test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New player help

breakneck17breakneck17 Posts: 18 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Power Discussion
I'm a new player coming from CoH, and there's several themes I was interested in, but not sure if the power combinations would work.

Freeform - Fire/Earth (Volcanic theme)
Freeform - Electricity/Ice/Wind (Storm theme)
Freeform - Archery/Unarmed (Think the Fist w/ bow)

Any help is greatly appreciated as are any builds that I could use as guidance.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by breakneck17 on

Comments

• rstzedrstzed Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I can't say for sure on the other two but electricity/ice/wind do work well together. The wind group has several powers with advantages to add electric and ice damage and effects. Also the wind passive effects all elemental damage. My wind toon has some electric powers I might add an ice CC power as well.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fire/Earth would probably work well if you use one for damage (Fire) and one for utility stuff (earth) like knocks, traps and slows.

The archery/unarmed thing might be a little tougher since archery is, as far as I know, designed to work in coordination within it's set, so power rotation is more balanced. I really don't know tho.

And yeah, elec/ice/wind would prolly work well, just don't spread yourself too thin.
  • fr0gurtfr0gurt Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For the Storm theme, I can vouch for the Tammy Waffles build. It is mostly lightning, with Hurricane supplying the wind and cold. Rebirth is for the Gravitar fight; you can replace it with an ice or wind themed power.

For the Volcano theme, consider Fire and Heavy Weapon. Eruption+Magma Burst and Brimstone+Aftershock synergize with Fire via Clinging Flames. There's also Fissure from the Earth set. You'll probably want the rock axe from the Melee Weapons costume set.

With Archery, it also seems to me that you're better off staying within the set. It's mostly about arrow selection and using Evasive Maneuvers to create some room if the enemies get too close. (At least the way I play it. My archer is only at level 27.)
  • reddestshirtreddestshirt Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The way damage dealing is set up in Champions Online means that it is fairly easy to mix power sets as long as you decide on either ranged or melee damage.

Mixing Archery and Unarmed is going to be a bit more tricky, unless you make a build where damage is secondary. You could definitely play a support character that uses a bow and unarmed attacks, but I suspect this is not your intention.
  • xeirosxeiros Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For the fire/earth try fissure. It's got the perfect look for a volcano themed toon.
  • cheesesloppycheesesloppy Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2849761&postcount=19

A tanky Fire/Earth mix.

Made this specifically for this thread. Hope it helps in some way shape or form.