test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Personal Force Field and its graphics

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,122 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Suggestions Box
Personally, I'd like to see an option for PFF to have an outward bubble graphic which would activate in combat. I know a few players are up for this and others arent. So I'd like to know how many people are up for it and how many arent so I can decide whether to stop spamming forums about it :tongue:

>>Here<< is a picture of what I'd like the graphic to look like. Clearly it would have to be smaller around 50% smaller perhaps. Again I'd like to stress it would only activate in combat or if you wanted there would be an option in the power emanation menu to make it active all the time.

Yay!:biggrin: or Nay? :frown:
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'd like to have it visible... though perhaps have a selection of different visual styles... maybe one of them similar in look to the holo-hex shield produced by Energy Wave's Hardened Particle Matrix adv...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I disagree, this type of graphic doesn't reflect what the Personal force field is, which is basically a skin tight, "energy armor" that is no more than 1 inch or so from the surface of the hero's body. While I agree there should be a graphics representation for it, it should be based on how the power actually works.
    @Powerblast in game
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,122 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    I disagree, this type of graphic doesn't reflect what the Personal force field is, which is basically a skin tight, "energy armor" that is no more than 1 inch or so from the surface of the hero's body. While I agree there should be a graphics representation for it, it should be based on how the power actually works.

Considering this power doesnt actually "work" well vs any other defensive passive, I'd say that wasnt much of a point.

Personal Force Field atm, boils down to a damage shield/ extra layer of HP, which is not what the name implies.

The power can be seen as a skin tight "energy armor", it can also be seen (in my case) as a force field, like the real ones you see in comics like Fantastic Four etc. An outward projection of energy in the form of a shell, since we don't have a force field passive like that or even a suitable power like that, I'm forced to settle for PFF.

There are various interpretations of what a power such as a passive can represent which is why this would be an advantage if anything and would only activate in combat.

It's current graphics representation is a testament to how well the power works. Since there is none you get my drift.

I for one really want this passive to work, but you have to invest ALOT to make it work, high dodge/avoid rating + defense as well as powers which complement it such as force shield + advantage, MD, Field Surge and IDF.

Any way not to deviate from the OP too much. Personal Force Fields Icon shows someone surrounded by an outward shield, not a skin tight one. The fact that PFF is seemingly skin tight may explain why it is so weak, low density force field etc.

I really like this power, I have a toon with a successful amount of PFF @ 8.1k without Compassion or PRE (although I am reconsidering her stats).

This graphic change suggestion would not deviate from the personal energy shield concept which PFF is based on.

Besides a graphic change PFF needs to be alot stronger. When compared to other defensive passives PFF not only in application but in function is lacking.

For example:
    -Invulnerability: Flat Damage Absorb + Damage Reduction
    -Regeneration: Damage Resistance + Constant and varied Healing
    -Lightning Reflexes: Heightened Dodge/Avoidance Rating + Debuffs effectiveness of DoTs
    -Defiance: Stacking Damage Resistance + Energy on Hit
    -Personal Force Field: Damage Shield (with Minor Regeneration which is sliced in half in battle)

Funny thing is thanks to the effort of Cyrone and I as well as other supporting players, PFF has recieved a fix so the regeneration of the shield per 3 sec was increased a little. And now the regen rate isnt slashed in half twice only once. IDF now works over it as well as Field Surge and Protection Field.

Oh well, I doubt anything will happen to this power anytime soon. Thats why this idea will always remain in the suggestions thread.:redface::frown:
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The thing about the PFF being a bubble is that it *should* then kick in if another player right next to you takes a hit, but you don't.

I would like to see an overlay graphic, as an option, for PFF, if and when you take a hit.

I also agree that PFF needs some more work.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,122 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The thing about the PFF being a bubble is that it *should* then kick in if another player right next to you takes a hit, but you don't.

I would like to see an overlay graphic, as an option, for PFF, if and when you take a hit.

I also agree that PFF needs some more work.

Yeah, my idea was to add damage reflection and kb resistance like 1/3 of unstoppable passive value.

After all as far as theme goes the concept of a personal FORCE FIELD is not depicted by PFF, I think the only MMO game I have played where this concept was done close to what I expected was CoH.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Considering this power doesnt actually "work" well vs any other defensive passive, I'd say that wasnt much of a point.

Personal Force Field atm, boils down to a damage shield/ extra layer of HP, which is not what the name implies.

The power can be seen as a skin tight "energy armor", it can also be seen (in my case) as a force field, like the real ones you see in comics like Fantastic Four etc. An outward projection of energy in the form of a shell, since we don't have a force field passive like that or even a suitable power like that, I'm forced to settle for PFF.

There are various interpretations of what a power such as a passive can represent which is why this would be an advantage if anything and would only activate in combat.

It's current graphics representation is a testament to how well the power works. Since there is none you get my drift.

I for one really want this passive to work, but you have to invest ALOT to make it work, high dodge/avoid rating + defense as well as powers which complement it such as force shield + advantage, MD, Field Surge and IDF.

Any way not to deviate from the OP too much. Personal Force Fields Icon shows someone surrounded by an outward shield, not a skin tight one. The fact that PFF is seemingly skin tight may explain why it is so weak, low density force field etc.

I really like this power, I have a toon with a successful amount of PFF @ 8.1k without Compassion or PRE (although I am reconsidering her stats).

This graphic change suggestion would not deviate from the personal energy shield concept which PFF is based on.

Besides a graphic change PFF needs to be alot stronger. When compared to other defensive passives PFF not only in application but in function is lacking.

For example:
    -Invulnerability: Flat Damage Absorb + Damage Reduction
    -Regeneration: Damage Resistance + Constant and varied Healing
    -Lightning Reflexes: Heightened Dodge/Avoidance Rating + Debuffs effectiveness of DoTs
    -Defiance: Stacking Damage Resistance + Energy on Hit
    -Personal Force Field: Damage Shield (with Minor Regeneration which is sliced in half in battle)

Funny thing is thanks to the effort of Cyrone and I as well as other supporting players, PFF has recieved a fix so the regeneration of the shield per 3 sec was increased a little. And now the regen rate isnt slashed in half twice only once. IDF now works over it as well as Field Surge and Protection Field.

Oh well, I doubt anything will happen to this power anytime soon. Thats why this idea will always remain in the suggestions thread.:redface::frown:

The survivability of PFF has greatly increased since they fixed layering. You'd be amazed just how survivable the passive is when combined with IDF and energy refraction now. before even the simplest DPS attacks would cut through the PFF and leave you defenseless, now the low damage ones are mitigated before the PFF takes damage.

Oddly enough this was a change that I personally advocated in the old forums before the PW registration required me to change my username (someone at PW already had my cryptic one, was Powerblast) But I always said the layering was messed up... took them nearly 3 years to fix it but they did.

Oh about the Invisible woman type force field... I see this being represented by Protection field.. which by default targets the hero, and is represented graphically by what you suggested.
    @Powerblast in game
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Could my head not poke out of Protective Field, while we're at it?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • thekazekamithekazekami Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    The survivability of PFF has greatly increased since they fixed layering. You'd be amazed just how survivable the passive is when combined with IDF and energy refraction now. before even the simplest DPS attacks would cut through the PFF and leave you defenseless, now the low damage ones are mitigated before the PFF takes damage.

Oddly enough this was a change that I personally advocated in the old forums before the PW registration required me to change my username (someone at PW already had my cryptic one, was Powerblast) But I always said the layering was messed up... took them nearly 3 years to fix it but they did.

Oh about the Invisible woman type force field... I see this being represented by Protection field.. which by default targets the hero, and is represented graphically by what you suggested.

Of course the downside to having IDF is your damage is reduced a lot more than if you used, say, Concentration. Then again, if you wanted to tank with it it doesn't matter much.

I would like to see the option of having a bubble appear when you're in combat, both as a smooth force bubble and a techy bee hive barrier sort like the Power Armor's Shield. However I think the option to leave it as is should be available as well.

All in the name of customization!