test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Way to Improve Melee: Charge Up at Range

rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Suggestions Box
So this got me thinking. How about being able to charge up a melee attack from within a respectable ranged distance? You wouldn't be able to hold it up like Megaman's charge up shot but you would have a better fighting chance getting your charge up attacks in time.

With all the running about and chasing it would frustrate melee at no end. This could lighten the load. I'm thinking about 100 feet in distance you can charge up a melee attack. If you don't get within melee distance to unleash it you miss it.
Post edited by rugrothrumbor on

Comments

• alodylisalodylis Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    First off bro im big supporter for melee but you no ranged will cry about that 100 ft charge up. I was thinking 20ft you can charge hit within close range of course. I no alot good melee pvpers idk what there sercret is per say but there able to get into melee range np on most of my toons. If someone could charge dragons claw and run up to you for 10k id be ****ing my pants but that should be a possible future. Melee needs something else to give it more use in combat and not just by slowing other players or rooting. Being unable to move is just horrible for anyone in pvp. We want more movement by all players but easy attacking for melee.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    alodylis wrote: »
    First off bro im big supporter for melee but you no ranged will cry about that 100 ft charge up. [...]

Let 'em cry. Babies cry, and everyone thinks they're adorable. Ranged have it too easy vs melee, and this would be a teeny tiny eeny weeny twinkle dinkle pinkle sinkle thing that melee could have to close the gap, so to speak.

On the other hand, can the game engine support powers that charge outside of their usable range? That's the question. And I hope the answer is yes.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • stauchstauch Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They only seem to do the range-check when you start and end charging but not during it, so it appears to be a fairly easy addition by just adding a certain distance to the starting range-check for targeted melee-range powers. No idea how it's actually coded though.

Pretty sure the melee/ranged classification doesn't really affect the distance it functions on but more to do with various scaling from stats.
  • firefly113firefly113 Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree that 100ft is kind of excessive for a prepped melee charge, but I don't see why a melee can't wind up to hit an enemy within 20 or 30 feet of them.

Ranged characters wouldn't have a reason to 'cry' because all they have to do is stay out of range while melee is winding up. A melee character -can not lunge- while charging an attack, so just stay awaaaaay from them while they waste their energy on their charged attack.

Considering if a melee initiates with a lunge, the lunge puts you in striking distance anyway, so there's no real advantage gained. You can't start a charge, then lunge during it.

If a melee character uses a ranged hold, they have to then charge the melee attack, which gives you time to break out of the hold. No difference from before except the half a second it'd take for them to close the distance.

Without a lunge or hold a melee is just running around like a chicken with their head cut off because they're desperately trying to land attacks, which mostly means they're tapping attacks, once again no advantage from this change. Really if they charge an attack to land it, they're placing their bets on the idea that they can outmaneuver you, which if they're -that good- then they deserve to crit you for 10k.

Ranged characters can crit pretty high too and can do it with almost no effort attached.

This would be an improvement in PvE for melee, and I really don't see what the harm would be in PvP. If you're a ranged character and you get pancake smashed by a drive by haymaker, that's your fault.