test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dusting off and updating a level 40 Sorcery build

mashuganamashugana Posts: 87 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Power Discussion
I just got back to CO and spent the last week leveling a TK hero to get used to the game again. Now I'd like to dust off and update my level 40 Sorcery hero. Questions:

1) What are people doing at max level? Lairs? Alerts? Repeatable grinding for XXX resource/gear/loot?

2) My old Sorcery character was a support beast - lots of buffs, debuffs, and massive healing. Is that still useful in a team?

3) Is it better to build a more hybrid role to mix DPS and support since most level 40s are pretty self sufficient?

4) Any changes to pets/holds/debuffs etc. over the past 6 months that I should be aware of?

5) I think my solo build is pretty straightforward - run in support with AoRP and spam Skarn's Bane until everything is dead - I am unkillable in Support with AoRP. Is this a good idea?

Thanks so much for any advice :)
Post edited by mashugana on

Comments

• kelbornxkelbornx Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1) All of the above. Join a SG or spam chat for a PuG if you want to do Lairs. Alerts are great for the Q dailies, but they really don't offer much else for a lvl 40.

2) Absolutely for Lairs. Depends for Alerts. In Smash Alerts (timed ones), too many Healing Support and you won't have the DPS to win. I love having a good Support in the longer Grab Alerts, because if someone else is healing me... I don't have to stop DPSing to heal myself, and the Alert goes faster.

3) Depends on your build, and your team. Since you have an Aura, Hybrid hurts your team but benefits you more. If you were running Seraphim you could get away with it, but I often prefer the better energy management of Support role.

4) Not that I'm aware of.

5) It's a fantastic idea.

If you haven't seen it already, here's a really good build that focuses on AoRP.

I've also been toying around with this build as an "Offensive Support". Just some food for thought there.
  • mashuganamashugana Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thank you! I also did not realize Grab Alerts can be longer. I can see myself queuing for Grab in a heal/support role and the shorter Alerts in more of a DPS role. That is very helpful.

One more question about level 40: I see people saying they fought this bad guy or that one to test a build. Are people soloing Lairs at various difficulty?
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,123 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mashugana wrote: »
    Thank you! I also did not realize Grab Alerts can be longer. I can see myself queuing for Grab in a heal/support role and the shorter Alerts in more of a DPS role. That is very helpful.

One more question about level 40: I see people saying they fought this bad guy or that one to test a build. Are people soloing Lairs at various difficulty?

Regarding your question 4.

Yes there has been a huge change in Crowd Control, the holds system has now been crippled (IMO) by a new system in place called Incapacitates, the powers most affected by this change are maintained holds such as, Ego Storm, Ego Choke and Heatwave.

The Incapacitates now function like so... If your target breaks out of your maintained hold before the duration of the hold maintain is up, the hold will cancel. In additions maintained holds have a lag time of 1 second maintain requirement before they take effect on any target.

That being said Charged Holds, like Ego Sleep, Ego Hold and Soul Mesmerism, are still viable and useful in PvP/PvE.

^This was since on Alert..and has rendered some builds to be pretty much nerfed, just in case you didnt know.

:biggrin:
  • mashuganamashugana Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    TY Ravenforce! I thought I heard something - that makes it very clear. So my Bindings of Arbitron are still useful - good. They're actually only moderately useful but dang if they don't make me feel like Dr. Strange :)
  • tiresias99tiresias99 Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Be advised that a lot of enemies are outright immune or DRAMATICALLY resistant to holds. In a lot of cases you can root them (for a short time, at least) and they are still vulnerable to snares and other debuffs, but trying to hold them won't work.

I have found myself able to hold the henchmen, villains, and master villains; however, the "enforcer" enemies usually have to be tanked.

@Tiresias
    Tiresias: Celestial/Darkness (Support)
    Ravish: Bestial/Might/Unarmed (Tank)