test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Build help, gear explanations, power usage, general stuff.

razorcurerazorcure Posts: 36 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Power Discussion
Before I launch into questions, I am going to give a bit of background, a lot of it will be related to teh only other MMO I have played, CoX. I guess some of the stuff can be more generic, but to help 'me' understand, I through of think of things in comparison to CoX mechanics and workings.

On CoX, I was the full member, with access to everything. I could, and did, afford almost everything, doing builds in perhaps..the top 5% of 'tricked out.' I did not use pvp gear, or the highest levels of normal gear (purples) because I had so many toons and felt you didn't need it.

Not too say bad things about the CO system..but as a free player, the ATs seem VERy restrictive, compared to what I could get in cox. And not just get..how I build a toon. I have...3 power choices, each choice have a huge (sarcasm) two options, plus the travel powers.

But ok, thats how it works, moving on. To Money. What is 'rich' in this game? The G, N and L resources..that is money? And why do I have values around say..60, but when I finish an Alert, I get a message saying I found 7,000 resources?

Onto Gear..there seems to be a stupid amount of gear types, and so many different stats. Going back to cox again, discounted the IO system (basically, cox + gear), the Enhancing or your build was dead simple. See what a power can be slotted for (dam, acc etc) and then go to a appropiate vender, and buy the stuff.

In CO, does something similar..exist? I keep picking up gear from missions, but it never seems to be related to my Super Stats, which I hear is what I mainly want to focus on. Also..does the level of said Gear matter, does it degrade as I get higher?

Basically, what I want, instead of people just saying 'Oh just upgrade your gear! It will be awesome!' is someone to say..Go to Vendor X in XXX, find Magic Uber Hat 123a, buy it. Equip it. Thats it. Can anyone do that?

To give a rough idea what I have...The Unleashed.
Health..3634
Str..117 Off..70
Dex..170 CrC..29
Co..28 CrS..65
Int..46
Ego..10 Def..42
Pre..20 Dodge..35
Rec..44 Avo..26
End..10

So yeah..super Stats...I want them up? Not to complain again...but I think the Names for some things are just..pants on head. My Defence..you know..'defence' is actually..giving me damage resist? Wtf? Does it DO anything, besides damage resist? And if not..why not call it..you know...damage resist? To obvious for new players?

Again..just seemed to make more..sense in cox. I read on one thread that getting Dodge is better than Def? Which, since def is actually Res (of course it is), I can totally understand from a cox perspective.

What should I build to, besides Super Stats? I keep hearing the Unleashed is 'powerful'. What is..powerful in regard to CO? Powerfully is offence, defence? Do I 'need' some magical value of def or doge before it suddenly gets to be strong in defence, because I dont feel that. I dont get a heal till 25 (25, on a melee? Please) and seem to just be using block + EotS to make myself tougher. Is this right? I just got Field Surge and it helps a lot. If someone can say..Yes, that is right..the AT gets defence powers late...I can live with that.

Onto Offence..I have one attack that hits Uber Bosses for 3k..and the rest are utterly ****e? This just seems..stupid? Maybe I am wrong to compare it to cox again (I know, different game) but..one decent attack, on a melee focuessed AT? Then there is the energy builders..

Not to totally lay into the base game mechanics but..you build end by..attacking? Yeah, ok. Makes sense..in backwards land. But I can live with that..not saying it doesnt work rather well..just still striokes me as a bit odd. Especially since my building attack does like..50 damage. So I can either spend my time spamming it and does jackall, thereby increasing the chance I will take hits (since again, no defence at 25..) and die..OR..spam my ONE decent attack, spamming meaning..use once, then spam my energy builder anyway..

Anyway..I think that is about it :) If people can pluck some questions out of that to answer..it would be great!
Post edited by razorcure on

Comments

• reddestshirtreddestshirt Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I know nothing of CoX so I cannot make useful comparisons.

As for money, there are three primary types.

Resources. These are mainly used to buy secondary gear for and mods to slot into primary gear. The reason your numbers aren't matching up is because 7000 "local resources" is converted to 70 "national resources" which is worth 0.7 "global resources", most people just refer to the currency as globals since you won't really find anything useful for less than a global resource.

Questionite. Earned primarily from doing the daily alert missions, though most bosses have a chance to drop some of it as well. You buy specialty gear, costumes and travel powers with it.
    You can also convert it to Zen

Zen. This can be bought using real world money or by trading for Questionite in game (though real money will still be spent as it is players that buy your questionite for Zen)
    Support the game AND get lots of cool toys, appearances, vehicles and classes. You can also use it to unlock a free-form character slot, allowing you to truly take advantage of CO's class system. free-form characters basically get to chose any combination of powers they want.

As to what is rich in this game... It is quite easy to get enough resources to buy all the things that matter, but it will take ages to buy all the Zen and Questionite items unless you put in real money into the game. I would personally recommend just getting a subscription. That way you can have as many free-form characters as you want and have access to most of the costumes in the Zen store.

Gear: Level of the item has no effect on anything except to determine the stats. They will never deteriorate but you may find that higher level items have higher stats.
    The gearing situation is quite different between 40 and anything lower since you will have access to silver champion gear (called Heroic items) at 40. The main difference there is that you have to look into how mods work to get proper gear at 40, but you can ignore this before that time.

As for what gear to go with while leveling. Just pick the things that add the most to your super stats. Aim for Constitution if you want more hit points, Ego/Strength/Dexterity for more damage and Endurance/Recovery/Intelligence if you want more energy for attacks.

Basically, don't worry too much while leveling, but do look up the Unity 1 and 2 missions when you get to level 40. Heroic items are pretty much a must have.

Now onto powers and archetypes. There is nothing wrong with Unleashed, but all the AT's are inferior to a well designed free-form character, especially defensively. They do well enough for most of the games content though, but don't expect to be the best at anything.
    One reason Unleashed is considered good is because it gets a self-healing power, not many of the AT's do. Getting it at 25 is late, but it is far better than never.

It can generally be said that CO promotes character design that revolve around a small number of attacks and a large number of supporting skills. Many free-form characters go with just one single-target power and one area attack and go with support for the rest of the powers. This is less true for dedicated damage-dealers that may chose to go for combos that inflict various conditions.

As for energy builders, it might help if you think of them more of a sort of combo builder system. Setting things up for your big attacks.

That said, they are meant to be a crutch to fall back on when your other methods of generating energy fails. AT's will find that they have to lean on that crutch quite a lot while there may not be any need for them at all if you have a well-built free-form character.
  • zazelbyzazelby Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Bear in mind that I'm a CoH vet and have far more experience with CoH's stat system (or lack thereof), but I'm slooowly figuring out how CO's stat system works. I don't know enough to give any specific advice on character-building (I'm building my first character for fun as much as for effectiveness), but I can tell you what the numbers do (and how they compare to CoH)

So lets talk mitigation, since you seem to have attacking down pretty well if you're doing 3k damage.

"Defense" was actually used weirdly in CoH. Every other game I've ever played that had a "Defense" stat used it to mean "damage resist", and it took me a while to realize that CoH didn't use it that way (instead using it to mean dodge/deflect - and for people who never played CoH, dodging or deflecting an attack there meant it missed you entirely and you take 0 damage, so Defense was very powerful and most high-end players built for it). So it's CoH that was the oddball, not CO.

Note also that CO's "Damage resistance" is not straightforward like CoH's was. In CoH, if you have, say, 50% resistance to an element, it means you take half damage. In CO, if you have 50% resistance, you take 2/3 damage. That weirdness is because the formula is Final Damage = Damage * 1/(1+Resist), so it's Damage * 1/(1+50%) = 1/(1+0.5) = 1/1.5 = 2/3.

It's a weird system, but I think I understand why they did it that way - so that it has a built-in Diminishing Returns mechanic, and so you can never become completely immune to attacks.

CO uses "Dodge" for the chance to dodge or deflect an attack, but it works differently than CoH. Here "dodging" an attack means you negated part of the damage only, not all of it, and the amount it's reduced is given by the Avoidance stat. There's also diminishing returns involved in the avoidance stat, but I'm not entirely sure what that formula is.

The upshot of this is that you take damage every single time you're attacked, with no way to completely avoid damage, though you can reduce it to 1. (The good side of that is that it works both ways - you can never miss)

As an Unleashed, you'll be getting most of your defense from gear rather than powers, because your archetype has almost no defensive powers. The closest thing you get to a defensive power is Field Surge at level 30, and that's more like what CoH called Absorb (extra hit points over and above your own), and since that's one of the levels you can choose a power, you can skip Field Surge entirely if you want. (The other Level 30 power choice, Intensity, is basically Build Up, including the 10-second duration and 90-second cooldown)

So, there you go. Get good defensive gear, take Bountiful Chi Resurgence and Field Surge, and there's your damage mitigation. The rest is killing enemies quickly enough that you don't get hurt much.

"It is unthinkable. But such is the nature of villainy, don't you think? To do the unthinkable, to challenge the impossible, to conquer all before you and make destiny your own." - Ghost Widow

And that's why I like villains.
  • andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    1) You can always earn quetonite and refine them. For a free player, you can only refine 8k quetonite per day. After you have refined them, you can echange them into Zen to buy stuff from the Z-store such as costume unlocks, hideout, freeform slot, etc.

2)As a silver(free) player, you have to work hard to on quetonite to earn Zen to purchase freeform slot if you feel that Archetypes are very restrictive. With freeform slot, you can choose any power you like from any powerset and it is very flexible but you will need to learn how to match the powers to grant you more damage or more defense.

3)As a free player, you can only bring 250gold along with you. And you are not able to save your gold in the bank. If you want to have more than 250gold, you have to purschase a hideout and store your gold in it. Even though you can have more than 250gold with a hideout, you can only spend 250 gold per trade cause you can only have 250gold in your inventory.

4)Gears are only significant when you have reached level 40. At level 40, you can do UNITY mission and earn a new currency name Silver Champion recognition. With it, you can buy purple heroic gears which have 3 free slots for you to slot in mods that suit your superstat and role. There are some secondary gears for level 40 which can be bought from the Qeutonite store and they cost 150k quetonite but they are not so important you can get some purple secondary gear from monsters but the drop rate is not that high and the quetonite secondary gears provide slightly better for superstats.

5)In CO, the game mechanics and math in combat are different. I am saying this because if you see a figure such as 100% avoidance, it does not mean that you can avoid all damage and get 0 damage. In fact, you will still get damage based on your defense. The higher offense you have, it grants higher % of damage to your powers. On the other hand, defense grants you % resistance to damage. As I mentioned earlier 100% resistance does not mean you wont get any damage. Instead you will receive damage and some boss can hurt you seriously even you have 100% resistance.
  • ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    First, you really need to understand that ATs (like Unleashed) are "meant" to be restrictive. If they weren't, why pay to be freeform?

You won't see a lot of spectacular gear until 40, so don't base any decisions on lack of gear.

Your 3 superstats are all you need to focus on when you do choose gear. So far, I have not found any reason at all to sacrifice any superstats for an "off stat" for ANY toon, so just focus on your 3 stats and you will be perfectly fine. Most missions have a choice that will cater to your superstats...and if it doesn't, then just take the gear and sell it to a vendor.

Vendors don't really have gear for you until 40. However once you hit 25, you can make your Nemesis at the Police Station and do your starter quest at the Museum. Every so often after that you will get attacked by nemesis minions that can drop a quest item for you. Doing these quests will get you Nemesis Tokens. There is a Nemesis vendor that sells "Hierloom" gear for your toon. GET A FULL SET OF THIS. These 6 pieces will increase with your level AND you can pass them to your alts when you get to 40. These pieces will automatically adjust to your superstat choices and also grant a small XP bonus. People that have a 6-piece set will never complain about gear while levelling ever again.

Don't worry about being rich in this game. There is nothing to spend it on. All the gear is bought with tokens of sorts. If you get into collecting costume pieces, you might buy a few of those, but chances are, you could have farmed it just as easily. Also Resources are always listed in terms of Penny/Copper. So your 70,000 resources was only 7g.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    razorcure wrote: »
    But ok, thats how it works, moving on. To Money. What is 'rich' in this game?

Free player resource caps at 250 global.

Onto Gear..there seems to be a stupid amount of gear types, and so many different stats.

As an Unleashed, focus on Dex, Rec, Str; other pluses, once you get to gear you can slot a mod into, are primary offense w/ +crit chance as a fixed stat, primary defense with Avoidance (slot Gambler's Lucky Gems in both, which would give more crit chance and dodge chance, respectively). For primary utility, cooldown reduction and cost reduction are the best options for a DPS.

The numbers on gear do increase as you level, so look for gear from missions rewards and drops that will upgrade your super stats, dodge, crit chance and avoidance. If you find health to be an issue, some gear with +CON might help.

Once you get to 40, do Unity Missions for Silver Champions Recognition, buy the purple primaries from the Silver Champions vendor in the building in Ren Centre with the Recognition sign. Which purple primaries? See above. The Unity mission starter will be in mail once you get to 40.

For secondary slots, the purple drop gear can be farmed or bought on the Auction House. Expect to pay more for Dex and Crit Chance than for many of the other choices.

My Defence..you know..'defence' is actually..giving me damage resist? Wtf? Does it DO anything, besides damage resist? And if not..why not call it..you know...damage resist? To obvious for new players?

There is no missing in CO, all attacks hit if you are in range. There are multiple ways to reduce damage, basically being flat reduction, percentage reduction from dodge (called Avoidance), percentage reduction from resistance, shields (basically extra hit points), more health (mostly through +CON). The resistance formula is 1 + (RESIST %/100) = divisor. If "42" is your %reduction, then 42/100 + 1 = 1.42. A hit for 1000 damage would do 1000/1.42 or 704 inside (absent any other defenses). Avoidance, on the other hand is a straight number. Your current stats mean that you would dodge 35% of the time and take 74% of the damage.

The order in which defense is applied also matters. Shields --> Avoidance (if you dodged) --> Resistance --> Flat Reduction.

This is all called "Cryptic math" and like many game systems, is probably more complicated than it needed to be.

What should I build to, besides Super Stats? I keep hearing the Unleashed is 'powerful'. What is..powerful in regard to CO? Powerfully is offence, defence? Do I 'need' some magical value of def or doge before it suddenly gets to be strong in defence, because I dont feel that. I dont get a heal till 25 (25, on a melee? Please) and seem to just be using block + EotS to make myself tougher. Is this right? I just got Field Surge and it helps a lot. If someone can say..Yes, that is right..the AT gets defence powers late...I can live with that.

Once you get Bountiful Chi Resurgence, take the Resurgent Reiki advantage which gives an extra heal when you dodge; then pump dodge chance and avoidance through gear and mods. For the DEX specialization you'll be better off in the second tier to take Deadly Aim (critical severity) over the +dodge +avoidance specs, which provide small increments vastly outshined by the ones from gear and mods.

For more healing, take the Vindicator spec, and take The Rush of Battle for a heal on kill.

Take Blade Beyond the Veil on Eye of the Storm. This attack is best if used for partial maintains rather than full ones, as the damage drops off the further you go. BBtV essentially sends damage back to attackers.

Unleashed is considered powerful compared to other AT's because: it has a heal, since most AT's do not; Dual Blades is considered a potent frame; Eye of the Storm has a defensive component as well as doing decent damage with a crit spec; Form of the Tempest is the best toggle for a melee crit spec, Dex primary melee character.

Onto Offence..I have one attack that hits Uber Bosses for 3k..and the rest are utterly ****e? This just seems..stupid? Maybe I am wrong to compare it to cox again (I know, different game) but..one decent attack, on a melee focuessed AT? Then there is the energy builders..

Not to totally lay into the base game mechanics but..you build end by..attacking? Yeah, ok. Makes sense..in backwards land. But I can live with that..not saying it doesnt work rather well..just still striokes me as a bit odd. Especially since my building attack does like..50 damage. So I can either spend my time spamming it and does jackall, thereby increasing the chance I will take hits (since again, no defence at 25..) and die..OR..spam my ONE decent attack, spamming meaning..use once, then spam my energy builder anyway..

The energy builder discussion's ship has sailed. It's here to stay, so best get used to it. Energy management will become easier once you get Dragon's Wrath at level 35. A full charged DW will do heavy damage and proc an energy gain buff called Rush, so long as you have Form of the Tempest up. In the meantime, FotT does return some energy, and high Recovery means your builder will generate more energy per hit.

Unleashed is intended as a crit based spec. Chance/Severity will increase with leveling and the better gear that will be available at higher levels.

Yes, 35 is a long way to wait for energy management, but Unleashed has better energy management tools than many other AT's (believe it or not). I played CoX to level 30ish, and was just starting to see better energy management, whereas the early levels consisted on a lot of waiting for energy to build. However, that was when the MA edition was "current."

Responses in cyan.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • razorcurerazorcure Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I know nothing of CoX so I cannot make useful comparisons....
    "Text"

Thank you Red! That was a great lil collection of clarifications and tips. Really nice. Especially the bit about the resources..I was wondering why I'd get 7k..and then have nothing. lol.

I was assume the AT's were less good than Freeform, hearing it confirmed is helpful. A bit sad though.

Your view on energy builds helps too..combos make sense. As an aside, is that that 'same' type of Combo that I see mentioned in other build, when someone talks about having 'your combos do X and Y'?

Thank you again Red
    edited December 2012
    zazelby wrote: »
    Bear in mind that I'm a CoH vet and have far more experience with CoH's stat system...

Another good, different type of reply, thank you. Your explanations help..I found my CoX builds to be much better after I got a basic understanding of HOW and why stuff happened. Seeing the differences is good.
    edited December 2012
    ajanus wrote: »

Vendors don't really have gear for you until 40. However once you hit 25, you can make your Nemesis at the Police Station and do your starter quest at the Museum. Every so often after that you will get attacked by nemesis minions that can drop a quest item for you. Doing these quests will get you Nemesis Tokens. There is a Nemesis vendor that sells "Hierloom" gear for your toon. GET A FULL SET OF THIS. These 6 pieces will increase with your level AND you can pass them to your alts when you get to 40. These pieces will automatically adjust to your superstat choices and also grant a small XP bonus. People that have a 6-piece set will never complain about gear while levelling ever again.

I did the Museum one. Have only got one more Nem 'mission' since then, in..7 levels of play? Is that about normal? Also, you say to get a set of the Heirloom stuff. Is that gonna take ages and ages? Is being able to get a set by say..level XX, a realistic goal?
    Thank you also!
    edited December 2012
    haleakala wrote: »
    Responses in cyan.

Just gonna ask a few more questions..thank you for the replies already Hal.

"are primary offense w/ +crit chance as a fixed stat, primary defense with Avoidance (slot Gambler's Lucky Gems in both, which would give more crit chance and dodge chance, respectively). For primary utility, cooldown reduction and cost reduction are the best options for a DPS"

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. So many options I wasnt sure what would be best.

You are talking about Crit Severity. I took the..um..forget the name..the Auto Crit advantage in Harvest Blades? I like it..and getting a full charged up auto crit seems nice..but then I saw another guide saying it is a bad idea since it locks me out of crits? (I did read that in the advantage info). Is it better NOT to take said Adv? I really like it..cause I can crit, then just hit EotS and thats almost 5 secs anyway..then I can just chain up another certain crit..

Thank you for replying again!
    edited December 2012
    Oh, one last question. I was looking in the Q store, and saw, at the bottom, Set Items for like..11k Q each. They seem decent numbers and apparently level with me. But..then are a lot cheaper than the other stuff at 100k. lol
    Are they just not worth it, overshadowed by the Until stuff I can get at 40?
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I cant realy add much to whats been said, but as no one has replied about nemesis missions yet i can add to that.

Nemesis minions have a chance to attack you (purely observational but id say its something like 15-20% chance) every time you run over one of those temp boost orbs an enemy drops (yellow shield, red damage, green health and blue energy).

The minions can drop clues for missions at most once every 6 hours real time, with some key missions (like the museum one) having longer cooldowns (not certain if all same or length but at least 12 hours+)

You almost certainly wont get a full set of nemesis gear before reaching 40 on at least one character, unless you are real casual in your play, and do a nemesis mission every day in a short play period.

The number of tokens you get for a mission varies with mission and level, so you will get tokens faster as you gain levels, still a lvl 40 will need 3-5 ish missions for each piece of heirloom gear.

Eventually you get to lock your nemesis up for good and then can create another one, or decide that the current one 'escapes' to come after you some more, and can create upto 18 different ones per character.

Heirloom gear costs 200 nemesis tokens for primary and 150 for secondary. There is just 1 for each slot except secondary utility that has 4 different options - one with no eye aura and 3 different coloured eye aura options.

After you get a set of heirloom gear (if you want one at all, but id recommend it) you can use nemesis tokens to get mods and action figures from the vendor.
  • nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Oh, one last question. I was looking in the Q store, and saw, at the bottom, Set Items for like..11k Q each. They seem decent numbers and apparently level with me.

They do have decent numbers and they do level with you.
    But..then are a lot cheaper than the other stuff at 100k. lol

The purple secondaries and the leveling sets (armadillo, cyber, samurai) are the only worthwhile gear purchased from the questionite store.
    Are they just not worth it, overshadowed by the Until stuff I can get at 40?

I find the questionite-store sets (with a distinct preference for the armadillo set) to be more useful than the nemesis-token sets are while leveling. Yes, you replace them at level 40 as you acquire and mod better pieces ... but they remain quite viable even at level 40 if you don't want to go through the process of upgrading your character's gear.

The only downside to the leveling sets is that they bind to your character, unlike the nemesis-token sets which bind to your account. Can't move them between characters like you can with the nemesis stuff.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
    edited December 2012
    Ahhh thanks for the new info Naz.

I was playing about in the online builder thingy, going on some of teh info people have put forward, and came up with teh following. I am not sure if you can view Stats in the Onlline builder (like you can in the Offline CO builder) but..more of a idea for what skills and stuff to take..or, not to take.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: The Unleashed

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Unleashed
    Level 7: Martial Focus
    Level 12: Impresario
    Level 15: Mighty
    Level 20: Quick Recovery
    Level 25: Acrobat
    Level 30: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Rain of Steel
    Level 1: Blade Tempest
    Level 6: Storm's Harvest (Rank 2, Red-Eyed Dragon)
    Level 8: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Force Snap (Entropic Collapse)
    Level 14: Form of the Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)
    Level 21: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
    Level 25: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 30: Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)
    Level 35: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2)
    Level 40: Force Geyser

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Swinging (Flippin')
    Level 35: Flight

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Dexterity: Evasion (1/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (2/3)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (1/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=5&n=&d=E271e9K1PGa9410A000A100A205IA033204A603AG053707DK053B05AE013800000000002Sq73bZJ09gO
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I did the Museum one. Have only got one more Nem 'mission' since then, in..7 levels of play? Is that about normal? Also, you say to get a set of the Heirloom stuff. Is that gonna take ages and ages? Is being able to get a set by say..level XX, a realistic goal?
    Thank you also!
    There's a 6 hour cooldown between the completion of one Nemesis mission until you can get the next*. Also, your next couple of missions will come from ambushes, which can spawn in any zone (not instance) when you get a boost orb.

As far as the rewards go they increase with level, but still have a random range (I've seen missions give from 16 to 80ish tokens on a level 40)

*The various showdows are dual missions, you'll immedately get the second part upon completing the first.
    edited December 2012
    You are talking about Crit Severity. I took the..um..forget the name..the Auto Crit advantage in Harvest Blades? I like it..and getting a full charged up auto crit seems nice..but then I saw another guide saying it is a bad idea since it locks me out of crits? (I did read that in the advantage info). Is it better NOT to take said Adv? I really like it..cause I can crit, then just hit EotS and thats almost 5 secs anyway..then I can just chain up another certain crit..

Thank you for replying again!

Two things about crits and the Unleashed. Focus stacks from Form of the Tempest increase your damage. You get focus stacks from critting. The best way to build stacks is by using a fast-ticking maintained attack (more chances to crit if you are attacking every half second). The only maintain you have at this point is EotS. Sure, you'll get a crit and a stack with SH, but will not for the 5 seconds you are using EotS in between if you have the advantage on SH. This may very well be costing you damage bonus, which is probably why that guide recommended against it.

Willie Nelson

• kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    About getting Nemesis minions to attack you:

Minions have a chance to pop up whenever you collect a boost orb. If that orb came from an object rather than an NPC, that chance is 100%. So if you want to get your nem mission clues easily, find a spot with a lot of objects to destroy and start with the demolition.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited December 2012
    kallethen wrote: »
    About getting Nemesis minions to attack you:

Minions have a chance to pop up whenever you collect a boost orb. If that orb came from an object rather than an NPC, that chance is 100%. So if you want to get your nem mission clues easily, find a spot with a lot of objects to destroy and start with the demolition.

Like the chairs behind the UNTIL HQ in Millennium City, for example. :biggrin:

edited December 2012

Questionite. Earned primarily from doing the daily alert missions, though most bosses have a chance to drop some of it as well. You buy specialty gear, costumes and travel powers with it.
    You can also convert it to Zen

Zen. This can be bought using real world money or by trading for Questionite in game (though real money will still be spent as it is players that buy your questionite for Zen)

I saw the exchange. But no idea what to do. lol. I see I can get travel powers (for example) for 200k Ques. Like electric swinging. Is that the same as normal Swinging, but colored? Would it be better to exchange Q for Zen and get the power instead?
    How long does it roughly take to get enough Q/Zen for a freeform slot?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I saw the exchange. But no idea what to do. lol. I see I can get travel powers (for example) for 200k Ques. Like electric swinging. Is that the same as normal Swinging, but colored? Would it be better to exchange Q for Zen and get the power instead?
    How long does it roughly take to get enough Q/Zen for a freeform slot?

The Questionite travel powers, though based on regular ones, have slightly different animations. Vine or energy swing function like regular swinging, but have a different appearance.

The exchange rate for Zen to Questionite usually hovers around 170-180 Q per 1 Z, so you have to decide is a single travel power skin is worth the $12 or so it'd cost to buy the Zen, ($1 US = 100 Zen).

My recommendation would be to play 1 character normally, and save the Q you earn to buy a set of 3 or 6 pieces of the 11K Questionite gear; Each piece costs 11,000 Questionite, but levels with your character, provides a bonus to *all* their superstats, and if you equip 3 or 6 pieces of the same set, you get a bonus, (Bonus to physical or non-physical damage you deal, or a bonus to damage resistance).

I'd also make sure to test out the regular version of the travel powers in question, just to make sure it's something you'd actually want to put the time or money into getting. For instance, I just can't get the hang of swinging, so I don't use it, but there are a few people who are really good at it and can travel quite fast and stick their landings perfectly.

As far as converting between the two - there's a 'Questionite Exchange' button at the bottom of the Questionite store window - you go into there to trade between the two. Just make absolutely sure how much Q you are offering per Z, (or visa-versa), so you don't get ripped off.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Bio. I was really just using the Ques Travel powers as an example, since it is the first thing I saw.
    So a Freeform slot, at 4000Zen, would be around..600,000 Q, with the average exchage right, correct?
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Bio. I was really just using the Ques Travel powers as an example, since it is the first thing I saw.
    So a Freeform slot, at 4000Zen, would be around..600,000 Q, with the average exchage right, correct?

Freeform Character Slot is 5000 Zen.

5000 Zen * 200 Refined Questionite Per Zen = 1,000,000 Refined Questionite.

At the rate of 8000 Refined Questionite per-character per-day? (... as I'm assuming you haven't been paying them for long enough to be a 1000-day veteran account.) It will take no less than 125 character-days to accumulate sufficient Refined Questionite to purchase the Freeform Fharacter Slot from the Zen Store.

So if you have one character, it will take 125 days.
    If you have two characters, it will take 63 days.
    If you have three characters, it will take 42 days.
    If you have four characters, it will take 32 days.
    Etc, etc, etc.

• bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited December 2012

As another has stated, it's 5000 Z per FF Slot.

You can look into some of the free offers to lessen the cost/time it would take to get one - I've done the Netflix trial for 1500Z, and there are a few others that could reduce it even further. Just be sure to read up on them and if they include a free trial, make sure to cancel before said trial is up.

TBH, play at least one AT up to max level, (I'd recommend the Unleashed, Marksman, Glacier, or Radiant), to see if this is a game you'd want to invest that kind of time into...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited December 2012
    Back to Nemesis Missions.

I made my Neme, got a clue the next day. Since then, almost 4 days..I have NOT got a single clue more. I had been killing chairs, and getting the mobs of neminions spawning, but then are NOT dropping clues.

Apparently its every 6 hours per clue? It has been over that.

Is there some way I missed the clue? Got it then deleted it? Something? Cause nothing is happening.

I am about to report a bug.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Back to Nemesis Missions.

I made my Neme, got a clue the next day. Since then, almost 4 days..I have NOT got a single clue more. I had been killing chairs, and getting the mobs of neminions spawning, but then are NOT dropping clues.

Apparently its every 6 hours per clue? It has been over that.

Is there some way I missed the clue? Got it then deleted it? Something? Cause nothing is happening.

I am about to report a bug.

Do you still have the first clue ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited December 2012
    As mentioned above - The clue is a clickable mission, you do that then after 6 hours another clue (to click for a mission) can drop and so on, after a while youll get an item drop for a key mission (with longer cooldown 12-24 hours i think) and then more clue drops and so on.

If you completed the clue mission and after 6 hours have had other nemesis attacks with no clue drops it does indeed sound like a bug and would need a gm ticket (press escape, select help, request gm help, and submit a ticket)
    edited December 2012
    Also..can a F2P not claim email attachments?
    I got the Unity email and one from Sapphire..but I cant claim the attached files?
  • fr0gurtfr0gurt Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Are you using the UNTIL mail terminals to pick up the attachments? You can't pick them up directly from the minimap interface.

The "Fan with a Plan" mission was recently updated. You should drop that mission and pick it up again from Sapphire's Assistant, who should now be listed in the Crime Computer contacts.

The UNITY invitation hasn't been changed as far as I know, but if the mail isn't working, try talking to the man in the plaid suit in the UNTIL building courtyard.
    edited December 2012
    As mentioned above, to get attachments from mail you need to use a mailbox - these are the until terminals under the big archers (either side of powerhouse) in ren centre.
    edited December 2012
    Yeah..I just found out about the claiming attachments. Though..god knows why you cant JUST claim from email..is it such a big difference to go to the terms?

Ok..seems to be going now.

Next question..after donig teh Vibora Bad Apoc arc (very cool btw) and unlocking T4 powers..do I have to be a full sub to use them? I ask cause I read on teh wiki you do..but the Policguy on VB mentioned going to try the powers..which seems dumb if I cant use them.

Oh and. The Secrets and Serum Mission..I cant find the Courier..and killing Ulg Bosses doesnt give me a clue..and ideas?
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If you're subbed, you can definitely get T4 powers provided that you're using a freeform char upon reaching level 35 and have completed VB apoc. I have no idea if AT's can get them since I've never played any AT's before.

As for the Of Secrets and Serum mission, make sure you're within or near the mission marker (look at your mini map) when you're searching for the escorts. If someone else has just defeated them recently you may have to wait a while for them to appear. If you're looking for an Ulfhednar instead, make sure you find one that's within the mission area marker.
    edited December 2012
    The tier 4 powers need a freeform (either by subbing/getting lifetime or getting a freeform slot) as ATs cant choose powers and none of the tier 4s are used on ATs.

Mostly though they are nothing special. I dont use any of them.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The tier 4 powers need a freeform (either by subbing/getting lifetime or getting a freeform slot) as ATs cant choose powers and none of the tier 4s are used on ATs.

Mostly though they are nothing special. I dont use any of them.

Planar Fracture on Radiant...

...if that even counts as a usable Tier 4 =P
  • andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What is Tier 4 powers btw?
    Is that the one to get at least 10 powers from the same framework?
    What is the advantage of it?
  • kingofflamekingofflame Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    someone i need new exe for patch help me plz
    edited December 2012
    Tier 4 powers were added with vibora bay, you used to need 10 powers in a set to unlock them but they removed that restriction later.

Heres a link to the wiki detailing the 6 tier 4 powers :

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Tier_4_Powers
    edited December 2012
    So I have been 40 for a week now and..well..wtf IS there to do at 40?

Alerts for resources and Q..ok, till I am capped for teh daily Q

Have joined Unity and been doing teh Hotspot missions, but they are so buggy (only managed to finish 2 of 7 attempts, since the submissions keep having no location). Then there us the insane cost of the items from Unity merits.

Nemesis Missions. I was actually keen to do there...but MY nemesis clue is still bugged after about 3 weeks, so I cant do them. Actually, I did get a clue today, from the Nemesis Alert, but it was another persons clue (no idea how that works) so I couldnt open it anyway!

Elemental Path and Unity 2 missions. God theres were a ****ing effort to even start. The game in no way at ALL makes it obvious what is even required to unlock it, and just seems to assume I will have done every other mission in the game. Just doing the missions needed was so long and painful, and it seemed even odd mission was buggy, confusing, stupid, or just..unfun.

SO this leaves..what? Making a new toon? Is there raelly no end game at all? Even something like the equivilent of Paper missions in cox? Wgere you could just go to the high lvl zones and mindlessly beat up a boss (and I mean..a fun mission, not the stupid lvl 40 arcs in Lemuria I found..that want me to go collect 20 bits of coral..so fun).
    edited December 2012
    So I have been 40 for a week now and..well..wtf IS there to do at 40?

Alerts for resources and Q..ok, till I am capped for teh daily Q

Have joined Unity and been doing teh Hotspot missions, but they are so buggy (only managed to finish 2 of 7 attempts, since the submissions keep having no location). Then there us the insane cost of the items from Unity merits.

Nemesis Missions. I was actually keen to do there...but MY nemesis clue is still bugged after about 3 weeks, so I cant do them. Actually, I did get a clue today, from the Nemesis Alert, but it was another persons clue (no idea how that works) so I couldnt open it anyway!

Elemental Path and Unity 2 missions. God theres were a ****ing effort to even start. The game in no way at ALL makes it obvious what is even required to unlock it, and just seems to assume I will have done every other mission in the game. Just doing the missions needed was so long and painful, and it seemed even odd mission was buggy, confusing, stupid, or just..unfun.

SO this leaves..what? Making a new toon? Is there raelly no end game at all? Even something like the equivilent of Paper missions in cox? Wgere you could just go to the high lvl zones and mindlessly beat up a boss (and I mean..a fun mission, not the stupid lvl 40 arcs in Lemuria I found..that want me to go collect 20 bits of coral..so fun).

One does not do Unity missions for Unity tokens. One does them for Silver Champions Recognition, which is used to buy the primary gear items from the vendor in the Ren Centre's Recognition building. If you are able to complete the daily 5 hotspot missions and the Special Assignment you get after doing the 5 hotspots, you will have 18 SC Rec. A Primary gear items costs 35, so 2 days for 1 item.

As to bugs in Unity missions; well, they were fine last time I did them, which of course doesn't mean anything. After taking the Unity missions, look in your mission journal (L, then Active iirc). You will see which zones the missions are in. Once you go to the zone, you will see a marker for the mission. If you're already doing that, and aren't seeing mission markers when you are in the correct zone, then that is not working as intended.

Willie Nelson

edited December 2012
    haleakala wrote: »
    One does not do Unity missions for Unity tokens. One does them for Silver Champions Recognition, which is used to buy the primary gear items from the vendor in the Ren Centre's Recognition building. If you are able to complete the daily 5 hotspot missions and the Special Assignment you get after doing the 5 hotspots, you will have 18 SC Rec. A Primary gear items costs 35, so 2 days for 1 item.

As to bugs in Unity missions; well, they were fine last time I did them, which of course doesn't mean anything. After taking the Unity missions, look in your mission journal (L, then Active iirc). You will see which zones the missions are in. Once you go to the zone, you will see a marker for the mission. If you're already doing that, and aren't seeing mission markers when you are in the correct zone, then that is not working as intended.

Yeah that is what happened :( Some of the submissions in the Hotspot HAD a location listed, and when I zoned there, I'd get a mission marker...but soo many more just had no location listed, so I couldnt finish them. Very annoying.

Thank you for the clarification about what the Unity stuff gives..makes sense. I was wondering why I am getting more Silver Champ tokens. Is the gear you get with them good? Seems when I were having a quick look, it wasnt even close to what I have (which is just Arc rewards with some lvl 2-5 mods in it).
    edited December 2012
    Missions in lemuria have no marker locations (none of them unity or otherwise) never had any issue with any others though.

Silver champs primaries are second best in game (best being legion gear from takofanes cache) They all have 3 slots. Dropped gear may look better as the slots may have mods in them, but with mods heroic gear is better than anything you can get from a drop.

Other things to do at 40 are missions in lemuria, moster island and vibora you may not have done (some are go kill or go collect - as is the case in any game, but there are some good ones as well).

There are also high end lairs you can do such as nemcom, andrith ruins, mandragalore and therakiels temple. There are others you can have fun with on higher setings or trying to solo such as buriel butte, teleiosis tower, vipers nest, moreus lab etc
    There are also the 5 adventure packs/comic series that adjust to your lvl.

What problem are you having with nemesis - you mean a clue isnt dropping or one you have wont start a mission? (if the former collect the power boost orbs - they have a chance to spawn an attack, if the latter its from someone elses nemesis and wont work so destroy it).
    edited December 2012
    AH ha, thanks for the gear update. Makes sense hearing it has 3 Mod slots. Just a quick clarification, assuming I got some of said gear, its better to slot it with mods boosting my superstats correct?

I did Nemcon..that was pretty cool!

With nems, the clue just wont drop. They are spawning fine (from teh chairs behind unity) just NEVER dropping clues. Usually just dropping lockboxes.
    edited December 2012
    If they arent dropping clues double check you dont have an item somewhere (in a bag, bank, shared bank, or active nemesis mission you havent finished) Delete any you have from someone elses nemesis as well from an alert.

You cant get another while you have one in any way or shape. Not all are called nemesis clues, every so often youll get a special one like a micro chip etc.

Statswise for mods it depends what you most need, but super stats always help.
    edited December 2012
    Looking more at teh SIlver Gear.
    Say from Primary Defence (I am the Unleashed AT)

Is it better to get the pure +def one? A Mix? Is Dodge chance better to get the Avoid? Seems like it would be? Also..why does it say like +132 Dodge..when it wont BE 132?

And then..those take 3 mods? So use ones for my super stats or perhaps to increase whatever stats the main thing is?
    edited December 2012
    Looking more at teh SIlver Gear.
    Say from Primary Defence (I am the Unleashed AT)

Is it better to get the pure +def one? A Mix? Is Dodge chance better to get the Avoid? Seems like it would be? Also..why does it say like +132 Dodge..when it wont BE 132?

And then..those take 3 mods? So use ones for my super stats or perhaps to increase whatever stats the main thing is?

Many games use obfuscation systems in gear numbers. It's done to make the differences between gear look better than it really is. CO is no exception. There are spreadsheets that convert the dodge (and other) ratings into the actual numbers, complete with (for most of these numbers) diminishing returns.

I'd take the +Avoidance Primary Defense over the +Defense or the +Dodge ones. The Unleashed has Bountiful Chi Resurgence. The Resurgent Reiki advantage procs an additional heal when you dodge. You want to dodge, but dodge and low avoidance is not all that helpful. Avoidance mods are very rare, whereas Gambler's Gems with +Dodge are much less so. Throwing a Gambler's Gem into the Avoidance Primary will up your dodge, give you good avoidance, and you will proc the Resurgent Reiki heal when you dodge (assuming you remember to use BCR).

Willie Nelson

edited December 2012
    In regard to the travel powers from vendors..(ie, the ooze tunneling and bat flight) I am assuming they are only unlocks for THAT character? So I couldnt get them on one, then have access to them on a new guy?

Oh and..just was looking at a few general guides, and then are talking about having NINE gear slots? Like..Primary offense, then TWO secondary offence? But..I only have 1 prim and 1 sec? Is that for gold/freeforms only?

Edit..nevermind the 2nd bit..some guy in game just said that was old info, only One secondary slot now..phew!
    edited December 2012
    Any costumes/travel powers from recognition are unlocked for the account, so yes you can get them with recognition from 1 character and use them with any character on the same account.

A few costume parts are bugged and only unlock for the character though (cant recall exact ones but a few demon parts is all)
    edited December 2012
    Next question..

At the moment, when attacking, I having been leading with Storm's Harvest for the disorient, then going to maintaning EotS, and then using Dragon's Wrath for the Rush buff.

After EotS comes off (I can clearly SEE the damage tics from teh power) I will activate DW on full charge and see..nothing. No damage numbers appearing over someones head. Nothing at all. Then, I use it again right away, full charge and..nothing. It is not until the THIRD use, that I actually see a damage number show up.

Now, I did think that might just have been server laggy during a big fight with a ton of numbers flying about. SO I tested it vs a single guy. And sure enough..the first 1 or 2 times I use DW...does 100% NO damage. Note, the rush buff is applying..so teh power is hitting.

Is this right? I have to use the power twice for some silly reason?
    edited December 2012
    Next question..

At the moment, when attacking, I having been leading with Storm's Harvest for the disorient, then going to maintaning EotS, and then using Dragon's Wrath for the Rush buff.

After EotS comes off (I can clearly SEE the damage tics from teh power) I will activate DW on full charge and see..nothing. No damage numbers appearing over someones head. Nothing at all. Then, I use it again right away, full charge and..nothing. It is not until the THIRD use, that I actually see a damage number show up.

Now, I did think that might just have been server laggy during a big fight with a ton of numbers flying about. SO I tested it vs a single guy. And sure enough..the first 1 or 2 times I use DW...does 100% NO damage. Note, the rush buff is applying..so teh power is hitting.

Is this right? I have to use the power twice for some silly reason?

I've never seen this issue, and I have used Dragon's Wrath, with it doing damage every time whether tapped or charged. Is the target's health bar going down? Are the damage numbers for each hit showing in the combat log?

Willie Nelson

edited January 2013
    The damage numbers dont show, and the target doesnt lose ANY health at all. Tested it quite a few times.
    I have to use DW at least once before it starts doing anything, besides the Rush buff.
    edited January 2013
    The damage numbers dont show, and the target doesnt lose ANY health at all. Tested it quite a few times.
    I have to use DW at least once before it starts doing anything, besides the Rush buff.

I just tested this on live in the Power House, and DW was hitting, proccing damage numbers and lower health bars on every hit. I tried making an Unleashed (the first test was on freeform) on the public test server, auto-leveled to 40 to get DW and tried it. It was also producing damage and damage numbers on every hit. In other words, I cannot reproduce this effect. I used the rotation you described, no joy. I tried different combinations of advantages (Tiger's Courage alone, R2 plus TC, and R2 + R3). Might be a bug, but the only condition in your description I will not reproduce is having a level 40 Unleashed on the live server. I'm not that dedicated.

Might be a bug on live, or user error, no way for me to tell, sorry.

Willie Nelson

edited January 2013
    Oh Id never demand you to make one on Live! lol.

Nice of you to test it on Beta though.

It is really odd. As I said, if it was just happening in a big 5 player alert brawl, I'd put it down to lag...but it happens EVERY time I use other attacks, and then use DW. Every single time! Even attacking a single bad guy, it does it. Really not fun, having to use the power twice for damage.