test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So you say we have only 2 devs.

Comments

• hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, then, by the definition given above, it can't be an amazing game - New Super Mario Bros Wii hasn't had any new content added lately, has it?

Mario Bros is for children IMO.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    We're discussing this on a forum devoted to an MMORPG where we pretend to be superheroes. I wouldn't try to act like the more mature one if I were you... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just like violence.

Mario is too anticeptic and happy.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013

A good side scrolling Mario Bros game is for EVERYONE.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Who cares how many devs we have..

We have ZERO development.

This is the bottom line, and why people like myself are no longer active in the community and merely checking forums from time to time to see nothing's changed.
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Bowls my mind,
    Gotta have my bowl, gotta have my cereal,
    I wants me a bowl full of bells and drums,
    bowls, bowling in a bowl shaped lane,
    HAIRCUTS! His haircut is unbowleavable,
    Is it the eye in which we see the bowl,
    HARK, the watch dog barks, to fill his bowl,
    laden across the street, we do crimes with our bowls,
    in hands, and hand me downs, to the shanty town.....

PLATES!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Children and anyone who has friends and all like to have a fun time! If you're in it just for the violence and not the fun... well I got no idea where you're coming from. Fun is fun and I want some.
    biffsig.jpg
  • prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Edit: nevermind.
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just like violence.

I hate you.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    you are nuts. mario Is the quintessential plaformer, easily one of the strongest video game series out there. the galaxy, paper and sports branches are top tier stuff too, though the last paper on the 3ds is kind a iffy.

incidentally, are we talking nsmb wii or nsmb wii u? I beat the wii one and it was really fun, still waiting on wii u. rayman origins is great as well.

and also, Germain to the discussion, we now did get intel about stuff they are working on, not big on the lockbox, but free costume pieces and new events are something, i am partially mollified, i do hope we get some permanent things out of this, the one downside of nighthawk events and alerts is they arent always around, hopefully we get long term additions as well..
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    arimikami wrote: »
    I don't know if you read much of this thread but, someone did prove it and Brou is right. We don't have two devs.

We have four.

you missed my point, that expecting people to have hope in something that had no evidence while at the same time calling people frustrated at the pace of development liars for believing something negative is inconsistent. we do now have some concrete evidence, but prior to that there was none.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jonsills gets real:

We're discussing this on a forum devoted to an MMORPG where we pretend to be superheroes.

For perspective, I like to refer to it as "playing with virtual dolls". :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For perspective, I like to refer to it as "playing with virtual dolls". :biggrin:

As opposed to playing with "Real dolls".

:tongue:

I'm not going to post a link, do your own google search for real dolls.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Only fault in those is lack of skill making a sandwich.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dkeith2011 wrote: »
    It is inexcusably stupid of Cryptic to not ramp up CO now that CoH is gone.

There is a huge fanbase waiting for a good superhero experience and Cryptic seems content to sit there staring vacuously into space.
    It's possible that Cryptic might feel, er, too secure now with a reduction in competition? I mean, CoH's gone, DCU's...there. Would it be wrong to say that our devs are feeling like they could put our game in cold storage and nothing'd happen to it?
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ninten92 wrote: »
    It's possible that Cryptic might feel, er, too secure now with a reduction in competition? I mean, CoH's gone, DCU's...there. Would it be wrong to say that our devs are feeling like they could put our game in cold storage and nothing'd happen to it?

To put it simply, that would be stupid of them. MMOs are entertinament, not an essential industry. If someone isn't having fun because of something like a lack of content they're not going to stick around just because there isn't another game where they can play superheroes. They're going to go do something else they enjoy.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just like violence.

The game where you jump on turtles hard enough to squish their bodies out of their shell?
    In the words of CS Lewis, "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

Mario rocks.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Said on the board of a pretendy funtime superhero game. Yeahhh.

I'd post the memetic wisdom of Dr. Alan Keyes, but I'm having too much fun playing a 13 year old comic book fan with pyrokinetic powers and The Greatest Superhero Costume Idea Ever. Maybe later.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • seismecaseismeca Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Wasn't the game already in cold storage? Kinda hard to put it in deeper..

Unless its like when you push something farther back in the freezer to make room for more icecream.

You can never have too much icecream.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The only thing that we can really say, is that there's nothing that can be said for sure. We don't know what's going on, the only thing we know is that we've seen very little development of the game, but that doesn't mean that there isn't some long term projects being developed; it also doesn't mean that they are working on anything. We're pretty much in the dark, and people are going to take that to mean whatever their personalities dictate.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    canadascott goes to the good quotes:

In the words of CS Lewis, "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

Mario rocks.

"Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence."

I don't know who that's from. It's in a pal's siggy, attributed to Schnitzy Pretzelpants. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited January 2013
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence."

I don't know who that's from. It's in a pal's siggy, attributed to Schnitzy Pretzelpants. :tongue:

Very true that. Most adults have earned the right to sit down and watch Bugs Bunneh cartoons without giving a sh@t.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2013

QFT and pretty much. Turning "maturity" into a pissing contest about who's more mature isn't very mature but something little kids would do.

I play Call of Duty, and I pwn nubs, and its rated Matur so, if I'm good at Call of duth, then Im obv reaalhy gewd at bieng matureh.
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited January 2013
    Couldn't care less about Mario games.
    Not because I hate them. Simply, don't like graphics and gameplay.
    Actually, it's not about Mario.
    I don't like, never liked, platform games in general.
    Not my cup of tea. Never was, never will be.
    edited January 2013
    Couldn't care less about Mario games.
    Not because I hate them. Simply, don't like graphics and gameplay.
    Actually, it's not about Mario.
    I don't like, never liked, platform games in general.
    Not my cup of tea. Never was, never will be.

You cant argue with that point. Me myself I hate racing games. Need For Speed is a moron tax.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013

If that would be true they should stop to take Ego like their main attribute and stop to stack gears and talents on it.
    Not even WoW devs can feel that safe
    Competition don't only come from other supero games and the fact that one did just close should sound like a red alert
    edited January 2013
    Why wouldn't Cryptic feel secure? They got STO and NW under their racks, why should they care about over 3 years old superherogame, which genre in gameindustry isn't that awesome, it's not like there's 2 dozen of them like games in Sword & Sorcery genre. 2 games that are sure moneygrabbers, 3rd than can be left to die alone in it's moldy tights and torn cape without fear of losing something drastic.
  • target1onetarget1one Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Most adults have earned the right to sit down and watch Bugs Bunneh cartoons without giving a sh@t.

Hear, hear! *high fives, then goes looking for Bugs Bunneh cartoons*

Target1one

"ENOUGH!!! You are ALL of you BENEATH me! I am a GOD, you dull creature, and I will NOT be BULLIED by--" -- Loki

*SMASH* *SMASH* *SMASH* <pause> *SMASHSMASH* "... puny god..." -- Hulk
  • notburningchicknotburningchick Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    The only thing that we can really say, is that there's nothing that can be said for sure. We don't know what's going on, the only thing we know is that we've seen very little development of the game, but that doesn't mean that there isn't some long term projects being developed; it also doesn't mean that they are working on anything. We're pretty much in the dark, and people are going to take that to mean whatever their personalities dictate.

I don't think Cryptic cares all that much about the title anymore -- they hardly put money into maintaining its image, let alone developing CO.

Case in point ...

Having a community mod who spends an order of magnitude more time posting and interacting with the subs than the rest of Cryptic combined.

Further case in point ...

The flagrant "naming and shaming" rules violation that stood for 2 or 3 days. And the utter lack of in-game consequences for the 2 knobs who deserved the public naming and shaming.

Sure, the devs might be developing something terrific, but I'm worried for a title when the management won't even put the lowest-paid members of the team (community, GMs) to work.
  • target1onetarget1one Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think my biggest beef with this game is that, regardless of how many devs may or may not actually be working on it, they're not COMMUNICATING with us as to the state of the game, or their future intentions for it. All we get anymore are maintenance notices and patch notes.

Trailturtle's "Protocol Alpha" post is the first hint of ANY new content for this game in many months, and even then, it will be an "event", not permanent new content. The game could use new zones, new villain groups, mission arcs, and so on, but if Cryptic hasn't seen fit to give us this by now, then I doubt they ever will.

Meanwhile, little attention seems to be given to bugs that players have been complaining about for what seems like forever. Didn't Cryptic ever hear of the phrase "the squeaky wheel gets greased"? Well, it seems like Cryptic has no budget for grease... and by "grease" I mean developers. :frown:

Personally, I'm just using CO to fill the void left by CoH, until such time the player-led efforts to build a successor to that game bear fruit. I only hope CO doesn't get shut down in the meantime, 'cause it'd mean I'd then have to resort to DCUO (blech).

Target1one

"ENOUGH!!! You are ALL of you BENEATH me! I am a GOD, you dull creature, and I will NOT be BULLIED by--" -- Loki

*SMASH* *SMASH* *SMASH* <pause> *SMASHSMASH* "... puny god..." -- Hulk
  • mog555mog555 Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    CO is really fun, since I never had a chance to play COH since it isn't free. But CO seems to be like COH, my creativity just keep growing and I don't have to waste my times with stress

But seriously if the game has no bug fix soon, then the game might find some trouble, if no new content will come then old players that played the game since OBT might be complaining a lot and most of them get bored while have nothing to do but PVP

Since there are still some secrets in CO that people just ignored. But then again, more stuff would be nice. If it Costume Pieces, Mission, Lair, Map, Power Sets and something with Crafting System everything is ready to go. I hope so.................
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mog555 wrote: »
    But seriously if the game has no bug fix soon, then the game might find some trouble

I can't wait for the day that Pick Up and Throw gets fixed...if it ever does.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
    edited January 2013
    I'm wondering what kind of trouble it hasn't yet founded....
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    target1one wrote: »
    I think my biggest beef with this game is that, regardless of how many devs may or may not actually be working on it, they're not COMMUNICATING with us as to the state of the game, or their future intentions for it. All we get anymore are maintenance notices and patch notes.

Trailturtle's "Protocol Alpha" post is the first hint of ANY new content for this game in many months, and even then, it will be an "event", not permanent new content. The game could use new zones, new villain groups, mission arcs, and so on, but if Cryptic hasn't seen fit to give us this by now, then I doubt they ever will.

Meanwhile, little attention seems to be given to bugs that players have been complaining about for what seems like forever. Didn't Cryptic ever hear of the phrase "the squeaky wheel gets greased"? Well, it seems like Cryptic has no budget for grease... and by "grease" I mean developers. :frown:

Personally, I'm just using CO to fill the void left by CoH, until such time the player-led efforts to build a successor to that game bear fruit. I only hope CO doesn't get shut down in the meantime, 'cause it'd mean I'd then have to resort to DCUO (blech).

I said the same thing to a friend of mine who lives in California and says she talks to one of the Producers (no I can't verify who, which is why I take it with a grain of salt, she is a close friend so i give the benifit of doubt to her) She said the producer says they have great things coming. I say that means nothing to the angry customer base with we keep getting the cold shoulder when it comes to COMMUNICATION.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    I said the same thing to a friend of mine who lives in California and says she talks to one of the Producers (no I can't verify who, which is why I take it with a grain of salt, she is a close friend so i give the benifit of doubt to her) She said the producer says they have great things coming. I say that means nothing to the angry customer base with we keep getting the cold shoulder when it comes to COMMUNICATION.
    Could you please tell her to ask her producer friend to try to take a few minutes to give us, if not a full-blown SOTG or UNTIL Report, at least some kind of hint that something's in the works? They might be amazed at how far even that would go toward calming the waters...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited January 2013
    oh I went off on a tangeant to her. I think if she told the guy everything I said we needed he would never talk to her again and hide.

SotG
    Until Reports
    any real communication
    an event(new missions) that arent temp missions
    Telepathy
    Bugs
    Costumes
    Vehicle crap
    lockboxes were a few of the things I told her that Cryptic needs to know how we feel about them.
  • eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mog555 wrote: »
    CO is really fun, since I never had a chance to play COH since it isn't free. But CO seems to be like COH, my creativity just keep growing and I don't have to waste my times with stress

But seriously if the game has no bug fix soon, then the game might find some trouble, if no new content will come then old players that played the game since OBT might be complaining a lot and most of them get bored while have nothing to do but PVP

Since there are still some secrets in CO that people just ignored. But then again, more stuff would be nice. If it Costume Pieces, Mission, Lair, Map, Power Sets and something with Crafting System everything is ready to go. I hope so.................

Valid points. I want, I would love to feel invested in CO again.
    I have had a break from the game for 8 months and popped in at Christmas to try it again. I was bored within 20 minutes and haven't felt the pull to revisit.
    The Christmas event had nothing considerable over last year and on popping into the forums I was utterly shocked to see no movement on the telepathy review, aura-slots and a proposed and a feature officially teased (London Halloween) new zone canned.

I don't know what is going on at Cryptic-Studios with the mentality that zero-communication is a good consumer-relations strategy.
    I'd love to be spending money every month on Champions if I knew the development was actually ongoing and 'big-things' really were ahead.

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What if the majority of the player base buys cosmic keys and never visits the forums?

Eek!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    She said the producer says they have great things coming. I say that means nothing to the angry customer base with we keep getting the cold shoulder when it comes to COMMUNICATION.

i want to beileve you, i really do. if you see her again ask her about the foundery for this game. please.
  • sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

For what it's worth, thanks for the information.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "Big things" sounds like the proverbial carrot on a stick. It's a touchy-feel-good buzz word that'll keep customers strung along while they don't actually do anything.
    edited January 2013
    "Big things" sounds like the proverbial carrot on a stick. It's a touchy-feel-good buzz word that'll keep customers strung along while they don't actually do anything.

I agree. Sadly there is little we can do but sit and wait.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "Big things".

Giant growth devices in lockboxes !!!!

You heard here first folks ! :biggrin:

I kid of course.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • seismecaseismeca Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Giant growth devices in lockboxes !!!!

You heard here first folks ! :biggrin:

I kid of course.

you're thinking too far out of the lockbox

clearly its just simply bigger lockboxes
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Cryptic_Studios

A list of Cryptic devs. This list is quite old, so I combed through it and googled the names of all of these people to check if they still worked on CO.

Robobo/Rob Overmeyer- Steeped down as Exec producer, but still a dev, as of Jun 16th. Massively's Article including this.
    Tumerboy- Gone to STO. Post demonstrating he's there and not here.
    Stokeman/Brad Stokan- Our new Exec Producer, see first link.
    Lexeme- Nothing could be found. Apologies
    Ame-Lead designer. Last seen March 9th. Nothing further.
    Akinos- Systems Designer. Last seen June 8th. His last post.
    Gentleman Crush- Systems designer. Last seen Aug 10th. Last post was the Nighthawk AT.
    [Edit on G-Crush]*Update* the Above information is incorrect, Gentleman Crush posted after my October 1st activity cutoff.
    GMTiyshen- CO Community Rep. Obviously not here anymore, being that we have Trailturtle. Post confirming this, post #3 Also check the post after this containing Tiyshen's name in STO devs.
    H2orat- Video production manager. Moved to STO. He's in the list.
    Dominus Carnifex- Nothing could be found.
    Drannic- Moved to STO. Check the chart on h2orat.
    Blue_Fire- Moved to STO. See above.
    RavenAkurei- Last seen July 12th. While the post is archived, everyone refers to the dev as RA, and google agrees with them.
    ANUBIS- Environment Artist. Unknown. Last thread not found. Apologies.
    Splosions- He makes Splosions, apparently. The 4th post in this thread also stated that he is active.
    NisDiddums- Last seen on This PTS update For those of you who can't see it, it's pretty regular. Posted on October 26th. I'd consider him still developing.

So yeah. 5 stolen from STO, 8(Edit:7) of those remaining I consider to be inactive or missing. This leaves Stokeman,, Gentleman Crush, NisDiddums and Splosions. That meet my communication cutoff date of 3 -5 months or so. This amounts to 3(Edit: 4) devs, including our semi-Community mod that we share with someone else: Trailturtle. This Doesn't include people joining the CO dev team, because honestly, in my 3 years in CO, I've never heard of such a thing.

There's your answer. Took me about 2 hours of googling to find it, Brou.

TL:DR: (No for realsies, 4.) devs, and a part-time Community Mod.

so dose the fact that this page lists one Mr Rob Overmeyer as Executive Producer for Champions Online: Free For All mean that Stokeman/Brad Stokan has moved else where and we once again have rob back or is it a sign that cryptic arent even updating there own web page?
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2013

when I hear "Big Things" ...I'm reminded of "Exciting News" and other two-word recipes for disappointment... :(

How can a game that's this good make me feel this bad every time they come out with news?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    so dose the fact that this page lists one Mr Rob Overmeyer as Executive Producer for Champions Online: Free For All mean that Stokeman/Brad Stokan has moved else where and we once again have rob back or is it a sign that cryptic arent even updating there own web page?

No, my source for Robobo/ Rob Overmeyer stepping down as exec producer was more up to date than him being exec producer, the source also claimed he stayed a part of the dev team, but he doesn't meet my Oct 1st communication activity cutoff. Stokeman is as far as I know, our exec producer, and still active and developing.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited January 2013

He's pulling it from the wiki, and the wiki is not a Cryptic page. they link to it but it is independent and player hosted/player updated.