test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Burning questions!

wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Power Discussion
1) Can either Plasma Burn or Clinging Flames stack on the same mob? I don't mean with each other--I assume that they can stack with each other--I mean can they stack with themselves, as in multiple stacks of Clinging Flame on the same mob. I'm pretty sure Plasma Burn can, but I'm having a hard time finding out about Clinging Flames.

2) If so, can they be stacked on the same mob by the same power--or do you have to use separate powers to stack them. Again, I think you can stack Plasma Burn with the same power, but can't find info on Clinging Flames.

3) Just on pure damage alone, which of the two is a better DoT, and, if Plasma Burn is better, is it still as good or better than Clinging Flames if you debuff the mob with Unstable Accelerant from Fireball?

I know these seem like wonky questions, so let me explain. For theme I'm choosing between Power Bolts with It Burns or Throw fire with Fuel My Fire as an energy builder, though I don't have any powers that take advantage of either debuff so I'm just curious which will lead to more damage overall. I might take Fireball, and if so I assume Clinging Flames is better, but if Plasma Burn can stack from the same power on the same mob and Clinging Flames can't, I may still want Power Bolts for higher single target damage.

Even though I build for theme, I like to at least make the best choices within theme so that I'm not too big of a gimp in gameplay.

Thanks!
Post edited by wethree1 on

Comments

• reddestshirtreddestshirt Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Err, putting that question aside, you are not really supposed to be using your energy builders. Pick whichever energy builder lets you pick your other powers quicker.
  • wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Err, putting that question aside,

Sigh.

Ok, Red, I know where you are coming from, and I understand exactly what you mean, but that wasn't helpful. I guess I was hoping for too much to think I wouldn't get at least one response like that.

As I stated, my question is admittedly wonky because I'm doing something a bit screwy. And I am going to do this screwy thing simply for fun. So, that answer didn't help.

So, if anyone reading this thinks that this is splitting hairs that are too small and too inconsequential to split, I totally understand. But, if you are going to post an answer, at least include in it somewhere an answer to the actual question that was asked, please. Please :).

Thanks!
  • sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    wethree1 wrote: »
    Sigh.

Ok, Red, I know where you are coming from, and I understand exactly what you mean, but that wasn't helpful. I guess I was hoping for too much to think I wouldn't get at least one response like that.

As I stated, my question is admittedly wonky because I'm doing something a bit screwy. And I am going to do this screwy thing simply for fun. So, that answer didn't help.

So, if anyone reading this thinks that this is splitting hairs that are too small and too inconsequential to split, I totally understand. But, if you are going to post an answer, at least include in it somewhere an answer to the actual question that was asked, please. Please :).

Thanks!

They both amount to less than 100dps at level 40 (Since you seem to be planning to just use your energy builder to apply them which will almost never apply them.). Clinging flames doesn't stack. Plasma burn does (though you won't stack more than twice just using an EB adv), it's a really gimped version of bleed that doesn't benefit properly from damage increase. So pick whatever you want.

Snark never dies.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,113 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1) I believe they can, it's a good basis for Fireball R2 + Unstable Accelerant combo. You might want to have more than one fire wielding player for more than one stack of Clinging Flames though... Edit: Just had a look on the Wiki, it doesnt seem that by yourself you can apply multiple stacks of clinging flames, however it seems to suggest that one stack is generally enough and can be refreshed via advantages on some powers..

2) Again, you'd need to refresh the stacks using one power, similar to Debilitating Poison it can only ever have one stack, but can be refreshed.

3) I cant find much on the base damage per tick of Plasma Burn, but I know how damaging the fire combo is, so I'd say stick with Clinging Flames as I think it does more damage by itself and can be refreshed and taken advantage of etc.

I like to build for theme aswell so I understand :wink:

I hope this little bit of information helps!
  • wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sang and Raven, that is exactly what I needed to know. And, Red, sorry for the techy post, I had too many cups of coffee this morning.

I know this all sounded screwy, but the way I have this admittedly screwy toon built he actually gets a lot of perks for using his EB at least some. And, while he's built for theme, I at least want to make the best choices I can within that theme so he's no more gimped than he has to be.

Thanks, guys.