test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massively Q&A with Brad Stokan

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited January 2013 in Super News Network
Massively recently did a Q&A with Brad Stokan, lead producer for Champions Online, and the lead staff of the Phoenix Project. It's a look at how the closure of City of Heroes has resonated across the superhero MMO genre, affecting established titles and inspiring new ones.

Read the full Q&A on Massively.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Massively recently did a Q&A with Brad Stokan, lead producer for Champions Online, and the lead staff of the Phoenix Project. It's a look at how the closure of City of Heroes has resonated across the superhero MMO genre, affecting established titles and inspiring new ones.

Read the full Q&A on Massively.

Yep we know: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2842291#post2842291

It is not a great as you would think.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm really excited about all of the upcoming developments to CO that Brad outlined.

:rolleyes:
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    If you don't blame the person at the top of the failure then who is responsible? PWE perhaps but i doubt Brad's Paycheck was affected for 6 months of no work.

I could go back 6 months and find an almost identical "We would like to" and "Would be great" article I'm sure.

6 months, same sad song. You're Fired.

I think this guy said it best
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    I'm really excited about all of the upcoming developments to CO that Brad outlined.

Pretty sure that's sarcasm..
    50j7.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My thoughts on the Q&A in the Massively article:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2842291&postcount=26
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited January 2013

Developments, He said nothing. What article did you read? It was all bull, and nothing confirmed.
  • falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Part of me says I should be happy we've gotten any sort of news from our Executive Producer. It shows he's still alive right?

Mostly though I'm disgusted. We got a Q&A with our Executive Producer that tells us absolutely nothing about the game he's supposed to be leading. Granted most of the questions asked were very specific. However, instead of saying "...we've already got our major releases blocked out for the near future." he should have given examples of what we can expect to see in a slightly more specific time frame. He was given an opportunity to promote his game and failed.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I know I'd like more information about what we can expect coming to CO in the coming months beyond the words "Mega Event" and more lockboxes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    On the other hand, they may have been burned by the reaction here when the planned Victorian-time-travel thing didn't work out for Halloween. Sure, we got the other thing they announced - the fight against Tako in the Blood Moon - but since something else had been mentioned, and not delivered, that was widely regarded (at least here in the forums) as a failure.

Logically, then, there would be little percentage in giving any hard info, since when they do (see the thread about the upcoming events, probably involving the Kraken that had been planned for release months ago) the nay-sayers still moan and complain because something isn't occurring exactly the way someone said once, and exactly on that schedule. Vague hints, on the other hand, merely get the usual level of "not enough communication" that they can obviously tolerate.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited January 2013
    Or perhaps there is nothing significant for them to talk about, and the "major content" they have planned for the next two months consists primarily of lockboxes and rewarmed leftovers from the last major development cycle(s).

Place your bets. I know which one I think is more likely.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    On the other hand, they may have been burned by the reaction here when the planned Victorian-time-travel thing didn't work out for Halloween. Sure, we got the other thing they announced - the fight against Tako in the Blood Moon - but since something else had been mentioned, and not delivered, that was widely regarded (at least here in the forums) as a failure.

Logically, then, there would be little percentage in giving any hard info, since when they do (see the thread about the upcoming events, probably involving the Kraken that had been planned for release months ago) the nay-sayers still moan and complain because something isn't occurring exactly the way someone said once, and exactly on that schedule. Vague hints, on the other hand, merely get the usual level of "not enough communication" that they can obviously tolerate.

You forgot to shake your pompoms in your traditional role as Lead Cheerleader. Just thought you might like to be reminded that it's ALL ABOUT THE POMPOMS. Shake those things, and distract us from your dance moves. :rolleyes:

Here, I'll even give you a constructive response to your reverse-trolling style: Microsoft and Apple are derided EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY LAUNCH SOMETHING because it doesn't live up to a percentage of expectations. So clearly, both of those companies have ceased to communicate with the media-at-large because, well, there's no point in doing it. A small percentage of people will never be content, so why not just release the iPhone7 without any fanfare, so ALL the reaction is positive? You realize how ridiculous your point sounds now, I hope? It's not the Public Relations Department's job to care how we react. It's their job to communicate and respond to our reaction, and hopefully massage that reaction in a favorable direction, not "collect a paycheque while saying nothing for fear of criticism".

Seriously, your defense of Cryptic World is turning into a caricature of defense, because basically it amounts to blaming us for their miscommunicated goals/ambitions. "Well, they make promises and have goals, but whenever _THEY BREAK A PROMISE OR MISS A DEADLINE_, you guys jump on it..." Well, yeah. That's kind of what you DO when somebody gives you their word (or says "these are our plans, we are committed to them") and then changes horses in mid-stream. Yes, there is room for "understanding" and "forgiveness", but we are LONG past that point with our Cryptic World Overlords...
    edited January 2013
    You forgot to shake your pompoms in your traditional role as Lead Cheerleader. Just thought you might like to be reminded that it's ALL ABOUT THE POMPOMS. Shake those things, and distract us from your dance moves. :rolleyes:

Here, I'll even give you a constructive response to your reverse-trolling style: Microsoft and Apple are derided EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY LAUNCH SOMETHING because it doesn't live up to a percentage of expectations. So clearly, both of those companies have ceased to communicate with the media-at-large because, well, there's no point in doing it. A small percentage of people will never be content, so why not just release the iPhone7 without any fanfare, so ALL the reaction is positive? You realize how ridiculous your point sounds now, I hope? It's not the Public Relations Department's job to care how we react. It's their job to communicate and respond to our reaction, and hopefully massage that reaction in a favorable direction, not "collect a paycheque while saying nothing for fear of criticism".

Seriously, your defense of Cryptic World is turning into a caricature of defense, because basically it amounts to blaming us for their miscommunicated goals/ambitions. "Well, they make promises and have goals, but whenever _THEY BREAK A PROMISE OR MISS A DEADLINE_, you guys jump on it..." Well, yeah. That's kind of what you DO when somebody gives you their word (or says "these are our plans, we are committed to them") and then changes horses in mid-stream. Yes, there is room for "understanding" and "forgiveness", but we are LONG past that point with our Cryptic World Overlords...

Well put.

• derpderpfacederpderpface Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Because we're a small company with a budget that would make shoestrings feel positively extravagant,

This thing alone depresses me.
    You'd think that CoH going down would give them more cash and thus more manpower.

Ah, to be an executive.
  • atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Four whole questions. Short questions. With nice, empty answers.

But hey, at least it's more than he's said to us in... what, a year? More? Definitely worth drawing our attention to, thanks.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • thalast1thalast1 Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I agree with Jon. The reason cryptic does not support champions the game, or provide communication with the fans of the game is the community's fault. Such an awful group to have to deal with when making stressful decisions.

Not more to be said.

Poor Brad stoken can do no right in this community's eyes.

Poor guy.
    edited January 2013
    thalast1 wrote: »
    I agree with Jon. The reason cryptic does not support champions the game, or provide communication with the fans of the game is the community's fault.

Not more to be said.

Poor Brad stoken can do no right in this community's eyes.

Poor guy.

Thats because the most intresting things he has said are things we wont get. Like Destroyer's Island.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013

While I do understand your point, I have to say that the fight against Tako was actually a recycled event with one change - a new boss. Was it cool? Hecks yeah. Was it substantial? Not really. Was it removed? Yurp. Is that one step forward two steps back? Totally.

(1) removing Tako 2) vapor-mish)
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You'd think that CoH going down would give them more cash and thus more manpower.

Ah, to be an executive.

To clarify, that wasn't about CO, that was about Project Phoenix, a third party, primarily volunteer driven effort to recapture the spirit of CoX for the fans that has nothing to do with CO or Cryptic.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My thoughts on the article summed up in a single picture.

300px-Hot_air_balloon_in_flight_quebec_2005.jpeg
  • derpderpfacederpderpface Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pion01 wrote: »

To clarify, that wasn't about CO, that was about Project Phoenix, a third party, primarily volunteer driven effort to recapture the spirit of CoX for the fans that has nothing to do with CO or Cryptic.

Ah. Whoops. My mistake, then.
  • logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Paging Dr. Pangloss. Dr. Pangloss on the white courtesy phone. Paging Dr. Pangloss...
    edited January 2013
    What is it with you people - the worst possible interpretation of something is the only possible interpretation, and anyone who dares to propose a possible alternative must be "cheerleading"? Is your worldview truly so bleak that the worst-case scenario is the only scenario?

Maybe I need to avoid the forums for a while - y'all are getting seriously depressing lately...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What is it with you people - the worst possible interpretation of something is the only possible interpretation, and anyone who dares to propose a possible alternative must be "cheerleading"? Is your worldview truly so bleak that the worst-case scenario is the only scenario?

Maybe I need to avoid the forums for a while - y'all are getting seriously depressing lately...

Maybe it's because your "alternative" interpretation consists of an apology for them creating hype that they were adding some sort of new content to the game, only to do something completely different by recycling Blood Moon just because they can't follow up with what they promised, and then thought that they could get away with it. What's the solution to avoid such disappointment in future? According to you, they should just not give us any hard info about anything, which was what was being done in the interview: Be absolutely vague about things.

According to you, we're going to whine and complain about whatever they say anyway so why even bother in the first place. You're putting blame on the shoulders of the community for poor communication and poor management of the game and not the actual company responsible. You're blaming us for the various problems that this game and the development company that has. See why you got the backlash that you did, being called a cheerleader at that?
    edited January 2013

Bye

• circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Where did you find this?
    Psi.
    edited January 2013
    My sarcasm was apparently too subtle for some, my bad.

• gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I hope phoenix project will have a better management than CO.
    If his developpers focus on gameplay and content instead of useless fluff like here, we could have a chance to see finally a good superhero game since cox, and not a copy of the sims with no difficulty/challenge and almost no new playable content as co is.

CO: 3 months for a lemurian helmet, i'd lol. Wow. Great content and great add to the game. (Unlocked in 1 mn, 2 mns later, logout, ok thanks bye). Return to swtor. See you later for the next fluff or 5 mns content.

Ps: happy to see that Brad Stokan is always alive. Perhaps we will have a chance to read him on this forum a day, for an annual (sigh) until field report when neverwinter will be released. Perhaps, who knows.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm so about to find out about this project and put my money on ANY alternative than CO. This game can kiss the roundest part of my black ****
    edited January 2013
    I would give 10:1 odds against the "Phoenix Project" shipping diddly-squat.

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Because we're a small company with a budget that would make shoestrings feel positively extravagant,

Ah, to be an executive.

Umm - that wasn't from the CO EP of Cryptic - that was from the second part of the article where they where talking a guy from Missing Worlds Media and the CoX "Phoenix Project"
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    To be fair, I thought the same thing for a few lines. It was a horrible transition.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited January 2013
    Meanwhile all the Cryptic's staff is working on neverwinter and Sto, and let champion without updates, Soe are working on planetside and their other projects but continue to works on dcuo, and it will have soon a better housing with more customization than us...
    http://fr.twitch.tv/dcuniverseonline/b/355824761
    How is it possible to see that, when our housing have more than a year (and no update since september 2011)?
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gaelyn1 wrote: »
    Meanwhile all the Cryptic's staff is working on neverwinter and Sto, and let champion without updates, Soe are working on planetside and their other projects but continue to works on dcuo, and it will have soon a better housing with more customization than us...
    How is it possible to see that, when our housing have more than a year (and no update since september 2011)?

I was about to link you to the long thread we had recently about DCU housing, but it appears to have been ninja wiped:eek:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited January 2013
    Eh, it was just a kerfuffle anyway. "Housing" is a pretty minor and specific issue. It's not a game-maker or -breaker.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was about to link you to the long thread we had recently about DCU housing, but it appears to have been ninja wiped:eek:

i found it:smile:http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=203051&page=12
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited January 2013
    Yes, you did. Toss it up in the air!

**cocks shotgun**

:biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gaelyn1 wrote: »
    Housing? Who cares? We have much bigger fish to fry in CO...we dont even have a frying pan yet.
    edited January 2013
    Housing? Who cares? We have much bigger fish to fry in CO...we dont even have a frying pan yet.

I'm agree with you. Housing isn't a priority for me, as for you.
    But if devs are not focus on content (and they aren't) and focus only on fluff, how is it possible that co isn't able to be the first even in this kind of fluff?
    I want to say, hey, dcuo (as almost every other mmo) have more new content than co in his/their updates. The only thing co have is his customization.
    Then if others games becomes to have a better customization than co... What's remain?
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013

OMFG...frying pans for duel weapons :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited January 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    OMFG...frying pans for duel weapons :D
    Big cast-iron frying pan Heavy Weapon!

• megaspaceplayerxmegaspaceplayerx Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Big cast-iron frying pan Heavy Weapon!

All brought to you in the new frying pan lock box, along with the new flying frying pan hover tank with its mk1 flamethrower
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    @X-Hero Game Overed.