test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massive FPS drop whenever I Alt-Tab.

aetharburnaetharburn Posts: 40 Arc User
edited December 2012 in PC & Technical Issues
Earlier today I set my Video settings on highest by turning Advanced off and setting the slider (I normally play on really high, with only a few options off) to take a few screenshots. After I was done, I reset my settings (more-or-less, since I couldn't remember them all) and noticed that now I get massive drops in FPS whenever I alt-tab.

This happens even on the lowest of Low settings and no matter what I turn off, whenever I put CO into background, it goes to 5 FPS (Approx.), while running completely normal on Highest when in foreground.

I've been told that this is "normal" and that I just didn't "notice it" before, but I'm pretty sure I'd notice a drop from 60 to 5 FPS whenever I switched to Vent.

I have no other programs running, no viruses and my processes aren't taking more memory than they used to.

Any ideas?

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality."

Comments

• fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Most logical answer? Game switches to a lower FPS when not being used, so it doesn't eat memory.

Less of an issue, more like a feature. :rolleyes:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There is a setting under Video > Troubleshooting that reduces the CPU load when you background the program.
    If you are not in the game you don't need the game using 90% of your processor and 90% of your GPU.
  • aetharburnaetharburn Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, that solved it, thanks a bunch!

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality."