test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maybe making some poor intern's Twitter client blow up will work...

sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
I went off on a bit of a rant.

Hopefully nothing too out of line, but the silence is getting out of hand.
Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sentiments shared.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    imho that why i posted what i did, about our community manager. i really didnt want to post something like that. but something has to get through to him.
    i want to see this game to be a beacon of hope and cheer. but instead we or in the dark wondering if this game will even exsist next year. i understand they need to get to get neverwinter out. but to neglect this game is wrong. our worries our frustrations are ignored by the 1 person who should be a lifeline to the devs. instead where is he? hes over on neverwinter even though they already have a community manager.

am i going to play this game next. i really dont know. its 1 thing when you have enough content to run to max level of 50. but we are running the same old missions to l40.
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well done, Sis! I wish I had a twitter... I'd join you. ._.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hear, hear. That was well written.
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Nicely done. Very nice.
  • Options
    lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    @ChampionsFFA You greeted exiled City of Heroes players with one farewell blog entry and a free XP weekend, and that was it.

I've never understood this. What exactly were you expecting? Other games didn't even acknowledge it (and they seem quite fine, their business is good, and the life goes on). This is one of the few games to go out of their way to acknowledge this group, since others outright ignored them or hazed them into oblivion (looking at you DCUO). Then again, DCUO didn't have to deal with a number of threads about the same thing so maybe they were onto to something. That said I'm not saying "shut up and be grateful" (but I'm sure people will see it as such since the "you're either with us or against us" mentality is reaching a fevered pitch), I'm simply saying that among the many valid complaints, this one rings hollow to me.

And finally, I seriously think all the complaints would be more effective if people consolidated their complaints to a few threads rather than a large series of random threads on the same thing that while filled with legitimate complaints, are also filled with snark or exaggerated outrage.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    lestylo wrote: »
    I've never understood this. What exactly were you expecting? Other games didn't even acknowledge it (and they seem quite fine, their business is good, and the life goes on).

There was an opportunity for CO in CoX's closure. With some timely action and savvy public relations, Cryptic could have grown its market share. Acknowledging the CoX expatriates was nice. The non-existent rest of Cryptic's reaction tells a tale of management disinterest in CO.

Those who are railing against Cryptic's disinterest are imo wasting their time. However, it IS their's to waste. If they think the game is worth fighting for, more power to them. And no, the complaints are not going to be effective, consolidated or not.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've never understood this. What exactly were you expecting? [...]

Something to counteract all the people saying this game is dead in the water...because, until they do that, then those people are basically right, and "dead in the water" isn't exactly an attractive notion to a large group of possible customers who just had their ship unceremoniously sunk to the ocean floor.

Something as simple as an until progress report would have impressed me, to be honest.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Great rant Sister... very well said.

Seems some people don't get that if people complain about the lack of care on the game and lack of Dev presence is BECAUSE WE DO NOT WANT ANOTHER HERO GAME TO GO DOWN UNDER.

The potential for greatness on this game is incredible, but that means it needs an active dev team, crafting new stories, making the game grow... instead of just releasing overpriced fluff
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    haleakala wrote: »
    There was an opportunity for CO in CoX's closure. With some timely action and savvy public relations, Cryptic could have grown its market share. Acknowledging the CoX expatriates was nice. The non-existent rest of Cryptic's reaction tells a tale of management disinterest in CO.

Those who are railing against Cryptic's disinterest are imo wasting their time. However, it IS their's to waste. If they think the game is worth fighting for, more power to them. And no, the complaints are not going to be effective, consolidated or not.

Was it mismanagement? Other companies ignored them and are getting along fine. I don't think CO needed to do any more than what they did. Certainly a lot better than the "get over it already" messages tossed about on DCUO and the outright cold shoulder the devs over there gave. Again, I don't see what more could have been done, outside of a new zone or something. Release a new AT maybe? If it sucks, people will slam it for being a shoddily thrown together mess. If it is good, people will call it OP and say it needs to be nerfed (hi Unleashed). Cryptic has it's issues but this one just sounds like people coming up with stuff for the sake of it or some kind of entitlement issue, which makes it hard to take some of the complaints seriously.

When trying to push for change, leave the more outlandish or petty stuff at home. I think they made a honest effort, especially when compared to other companies. I don't think they could do anything that would have been greatly appreciated by the greater number of people outside of a new zone.
    smoochan wrote: »
    Something to counteract all the people saying this game is dead in the water...because, until they do that, then those people are basically right, and "dead in the water" isn't exactly an attractive notion to a large group of possible customers who just had their ship unceremoniously sunk to the ocean floor.

Something as simple as an until progress report would have impressed me, to be honest.

Nothing short of a new zone would have probably gotten some complaints. We got a message on the front page and some fanfare. That's a lot more than a mere UNTIL report. I mean, why did some of them end up in Secret World? I can't imagine a lack of content would be an issue for a new person.
    Stop the idiotic fanboying already, open your damn eyes to the truth (eventually get your **** out of club caprice and do something other than erp), together we are able to slay this dragon. If you say something else, i'd suggest laying off the dope for a while.

"You're either with us or against us". I'm all for pushing for changes but this kind of stuff just marginalizes people. Unnecessarily.

Again, I don't disagree (for the most part) with OP's message or even her methods. I don't think one can really hold it against Cryptic for not rolling out the red carpet since they made a fairly solid effort with what they have imo. Anything else would require tossing something together at the last second and we all know how badly things go when Cryptic does that...

The idea of wanting necessary changes to the game is a noble one. And I applaud people for having the heart to care about the game enough to do something. But at the same time, what should be a deliberate, thought out, measured response is looking more like wild and disorganized fanaticism. It really feels like it (and I' m sure there are people proud of that) but it really shouldn't. My fear is that instead of getting what we want, the message will be misconstrued or lost in all the craziness and we'll end up with something we never asked for. I mean, it has happened before after all. That said, I will say that I'm glad we've come to the point (in some places) where we're talking about ideas and how they could be made viable as opposed to the standard doom and glooooom.

And now I'm all kinds of mad for writing this much. *kicks over stuff in his best Grond impersonation*
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I'm a bit curious what rules my post refuting someone's baseless accusations broke, as I'm pretty sure I left out any personal attacks.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm a bit curious what rules my post refuting someone's baseless accusations broke, as I'm pretty sure I left out any personal attacks.

You should probably take that up with Smackwell via private message like you're supposed to.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Say nothing and do nothing, in any way to disagree with Cryptic and it's cronies, and you're posts will be fine.

big_brother_is_watching_you_by_tea_bladez_zpsddfc7ae5.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, zenith, your ignorance is certainly strong. I particularly admire the way you stubbornly insist that everyone must adhere to one of two extreme positions, with no shading in-between, and assign people to one of those positions when they try to stand between them...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Was it mismanagement? Other companies ignored them and are getting along fine. I don't think CO needed to do any more than what they did. Certainly a lot better than the "get over it already" messages tossed about on DCUO and the outright cold shoulder the devs over there gave. Again, I don't see what more could have been done, outside of a new zone or something. Release a new AT maybe? If it sucks, people will slam it for being a shoddily thrown together mess. If it is good, people will call it OP and say it needs to be nerfed (hi Unleashed). Cryptic has it's issues but this one just sounds like people coming up with stuff for the sake of it or some kind of entitlement issue, which makes it hard to take some of the complaints seriously.

When trying to push for change, leave the more outlandish or petty stuff at home. I think they made a honest effort, especially when compared to other companies. I don't think they could do anything that would have been greatly appreciated by the greater number of people outside of a new zone.

Nothing short of a new zone would have probably gotten some complaints. We got a message on the front page and some fanfare. That's a lot more than a mere UNTIL report. I mean, why did some of them end up in Secret World? I can't imagine a lack of content would be an issue for a new person.

What would I have done if given oversight and a budget? Developed a plan for the growth of the game, outlined it and then communicated it in addition to the welcome speech. Instead of seeing something like that, people are seeing cries for attention on the forums and zone chat, which when about the game seems to be highly critical. As a potential new customer, I'd be thinking twice about throwing money at Cryptic.

And just how did you get "mismanagement" out of "management disinterest?" It isn't mismanagement if things are going according to plan.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2012

You quoted a post that was deleted. Without the quote, your post was without context and would serve no purpose other than to confuse readers. You didn't really do anything wrong, just got caught in the cleanup.

Also for future reference, it's best to not quote posts with offensive content.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Sorry, getting my posts mixed up. You didn't quote anything bad, replied to a questionable comment that was off topic, but yeah, caught in the cleanup. No use in refuting baseless accusations when those have disappeared.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, zenith, your ignorance is certainly strong. I particularly admire the way you stubbornly insist that everyone must adhere to one of two extreme positions, with no shading in-between, and assign people to one of those positions when they try to stand between them...

you are certainly vocal in the way that you categorise people who don't agree with your cryptic-centric point of view.Tell me jonsills, do you disagree, at all, in the way that Cryptic is handling player feedback on the forums at the moment? (i.e ignoring us)
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm in full agreement. Also, I'm now following you on twitter. :)
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    you are certainly vocal in the way that you categorise people who don't agree with your cryptic-centric point of view.Tell me jonsills, do you disagree, at all, in the way that Cryptic is handling player feedback on the forums at the moment? (i.e ignoring us)
    Yeah. You demonstrate my point again - and reveal the futility of further discussion. I'll go spend my time on more entertaining pursuits. You can keep assigning strawman positions to me, though, if it makes you feel better...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I'll go spend my time on more entertaining pursuits.

Please do, some of us think that things should be improved HERE. Defending the status quo is getting pretty old.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Sorry, getting my posts mixed up. You didn't quote anything bad, replied to a questionable comment that was off topic, but yeah, caught in the cleanup. No use in refuting baseless accusations when those have disappeared.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Please do, some of us think that things should be improved HERE. Defending the status quo is getting pretty old.

He does that alot. Just try not to get dragged into the futility of fighting with somebody who acts like he sees nothing wrong. In reality, it's more like "well, it's not a problem for ME, so it can't be a problem for anybody." That's how a lot of his arguments seem to read lately. Basically, the impression I've gotten is, "well, if you thought like I do, you would enjoy the game as I do." Which is logically fallacious in ALL sorts of ways... :)
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I vote to nominate Jon Sills as the first recipient of the -

Champions Online Official Forums Dr. Pangloss Award!
    Dr. Pangloss and his philosophy are the principal focus of Voltaire's satire. Dr. Pangloss, Candide's tutor and mentor, teaches that in this best of all possible worlds, everything happens out of absolute necessity, and that everything happens for the best. This philosophy parodies the beliefs of Gottfried Leibniz, an Enlightenment era thinker who believed that the world was perfect and that all evil in it was simply a means to greater good.

Every twist of the plot, every new natural disaster, disease, and incident of robbery or assault in Candide is intended to prove Pangloss?s Optimism utterly absurd and out of touch with reality. Pangloss?s personal sufferings alone are more than unusually extreme. In regard to his own misfortune, Pangloss responds that it is necessary to the greater good. The result is that the philosopher appears utterly blind to his own experiences as well as the horrors endured by his friends.

Can I get a second?

:biggrin:
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I'll second that nomination.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    There's that "you're with us or against us" mentality I was talking about. You guys do realize you are proving Jon right, right? These kind of shenanigans and efforts to shame people make it hard for people to take you seriously. You begin to sound less like well-reasoned persons advocating reasonable change and more like rabid fanatics.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It's rather hard to avoid such an artificial "us vs. them" construct when Jon is always responding with posts that pretty much boil down to "lol i don't see anything wrong lol."
  • Options
    ussnighthawkussnighthawk Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I don't think people literally meant that CO could've done more in that they could've added more stuff to do, but just that they could've Fabreezed the smell of death in the air. It's not a comfortable feeling leaving a house that got demolished and walking into a new one that looks similar to the old house but seems to be falling apart, and no one doing renovations. I've caught myself wondering already "where do we go if CO goes under too?" I can't speak for all of the CoX refugees, but I think most would be okay if we'd seen an Ask Cryptic or UNTIL Report soon after CoH's servers went dark; just something to say "welcome to your new home, hope you enjoy your stay, and no the foundation is not cracking." I hope that makes sense.

No relation to "the" Nighthawk.

Refugee from Paragon City. :(

[SIGPIC]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/MetalRacer78/FacesOfNighthawk-ForumSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It's rather hard to avoid such an artificial "us vs. them" construct when Jon is always responding with posts that pretty much boil down to "lol i don't see anything wrong lol."

So he should not say anything? C'mon man, that's not fair.

But I shouldn't have interjected. It's between y'all. Just commenting on how it looks like to me.

I don't think people literally meant that CO could've done more in that they could've added more stuff to do, but just that they could've Fabreezed the smell of death in the air. It's not a comfortable feeling leaving a house that got demolished and walking into a new one that looks similar to the old house but seems to be falling apart, and no one doing renovations. I've caught myself wondering already "where do we go if CO goes under too?" I can't speak for all of the CoX refugees, but I think most would be okay if we'd seen an Ask Cryptic or UNTIL Report soon after CoH's servers went dark; just something to say "welcome to your new home, hope you enjoy your stay, and no the foundation is not cracking." I hope that makes sense.

I don't know. Personally, I was surprised they acknowledged it. I was more expecting them to make some kind of (excuse the pun) cryptic or veiled reference (to avoid possible lawsuits I guess) to CoX while launching some sort of new player initiative/welcome. I guess they could have done that or readdressed the issue but I can see why Cryptic would think they made an effort since other games didn't with some eve taking pleasure in the whole thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well, kojiro, I guess that means you haven't been reading my posts either.

Which, of course, wins you the coveted "Not Worth My Time" award. Enjoy!

• Options
    tacofoodsololtacofoodsolol Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, kojiro, I guess that means you haven't been reading my posts either.

Which, of course, wins you the coveted "Not Worth My Time" award. Enjoy!

Your posts? Which one of them?
    Seriously it's like you're spending most of your daytime spamming the same obnoxious and out-of-touch mantra all over the forums, with only a bit of rewording.

Have you read this http://www.shmoop.com/candide/dr-pangloss.html?
    Because if not, you must read it. Now. Then read it again.

How you managed to travel back in time and have Voltaire include you in one of his works is beyond me, but there's nothing to be proud of, Dr Pangloss.

Now please, it's X-mas, it's going to be a new year, so I beg you, stop being a **** ******* ****** *** ******, and get help asap.
    Thanks you.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There's that "you're with us or against us" mentality I was talking about. You guys do realize you are proving Jon right, right? These kind of shenanigans and efforts to shame people make it hard for people to take you seriously. You begin to sound less like well-reasoned persons advocating reasonable change and more like rabid fanatics.

QFT.

I especially love this statement being made from someone taking part in it:
    Now please, it's X-mas, it's going to be a new year, so I beg you, stop being a **** ******* ****** *** ******, and get help asap.
    Thanks you.

Y u no have Xmas spirit?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It's not a crime to have a positive opinion, people. Closing this thread before it becomes too trollicious.
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.