test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vehicles: Phase II?

wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
As we all know, i haven't been very keen on the vehicle system and find the whole thing quite lacking. I do how ever like the concept of having vehicles in game and would gladly buy one if they were made much less expensive, or made better over all to match the cost.

The question here how ever is what's next for them? Hawk wings were just the prototypes, and since reloaded went live we've been given every thing they've shown us. We had the two types of tanks, the until Sky carrier mission, the grav bikes, the hawk wings, and thanks to the most recent mission we've seen the drill vehicles, but what's coming next?

Will we be getting new types of vehicles like cars or helicopters? will vehicles be getting upgraded to be more customisable? Will it go the way of hide outs and such only to be abandoned?

What are your thoughts and opinions on what's going to happen now as well as any ideas you'd want to see incorporated into vehicles? What features or changes do you think should be made to make it a better addition to the game over all?
Post edited by wraithshadow13 on

Comments

• Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As we all know, i haven't been very keen on the vehicle system and find the whole thing quite lacking. I do how ever like the concept of having vehicles in game and would gladly buy one if they were made much less expensive, or made better over all to match the cost.

The question here how ever is what's next for them? Hawk wings were just the prototypes, and since reloaded went live we've been given every thing they've shown us. We had the two types of tanks, the until Sky carrier mission, the grav bikes, the hawk wings, and thanks to the most recent mission we've seen the drill vehicles, but what's coming next?

Will we be getting new types of vehicles like cars or helicopters? will vehicles be getting upgraded to be more customisable? Will it go the way of hide outs and such only to be abandoned?

What are your thoughts and opinions on what's going to happen now as well as any ideas you'd want to see incorporated into vehicles? What features or changes do you think should be made to make it a better addition to the game over all?

What else is there other than to make maybe "tank"ish type ground vehicles? Or maybe even motor-cycles with some kind of super speed mechanic but no flight? In all honestly the whole vehicle thing is running out of steam. As we already have a various arsenal, they can all fly, and even at 2 points of speed, they are faster than a rank 3 superspeed travel power.

What we'd like rather than new vehicles to travel in, is travel powers that have long been requested. Such as wall crawling, a mix of acrobatics and the swing mechanic, roller blades, maybe even a travel method where you point and click and you are instantly teleported or transported to the appointed location?

As for the hideout suggestion, they can make a good profit if only they added hideout extensions, customizable training areas with dummies, purchasing maybe a cosmic level dummy in your hideout for testing purposes? Or how about what the majority of the bigger SG's in the game are asking for...A super Group Head Quarters with the same instance limit as Club Caprice.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have to admit the teleport power power is pretty weak here, COH had a great way of doing it but at the same time didn't feel as epic as it could have. I do like the idea though of a travel power revamp. They're pretty old and untouched, and even the new ones are just reskins of the old and dated. I doubt it would ever happen but i'd love for them to redo a lot of the travel powers to make them more unique as well as letting them get you around better(faster superspeed/teleport, being able to run up walls or across water, being able to get passed curbs while digging). Vehicle travel powers(with out the bad vehicle system) would be nice as well, like you said with the motorcycles and such. Maybe even give each it's own underwater animation instead of the cop out that we get when in lemuria.

For me though i do like the idea of vehicles, i just don't like how they attempted them and i would like to see that system tweaked before it's tossed aside.
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What are your thoughts and opinions on what's going to happen now

theyre going to be abandoned and left unfinished like everything else is my guess...
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While I would love have refiner versions of vehicles, what it is missing is an actual context to use them. So far, either people think they are overpowered or underpowered.

I firmly believe that the same way of STO separates space and ground content. Vehicle content and non-vehicle content should be separate so it won't be needed balancing performance between them. Future lairs/AP/CS/custom alerts could have some encounters planned for vehicles. As for those who decided to not buy anyvehicle a generic prototype could be lend for them.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's done now. We got the grav bikes so the course is set to next Shiney And New Thing.
    Don't think there will be getting 'vehicle only' content since the only one we got is sailing alone above the skies.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The moment they released a reskinned version of the hovertank for 1800 zen was the moment they killed all hopes of vehicles becoming color-customizable.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2013
    We are already in the final phase of vehicles. It proved to be disappointing project not worth the effort, dull, shallow, and handled in the worst possible way.
    Vehicles are trash and their place is in the trash bin.

Here is only the hope that this mistake won't be continued with even more time and resources wasted for nothing.
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The problem i find...and the reason i dont buy or use vehicles is that you cant use them except on trash world-mobs.

There is no reason or excuse that vehicles shouldnt be able to be used in:
    -Outdoor Alerts
    -Outdoor instances (Serpents lantern/resistance)
    -Gravitar (its millenium city for petes sake!!)

Why would i buy something i cant use, i aint stupid Cryptic! Shove that $80 vehicle right up where the sun never shines.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I may be wrong, and I wouldn't mind being wrong if it is generating revenue for them to keep the game on, but I was under the impression that the hoverbikes were the last step for vehicles.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    What we'd like rather than new vehicles to travel in, is travel powers that have long been requested. Such as wall crawling, a mix of acrobatics and the swing mechanic, roller blades, maybe even a travel method where you point and click and you are instantly teleported or transported to the appointed location?

I've already made often jokes of that, and if we would have still some developers i still
    believe the next update would have been something like "World of Wallcawling Devices".

So again something that was more a simple request of many people, and they blow it up
    to a monster that nobody really wanted and they again wasted time with just creating a
    gimmick instead of real content.

Acrobatic and Swinging would be nice however, especially since we saw that it could be done
    when we had the multiple-TP-bug ;)
    Here is only the hope that this mistake won't be continued with even more time and resources wasted for nothing.

The only reason that they maybe don't continue with mistakes like that is, that the development
    of the game has totally stopped now.

reminder for all who would else correct me how false that is :
    Ok .. not totally .. we got one fantastic new quest now after 6 months of nothing .. yay.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They could finally move into making vehicles into travel powers. Ones where we can use our powers while on them. They already figured out the issue of putting characters on the grav bike, so implement that onto something smaller and make the top body do its normal animation thing with the powers. Hell, put it in a lockbox if you want to!

Just give us the vehicles the way we wanted them since the beginning. As travel powers.
    beldin wrote: »
    reminder for all who would else correct me how false that is :
    Ok .. not totally .. we got one fantastic new quest now after 6 months of nothing .. yay.

Its an awesome mission. There's just no reason to do it ever. Replace those rewards with Rank 5 mods and a Rank 6 mod for defeating Mega D that isn't for vehicles and it'll be back in business. Maybe throw in a rare unique device.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They already figured out the issue of putting characters on the grav bike, so implement that onto something smaller and make the top body do its normal animation thing with the powers.

So you would do Martial Arts Kicks only with your Top-Body ? That simply wouldn't work
    and then would people complain for years that they should finally fix kicks while beeing
    on a Vehicle :biggrin:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I love the hover bike and enjoyed slotting the mods in it.

But I could not find content to use it in, and I could not color or switch mats, geo, and texture
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Instead of creating a new thread, I'll slightly hijack this one :)

Can anyone please explain me why vehicles are reputed to be so bad? I do not like them for my toons so I never thought about purchasing one, but should the need arise I would like to know how they work.

I know they are transformation devices, and you can slot them, ok. But what's so bad about them? So far I see they are not customizable as regards colors/patterns (big letdown). In a post above it says they cannot be used in the Gravitar fight? so are they usable only in non-instanced outdoor content (and in the skycarrier mission)???
    Also everyone laments they are underpowered, but at the same time the game as a whole is considered easy, so I am at a loss here...

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Can anyone please explain me why vehicles are reputed to be so bad?

Most people wanted Vehicles just as alternate Travelpowers, and not as glorified Become-Device
    and so Cryptic just wasted too much time with all that Vehicle stuff in my eyes while they could
    have instead better created new "real" content.

Also after it was clear that they were "Become" Devices, a lot players still hoped that they
    were at least highly customizable.

Ah .. and then finally all the Lockbox only stuff.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    So you would do Martial Arts Kicks only with your Top-Body ? That simply wouldn't work
    and then would people complain for years that they should finally fix kicks while being
    on a Vehicle :biggrin:

Make the bike swing when a lower body animation would go off.

Or simply have the vehicle only appear when going top speed with the travel power. When you get into combat or use a power you no longer move at top speed.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also, vehicles don't work with a lot of content (like Alerts).

And people go 'ok, we've had very limited amount of new content... and they decided to do a cash-only lotto system for an elaborate unasked-for system instead of, you know, more missions or zones.'

It was done poorly, and is seen as having used resources better spent elsewhere.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    My idea is still that they should have made them simply as TP Devices.
    Reason : it is problematic to implement fighting with Vehicles, however nobody wants
    another Bat-Flight, so make it a Device and you can still pick 2 other normal TPs.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You can't use other devices when using a vehicle.

Vehicles can only be used in outdoor maps.

Vehicles are fast, but not as easy to maneuver as travel powers.

All vehicles are high-tek style: no magic, no animals/beasts, no alien-tech.

Oh, I don't they are customizable, either.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Telepathy Now
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Where is the Telepathy pass anyways? Or was that moved to another game too?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Does it even work?
    sheldon_cooper.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It did the last it was on PTS. But it was removed in favor of testing lockboxes and Bloodmoon. The graphics weren't set in stone for it.
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Im getting tired of seeing "telepathy now" in every unrelated thread, yes we know it hasnt been completed, but this game has WAY bigger issues than that, like having NO PERMENENT STORY CONTENT FOR 15 MONTHS when it never had much to begin with!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Im getting tired of seeing "telepathy now" in every unrelated thread, yes we know it hasnt been completed, but this game has WAY bigger issues than that, like having NO PERMENENT STORY CONTENT FOR 15 MONTHS when it never had much to begin with!

Wow...I did not see this response coming...yes, that was a telepathy joke
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow...I did not see this response coming...yes, that was a telepathy joke

And here I was going to say I was a Lucy post away from scoring 'BINGO'.
    I love the hover bike and enjoyed slotting the mods in it.

But I could not find content to use it in, and I could not color or switch mats, geo, and texture

The hovertanks are fun in their own right too, but yeah, what Brou said.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can anyone please explain me why vehicles are reputed to be so bad?

--Freeform characters can out DPS a vehicle by over x15 times.
    --Freeform characters can out-heal a vehicle by over x15 times.
    --Freeform characters can have defenses/dodge/absorb far greater than a vehicle by over x10 times.
    (can a vehicle do this for even 5 seconds? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIj9yFKzvSk ... no it cant)
    --Vehicles cost upwards of around $80...freeform slot costs over 50% less.
    --Doesnt have Block
    --No choice of Passives
    --No choice of Pets
    --Very little powers, most of which are a Typical Cryptic Copy/Paste Done! job of PA powers.
    --Powers provided are so weak, its powerbuilder does more than the powers.
    --YOU CANT EVEN USE THEM HARDLY ANYWHERE.
    And much more...

The only reason i have found to own a vehicle is this:
    --Travel speed is the fastest in the game.

Thats it.... to me, its only a travel power..nothing more. Calling vehicles a piece o junk is almost a compliment to how bad it is. It's so bad it stinks, it stinks so bad it eats your money and gives you nothing back in return, its buffulo barf on a hot pile of manure.

OMGAVGN.jpg
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I haven't really been in game more than like 5 mins at a time in the past 3 months, so can anyone fill me in on whether or not people are actually seeing other people with vehicles in game?

Cuz I'm figuring if most players are doing alerts and not actually doing stuff out side or traveling to instances, there's no real reason to buy a vehicle...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    There are quite a few of them but no one is buying unless its for the 8 slot at the lowest in game price. And the regulars who do have them have them activated a lot with Super Magnifier. So they are impossible to miss.

Though you never see the things in any events or alerts. The places where you think they would make a difference.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    -watches as the thread slowly changes into a completely different topic *coughcoughtelepathycoughcough* -
    :biggrin:
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Till I'm RE-Forum banned get used to it.

Cause Crap Vehicles are the reason I don't have TELEPATHY NOW and thus quit the game.
    xcaligax wrote: »
    -watches as the thread slowly changes into a completely different topic *coughcoughtelepathycoughcough* -
    :biggrin:

No one wants to buy or even talk about vehicles.. HAHA
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    if vehicles are officially being tossed aside like everything else in this game gets, then now does seem to be the perfect time to get back on schedule revamping the things that do work in this game. Telepathy being a good one since it should have been done before the vehicles came out, and i wouldnt mind darkness getting new visuals either.

Since every one here seem to agree that the Vehicles were poorly implemented and there for will be forgotten, what all would you like to see next? We already have the Vote for Telepathy now, but what else would you want done to make the game a little more than what it is now?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a Hawkwing jet (that someone was giving away). Blackwing uses it as a quick way to get across large maps like Canada. And I think she used it once to clear mobs from a hot LZ, so she could run in and do the nearby mission...

So really, Vehicles are already a TP. Sure, you can slot weapons in there and pretend you're playing World of Tanks in the air, but you can also choose to use it solely to get from place to place.

Personally, I'd love to be able to purchase a Copperhead grav bike for Farhunter, because the appearance and color scheme suit his theme - and as per his theme, he'd dismount before engaging in combat, because shooting at something from a position of relative safety carries no thrill for him.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The reason vehicles are in such a bad spot right now is because all of the open world boss content/instances are useless. They took away all the rewards for doing them except an occasional piece of green gear and 1 point of recognition. That doesn't spell please join this battle, that spells I might do this open world instance if I'm completely bored, just happen to be there and have nothing better to do.

Put some of those legacy items back into the open world boss drop pool, put some of the costume pieces back in there, put some of the cool rewards action figures etc back into them and people with vehicles might actually have a place to use them. <
    Which is the main problem. I like vehicles and all but without open world missions being worth a damn and have a place to actually use vehicles, it kind of kills the point of them.

That mayor mission on the north side of millinium city has been bugged for so god damn long I forgot what the hell the thing was about.

Fix open world missions, give them some value for actually doing, doesn't matter if its questionite make them worth a damn. Once that happens vehicles will actually serve a purpose in battle.

I've been working on a new title over the past few weeks for the Unity engine and I gotta say, whatever the hell is slowing you guys down from making progress needs to have its time cut short so your professional aptitude still looks good. It took me literally 2 days to height map, bump texture, and terrain texture 2 full maps that are the size of 2 and a half millennium cities......by myself. I dunno whats going on over there but holy crap its slow.

If it only takes me 2 days to set terrain, another 2 days to lay objects, and another 3 days to set up quests, npcs, mob tables, drops, lighting, skyboxes, and water...by myself. You guys have no excuse for being slow with way more people involved. If I can make an entire 2 maps full of full content in a week by myself, there's no reason it should take you guys 2-3 months to release a quest line with 1-2 new cave sized areas.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I dunno where people are getting 80 bucks from. I got a tank for 15, my hover bike was around 20, and I just got a hawkwing jet at a CC for free. I got more than enough mods and weapons to go around, and low level ones (as always) are dirt cheap in the AH.

Personally? I like em. Is it a vanity thing? Sure. But I've also bought every costume set in game except maybe 2. Since when was this game *not* about vanity to a large degree? Sidenote: We got new content, too, with sky carrier. Nobody plays it. Takes me an average of a half hour to get a party going, it's actually worse than gravitar. Might be why they spend limited resources on shiny stuff instead of repeatable instanced content. Just my 2 cents, unpopular tho I'm sure they are.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Till I'm RE-Forum banned get used to it.

Cause Crap Vehicles are the reason I don't have TELEPATHY NOW and thus quit the game.

No one wants to buy or even talk about vehicles.. HAHA

So basically you want a remake of APOCALYPSE NOW with Deanna Troi and Jean Grey as the leads? You don't ask for much do you @__@&quot;
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The next major thing to come to Champions Online:

Champions Online! Sidekicks! done poorly*

*god I hope not
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    pion01 wrote: »
    I haven't really been in game more than like 5 mins at a time in the past 3 months, so can anyone fill me in on whether or not people are actually seeing other people with vehicles in game?

Cuz I'm figuring if most players are doing alerts and not actually doing stuff out side or traveling to instances, there's no real reason to buy a vehicle...

Personally, I see vehicles very infrequently. I'll say I've seen less than a dozen over the last two to three weeks. I saw them the most on Monster Island being used to fight Wild Eye, Mega Terak and Chimera with Ren Cen being a distant second in places I've seen them.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    So basically you want a remake of APOCALYPSE NOW with Deanna Troi and Jean Grey as the leads? You don't ask for much do you @__@&quot;

... I think I'll put my chips on Jean Grey...
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?