test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Look at other MMO's and see what they are doing for content

powerphistpowerphist Posts: 10 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Suggestions Box
I have to say this game had awesome content when it first came out, and the comic series was awesome. However ever since the "content" has not been coming out. One daily mission to get reports is not real content. Take a look at other games and see how much story they put out with each patch they do. Rift, wow, Lotro, they all release whole new areas every now and then. They add to their overall stories. I just want to see this game be great again, and players to come back to it. Please, hire some more comic writers and do a comic series again or add a whole new area with an engaging story line, you did that with Vibora bay you can do it again.
Post edited by powerphist on

Comments

• serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    last (and ONLY) zone they added was vibora bay 3 years ago
    last permenent story content (ie actual content) was whiteout 14 months ago

sad fact is PW dont care and arent adding real content AT ALL
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    last permanent story content (ie actual content) was whiteout 14 months ago

Yep... *sigh*
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's been like this for a very long time now. It's not going to change any time soon. At this point most likely never. Your choices;

1. Impotently complain and keep playing.
    2. Accept it and keep playing.
    3. Impotently complain and move on.
    4. Accept it and move on.
    last permenent story content (ie actual content) was whiteout 14 months ago

Even if i don't really call Alerts actual "content", i would say since On Alert there was at least
    a steady development in the game, and i had the feeling that there were also quite some devs
    working on CO.

But after that the development has become less and less, and is now down to null :frown:

Just take a look at the PTS Forum .. when was the last patch there that actually had any
    patchnotes that were worth reading ? :redface:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Work on this game has slowed to a trickle, even while STO has gotten a good deal of new areas in the past year or so (Fleet bases, New Romulus, and other stuff) and even earned an award recently as Best Free MMO. Meanwhile, massive resources have been poured into getting NWO ready for release later this year.

And during this time we've gotten some stuff -- what amounts to token content in the way of Alerts and a few Events.

I know there have been posts about things in development for CO, but these have taken so long that even I, one of the most optimistic and hopeful people you're ever likely to know, am fretting that nothing significant will ever happen here.

The long-promised semi-gritty new city zone (East Millennium City, I hope?) would be the most welcome addition, though a new Comic Series would be enough to keep us interested.

Likewise, once NWO is launched I will be very disappointed if we don't start seeing serious work done toward a Foundry in CO.
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Work on this game has slowed to a trickle, even while STO has gotten a good deal of new areas in the past year or so (Fleet bases, New Romulus, and other stuff) and even earned an award recently as Best Free MMO. Meanwhile, massive resources have been poured into getting NWO ready for release later this year.

And the catch-22? STO actually has the players and people paying for the game so they do get the updates. You can't even say the same about Champions.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited January 2013
    And the catch-22? STO actually has the players and people paying for the game so they do get the updates. You can't even say the same about Champions.

Thats not WHY they havent released content, its BECAUSE they havent.

If they didnt release any for STO that would have a fraction of the current population as well.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm going with option 5 (remain hopeful and keep playing) until about six months after NWO finally goes live. If, at that point, we have no more updates and no tangible promises of any in the future, I'll sigh and drop back to option 2, because despite everything I still really like this game.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thats not WHY they havent released content, its BECAUSE they havent.

If they didnt release any for STO that would have a fraction of the current population as well.

STO has had a consistently larger player base than Champions. Even in their period of drought they still had a much larger player base than Champions. Add on top of that the lockboxes appear to be at least successful over there given the pop ups that will occur; here they are met with bitter resentment.

Saying we aren't getting the content seems to be missing the point as well; people were willing to pay for the small things, even the lockboxes over there, add in the fact they have a larger player base. Couple that fact with things are actually cheaper here and people still rail against the walls about it all and many posts boldly claim they will never pay, that's the catch-22. Without money equals little to no content for the game.

In short, no input equals little return.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Judging from what I've seen on other MMO boards, content is an issue for more MMOs than just Champions Online. It's almost universal.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    STO has had a consistently larger player base than Champions. Even in their period of drought they still had a much larger player base than Champions.

STO has the whole MMO market for Star Trek. Champions was competing against CoX and DCU. Cryptic saw the numbers and would rather run a game that gives them a monopoly instead of compete.

Champions was promising and they would rather take the easy route.
    edited January 2013
    STO has had a consistently larger player base than Champions. Even in their period of drought they still had a much larger player base than Champions. Add on top of that the lockboxes appear to be at least successful over there given the pop ups that will occur; here they are met with bitter resentment.

Saying we aren't getting the content seems to be missing the point as well; people were willing to pay for the small things, even the lockboxes over there, add in the fact they have a larger player base. Couple that fact with things are actually cheaper here and people still rail against the walls about it all and many posts boldly claim they will never pay, that's the catch-22. Without money equals little to no content for the game.

My point still stands, if they had been here 3 years with as little support as we had it would be a ghost town.

Their 'drought' wasnt as long, or as far into its life as it has been here. If they had been here 3 years and just had 5 adventures added, it would be dead in the water, far worse off than champions is with that same level of neglect.

Not to mention champions since nov 2012 (and they have known about it for months before then, we all knew 2 months before, and they were in on the decision as they own the licence for the engine CoX was using) has basically had no competition (DC is a completely different game attracting a far different element than CoX and CO for the mainpart)

It could easily have doubled or trippled its population easily if they just finally supported it. If it had been as supported from launch as STO has, it would be more like 5 times its current population or more.

Long story short, they dropped the ball big time with this game, saying it has a lower population than STO and thats why it gets no attention is a cop out. If it HAD gotten the attention instead of 3 years of steadily increasing neglect it would have far more population than it does.
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Except they could have made money from CO but instead seem intent on shooting them selves in the foot. Adventure packs and comic series could have been paid content quite easily instead they chose to make them free which was a great gesture but seems a bit stupid from the make money point of view.

lock boxes as well they seem almost universally hated yet there pushing forward with them now i understand there probably a directive from higher up the tree than cryptic but it seems bad practice on the part of who ever makes that decision to not have the flexibility to alter or change there plans. I honestly think lock boxes could have accepted even suspenseful had they not pretty much hole sale replaced the zstore either directly in the case of vehicles or indirectly in the case of the drifter store which you require drifter salvage for which can pretty much only be had from lock boxes

in short there's ways they could be making money from CO they just seem intent on ignoring them
  • zazelbyzazelby Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The "paying for new content" issue is not the same now as it was when they tried to make people pay for Vibora Bay, either.

When they tried to make Vibora Bay a paid expansion, they did it while the game was still on a full subscription model. They were asking people who were already paying for the game to pay for the game, and that's why there was so much resistance.

Instead, they can now do what CoH did with a few of its last areas - subscribers get the new area for free, while F2P players have to pay separately.

So there's something in between "everyone has to pay" and "everyone gets it for free" that they can shoot for, but right now they're just doing one or the other.

"It is unthinkable. But such is the nature of villainy, don't you think? To do the unthinkable, to challenge the impossible, to conquer all before you and make destiny your own." - Ghost Widow

And that's why I like villains.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Taintedmess, the adventure packs used to be pay-to-play. They were free for subscribers, in order to avoid a Vibora Pay-type explosion, but if you were Silver and wanted to run Demonflame or Serpent Lantern, you had to shell out.

A lot of Silvers declined the opportunity. The sales simply weren't there. Making them Free For All (the name of the game, right?) was the only way to get more people to play them.

That's not "shooting themselves in the foot," that's acknowledging reality.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We've got a weird loop going on. We don't have a ginormous playerbase so they don't put as much staff into it meaning we grow at a slower and usually less tightly focused rate, meaning we don't get a ginormous playerbase so they don't put as much staff into it.
    It is a shame, since Champs is the cream of the crop of superhero mmos still active at this point in time IMO.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • stauchstauch Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    vorshoth wrote: »
    We've got a weird loop going on. We don't have a ginormous playerbase so they don't put as much staff into it meaning we grow at a slower and usually less tightly focused rate, meaning we don't get a ginormous playerbase so they don't put as much staff into it.
    It is a shame, since Champs is the cream of the crop of superhero mmos still active at this point in time IMO.
    More commonly, it's called a Catch-22 situation. :tongue:

Ok, maybe not a strict Catch-22 but it's the same principle.
  • bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    stauch wrote: »
    More commonly, it's called a Catch-22 situation. :tongue:

Ok, maybe not a strict Catch-22 but it's the same principle.

More of a "vicious cycle."
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Taintedmess, the adventure packs used to be pay-to-play. They were free for subscribers, in order to avoid a Vibora Pay-type explosion, but if you were Silver and wanted to run Demonflame or Serpent Lantern, you had to shell out.

A lot of Silvers declined the opportunity. The sales simply weren't there. Making them Free For All (the name of the game, right?) was the only way to get more people to play them.

That's not "shooting themselves in the foot," that's acknowledging reality.

Im aware they used to be paid content and then went free which seems like pretty bad from a make money point of view sure make 1 or 2 free but not them all and especially dont stop making them. also the rewards for doing them would have to be worth while.

but im sure they could have made them viable instead of just saying here there free and were doing no more.