test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tank WIP (old PnP concept) help requested

jash1njash1n Posts: 3 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Power Discussion
Tanks are by far my fave AT. I've toyed with a few, but the big problem has been trying to sort out how to rebuild one of my favorite old PnP characters in CO.

In a nutshell, the concept is that the source of her powers is energy - like, all of it, all the time, constantly and slowly being absorbed, from the ambient heat of nearby people to the cosmic background radiation of the universe - which is what is used to fuel her super strength and invulnerability. I can't for the life of me find a nice little energy absorbtion power that isn't a slotted passive, and none of them make for solid tanking, from what I can tell, so anyone have any ideas there?

For now, defiance/enrage kind of work, and they are awesome, so yay! For a little redirection of the absorbed energy, I settled on throwing in Force Detonation and Cascade later on, 'cause, you know, knocks, ya?

This is a WIP, but here's the PowerHouse mockup (no advantages yet). The last few powers are almost filler...be nice to have them, but things might get moved around.

So, please, dissect!

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Behemoth
Level 6: Mighty
Level 9: Enduring
Level 12: Physical Conditioning
Level 15: Tireless
Level 18: Quick Recovery
Level 21: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
Level 6: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Uppercut (Rank 2)
Level 11: Enrage (Rank 2)
Level 14: Mighty Leap (Bull Rush)
Level 17: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Retaliation (Rank 2, Punitive Pummeling)
Level 23: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Expulse
Level 29: Ebon Ruin
Level 32: Havoc Stomp
Level 35: Shockwave
Level 38: Thunderclap

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight
Level 35: Superjump

Specializations:
Strength: Swole (2/3)
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Strength: Overpower (2/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)
Post edited by jash1n on

Comments

• jaysankjaysank Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The first thing that I see is energy. Defiance and Enrage probably won't keep you full most of the time. I say this because you have Force Cascade. You will spend several seconds building energy to max to try to use it, but you probably lack the Endurance for a full charge.

Why is Presence a Secondary Stat? Force Cascade and Thunderclap are your only powers with control powers and you have no heal powers. An energy stat (Recovery, Endurance, Intelligence) would do well, or you could pick another stat that combos with a useful Energy Unlock, like Intelligence and Molecular Self-Assembly.

You have NO healing power. Quick Healing spec does not count. Literally anything would be better than not having one at all. Conviction, Bountiful Chi Resurgence, even Empathic Healing would be marked improvements over the alternative. It could also give your Presence something to do if you decide to keep it.

I have nothing to say about your Specializations. They look ok, although Quick Healing could be chucked. Bulwark is good, even better if you can be in Hybrid and tank while taking advantage of your superior healing ability.

Secondary Presence might work, but you would have to let go of Force Cascade; that power needs a decent Endurance stat to work.

I hope this helps.
  • jash1njash1n Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, thanks, that's exactly the sort of criticism I'm looking for. :)

A couple questions:

Isn't Resurgence a big fat heal that scales with CON? Or does it only work with Regeneration?

From what I read in guides here on the forums, PRE is the stat you want for agro management, which is why I have it as a secondary. I take my tanking pretty seriously. But, guides can be outdated, which is why I ask.

Some of my other options for getting a little of the cosmic in there might be from Darkness instead of force, or even Infernal. Got levels to go before worrying about that, mind you.

Expulse in Celestial looks like a solid maybe. The knock scaling with EGO is actually a plus, since I don't really want to send things too far. If I went Celestial, then Conviction and Celestial conduit might be cool, and both scale with PRE...so many ideas.
  • reddestshirtreddestshirt Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Resurgence is not a bad skill, but it has a long cool-down and is only useful for getting you out of emergencies. You need something a little more reliable and constant if you want to be a good tank.

Presence no longer has any impact on threat. What you need is Challenging Strikes and Crippling Challenges on your main attack moves.

Your character seems to be suffering from a bit of a power bloat. Do you really need that many different attacks? There are a lot of utility powers you could get if you could trim down your number of attack powers to two or three.

Also, be careful about relying on Defiance and Fuel My Fire to give you energy. You will struggle to retake threat if you ever lose it for some reason. It is better to ensure your energy is generated regardless of you getting hit or not.
  • jash1njash1n Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Updated the build in the main post. Superstats and specs are the big changes.

reddestshirt, you're right about the power bloat. That's part of the reason I'm here asking for advice, especially if people can make suggestions that work into the theme! That's all for the later powers, mind you, as up to 23 or so is just the bread and butter might tank stuff. A lot of the stuff right there now is filler till I figure out what to really get at those levels.

Thanks for the help so far guys, but please feel free to heap some more on me! :D
  • iwontpostderpiwontpostderp Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Behemoth
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning
    Level 9: Relentless
    Level 12: Quick Recovery
    Level 15: Enduring
    Level 18: Mighty
    Level 21: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defiance
    Level 6: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 14: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 17: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 20: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 29: Defile (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge
    Level 35: Shockwave (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 38: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight
    Level 35: Superjump

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Had to stretch a little, but this one might work for your theme.