test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sneak Preview - Grav Bikes and Free Costume Pieces!

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited January 2013 in Super News Network
Something big is on the way to Millennium City. Over the next two months, starting next week, we'll be releasing new adventures, planned for a release every two weeks.

This mega-event is going to unfold similarly to the Nighthawk event from last year: New missions will be added over time, with new items available to tie in with the theme. Everything's going to culminate at the end of the event, with what's planned to be a custom Alert. Starting next week, you'll be able to get a free costume piece, plus the new Grav Bike Arsenal lockbox.

Read the blog!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So, i'm guessing these new missions aren't something permanent?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »

Sadly they did say it would be like the Nighthawk event, but that was fun while it lasted. So hopefully this one will be too.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I hope the new missions are permanent... just disable the extra rewards from the event (After the event is over) in the future, but leave the missions there...
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed - I wonder why it was even necessary to remove the Nighthawk event - especially since there are still missions in the game that have one of his imposters in the bank, per one of the opening missions from that event, even now. This game needs new content BADLY. I suggest leaving missions like this in the game permanently unless they are specific holiday or repeat events like Blood Moon.

Still, free costume instead of a Z-store release. That's not too bad. I've yet to see a costume pack I didn't like or find a use for in some way. So a new free costume set is a nice offering.

Main question I have - are there versions of the bikes that will be available from the Z-store? Cause I'm not going to ever open a lockbox under any circumstances.

You make it available to me for direct purchase, I'll buy it. Make me gamble for it? No sale.

If it's initially only available as lockbox but will LATER go to the store, I'm okay with waiting for that. I'm patient.
  • Options
    outofworkeroutofworker Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    thank you for finally giving us some communication
    :smile:
    ~ Life is too short to take seriously ~
  • Options
    agentgrantagentgrant Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So, they're allowed to call one of their grav-bikes Copperhead, yet I can't call my hillbilly moonshining archer the same?

Yes, I'm aware it's also the name of a third-rate DC villain in the past, but I'm still unhappy about it.:mad:
  • Options
    jayleia1jayleia1 Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yay! More Adventures!

I'd like to agree with Baroness's idea to leave them in the game, after all, STO has a similar thing with their featured episodes. Because we do need many more adventures in CO.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Unfortunately probably not (which is a bad thing IMO).
    Agreed - I wonder why it was even necessary to remove the Nighthawk event - especially since there are still missions in the game that have one of his imposters in the bank, per one of the opening missions from that event, even now. This game needs new content BADLY. I suggest leaving missions like this in the game permanently unless they are specific holiday or repeat events like Blood Moon.

Still, free costume instead of a Z-store release. That's not too bad. I've yet to see a costume pack I didn't like or find a use for in some way. So a new free costume set is a nice offering.

Main question I have - are there versions of the bikes that will be available from the Z-store? Cause I'm not going to ever open a lockbox under any circumstances.

You make it available to me for direct purchase, I'll buy it. Make me gamble for it? No sale.

If it's initially only available as lockbox but will LATER go to the store, I'm okay with waiting for that. I'm patient.

Agreed, and I'm also curious about this.
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    a new and possibly good event (will have to wait and see if it even works this time) is a welcome addition.

BUT

we need more PERMENENT REAL CONTENT! we havent had any in a whole YEAR and never had much EVER since launch, which was low on content to start with!
  • Options
    mog555mog555 Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Let just enjoy the event for the time being. we can't rush on things you know............

Anyway I believe it's time for me to prepare some Resource Boosts. Really want that Bike
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So, are the grav bikes only going to be available from lockboxes? None to purchase from the store? If so, definitely not what I've been waiting for.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Um, I cant see the Widow Version of the Grav Bike.

Don't even joke that they arent being put out Q_Q
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It's the 200 Salvage one.....
    What?
  • Options
    ourlilsecretourlilsecret Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    a new and possibly good event (will have to wait and see if it even works this time) is a welcome addition.

BUT

we need more PERMENENT REAL CONTENT! we havent had any in a whole YEAR and never had much EVER since launch, which was low on content to start with!

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Also, are those vehicle locked boxes also going to have the "special" item quality like the locked boxes we currently have? You know, that way they, too, can bypass the item rarity threshold for Need/Greed and always need to be rolled on?

Also, any knowledge of whether or not this patch will come with any bug fixes? Or is it just the SOP of releasing a dozen more into the wild, without so much as a glance at those currently existing? :3
  • Options
    hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    heroshima1heroshima1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While this sounds exciting at first glance, the reality of having a 3rd lockbox type AND only lockbox gambling chance to get a bike makes me sad.

Hopefully this isn't the full story and bikes will be available in the Z store and the new missions will be a permanent addition to the rather stagnate world we play in now.
  • Options
    cheesehotpocketscheesehotpockets Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I doubt Cryptic has considered that these vehicles they are releasing might not fit a toons theme.. I mean i have a dark/infernal toon, having a tank or a grav bike doesn't exactly gel with that.

Soooo.. Hows about some magical themed vehicles?

Until such a time as this, i'll be keeping my money in my wallet. Or moving to The Secret World, due to lack of content in CO. But that's another gripe.
  • Options
    hemslordhemslord Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Please stop releasing more lock box content. You must have lined your pockets by now. Can we have at least one piece of permanent content in 2013, hopefully end game content with decent rewards which do not require things from the zen store.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Woo more lockboxes, while predictable is still disappointing. Especially if this is all that has been in development since the Reloaded patch.

Hopefully we will see a bigger preview of this patch later.
  • Options
    cheesehotpocketscheesehotpockets Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hemslord wrote: »
    Please stop releasing more lock box content. You must have lined your pockets by now. Can we have at least one piece of permanent content in 2013, hopefully end game content with decent rewards which do not require things from the zen store.

Unfortunately this is Cryptics M.O. and means of making a buck. You should see STO, there's like.. 5 or 6 different lockboxes now. Kinda annoying cause you have to keep emptying out your inventory all the time.
  • Options
    stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Unfortunately this is Cryptics M.O. and means of making a buck. You should see STO, there's like.. 5 or 6 different lockboxes now. Kinda annoying cause you have to keep emptying out your inventory all the time.

I'm not to concerned about the inventory thing since they stack too high, I do think the price point for keys is a little bit too high, especially when you consider the lowest possible reward. As far as I'm aware 100 zen is a standard price across all PWE games so it's not like Cryptic can change that.

Brick_McDuggins in game.
  • Options
    acrosscatacrosscat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Honestly, I'm more looking forward to costume pieces locked out by On Alert being reinstated or some actual bug fixes.

I can bloody well dream the Operation Demonflame content up and to freeing the Queen Beyond the Pale with the Demon Key bugging out every time.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Grav bikes will be in the Z shop eventually, I hate lock boxes, they just give you junk most of the time. I'd rather just pay around 2000 zen?
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm guessing this is the work that you said you guys would be hammered with...Interesting. Bikes are neat, I know a few people who would like bikes. (Although probably won't like the lockbox idea.)

Does that mean after bike time is done the art team will have free time for a certain Fudgey?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Did you remember to buy the Cosmic Pen?
  • Options
    tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The what? you mean cosmic key?
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Affirmative. It's here somewhere...Maybe under my lockbox fort...
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    mrlemmingmrlemming Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Stop making these stupid lockboxes. There, I said it.

I know there are people who LOVE to gamble and are stupid enough to think they 'are lucky' and gladly take their chances with the keys.

I am not on of these people, I know gambling is stupid (you could open 100 boxes and still don't have what you wanted) and I won't do it out of principle. I rather know what I am buying. I am the type of person that would gladly pay 20 bucks for a cool vehicle or costume set OF MY CHOICE.

-- CL

PS: For people who can't do the math: if a certain item has a 1% chance to be in a box and you open 100 of them, there's still about a 1 in 3 chance you haven't got it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    The what? you mean cosmic key?

Nope. Cosmic Pen.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Nope. Cosmic Pen.

I would rather have a Cosmic Bin, to toss all these lockboxes in.

It could look like an a oil drum with a fire that runs on lockboxes. At least I'd have something neat to use them for. You could make it a SG event! Ritual lockbox burning, 20:00 CET at RenCen!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Also, less whining about lockboxes being lockboxes being a moneysink. That's how microtransaction-based games make money, outside of the subscriptions of course. We wanted F2P? This is how they make more money.

They've got mouths to feed over at their families, after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    More lockboxes inside I am overjoyed outside I am headbutting a wall.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    TT: "Hey, guys, we've got new missions coming out! And there are FREE COSTUME PIECES this weekend!! Oh, and by the way, the next Lockbox is coming out too."

Far too many posters: "Lockboxes? Is that all we're getting? What about new missions? Or maybe some costumes?"

Reading is FUNdamental, folks...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    acrosscat wrote: »
    Also, less whining about lockboxes being lockboxes being a moneysink. That's how microtransaction-based games make money, outside of the subscriptions of course. We wanted F2P? This is how they make more money.

I am not disagreeing there, I know they have to make money. I am just saying that I want to buy stuff. Not a CHANCE on stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    TT: "Hey, guys, we've got new missions coming out! And there are FREE COSTUME PIECES this weekend!! Oh, and by the way, the next Lockbox is coming out too."

Far too many posters: "Lockboxes? Is that all we're getting? What about new missions? Or maybe some costumes?"

Reading is FUNdamental, folks...

IT is indeed fundamanetal...

Specially cause the question is if the new missions are temporary or permanent... but I guess you prefer to spin it to suit your rhetoric...
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Agreed, there are people who will pay or alternative people can grind, refine and exchange the questionites for zen to buy the keys if they want.

I am no big fan of the boxes because they are troublesome to pick up. It will be good if they are auto-picked like the purple secondary gear. I have opened some boxes before. However that is the main money-making mechanism. We can't have free-everything. Let's just be grateful whenever we have something new.

Of course, they can also put the bike in there for a fixed amount of zen. However, I wonder if people will still buy them if they are 5000zen or will we then have complaints that they are too ridiculously expensive.

I wonder if these boxes will replace the tank boxes just like how the tank boxes replaced takofanes boxes. Shouldn't all 3 types be available in game? I am sure the tako boxes reaped in more income than the tank boxes and a grav bike, as cool as it is unfortunately does not fit across all my toons unlike legion gear.
  • Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the free costume pieces, not gonna say no to that =p.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I have no problem giving them money... but for things that are actually needed in game..

More Zones? I'd pay for that

More costumes? I'd pay for that, and will enjoy the new free pieces

New Powers? I'd pay for that as well

Foundry? Ditto... I'd pay to have that one here

There are many ways they could make money.. but if they only rely on lockboxes then there is something fundamentally wrong here...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You're preaching to empty seats. It's you, we who don't buy Keys to open Lockboxes are considered as people who don't want to give them money.
    It's been seen in many threads/posts.

I can't wait to try my luck with the new Bike boxes with my free Zen. Since last 2 "gambles" went quite good. Was it 2x3 boxes and both times a Tank?
  • Options
    ravynfallenstarravynfallenstar Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    what happened to the red widow bike? i'm pretty sure it was the copperhead so why the change? its the bike i was waiting for, so i guess i'll just stick with the vehicles i already have.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You're preaching to empty seats. It's you, we who don't buy Keys to open Lockboxes are considered as people who don't want to give them money.
    It's been seen in many threads/posts.

I can't wait to try my luck with the new Bike boxes with my free Zen. Since last 2 "gambles" went quite good. Was it 2x3 boxes and both times a Tank?

Am I?

Funny I bought 2 hideouts in 3 months and over 14 costume packs and a few costume slots as wells... things I really want, you know...
  • Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Am I?

Funny I bought 2 hideouts in 3 months and over 14 costume packs and a few costume slots as wells... things I really want, you know...

Not gonna lie that's the very same stuff I buy. The only positive thing I see from all of this lockbox/grab bag business, its that my stipend is piling up rather fast and I am buying all the costume sets that I was missing.

Though I really hope we get a costume set this month... wizard was the last one isn't it?? thats a loooooong time, considering in the past they would add a costume set every month.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Wrong. Its how BAD micro transaction games make money.

GOOD ones actually sell items, so you can choose what you want to buy, not force you to gamble for them.

How many stores do you know where you go in and have to buy a lottery ticket to buy things instead of choosing wether you want groceries, a stereo, a car etc...

The clue to how microtransaction funded games work is in the name - microTRANSACTION - which means buying or selling something (they sell, we buy).

They arent called microGAMBLE games, though PW ones should be, since they dont like actually having TRSANSACTIONS instead of GAMBLES

Also if they want money, they should sell things people actually WANT and have been asking for, like CONTENT!
  • Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Dear Cryptic and PWE:

PLEASE, if the free costumes are going to drop from somewhere, PLEASE make them tradable!!!

Thanks!!
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    *RAAAAAAGE!*

Telepathy NOW!
  • Options
    cheesesloppycheesesloppy Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm sure it's less that people are ONLY looking at the lockbox 'content', and more that people are looking at how the lockbox content is seemingly the only way to get Grav Bikes.

Also, 'Like the Nighthawk event' hints that it'll be temporary. As such to me the only good part about this news is the 'Free costume pieces'.

Wish I could say the whole thing was but over time, using the 'At least it's something' excuse has run its course. It's either new, permanent content and BUG FIXES, or bust.
  • Options
    falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Pity this event couldn't have started when CoX went down.

Am I the only one a bit wary since we've not seen this on PTS? This sounds like a big game changing event. Given the last few changes and "fixes" *cough*Imbue*cough* my faith in a smooth release is not high.

Still, yay for more things to actually do. It'd be nice if there will be some sort of permenant addition to CO's content as well beyond a custom alert.

Oh, and here's to hoping the Grav Bike Arsenal lockbox drops less frequently than the hovertank lockbox and as was mentioned earlier is set to an actual quality level that Need or Greed can properly filter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Wrong. Its how BAD micro transaction games make money.

GOOD ones actually sell items, so you can choose what you want to buy, not force you to gamble for them.

But... we can? Vehicles can be bought already. I'm sure Bikes will show up in the shops. Dropboxes are literally the TF2 crates maybe containing an Unusual hat, or Dota's rarer drops from their respective crates. Either way, you get stuff out of them (usually just not what you want out of them, as the aforementioned crates).

Or is such business savvy wrong on Valve's part, too?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    But... we can? Vehicles can be bought already. I'm sure Bikes will show up in the shops. Dropboxes are literally the TF2 crates maybe containing an Unusual hat, or Dota's rarer drops from their respective crates. Either way, you get stuff out of them (usually just not what you want out of them, as the aforementioned crates).

Or is such business savvy wrong on Valve's part, too?

They will probably have DIFFERENT ones in the z store, but if like tanks the best ones will be locbox only (directly or via drifter)

Meaning pay to gamble, which is not a transaction, its buying a lottery ticket.

The definition of transaction is buying/selling NOT gambling which is what a lockbox is
  • Options
    zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Finally phase 2 is near, right? xp
    Good, i'm saving up for bikes (again :rolleyes:), if there isn't one on Z-store, guess i have to gamble on those boxes. :mad:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster