test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Advice for a Pet Build

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,519 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Builds and Roles
The one kind of character that I really haven?t tried yet is one based on pets. One of the aspects of the game I enjoy is seeing how different kinds of builds fare in the same situations. I?m hoping that some of the pet meisters will share with me some of the benefits of their wisdom. I?ve looked at the Hexed character and based various aspects of this build off of that one. This one is sort of a dark/infernal sorcerer theme so the pets selected are based off of that.

Major initial questions I have are:

1. Will running in support mode, with Fuel My Fire and Spirit Reverberation, provide enough energy? Would Rejuvenated be of much help? At the moment I?m including Circle of Arcane Power, just in case.

2. Some of the builds I?ve seen seem to be light on defenses and heals. Is this because the villains are assumed to be going after the pets and so the owner doesn?t need the same kind of protection as other heroes?

3. Tied in with 2. If the idea is that pets take most of the damage is 4 enough to do the job? Would I be better served by dropping Field Surge for another pet (Tyrannon?s Faimiliar)? I can only afford a R1 pet if I do that. Worth it?

4. Currently I?m incorporating Ebon Ruin, but I?ve thought to use Life Drain instead, which would then partially make up for dropping Field Surge. Any thoughts one way or the other, or possibly a completely different power would be better?

I?m also interested in how various powers will boost the pets. I?ve never used AoED before and would like to keep it. Seems fun. I can see how this kind of a build could benefit from IDF as well. Does Caregiver boost the effect of Sentinel Aura (in general) and if so, would it boost the effect Sentinel Aura has on pets?

Lastly, if there are any other tips on such builds or recommendations on what I?m doing so far I?d be happy to see them.

Name: Miss Chthonic

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Disciple
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Finesse
Level 12: Shrug It Off
Level 15: Coordinated
Level 18: Diplomatic
Level 21: Survival Training

Powers:
Level 1: Shadow Bolt
Level 1: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Dark Displacement, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
Level 8: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)
Level 14: Void Horror (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Summon Shadows (Rank 2, Devouring Darkness)
Level 20: Inertial Dampening Field
Level 23: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Circle of Arcane Power (Rank 2)
Level 29: Ritual of Ebon Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 32: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Air Elemental (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Field Surge

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Energy Slide
Level 35: Electro Flight

Specializations:
Constitution: Unyielding (1/2)
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Resilient (1/2)
Constitution: Quick Healing (3/3)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (2/3)
Commander: Create An Opening (2/2)
Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
Commander: Durable (2/3)
Commander: Savage (3/3)
Mastery: Commander Mastery (1/1)
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• judgeb0tjudgeb0t Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like IDF on pet builds, but I also like AoPM to pump up your minions.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,519 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thanks. I have AoPM on another guy and wanted to try out something different on this one.
    judgeb0t wrote: »
    I like IDF on pet builds, but I also like AoPM to pump up your minions.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • piro2genpiro2gen Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Pets inherit half (1/2) of your critical chance and severity. The cool part of AoED is that extra damage on critical. Pets do get that.

I'd go with DEX primary to pump up critical as high as possible. Your pets won't be as durable as with Arcane Protection so you may want to max out damage output.

With PRE as super stat I'd try to take Conviction. Conviction can crit. With high DEX (plus specializations) that can be big green numbers very often.
    edited December 2012
    I'm a little worried about energy requirements, so went with Con to use Fuel My Fire. Maybe when she gets up to 40 (only 23 at the moment) and I get get the silver champions gear energy issues won't be so much an issue and I can try Dex as PSS.

So, perhaps Conviction instead of Protection Field.
    piro2gen wrote: »
    Pets inherit half (1/2) of your critical chance and severity. The cool part of AoED is that extra damage on critical. Pets do get that.

I'd go with DEX primary to pump up critical as high as possible. Your pets won't be as durable as with Arcane Protection so you may want to max out damage output.

With PRE as super stat I'd try to take Conviction. Conviction can crit. With high DEX (plus specializations) that can be big green numbers very often.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • slowecsl4pweslowecsl4pwe Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hi,

I have a few different pet builds with varying Passives including AoED and AoRP. I believe one of my most effective ones is based on AoRP and running with Sentinel Mastery.

The only downside to running in support mode you do less damage yourself, but your pets do most of it anyway and the specializations and mastery help keep them alive better.

With having only one main attack on this particular build, you better make it count and with Venomous breath it serves a two-fold purpose. It both does damage and with running in support mode with the Supernatural Power unlock, you can pretty much run it constantly, it also procs Sentinel Mastery quite regularly to keep both your pets and those you team with alive better.

In the standard world quests it is very effective, in Alerts, the pets get beat down by certain villains like Draconis, but they can easily be re-summoned to get back in the fight.

This character pretty much gets her prey within the 50' attack range and blasts away and against big Alert bosses, throws down the circle so I don't have to worry so much about me, and just keep an eye on my pets.

One last note, pet builds I have tried don't do well against Gravitar as she crushes them very quickly, followed swiftly by you since pet builds like I have give up a lot of defense and offense due to spec choices.

I have geared her with Silver Recog gear and added mods for critical strike and one of the mod slots for Recovery as this scales with the Supernatural Power energy unlock.

Nonetheless, here is one of my favorite builds and running them in the regular game content, she is very effective...

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Death on the Nile

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Arcanus
    Level 6: Finesse
    Level 9: Coordinated
    Level 12: Diplomatic
    Level 15: Shrug It Off
    Level 18: Command Training
    Level 21: Sniper Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Infernal Bolts
    Level 1: Venomous Breath (Rank 2, Paralytic Bile, Infectious Bile, Locust Breath)
    Level 6: Supernatural Power
    Level 8: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)
    Level 11: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3, Runic Glow)
    Level 14: Aspect of the Infernal
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Void Horror (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Command Animals (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Ritual of Primal Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
    Level 29: Arctic Beast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Shadow Shroud (Terrifying Visage)
    Level 35: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Rebirth (Grave Consequences)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Scarab Flight
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Dominion (1/2)
    Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Commander: Evasive Action (2/2)
    Commander: Create An Opening (2/2)
    Commander: Multitasker (1/3)
    Commander: Durable (2/3)
    Commander: Savage (3/3)
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (1/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Sentinel: Genesis (2/2)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Apathy is on the rise, but nobody seems to care.
    edited December 2012
    Some cool ideas there. I like the idea of Circle of Primal Dominion. I'll have to see how her energy is when she gets the silver champions gear (long way from that at present).

I don't really do Alerts or Gravitar very much, so I'm not worried about her effectiveness in those situations.
    Hi,

I have a few different pet builds with varying Passives including AoED and AoRP. I believe one of my most effective ones is based on AoRP and running with Sentinel Mastery.

In the standard world quests it is very effective, in Alerts, the pets get beat down by certain villains like Draconis, but they can easily be re-summoned to get back in the fight.

One last note, pet builds I have tried don't do well against Gravitar as she crushes them very quickly, followed swiftly by you since pet builds like I have give up a lot of defense and offense due to spec choices.
    JwLmWoa.png