test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power Ring User Build

warbound72488warbound72488 Posts: 10 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Power Discussion
Ok, so I am a fan of the Green Lantern. Both Conceptually and thematically.

That said, I was trying to roll a character that could use light constructs and what have you as attacks and I came to realize that you could do just about anything you wanted with that.

Even weapon attacks Like Gatling Gun or The Heavy weapons would work. (Even Chainsaw Gauntlet. Hrm.)

So, I'm just too overwhelmed with CO's system and, in turn, all my choices here.

Currently I'm using mostly Telekinesis powers but it seems a bit bland. Anyone out there have a Green Lantern/Power Ring user-type character? If so, what thoughts/insights can you offer to someone? I was hoping to do ranged damage, but I suppose a hybrid Ranged/melee type character would give me even MORE options. Again, any thoughts?
Post edited by warbound72488 on

Comments

• braxzanabraxzana Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Shouldn't be hard to find several builds scattered around --- you're not alone in your love of Green Lantern. :)

True, Telekinetics offers a lot of great choices of "constructs" but you can also use other powers (as you note). One reason I'm less inclined to use, say, Mini-gun is that powers like that don't tend to look like "constructs" to me. The Force powerset has a lot of "construct" like powers (mainly bubbles of course) as does the Infernal set (mainly flaming chains)...

My original "Green Lantern" concept character (Cobalt, using blue colors) mutated though several iterations as I peeled off powers for other characters and did not want to duplicate powers, so she ended up using the new Power Armor laser-sword powers --- the "sword" being pretty much her only "construct" aside from her Personal Force Field (which is not really ever visible).

At one time, I was using the Nightmare pet (TK, I think?) and the Collective Will "pet" and so on but I didn't like the uncontrolled nature of those powers (and other characters started using them).

One new power that I liked (but another character was using) is the new maintained power blast in the power armor set (whose name I forget). You don't even need a target for it, which is nice, but for that reason it has VERY poor vertical range ---- if your foe is on a higher plane than you, the blast just shoots out into thin air even though other attacks would shoot up or down to hit your target.

The only real "beam" attacks (aside from that new one) are Eye Beams which still suck even after their revamp recently IMO... and Concussive Beams (bolts?) which is nice LOOKING --- even though it comes from BOTH palms and not from just one, as a "power ring" might logically dictate ---- but since it's a Power Armor power, it's a toggle and I never really felt comfortable with those toggled powers (especially mixed with other non-power-armor powers).

The fire powerset also has some "constructs" like the Fire Snake if you want to color it green and go for a more Alan Scott / Earth-2 Green Lantern / Starheart kind of thing.
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    One new power that I liked (but another character was using) is the new maintained power blast in the power armor set (whose name I forget).
    It's called Plasma beam (does particle damage) and it hits for a small amount of damage every .1 secs that's point one of a sec.
    Here is a screeny (as green as I could get it)
    Plasma beam launched and running
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • warbound72488warbound72488 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I tried a few things (Chainsaw Gauntlet isn't Recolorable :( Sadly) and, being sadly inefficient at building (I'm a CoH Refugee), I am not sure what I'm doing in the way of synergies and powers and whatnot. I heard Fire Snake wasn't very good. I did see some other builds around but they were from older posts and I wasn't sure if any changes might have made them less viable.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I know that you mentioned feeling that Telekinesis was a bit bland, but it can be very fun while capturing the feel of the whole energy construct vibe.

Telekinetic Lance involves forming a lance out of energy and then throwing it at your target.

Telekinetic Assault involves projecting a sequence of energy blades at your target.

Add in some ego blades powers and a passive and toggle and you are set.

Hmm:

Ego Primary SS
    Dex and Int as secondary SS.

(or Dex primary and Int/Ego secondary if you prefer)

Ego Form (or Aura of Primal Majesty)
    Mental Discipline
    TK Lance
    TK Assault
    Ego Weaponry w/siphoning strikes advantage
    Ego Blade Frenzy
    Lunge of Your choice
    TK reverberation or Molecular Self Assembly
    Conviction
    Masterful Dodge

+ Other powers of your choice.

Just the listed power set up will handle pretty much anything in game up to and including elite content without much difficulty. The unused power slots are gravy.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'd also suggest Ball Lightning, Summon Nightmare, and Wall of Ice or Ice Burst, (colored to w/e hue you're using) could work too.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    One other thing you could do for a bit more flavour is change costume e.g. In JLA Witchblade GL wore a Power Armor overlay to deal with Witchblade/Wonder Woman.
    Not quite sure of the Keybind I think it goes something like this...
    /bind anykey setactivecostume 0
    or setactivecostume 1
    and so on.
    a quite complicated in places thread about keybinds
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • hitmousehitmouse Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I asked pretty much the same question recently.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=196401

I got some good responses. The build Cyrone posted is melee focused, but quite fun and effective.
  • hitmousehitmouse Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    TK and force provide the best looking options imo. I fooled around with heavy weapons, munitions and such, but (sadly) there are no tansparent options for normal weapons.

Pyromancers blades might be an option.
    edited December 2012
    Ok, based on the suggestions made here, I threw this together. Before telling me how awful it is (And, I expect, it is) I just want you to know that I haven't been playing very long and this is the first Free Form Build I've tried to put together. Any feedback is appreciated! Also, the powers aren't chosen in any particular order and I wasn't sure what advantages to take, so I left a lot of points out of confusion.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Guardian

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Marksman
    Level 6: Indomitable
    Level 9: Agile
    Level 12: Brilliant
    Level 15: Shooter
    Level 18: Academics
    Level 21: Coordinated

Powers:
    Level 1: Psi Lash
    Level 1: Telekinetic Assault (Rank 2, Explosive Potential)
    Level 6: Ego Form (Rank 2, Rank 3, Id Blades)
    Level 8: Telekinetic Burst
    Level 11: Ego Weaponry (Siphoning Strikes)
    Level 14: Ego Blade Frenzy
    Level 17: Telekinetic Lance
    Level 20: Ego Reverberation
    Level 23: Ego Blade Dash
    Level 26: Concentration
    Level 29: Ego Surge
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge
    Level 35: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Fire Flight
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Can't Touch This (3/3)
    Avenger: Surprise Attack (2/2)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)
    edited December 2012
    Ok, based on the suggestions made here, I threw this together. Before telling me how awful it is (And, I expect, it is) I just want you to know that I haven't been playing very long and this is the first Free Form Build I've tried to put together. Any feedback is appreciated! Also, the powers aren't chosen in any particular order and I wasn't sure what advantages to take, so I left a lot of points out of confusion.

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 8: Telekinetic Burst
    Level 11: Ego Weaponry (Siphoning Strikes)
    Level 14: Ego Blade Frenzy
    Level 17: Telekinetic Lance
    Level 26: Concentration
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge

Travel Powers:
    Level 35:

Specializations:

You have a very solid set up there.

Some suggestions:

The Sudden Impact advantage on TK Burst is awesome (IMO). An AoE knockdown is a great way of reducing incoming damage for a character with an offensive passive.

Take Ego Blade Frenzy to Rank 3. It is a bread and butter trash mob clearing power. You will be amazed at how quickly it tears through things.

For TK Lance you have a couple of options. If you take it to R3 its damage is at its best. If instead you take the ID Infusion advantage it acts as a self buff for your other Ego Damage powers (TK Assault and EB Frenzy). Either approach is perfectly viable.

If you are taking EB Frenzy you might find that ranking TK Assault to R3 instead of taking Explosive Potential wil provide you with more utility. A single target maintain (TK Assault), an AoE (EB Frenzy), and a Spike Power (TK Lance) cover pretty much everything int he game.

Mental Discipline is a multiplicative buff rather than the additive buff of Concentration. On a character using an offensive passive (where you are already pushing your additive buffs well into the diminishing returns range) Mental Discipline will generally be superior for damage output.

edited December 2012
    I don't know the specializations well enough by name to comment on them, but otherwise it looks okay. Couple things to keep in mind: the energy-unlock for ego-blades and for ranged-ego-attacks is slightly different, I think although if you're mixing ranged and melee it should not matter a whole lot.

This IS a melee / ranged build, so if you're not fond of that, you might need to pick one or the other. Melee is easy, since the Ego Blades have a nice variety of powers and you can make a nice complete build with just them and some extras.

For ranged, you can still make a solid build with the TK ranged powers (except Telekinesis - unless you want it for thematic reasons)... but the slotted passive is slightly different (does not boost melee as much, but provides more defense or something)... and there's a different energy unlock.

Also, if you go ranged and need more powers to fill the ranks, as mentioned above, Pyromancer's blades are a nice energy construct look (and can be colored) as well as Nightmare and other such powers (they ARE uncontrolled, usually, though, which can be annoying).

Oh! Telekinetic Maelstrom, I think (maybe Expulsion?) has an advantage that extends the duration that you are in a translucent energy form state after charging the PBAOE 'explosion' more than a second or so ---- you can fire that power off out of combat, get put into the translucent state (which boosts your damage AND defense) and with that advantage you've got like a minute and a half or so looking like that (and being buffed like that).... bear in mind, that attack WILL knockback foes close to you if there are any, which is usually not advisable. But for the look and the damage-boosted-state before combat, it's great. :)
    edited December 2012
    Ok, how's this look?

Most of the suggested builds my friends in-game have been helping me with have like 3 attack powers and a bunch of Buffs and whatnot, and it feels boring. This feels much more fun and variable already :)

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 8: Telekinetic Burst (Rank 2, Sudden Impact)
    Level 11: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Siphoning Strikes)
    Level 14: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Telekinetic Lance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Mental Discipline (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    edited December 2012
    Ok, how's this look?

Most of the suggested builds my friends in-game have been helping me with have like 3 attack powers and a bunch of Buffs and whatnot, and it feels boring. This feels much more fun and variable already :)

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 8: Telekinetic Burst (Rank 2, Sudden Impact)
    Level 11: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Siphoning Strikes)
    Level 14: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Telekinetic Lance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Mental Discipline (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35:

Specializations:

If it were me I would leave Masterful Dodge at R1 and take the Nimble Mind advantage for Ego Surge instead. Other than that I would play and enjoy your build immensely.

edited December 2012
    Wow, really? Awesome! So I didn't take too many attacks and not enough buffs?
    edited December 2012
    Wow, really? Awesome! So I didn't take too many attacks and not enough buffs?

Your character will do very good damage, have decent survivability, and should be actively fun to play. I think you have an excellent balance between theme and effectiveness.

• fr0gurtfr0gurt Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My only question is why Psi Lash (from Telepathy) as your energy builder instead of Kinetic Darts or Ego Blade (from Telekinesis)? Otherwise it's a solid build that covers all the bases.
    edited December 2012
    fr0gurt wrote: »
    My only question is why Psi Lash (from Telepathy) as your energy builder instead of Kinetic Darts or Ego Blade (from Telekinesis)? Otherwise it's a solid build that covers all the bases.

I assumed it was a visual preference (though its been long enough since I used an energy builder that I am not sure that I remember the visual differences between Psi Lash and Kinetic Darts.

edited December 2012
    Psi Lash looks a LOT better than Kinetic Darts, IMO ---- you hold out one hand imperiously and a wave of energy snakes out to hit the foe, instead of the pew pew pew fist pumping that you do with most energy builders (like Kinetic Darts).

Since you DO have ranged attacks, it's not that vital, but I would be tempted to get Nailed to the Ground advantage on your lunge --- your Siphoning Strikes will go a long way toward helping your survivability and you can't use that unless the foe is in melee range. Of course, you COULD just fly up, too. :)

VERY solid build, IMO.
    edited December 2012
    Psi Lash is purely cosmetic, correct. If you set emanation point to fist, it's VERY Power ring-esque :)