test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SMG Burst vs. Lead Tempest?

kelbornxkelbornx Posts: 83 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Power Discussion
I took SMG Burst as a filler until I could unlock Lead Tempest... but the Tommy Gun skin for the SMG fits my character's theme really well (20s mobster). I know that SMG Burst used to be really bad, but idk if that's changed recently. My toon is ranged pistols (no Bullet Beatdown) so either would fit.
Post edited by kelbornx on

Comments

• Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Lead Tempest got two buffs (damage and hit chance) in November. SMG did not. That said, SMG has been an adequate AoE since, well, at least since OnAlert added ranged toggles and plus Ego damage to ranged.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    SMG Burst is fine. Lead Tempest is better, if you can get over the fact that you're frequently going to be doing it side-by-side with one to two other people every time you run an alert, looking like some sort of trigger happy dance troupe ( by that I'm saying it's quite a common power ).

The one upside that SMG Burst has is mobility and controllability; if you run lead tempest, you need to have some sort of defense because you're gonna be getting aggro a lot, and from lots of npcs at once.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    Lead Tempest is better, if you can get over the fact that you're frequently going to be doing it side-by-side with one to two other people every time you run an alert, looking like some sort of trigger happy dance troupe ( by that I'm saying it's quite a common power ).

AKA known as the real Gunman Style.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    SMG burst is decent. I've been able to grab aggro off of others with nothing but the DPS off of this move, so clearly it must do some alright damage.

Lead Tempest (better group damage aside) is a pretty clearly defensive maneuver - it technically does more damage to enemies closer to you, and has an advantage that ups your dodge chance while it's maintained. I'd say it's much more a tank tactic, given that it has a huge area of effect, has challenging strikes available to it, and has the aforementioned dodge-up advantage.

As Smooch said, SMG comes out as a lot more controllable in what it hits, meaning you won't draw an entire room after you. If you're rolling a pure, fragile DPS character, I'd pick SMG. If you have any lick of dodge equipment or synnergy (like BCR), or you're a real tank, go with Lead Tempest.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    vendincevendince Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like them both for different occasions, really.

SMG Burst is good for accuracy, when you don't want to pull half the map at once, but rather a small group. Lead Tempest is good when you want to really go all out.

I use them in different situations.