test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gadroon Invasions?

xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Went to several sources online and such. The wiki says 1984 and 1997, but the CORP site which uses several sources listed atleast 4 invasion attempts, and one in 1994, but does not list the one in 1997. So I'm unsure of which one has the actual official lore.

Would appreciate if somebody could clarify this for me and give me the run down on which invasions actually happened in the official lore, and what years.
Post edited by xcaligax on

Comments

• Options
    corethlcorethl Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    According to Champions Universe, the Gadroon invaded in 1977, again in 1984, again in 1994, and finally in 2008.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A quick search through Thundrax's timeline shows three invasions:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=145273
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to know if these invasions were limited to Canada though?
  • Options
    corethlcorethl Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The '94 and '08 incursions were in Canada. I got the impression that the '77 attack was a wider affair, on Earth and the Moon. The only info I have convenient at the moment say that the '84 attack was defeated quickly and easily.

I've only got Champions Universe handy on my phone, so it's possible other sources may have more detail than that.
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Went to several sources online and such. The wiki says 1984 and 1997, but the CORP site which uses several sources listed atleast 4 invasion attempts, and one in 1994, but does not list the one in 1997. So I'm unsure of which one has the actual official lore.

Would appreciate if somebody could clarify this for me and give me the run down on which invasions actually happened in the official lore, and what years.
    wiki corrected 1997 changed to 1994
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The '77 invasion was the most concerted alien invasion in human history. It was worldwide in scope, lasted for months, devastated many of earth's cities and was stopped only by an alliance between the world's most powerful superheroes and Dr. Destroyer. Destroyer wanted to follow the fleet and take the war to the Gadroon, but Vanguard nixed it.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The '77 invasion was the most concerted alien invasion in human history. It was worldwide in scope, lasted for months, devastated many of earth's cities and was stopped only by an alliance between the world's most powerful superheroes and Dr. Destroyer. Destroyer wanted to follow the fleet and take the war to the Gadroon, but Vanguard nixed it.

Wow, hero's teamed with Destroyer? Thats a comic i wanna read!
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Wow, hero's teamed with Destroyer? Thats a comic i wanna read!

He had to, otherwise the planet was doomed to the Gadroon. Big Bad Doctor Destroyer came along and basically went overkill on the Gadroon.

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1260101
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    He had to, otherwise the planet was doomed to the Gadroon. Big Bad Doctor Destroyer came along and basically went overkill on the Gadroon.

Earth is kind of the Monster Island of the galaxy, sometimes. Or the corner where the really weird, scary stuff is kept where everyone hopes one of the monsters doesn't turn it's gaze outwards.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1260101

Thankyou for that link. That read was AWESOME!

Drat it's so annoying that the person who had been going to DM Champions for me has been too busy for ages. After building Dr Cerebellum in pen and paper I'm desperate to start building up her power and playing through the rich pen and paper universe beyond whats covered in the MMO. And especially after finding the power to hear and transmit over radiowaves i had to give that to her from the start, the ability to have her mad-scientist laugh projecting from a car radio spooking criminals in their getaway car before she starts blasting them with non-lethal electricty attacks was just far too good to pass up.

I expect Gadroon to end up high on the zap-list when i do get to play. I never specified who were the 'space pirates' from the origin story so i suppose they could well be Gadroon.
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Have you considering refereeing the game yourself and featuring your CO character as an NPC?

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Have you considering refereeing the game yourself and featuring your CO character as an NPC?

I've been running games since the last years of the 80s. I have weekly game of 2nd ed D&D that have been running for 4 or 5 years. Council of Wyrms ran for 10 and Conspiracy X similarly. I even had a Call of Cthulhu rpg scenario published (in a chaosium MULA but hey published is published). This is the one i want to indulge in fully as a player!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I really enjoyed discovering that about Dr.D thanks for the link!

I had no idea he was that cool xD. Makes you wonder how on earth Derpfender can even try to measure up to Dr. D or be his "rival".

Then again...if Gravitar was not lying when she said she took down Dr. D that makes her...legendary right?
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've been running games since the last years of the 80s. I have weekly game of 2nd ed D&D that have been running for 4 or 5 years. Council of Wyrms ran for 10 and Conspiracy X similarly. I even had a Call of Cthulhu rpg scenario published (in a chaosium MULA but hey published is published). This is the one i want to indulge in fully as a player!

I started in 1977, with a blue box of D&D bought from Games Workshop at a model railway exhibition in London before they opened their first shop in Hammersmith. We started from scratch and as a result I can often be found encouraging people to do the same.

My main published gaming content was in the UK Valkyrie magazine where (appropriately for "Retro Gaming" issue 20) I provided fair bit of content, including the main Chivalry and Sorcery scenario and the Confessions of a Hobbit Thief pieces. Part of my work was labelled "Mike Nudd", which seemed to the editor's spare name for extra content!

Playing Champions Online has caused me to pull out my 1990 edition of the Hero System and about a half-a-dozen supplements from my gaming shelves. It is a not a bad system but Golden Heroes (now available free as Squadron UK) or the Marvel FASERIP are both probably easier to run due to inherent issues with an RPG that uses a point-based design system.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Oooh. The bit on the 70s invasion (it was not groovy) is interesting. It gives a nice hook for villain-type characters to be acting as anti-villains from henceforth.
    I may be utilising that for villains-doing-good-for-evil-reasons characters in the future.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]