test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nemesis - Needs Updates

thelostexilethelostexile Posts: 111 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Suggestions Box
So having a Nemesis is pretty cool. It always has been pretty cool. But I can't help but feel we're missing a large chunk of what could be. What we currently have in place are:

What we have:
Nemesis Ability - Nemesis ability is acquired at level 25, once acquired, players can create one.

Encounters - Nemesis encounters happen infrequently, with randomized minion attacks on the fly.

Customization - Nemesis customization is limited to the Nemesis themselves, designing their looks, choosing pre-determined powersets as well as picking a set of pre-determined minions.

Now that's all well and good, but I consider that only a ground base. That's not what I think when having a Nemesis that I can call my own. I'll ignore the fact that the powersets are pre-determined, because that makes sense. It prevents players from pureposely making underpowered powersets so their nemesis and their minions are too easy or too difficult to defeat. However, I think that:

What I think we should have:
More Minions - Nemesis customization should be extensive with the minions, too. Including the option to choose pre-existing minions that exist in the game itself, especially from specific factions such as VIPER, or PSI for example. (This will include the original pre-determined minions, too.)

Custom Minions - Nemesis minions themselves should also be exclusively customizable, in case a player decides they want to make three or four different minion looks using the player customization screen as enabled for the Nemesis themselves.

More Powersets - There should be other powersets to choose from, now that more powersets are available from comparison of when the nemesis update was out.

Frequency - There should be more frequent encounters with your nemesis.

Scaling - I noticed after a certain level suddenly your nemesis minions really aren't that hard to defeat. As a matter of fact, they're pushovers. You should allow the minions a scaling system so they at least put up a fight with your current level.

I'm sure this is a lot to ask for since everyone is mostly working on Neverwinter, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put this in the suggestions box until further notice.
Post edited by thelostexile on

Comments

• Options
    leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Weapons - The ability to customize your nemesis' weapons, instead of using the default.
  • Options
    flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Something like Nemesis Goals?

Like, what is your nemesis trying to achieve?

a friend had a werewolf nemesis and on a mission, it was trying to build a bomb...it felt kinda out of character...

In other nemesis Suggestion threads some people mentioned these characters and their missions should have like a "motive"

For Example:

Primal - Your nemesis is a Beast/Force of nature who only cares about damaging humans, increaisng his/her territory, proving its strenght,etc,etc

Mystic - Your nemesis is intersted in incresing his magical powers, collecting mysthical relics, summoning ancient creatures,disrupting the flow of magical ...things and stuff...etc,etc

Mad Scientist - Nemesis only cares for scientific advancements, wants to show hes the smartes/greatest scientist ever was/will be, obtain power/inmortality/who knows what through experimentaion

Mercenary - Nemesis only cares about the money/reward/killing its target, but you are always interfering

Criminal - Nemesis just wants to be the next big name in the Crime history, put the police department/authorities in ridicule, and get richer and richer

Emperor/Conqueror - Nemesis wants to take over the city/country/world. Sees everything and everyone who dont comply as inferior obstacles...

and possible many, many more

Also, in some of these threads the idea of "Generals" or "Important minions" have been brought...or maybe the "more consistent" use of those Villians that appear in some nemesis missions...

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would appreciate the option of customizing Minions, or choosing them from a list of pre-existing NPCs. Dr. Chill is a scientist who's defected from ARGENT after discovering what sort of company it is (they tried to make him one of their supervillains after he got his powers); I'd love it if, when he makes his Nemesis, the Minions could be ARGENT soldiers. Sadly, that's not going to be an option...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    leihngwei wrote: »
    Weapons - The ability to customize your nemesis' weapons, instead of using the default.

We use to able to do that. Make a costume in Tailor, choose the weapon, save, go to Nemesis Terminal, load, viola.

Just seems that we're been loosing features rather than gaining them. Invisible minions feature...

Make the Perks usefull. Defeat 1000 VIPERs, DEMONs etc. you gain them as Nemesis minions.
    Heck, add the new Alert Villain minions to Nemesis Creator, Hrodiger the Axeman's undead vikings and rest.
    But, as we know, we have been asking Nemesis updates for ages and nothing...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's just one of the many cool new features we were promised that quickly went ignored and forgotten once they realized they would have to actually put effort into it to make it what they promised, just like hide outs, and side kicks, and new zones, and vehicles, and end game content, and special events like the destroid invasion or halloween event, and... well you get the point.

The nemesis system is a huge spot that could use some love and updating, but sadly instead of using COH's closing to gain the devs seem content to just drop another lock box and/or shiny store object.

Here's hoping that the new alerts coming out are at least fun.
  • Options
    stauchstauch Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Outside of how they look and what powers they use it's basically the same thing again and again, and that makes me sooooo sad. It could have been something great but now it's just another grind fest.

Effectively all I can think of as improvements has already been said.

Though I'll add this. Would like to be able to customize exact powers advantages talents SS and specialization for the Nemesis (basically a complete freeform build), and the equivalent for the minions.
  • Options
    sarkastiansarkastian Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    flechus wrote: »
    Something like Nemesis Goals?

Like, what is your nemesis trying to achieve?

a friend had a werewolf nemesis and on a mission, it was trying to build a bomb...it felt kinda out of character...

In other nemesis Suggestion threads some people mentioned these characters and their missions should have like a "motive"

This, or at least I wish I knew this before I created my first nemesis. The character is a demon sent to Earth to tempt men's souls, but fell in love with humanity and instead defends them from demonic incursions (not that she gets much opportunity to actually do that, but that was the concept). Her first nemesis was the chief agent of her former demonic overlord who is tasked with dragging her back to Hell in chains (again, that was the concept). But this hulking fire-breathing monstrosity spends most of his time robbing banks, crashing art show openings, and making trouble for Millennium City. The concept is completely irrelevant because it's beyond the scope of the Nemesis System. The result is a disappointment. Had I known the limitations, I would have created something completely different.

As for customization, the minions themselves -- with or without greater visual/powers customization -- need to be a lot stronger than is currently possible. As is they are a minor distraction at best. When they show up unexpectedly, I want it to be a challenge. Right now, I can safely ignore them until I'm done with whatever I had been doing, and then they go down entirely too easily. The rooftop Nemesis minion mission in RC took only seconds, I don't think my health bar moved the entire time. I don't think anyone would complain if the minions were actually capable of defeating the hero. Make them more dangerous or more numerous.
  • Options
    makforevermakforever Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree with all suggestions in this topic.

BTW I wish I would be abele to choose one of the ingame dino as my nem.

I'm Mak!
  • Options
    bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I go into some of this in the Arch-Nemesis suggestions (see my sig).
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    To be honest, i can't even tell the difference between the nemesis types other than maybe a little dialog, beyond that it seems to be the same thing for each one. If (since i doubt they ever will) CO redid the nemesis system i think they should do it like GW2's character creator/story line. Basically you get a few choices after making your character based on race and class, then your story actually is based around those changes as well as the ones you make during that story line.

The choices for nemesis could be based on things like the mentality, the power set, although they'd have to add motivation and possibly an origin option to flesh it out a little more. But it would make it way more varied than just a few different lines of written dialog. My savage nemesis shouldn't be able to build a nuclear bomb to get revenge.
  • Options
    dynamechdynamech Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In truth, I wish the Nemesis system had some kind of choice-based aspect in the missions; Do you go after the Nemesis, shorten the arcs, or do you rescue the people / derail her plains which give more reward and increase the Nemesis' power. Since there's no faction (though I wouldn't mind if, by being single-minded and letting people die, some mission paths may be closed and I get garbage thrown at me by passers-by) it seems the best way to balance.

Plus, I think the Nem arcs can last too long, esp. with the way we are able to level now. Maybe the breakpoint for Nem clues can be either glowies consumed OR levelling up, to ensure the story continues apace.
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This thread needs more attention
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ermm...

The Cryptic answers back couple of month ago stated that "They have no plans to change or update the Nemesis system" at least during this year...

Just so you know

• Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    flechus wrote: »
    Ermm...

The Cryptic answers back couple of month ago stated that "They have no plans to change or update the Nemesis system" at least during this year...

Just so you know

So?

Let's change their minds then.

I rather have a review of Nemesis system than more stupid events that get deactivated after a month
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, good luck with that...

We are running on a skeleton dev crew, and Cryptic seems to be uninterested in investing anything for this game.

However be sure you will get a new lockbox almost every 2-3 months.

They will only use this game to get some extra cash for their other projects.

But who knows, rally the masses, make "Cryptic, Stop ignoring CO" pages on facebook and other social sites...

Maybe you will get something bigger than a generic automated response.

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So?

I rather have a review of Nemesis system than more stupid events that get deactivated after a month

Thats what we've been trying past 3 years. If it was just that simple as 'Lets just change their minds'...
    You may have noticed the current situation of updates and such in CO.
    The thing is they can't do poodlesdoodle to Nemesis System without doing it the same they did to the Crafting System. And that's not happening. All there is happening in major updates is that Nemesis System brakes even more.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think they might respond if u open up a ticket, they probably think you have a problem with the game and will answer you.

I know they answer tickets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So?

The best way to "change their minds" is to brainstorm ideas on how to make revisiting the Nemesis system more profitable.

Loathe as I am to say it, since it seems that lockboxes *are* making them money, how can we tie them into some sort of enhancement of the nemesis system?

Maybe they could add some sort of chase where you have to catch your Nemesis as they escape from the scene of a crime, and if you win, you get a special nemesis lockbox, which has a chance of droppings the usual stuff, plus gives a little more Drifter salvage and/or also has some costume pieces unique to it.

This persistent event would *require* you have a nemesis, (so it'd be gated to level 25+), and though it'd be strongly advised that you have a vehicle, the track the chase follows could have obstacles you could destroy to slow the nemesis down - like you attack a dump truck to have it spill its contents into the path of the nemesis or something. Or, perhaps you need at least 4 people to trigger the queue to let you in, but you're only chasing 2 people's nemeses, so you could work together to win...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Make a bunch of 'evil' style costume pieces that'd be adored by lots of antihero players and put them in Nemesis Lockboxes.

Torn tights for the injured but not undead look.

Damaged version of 10 most popular armour and helmet type pieces (eg cracked bubbledomes for all the bubbledome fans).

'Bleeding' Aura device.

'shadow' device (turns character into a dark silhoette with white eyes)

Extra spikey costume pieces.

Weapon costume pieces for more gritty vigilante weapons both melee and gun.

Mad Scientist costume pieces.

etc.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The only way we could possibly see any real change and fixes to the Nemesis system is if someone was able to extract the code, modify it, test it and present the fixed complete code back to them with the new feature.
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The only way we could possibly see any real change and fixes to the Nemesis system is if someone was able to extract the code, modify it, test it and present the fixed complete code back to them with the new feature.

And said person would then be banned for at least 7 days.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I was implying that a dev would have to do that. Now it makes sense why they were all banned from CO.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    These days, I'd take a skilled and well-meaning hacker over the CO Dev team. Just saying. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If I knew programming, I'd donate my time to update the game. Its better than standing around in game waiting for something to happen.
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If I knew programming, I'd donate my time to update the game. Its better than standing around in game waiting for something to happen.

I'd put money into a kickstarter for them to hire someone to do this job if they'd ever set one up.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?