature of the software and is indeed and off/on click situation.

My utmost apologies if it seems like a personal attack. For all we know, this could have been a forum dev team decision from long ago that they're left to clean the mess up of.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm certain nobody here on these forums has anything but respect for TT.

Yes, he's just doing his job and relaying what he's been told. Nobody blames him for doing that.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I vote the ignore button should be Caliga's face.

with a boxing glove as the mouse cursor :biggrin:
    when are we gonna get a MINI turtle AF?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2013
    draogn wrote: »
    Perhaps it is time to upgrade the forum software to something of this century then, you know to the century where things like buttons for ignoring a forum poster and reporting a post have become standard features in even the most basic of forums?
    I don't blame you if you don't know how forum software works, not everyone has experience. I just feel like they flat out lied to your face about this feature. Somewhere, incompetence and/or pure laziness has happened if you were told it would take "in-depth" coding. This is, like re-iterated so many times, a built-in feature of the software and is indeed and off/on click situation.

Could the problem not be making an ignore function but linking that ignore function to the in-game ignore list and vice versa?
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited February 2013

The old forums ignore function was also directly linked with the ingame ignore function,
    so i supect you could have also chat-ban people at that time via the forums.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Honestly TT. Don't even bother. It's gotten to point where people complain when nothing is said and then complain every time something is said as well. People even show up out of the clear blue who haven't been around in forever just to complain. There's only around 30-50 of us consistently here anyway having the same conversations we were having in '10 so you might as well just post stuff in the news section and then lock it. Make people have to start new threads every time they want to 'voice their concerns' about any and everything. Much like the game itself, there isn't enough return on investment on the forums to make them worth the extra energy either.

Wow Captain Pessimism much?

No. Speak for yourself, I prefer communication over none.

Yes there will be criticism, and yes you are right some of those people are writing only to explain. But I disagree strongly with your approach
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Wow Captain Pessimism much?

No. Speak for yourself, I prefer communication over none.

Yes there will be criticism, and yes you are right some of those people are writing only to explain. But I disagree strongly with your approach

I did speak for myself and I also didn't ask for your approval/agreement in the process when I addressed TT.
  • Options
    erasmuskravenerasmuskraven Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I did speak for myself and I also didn't ask for your approval/agreement in the process when I addressed TT.

I have come back from the depths of time and space to complain about your use of "/" instead of the word "or" .... I now go back to the depths of time and space, carry on. :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have come back from the depths of time and space to complain about your use of "/" instead of the word "or" .... I now go back to the depths of time and space, carry on. :biggrin:

ALLLLLLLL of my hate. *shakes fist menacingly* :mad: