test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Elemental Debuffs?

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Suggestions Box
I was just thinking about how well Defile works and the debuff to resistance vs toxic damage it provides...I was thinking perhaps other sets in the elemental category could get something like this/would it be a sound idea? I'd like to standardise them based on Defile's values on the wiki so they would be on par with it.

Electricity - Super Conductor - Super Conductor greatly damages your target and weakens their resistance to your electrical attacks. (Applies SuperCharged! Debuff)

Advantage - Ionic Infusion - Fully charging Super Conductor on targets which have the Negative Ions debuff on them turns them into a temporary conduit for lightning attacks. Making them and nearby targets suffer Deadly Sparks damage over 15 secs.

Fire - Searing Blast - Searing Blast greatly damages your target and weakens their resistance to your consecutive fire attacks. (Applies Heated Flames Debuff)

Advantage - Pyrokinetic Intentions - Applying Searing Blast to targets affected by Clinging Flames causes the Clinging Flames to erupt into Blazing Fire which deals moderate fire damage to target and applies Clinging Flame debuff to nearby targets.

Ice - Freezing Strike - Freezing Strike greatly damages your target and weakens their resistance to your Ice attacks. (Applies Frozen Debuff)

Advantage - Winter's Grip - Hitting targets which are affected by more than 2 instances of Chill or trapped in an Ice Structure will have a 75% chance to be affected by Winter's Grip which is an Paralyze. (Creates Ice Structures which can be detonated via Shatter)

Wind - Wrath of the Storm - Wrath of the Storm greatly damages your target and weakens their resistance to your Wind attacks. (Applies Weathered Debuff)

Advantage - Erosive Winds - Using this power (fully charged) against targets affected by Stagger or more than 2 instances of Knock Back Resistance will cause this power to ignore 5% of their lowered resistance value.

Force - Force Advancement - Force Advancement greatly damages your target and weakens their resistance to your Force attacks. In addition, it decreases the buff time of Knock Back Resistance Stacks. (Applies Instability Debuff)

Advantage - Now who's in Control? - Allows Force Advancement to apply containment fields to targets in a 10ft radius of your target which does minor crushing damage over time and self detonates after 10 seconds, regardless if the target has broken out of the hold, the shield will remain and detonate on target.

The thinking behind this was to provide some way for sets to have a hard hitting power like Infernal...I'm not to sure on the allowance of critting...I'm tempted to say that powers like Defile are quite OP, and either need to be changed so they don't crit or perhaps have their damage reduced. But for the moment lets say these can crit..any glaring issues with these powers?
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• soupologysoupology Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't think layering debuffs on them is something that makes them comparably better, rather is to create a specific niche on how the sets work in synergy. (Don't make anything just a flat damage bonus)

Fire sets work by having strong debuffing spells that work in conjunction with hard hitting maintains
    (Fireball+Firesnake+Heatwave+Conflagration) The set just lacks having a non-gimped energy return (Overdrive doesn't work with Conflagration)

Ice sets should function (thematically because ice is sharp) on using the critical mechanic, focusing on improving Critical Chance or Critical severity. Possibility with the use of Chill mechanics with a power to increase their Critical Severity (Because if you're frozen/cold, you move a lot more and therefore makes it easier to use precise critical strikes)

Electricity has become rather bland, it's your standard I do a lot of damage and hit things with it. What I'd liked to see is having a greater difference between the base damage. (10-100 instead of 40-60), and the powers in the set make it so that the difference gets smaller (Still using the superconducter idea) So it ends up going to (40-100) instead.

Wind is what I think a powerset that needs some work. I like the knockback mechanic in the Wind set, what's missing is how can you exploit that to create a more unique power-set. Perhaps having something like when you have someone immune from being knocked around, Wind poers get stronger. (Because getting blown away means you aren't taking the full force of the wind, rather you end up riding it.)

Force doesn't need a debuff primarily, force needs a proper energy return maybe Polar Reverberation where if you use a knock-up, using a knock down while the a buff created by the knock-up power will return energy. Following this would be using the mechanics you provided which use containment fields, rather, I'd like to see a charging/ramping mechanic. How you'll use some force skills to add Gravitational Charges before using Force Advancement (Would like to see this as a buff self which makes the next power perform that effect.) So if you use things like Force Snap, Force Geyser then use Force Advancement followed by Force Cascade, you produce a powerset with a lot of burst damage. So given this you could have a rotation of charging up this power then using it giving you the ability for a few seconds to add stacking containment fields (CC will only be applied for the first iteration, others will just explode.) Which I think would be something that makes force a unique powerset by having a lot of ramp up time to hit that Burst Damage period.

I think these changes would make them competitive power-sets while making them unique in gameplay.
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Anybodeh read this? ;o

Yes, but the idea itself is a brainfart. All of the mentioned damage types are ranged. Ranged is the least thing in the game that needs to be buffed any further.

(i know what you are trying to do there. U want Telepathy/force to be overpowered, but it aint gonna happen)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soupologysoupology Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes, but the idea itself is a brainfart. All of the mentioned damage types are ranged. Ranged is the least thing in the game that needs to be buffed any further.

I think this is true, especially with the trend of gravitar coming abount, being in ranged simply is easier and safer than being in melee range. This contributes to why we ranged tends to be the highest DPS. I think this is more of a function of how the game is, and I wouldn't be surprised if the balanced were to slightly be nerfed.

(i know what you are trying to do there. U want Telepathy/force to be overpowered, but it aint gonna happen)DOOM talk + I don't think the option is for OP but for playability comparable to alot of power sets that are in existence right now.

Reply in Orange
  • stauchstauch Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    soupology wrote: »
    I don't think layering debuffs on them is something that makes them comparably better, rather is to create a specific niche on how the sets work in synergy. (Don't make anything just a flat damage bonus)

Fire sets work by having strong debuffing spells that work in conjunction with hard hitting maintains
    (Fireball+Firesnake+Heatwave+Conflagration) The set just lacks having a non-gimped energy return (Overdrive doesn't work with Conflagration)

Ice sets should function (thematically because ice is sharp) on using the critical mechanic, focusing on improving Critical Chance or Critical severity. Possibility with the use of Chill mechanics with a power to increase their Critical Severity (Because if you're frozen/cold, you move a lot more and therefore makes it easier to use precise critical strikes)

Electricity has become rather bland, it's your standard I do a lot of damage and hit things with it. What I'd liked to see is having a greater difference between the base damage. (10-100 instead of 40-60), and the powers in the set make it so that the difference gets smaller (Still using the superconducter idea) So it ends up going to (40-100) instead.

Wind is what I think a powerset that needs some work. I like the knockback mechanic in the Wind set, what's missing is how can you exploit that to create a more unique power-set. Perhaps having something like when you have someone immune from being knocked around, Wind poers get stronger. (Because getting blown away means you aren't taking the full force of the wind, rather you end up riding it.)

Force doesn't need a debuff primarily, force needs a proper energy return maybe Polar Reverberation where if you use a knock-up, using a knock down while the a buff created by the knock-up power will return energy. Following this would be using the mechanics you provided which use containment fields, rather, I'd like to see a charging/ramping mechanic. How you'll use some force skills to add Gravitational Charges before using Force Advancement (Would like to see this as a buff self which makes the next power perform that effect.) So if you use things like Force Snap, Force Geyser then use Force Advancement followed by Force Cascade, you produce a powerset with a lot of burst damage. So given this you could have a rotation of charging up this power then using it giving you the ability for a few seconds to add stacking containment fields (CC will only be applied for the first iteration, others will just explode.) Which I think would be something that makes force a unique powerset by having a lot of ramp up time to hit that Burst Damage period.

I think these changes would make them competitive power-sets while making them unique in gameplay.

This sounds much better than adding res debuffs to every set.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    (i know what you are trying to do there. U want Telepathy/force to be overpowered, but it aint gonna happen)

Oh yes you must clearly be correct because I mentioned a telepathy addition there didnt I? Telepathy/Force will never be OP neither do I want it to, there is no point in rolling out another OP powerset, it just makes people's builds even MORE imbalanced than it already is.

I did state my intention for the idea in the first place, I see you've magically managed to pull out a telepathy/force statement against me for no apparent reason...

However on that note, try running a telepathy build using mainly telepathy powers in the "intended" way i.e. support and see how amazing it is and how much power it wields and how it is on par with other powersets. If you want OP, I'm pretty sure you know where to go for it...

EDIT: Even if I do want telepathy to be able to stand on its own (something I desperately crave), it's not going to happen anytime soon, no matter how much whining and QQing I and others do, it's going to stay locked up whereever it is until they are so bored of nothingness they decide to look at it..
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Well duh, of course they are going to be ranged..the title of this post was New ELEMENTAL Debuffs.

I think Melee, is quite powerful, especially Unarmed and some parts of Single and Dual Blade powersets, but as Soupology has stated, ranged is generally safer.

I have nothing against melee and I'd happily suggest some melee debuffs but I'm sure more experienced forumites in that area of gameplay could come up with some.