test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chat Ban King!

xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Yup, once again, I am chat banned for fighting a troll. Not even in all caps this time. 5th time now I think? I need to get some kind of award for this.
Post edited by xcaligax on

Comments

• Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Bridge Defender - 10 points
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sadly the other participant was not silenced
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We all know you love the attention. Every diva secretly loves their haters.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well unfortunately it does hinder me when I'm trying to run a CC. It just irks me slightly that I got muted, and the troll is still calling all of zone chat vulgar names. =_=
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well you could make a second account, and only use it for announcing costume contests... that way you can go all buck wild on caliga and get banned all day every day, but still have your "CC crier" for official business. Just a thought.

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    THE SILENCE OF A KING!!!

youdon'tseethis
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    *complimentary sympathy back pat*

*Notions to the rest of the forum to write PWE*
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    Well you could make a second account, and only use it for announcing costume contests... that way you can go all buck wild on caliga and get banned all day every day, but still have your "CC crier" for official business. Just a thought.

To be fair Caliga only ever does reply to Lee Tosi and the stuff they say is hardly ban worthy and is always amusing.

No what happens here is people annoyed that their WTS cosmic keys spam is being overshadowed by two players that just happen to add a little thing called FUN into the game.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Anti-fun mechanism is working as intended obviously.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    PWE and Cryptic just insist the system is "working as intended". We'll never see a change. It's disheartening.
  • Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Wow I ninja'd with functionally the same quote. :tongue:
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    THE SILENCE OF A KING!!!

youdon'tseethis

You win a pair of Caliga's (slightly soiled) underpants:eek:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    xgcoxgco Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Just to clarify: Is chat ban the same as ignore? Because I've ignored people before and now I'm thinking I might have over reacted. I always feel sad when I discover that someone ignored me, it's like what did I do to deserve that?
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    xgco wrote: »
    Just to clarify: Is chat ban the same as ignore? Because I've ignored people before and now I'm thinking I might have over reacted. I always feel sad when I discover that someone ignored me, it's like what did I do to deserve that?

Sadly, Cryptic in their infinite wisdom made it so whenever you get /ignored or /ReportForSpam, you get a counter on your account.

Once your counter hits X, you get chat banned for 24 hours.

Said counter NEVER resets. And word on the forums is that someone can /ignore you multiple times until you get banned.

Oh, and does this sound just wrong? Sorry, "Working as designed." from Cryptic's mouths.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    Sadly, Cryptic in their infinite wisdom made it so whenever you get /ignored or /ReportForSpam, you get a counter on your account.

Said counter NEVER resets. And word on the forums is that someone can /ignore you multiple times until you get banned.

Oh, and does this sound just wrong? Sorry, "Working as designed." from Cryptic's mouths.

The counter never resets? I am surprised I haven't been chat banned more XD
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I know two people that tested that in game. They kept ingoring each other and then taking each other off to ignore again and it doesn't work. You have to keep them on ignore for it to count towards being silenced. I think that ince they've been silenced you can take them off and redo it though.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Yup, once again, I am chat banned for fighting a troll. Not even in all caps this time. 5th time now I think? I need to get some kind of award for this.

The Taylor Swift of zone chat...
    edited December 2012
    PWE and Cryptic just insist the system is "working as intended". We'll never see a change. It's disheartening.
    We'll never see change if we simply do nothing, that's for sure.

voos2b.jpg
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm confused. I came in here to talk about Chat Banking!!!!

:tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited December 2012

You get a demerit for being placed on ignore by another user. You get more demerits for being reported as a spammer from what we've been told. Its' mooted about that it takes approximately 20 you-have-been-placed-on-ignore demerits before the server chat bans your account.

I've not seen anyone remark on how many demerits being reported as a spammer gives you; I suspect it gives you between five and eight demerits though I am quite likely wrong about this as its' not like I have access to the server code to check, ya know? :biggrin:
    Said counter NEVER resets.

It resets when you've been chat banned. I suspect it resets over server maintenance, though I have little evidence to support that suspicion. I believe that a chat ban persists over server maintenance, though I also believe that the server downtime is counted as time-served for the chat ban as well.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Wow really? I know I can be a pain but there are some people who have just ignored me outright..like the time Mentella won a CC against this other character he got his entire SG to ignore and report me resulting in a costume reset :mad: AND chat ban.

So yeah I hate it when people play the anti fun card.

Lee Tosi, Caliga etc make Zone worth listening too!

It always makes me laugh when someone asks why we are all picking on Lee XD
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    You get a demerit for being placed on ignore by another user. You get more demerits for being reported as a spammer from what we've been told. Its' mooted about that it takes approximately 20 you-have-been-placed-on-ignore demerits before the server chat bans your account.

I've not seen anyone remark on how many demerits being reported as a spammer gives you; I suspect it gives you between five and eight demerits though I am quite likely wrong about this as its' not like I have access to the server code to check, ya know? :biggrin:

It resets when you've been chat banned. I suspect it resets over server maintenance, though I have little evidence to support that suspicion. I believe that a chat ban persists over server maintenance, though I also believe that the server downtime is counted as time-served for the chat ban as well.

That's it? Only 20? Such a low number for me.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This really seems like a horrible system. Maybe I just don't like someone and don't want to hear from them. That doesn't mean they did anything BAD.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My commiserations, Mr C. That girl you were arguing with is crazy as a loon, if it's the one I'm thinking of whose name starts with D.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    wacky99 wrote: »
    My commiserations, Mr C. That girl you were arguing with is crazy as a loon, if it's the one I'm thinking of whose name starts with D.

It was. She's probably still out there telling all of CO how to play the game :rolleyes:.

YOUR COMMISERATION IS NOTED! CALIGA THANKS YOU WITH STAMP OF APPROVAL!

SandalofCaligula.png
  • Options
    mainscrizzmainscrizz Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It was. She's probably still out there telling all of CO how to play the game :rolleyes:.

YOUR COMMISERATION IS NOTED! CALIGA THANKS YOU WITH STAMP OF APPROVAL!

SandalofCaligula.png

lol I too was chat banned while being on the receiving end of a nasty troll....

double victim FTW!!! :rolleyes:
    edited December 2012
    I only occasionally use zone chat. Usually to answer what seem to be legitimate questions.

The trolls I usually just ignore. And by that I mean use the ignore function.

These trolls have nothing to offer and I am not interested in giving them any entertainment at all.
    If there is nothing to do in the game that is more fun than arguing with a troll, no one in chat that would make better conversation, then it's time for me to do something else.

I know that the system is flawed, but it's their system and they aren't changing it. Their concept is a self-policing community, but the reality is that it's mob rules, and the mobs don't have to be very large to have an impact.

But it goes both ways.
    I do not think that a troll clogging up the chat window makes for a very appealing atmosphere.

Ignore them, shut them up, and the game becomes a more hospitable place for the people that actually want to be here.
    If someone was just having a bad day then they can get over it. If they come back and post the same belligerent crap that they had posted before, then they can get silenced again and eventually, just maybe, they will decide to take their trolling elsewhere and leave the rest of us in peace.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Zone? Local? Powerhouse?
    If some village idiot is spewing into it with strings of nonsense its likely going
    to be the OP, talking about himself, his imaginary self, most of the time.
    Not just talking but spamming.

Stop crying about exactly what you deserve.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Zone? Local? Powerhouse?
    If some village idiot is spewing into it with strings of nonsense its likely going

THIS is why the chatban system needs to disappear and why I can't wait for the restoration of the ability to ignore people on the forums. Both can't happen soon enough.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Zone? Local? Powerhouse?

My legend grows!!! Victory for Caliga!!! EM-SandalofCaligula.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    My legend grows!!! Victory for Caliga!!! EM-SandalofCaligula.gif

icon14.gif
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    While I certainly agree that the current "system" is unfair, I wonder when YOU are going to learn?

Learn when to pick your battles. What to say. How to say it. Etc. Obviously, there are those that find your form of RP "ignorable."

So, you have a choice. Continue doing "it" the same old way AND eventually earning your chat ban. Or figure out a way to RP that doesn't make you "ignorable."

I'll say it one other way. A definition of INSANITY is doing the SAME THING but expecting different results.

Please understand. I have sympathy for your situation, but only up to a point.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Wut?

I've never been chat banned so....where's my crown? :confused: (probably in a lockbox :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This was my devious plan aiming to remove Caliga's mouth.

Besides, people prefere demonic lesbian succubi over highly disturbed and egocentric kings!

• Options
    edited December 2012
    warcanch wrote: »
    While I certainly agree that the current "system" is unfair, I wonder when YOU are going to learn?

Learn when to pick your battles. What to say. How to say it. Etc. Obviously, there are those that find your form of RP "ignorable."

So, you have a choice. Continue doing "it" the same old way AND eventually earning your chat ban. Or figure out a way to RP that doesn't make you "ignorable."

I'll say it one other way. A definition of INSANITY is doing the SAME THING but expecting different results.

Please understand. I have sympathy for your situation, but only up to a point.

And the terrorists win.

• Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Zone? Local? Powerhouse?

Role-playing is a popular play style in this game. If he is following the rules, tell us, what gives you or anyone else the right to take that away from him?

Albeit, in this instance, he was fighting a troll which I assume was in zone (a.k.a arguing on the internet). Perhaps a battle via PMs would have prevented the chat ban in the first place? Maybe.

Regardless of what Caliga could or could not have done, this system is readily available for people such as yourself, who believe it's OK to limit another person's game experience for whatever reason they deem fit. If that's kosher with you, then there's something wrong with you.

voos2b.jpg
  • Options
    ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Zone? Local? Powerhouse?

Village idiot? More like Village hero, he's had enough costume contests and given out enough community rewards to fill an entire character bank and then some. What have you done for the community lately? You should keep the idiot defined to yourself. Or maybe we should prove how broken the system is by chat banning you to compensate for cryptics lack of foresight on the matter.

I've seen both Lee Tosi and Caliga throwing around stories in zone, and out of the two, I've only been annoyed purple by Lee. And out of the two of them, I've only ever ignored people that spam 7 lines of

WTT PURPLE BACKUP PM PLS

Get off your horse.

Oh and if it hasn't become apparent I bite.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well this was fun!

Until next time! Same Hawk Time, Same Hawk Channel!
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.