test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The end of this Lemurian Invasion event better be spectacular

sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
From the STO State of the Game published today (the 4th since our last SotG, for the record):
In the coming months, we will begin to reveal our vision for the future. We'll discuss and preview new adventures, new enemies, new events, and even more surprises that will define the roadmap for the years to come. We'll answer some long standing questions about how we view existing and future factions in the game, and we'll give details about how we plan to advance the overall storyline and resolve outstanding issues in the game. With the full effort of the development staff cranking it to Warp 9 (even moving to a 6 day work week!) this is poised to be the best year of Star Trek Online yet.

So STO has a 50-plus-strong dev team working 6-day weeks to crank out meaningful content.

Meanwhile, we're in the middle of an event that is, so far, half-assed even by half-assed standards, but comes with some wonderful new lockboxes you can spend entirely too much money on.

I'm rapidly running out of craps to give. I really, really hope they've been sandbagging us on the run-up to the invasion itself, and we're in for a great, fun surprise. I'm really, really expecting another buggy wet fart like the post-anniversary Destroid event.

I'm still not ready to publicly state what my (admittedly crazy) Cryptic conspiracy theory is, but this five-minutes-of-modest-Q-farming teaser is doing nothing to disabuse me of my notions.

Vent over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled cogentco outage, already in progress.
Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My biggest Irrational Fear is that ...They might be planning to give us the axe, then "revive" this as Champions 2.0.

Same thing, Minus LTS and Archetypes, with some fancy tweaks here and there...

But then again i am just really paranoid lately.

So just ignore me...

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • amosov78amosov78 Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How many people are playing Champs at the moment?
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Considering nothing substantial has been added since On Alert, not that many.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    flechus wrote: »
    My biggest Irrational Fear is that ...They might be planning to give us the axe, then "revive" this as Champions 2.0.

This fear of yours sounds like a very good idea.
    From the STO State of the Game published today (the 4th since our last SotG, for the record):

So STO has a 50-plus-strong dev team working 6-day weeks to crank out meaningful content.

Meanwhile, we're in the middle of an event that is, so far, half-assed even by half-assed standards, but comes with some wonderful new lockboxes you can spend entirely too much money on.

I'm rapidly running out of craps to give. I really, really hope they've been sandbagging us on the run-up to the invasion itself, and we're in for a great, fun surprise. I'm really, really expecting another buggy wet fart like the post-anniversary Destroid event.

I'm still not ready to publicly state what my (admittedly crazy) Cryptic conspiracy theory is, but this five-minutes-of-modest-Q-farming teaser is doing nothing to disabuse me of my notions.

Vent over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled cogentco outage, already in progress.

Completely agree with you. Just wanted to say how funny your post was. The way you phrased everything gave me a good laugh. Thanks I needed that. :biggrin:

So just ignore me...

You might be onto something there. I've also had such suspicions. What with this Phoenix Project they're working on and all. Though that could just be the revival of CoH.
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited January 2013

So just ignore me...

Stop saying scary things!!!
    LIVE CHAMPIONS ONLINE! LIIIVVEE!!!!

-Throws wallet at screen-
    :confused:
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    But we got a helmet! And we get to see Julie Morgan's frowny face! Maybe in the next mission Foxbat will do something funny!
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The problem here - what many people seem to forget - is the following fact:
    STO gets more/better treatment, devs and development time, because the license to that lore and universe does not lie with Cryptic. Lets imagine STO would get the same treatment as CO does currently: They'd lose that license before they can say klingon.

But Cryptic (or PWE?) has bought the license for the Champions Universe, which allows them to treat it as they like. Comparisons with STO are thus a bit... well, unfitting.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The problem here - what many people seem to forget - is the following fact:
    STO gets more/better treatment, devs and development time, because the license to that lore and universe does not lie with Cryptic. Lets imagine STO would get the same treatment as CO does currently: They'd lose that license before they can say klingon.

But Cryptic (or PWE?) has bought the license for the Champions Universe, which allows them to treat it as they like. Comparisons with STO are thus a bit... well, unfitting.

So....they (PWE) now own the pencil and paper game?

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    So....they (PWE) now own the pencil and paper game?

They (Cryptic) have for years now. They bought the entire IP and license it back to the original owners so they can use it for the PnP. And now that PWE owns Cryptic...
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They (Cryptic) have for years now. They bought the entire IP and license it back to the original owners so they can use it for the PnP. And now that PWE owns Cryptic...

Oh. Ick. I actually liked the p-n-p version of the game long time ago. D:

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Half-assed by half-assed standards. Does this mean that the current "event" is "quarter-assed"?
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If you're still hanging around at this point hoping for the "big reveal of amazing new content", I have a feeling you're setting yourselves up for some major disappointment. I believe we're in the final phase of CO's life cycle: "milk the last holdout players of a few more bucks, without acknowledging we cancelled the development budget of this game 3 months ago".
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    Half-assed by half-assed standards. Does this mean that the current "event" is "quarter-assed"?

It can get worse.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited January 2013

Ah, thanks for that. :biggrin: Now I just need to find where the event is on that scale.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You see thats why I went on hols this week. This event will only get my interest if the last battle drops a lockbox with a 100% chance of getting a diamond pony called Butt Stallion.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited January 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    You see thats why I went on hols this week. This event will only get my interest if the last battle drops a lockbox with a 100% chance of getting a diamond pony called Butt Stallion.

Butt Stallion is real! >>>Right here!<<<
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • deathsentry2012deathsentry2012 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Coming from CoH and seeing this, yeah, I'm worried; because based on what I've seen with the game, I think you're right. I've decided not to spend any more money on costumes, upgrades, etc and will keep my gold a little longer only because I really like my freeforms. If there was a way that I could pay once for 3 freeform slots, I'd stop my gold subscription altogether.
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    If you're still hanging around at this point hoping for the "big reveal of amazing new content", I have a feeling you're setting yourselves up for some major disappointment. I believe we're in the final phase of CO's life cycle: "milk the last holdout players of a few more bucks, without acknowledging we cancelled the development budget of this game 3 months ago".
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Coming from CoH and seeing this, yeah, I'm worried; because based on what I've seen with the game, I think you're right. I've decided not to spend any more money on costumes, upgrades, etc and will keep my gold a little longer only because I really like my freeforms. If there was a way that I could pay once for 3 freeform slots, I'd stop my gold subscription altogether.
    There is, but at $150 US, you might as well just go whole-hog and drop $299 on an LTS, and get (IIRC) sixteen Freeform slots and a bunch of perks...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nepht wrote: »

B-b-b-best game ever!

<3 Tiny Tina
    biffsig.jpg
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    There is, but at $150 US, you might as well just go whole-hog and drop $299 on an LTS, and get (IIRC) sixteen Freeform slots and a bunch of perks...

Do you know why I never did this even though I bought a heap of Cryptic points back in the day and with a bit more cash I probably could have?

One evening I tried to log into the game. Instead of the launcher, I got a notification from GoDaddy telling me that the service wasn't paid for. This didn't make me think the game was getting much attention from the company and might die off soonish.

They seem to be able to pay the bills regularly and "soonish" has turned into "lingering". But I've seen little to make me think that On Alert wasn't a "Hail Mary" to try and keep the game going a bit longer while everything got diverted to Neverwinter.

No use crying over spilled Gronds, though. I'll keep reading the forums for things that peak my interest and log in and play when that happens. Game goes, the game goes. It sticks around for a few more years, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
    B-b-b-best game ever!

<3 Tiny Tina

Tina gives me THE FEAR @_@&quot;

News_DoNotWant.jpg

But yeah BL2 is epic much better than the first one :3
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »

Yes, it is 16 along with the permanent bonus of getting a free one every time a character hits the level cap.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jzsquared wrote: »
    Completely agree with you. Just wanted to say how funny your post was. The way you phrased everything gave me a good laugh. Thanks I needed that. :biggrin:

You might be onto something there. I've also had such suspicions. What with this Phoenix Project they're working on and all. Though that could just be the revival of CoH.

Phoenix project is no such thing, has nothing to do with Cryptic, nor anyone else.

Phoenix project is a fan-made... thing trying to "recapture the spirit of CoX" by doing.... things. Like a character creator. It has no funding, no company, no teams, it's all volunteer stuff.

And it may still be able to churn out more content than CO.

edit: to the OP - it will not be spectacular in a good way.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    wouldn't that be the kicker, the end event of this invasion is the end event for Champions online. What was supposed to be Dr. Destroyer destryoing MC (like he did detroit) is now going to be the Kraken destroying it killing the game once and for all.

all of course right after the weekend once they've sold a few more C-store items and maybe a new reskin TP.

So far though the new event really lacks pretty much... everything. Rather than let this game die the slow horrible death it's been getting, they should bring on the Project Phoenix team to make this game the sequel it should have been to begin with rather than its current statusas the sequel that Meh.......