test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

a simple solution for more content

jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Suggestions Box
What if every boss lair in the game was repeatable and scaled with level?
This would add so much endgame material at a small amount of effort.
I think this has been suggested before, but i think it's a great idea.
Post edited by jasinblaze on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You mean like making every boss "scary" level? Or every place that has a named boss available to players after they complete it and can only be played each once a day? That would make questionite farming interesting and give people reasons to go back into all the zones no matter what level they are. Every day!
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You mean like making every boss "scary" level? Or every place that has a named boss available to players after they complete it and can only be played each once a day? That would make questionite farming interesting and give people reasons to go back into all the zones no matter what level they are. Every day!
    every named boss layer, might be good if they had good drops as well
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Questionite is a good start since they are supposed to drop it regardless.
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I like this idea...

But... what about EVERY mission scaling to you?

Just need to reach the minimum level to take the mission, but afterwards every single mission will scale with you.

A problem would be presented by open world missions, HOWEVER... we have seen that the Nemesis system let high lvl spawns happen even in lower level areas (like arms dealer at lvl 40 on Viper's base in Canada, or lvl 40 minions on Westside, etc). Just have the mission as primary and the system spawn the appropriate enemies as you get close to the area.
  • jayleia1jayleia1 Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It would assist by dramatically improving replay value for what we already have, but its not a solution for MORE content.

If it can be done quickly and easily, with a minimum of resources used, YES.

If it delays new, substantive content for more than a few weeks...no
  • corniviccornivic Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Just need to reach the minimum level to take the mission, but afterwards every single mission will scale with you.

I like this idea, just because it kinda boring fighting grays, it easy enough fighting guys at my level.

But this not really not giving us more content, we need something like a mission maker like in City of Heroes.
    edited January 2013
    yes we need a foundry( thats what its called here) and yes we need more content. but by bringing it up in every post about other ideas you water down the diversity of voice in the community.this is a good idea by itself. not to say there arent lots of them. this is a quick and easy solution to increase replayable content in the short term not a final solution. doing it to every mission seems like it would be alot more work. but a telios tower with level 42s or a stronghold and necrul scaled to your level would give me more to do :)
    I like this idea...

because in open world environments the mobs can't be multiple levels for multiple levels of players, the mob could set to a 40 flying by then murder the next level 15 that came by, this would cause more problems than its worth. there are many boss lairs and if those were converted maybe other instances could be as well, but open zone stuff needs a static level
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    because in open world environments the mobs can't be multiple levels for multiple levels of players, the mob could set to a 40 flying by then murder the next level 15 that came by, this would cause more problems than its worth. there are many boss lairs and if those were converted maybe other instances could be as well, but open zone stuff needs a static level

If they used, "Scary Monster," tech mobs could effectively be multiple levels for multiple levels of players.

I think it might be cool if everything in the game was set up using scary monster tech. Eliminate level restrictions on zones and have the primary mechanical difference between a level 10 and a level 40 player character be the greater power selection available to the 40.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited January 2013
    sounds like a big change not the small change i was suggesting. which do you think is more likely?

1. rework a few lairs so they work like adventure packs
    2. rework the entire leveling system
    i think 1 is a realistic short term goal
  • stmothstmoth Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd prefer some kind of hub system, maybe a terminal you could access near the jets that would let you re-enter the dungeons of the area you are currently in. (RenCen terminal access all MC dungeons, Desert terminal access all dessert dungeons, etc etc) although...are there any dungeons in the desert?
    edited January 2013
    sounds like a big change not the small change i was suggesting. which do you think is more likely?

My idea didn't really call for much reworking of the leveling system. About the only actual change for the leveling system that it would call for is having missions grant rewards (XP, resources, etc) based on character level rather than a set amount.

In any case my goal, as obviously is yours, in this situation would be to add more options for players. This would allow the guy who got to level 40 without doing a zone to go back and have that zone be (potentially) a viable challenge for his character....as opposed to now where, if you didn't visit Canada on the way to 40 you might as well not bother going back because your character will faceroll everything in the zone.

Still your basic idea of restricting the effort to reworking a few lairs to function like APs seems fine to me. I just happen to really like Scary Monster Tech and think that it is extremely underutilized for what it has the potential to do for the game.

edited January 2013
    I really like the idea of scary monster tech.

Also, if we had to see these changes being worked upon slowly...

Stage one: Lair's rework
    Stage two: Scary Mosnter Tech all around.

Though I think the second part would fix the first one immediatly
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What if every boss lair in the game was repeatable and scaled with level?
    This would add so much endgame material at a small amount of effort.
    I think this has been suggested before, but i think it's a great idea.

It would become boring very fast to have always to face the same bosses only on a higher lvl. Basically you are playing always the same content. I have played a game that does this on a regular basis and it is boredomville
  • stauchstauch Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    If they used, "Scary Monster," tech mobs could effectively be multiple levels for multiple levels of players.

I think it might be cool if everything in the game was set up using scary monster tech. Eliminate level restrictions on zones and have the primary mechanical difference between a level 10 and a level 40 player character be the greater power selection available to the 40.
    Might look good on the surface but from an immersion point of view it's actually bad.

Just ask yourself, why the heck would the gangs in Westside still try and beat me down at level 40 after I've beaten them and their leaders (and many tougher ones later on) thoroughly?

This was basically the same counter-argument made when the equivalent suggestion was made for CoX.
    edited January 2013
    stauch wrote: »
    Might look good on the surface but from an immersion point of view it's actually bad.

Just ask yourself, why the heck would the gangs in Westside still try and beat me down at level 40 after I've beaten them and their leaders (and many tougher ones later on) thoroughly?

This was basically the same counter-argument made when the equivalent suggestion was made for CoX.

I think that argument is a bit weak. Think about it this way... Why are there still bank robberies and normal criminals on Metropolis and why do they keep using firearms against Superman?
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2013

How about we make suggestions and let the employees at cryptic worry about what should and shouldn't be implemented. It's not our job to worry if something is "reasonable" or "realistic".

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
    edited January 2013
    stauch wrote: »

Just ask yourself, why the heck would the gangs in Westside still try and beat me down at level 40 after I've beaten them and their leaders (and many tougher ones later on) thoroughly?.

Perhaps for the same reason that Batman's opponents have been trying to put him down for decades despite being defeated time and again. Same for Spiderman or pretty much every other superhero that I know of.

That is part of the genre. The bad guys don't give it up even when its pretty obvious that they ALWAYS (or almost so) lose. They ALWAYS try again.

This isn't restricted to the world of comic books either. Crime DOES pay and so, no matter how badly the last group of criminals were taken down, there are always new ones to take their place.

• gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The whole game could/should be skeleton level.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    baroness1980 has a question:

I think that argument is a bit weak. Think about it this way... Why are there still bank robberies and normal criminals on Metropolis and why do they keep using firearms against Superman?

Why, so they can moronically throw the gun at him after running out of ammo! :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • stauchstauch Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Because those are almost always new ones, or parts of organizations that they don't bring down as a whole, and because many of them are morons.
    Perhaps for the same reason that Batman's opponents have been trying to put him down for decades despite being defeated time and again. Same for Spiderman or pretty much every other superhero that I know of.
    Because it would become very tiresome to have to invent new villains every (what?) 5-10 issues?
    Or as how it's explained here: http://www.spinnyverse.com/2010/10/11/10112010/ :tongue:
    That is part of the genre. The bad guys don't give it up even when its pretty obvious that they ALWAYS (or almost so) lose. They ALWAYS try again.

This isn't restricted to the world of comic books either. Crime DOES pay and so, no matter how badly the last group of criminals were taken down, there are always new ones to take their place.
    Sure NEW villains/members always have the mentality of "I can get away with it" but we are primarily talking about those that you have already beaten down at least once before, since most of them get back out on the street or we would have more than 99% of the population in jail by now.

However, the biggest one that I have against this is that the enemies grow in "base power" as I do.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013

There will be always bank robberies, no matter what, and firearms were as useless against Superman when he was a lvl 6 (golden age) as when he was lvl 40 (silver age). I just suppose that when you are frightened and you have a firearm in hand you shoot even knowing that it will be useless
  • thunderchild99thunderchild99 Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would enjoy being able to repeat boss lairs. I was thinking that just yesterday I wish I could repeat the first nemesis confrontation.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It would become boring very fast to have always to face the same bosses only on a higher lvl. Basically you are playing always the same content. I have played a game that does this on a regular basis and it is boredomville

Yeah, let's not turn CO into a game where you fight the same bosses over and over again.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.