test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tanker Tuesday Pounds its way into CO!

hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Okay!

For those of you who aren't aware, the longest-running event in City of Heroes was a player-run event known as Tanker Tuesday.

Essentially it was all-tank superteams running any and everything in-game.

It started, funnily enough, on the Champion server in CoH and has run, non-stop, since inception. First Tuesday of every month.

Additionally, about 3-1/2 years ago, it began touring the rest of the servers. With the second Tuesday being the Justice Server, the third rotating between Freedom and Virtue (the two highest population servers) with fourth (and the occasional fifth) farming out amongst the rest.

Additionally, once the European servers were merged into the main server list, one or two Saturdays became Tanker Tuesday International Tours.

Now, a couple years later, CoH is no more.

Yet where do a bunch of people go when they want company beating villains' faces in?

That's right! Tanker Tuesday has come to Champions Online!

Strictly speaking, due to the differences in how CO plays, there's no single "tank" class. As such, this opens up the field to a broader range of players and TT is open to all those who wish to team on a regularly scheduled basis.

Our first event was held last night. And, considering how close to the closure of CoH it was, we had an excellent night! We had roughly 20-25 players show up and team.

http://tankertuesday.com/tt/nggallery/screenshots/championsonline-inaguralevent/

This will be happening every Tuesday night.
  • 9PM Eastern
  • 8PM Central
  • 7PM Mountain
  • 6PM Pacific

The meeting place is the Millennium City PowerHouse Theater (for now, until we can come up with a better location).

For those needing a SuperGroup, the Tank HQ group is accepting all-comers.

The TankHQ chat channel is open to all participants.

And more information can be found in the following locations:

http://www.tankertuesday.com

The Tanker Tuesday Google+ Site.

The Tanker Tuesday Facebook Site.

The Tanker Tuesday (TankerTues) Steam Group.
Post edited by hyperstrikecoh on

Comments

• Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Very sweet!

I have guild plans tomorrow night, but I'll pencil in a few tries on later dates if you'll have me on an alt or two, just for fun!
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm a tank. Sure. Why not. I love to carry people through stuff. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, anything that can get the community involved with player run events that are more than a Costume Contest or Role Playing, is welcome in my book.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I'm a tank. Sure. Why not. I love to carry people through stuff. :rolleyes:

Honestly, even in CoH it wasn't like that. Everyone participates.

Take my team for example. Level range 18-25. Not a lot of carrying there.

The team captain merely needs to pick something level-appropriate.
    In all seriousness, anything that can get the community involved with player run events that are more than a Costume Contest or Role Playing, is welcome in my book.

A-freakin'-MEN!
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I never participated in these over at CoH...but player-ran events like these will be nothing but good for CO.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Nice to see some action over here on CO.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Reminder to self: Not Serpent Lantern.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Yeah. It was a bit painful. Especially with most of us on the team being COMPLETELY new to Serpent Lantern and fairly "newb" to the game. So yeah, deathfest.

But hey, you don't learn if you don't do...
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Honestly, even in CoH it wasn't like that. Everyone participates.

Take my team for example. Level range 18-25. Not a lot of carrying there.

A-freakin'-MEN!

{ I must take yew aside and explain some things. Caliga is what we call " a bit different" any team he is on he in his own mind "he will be carrying" Hope this clears some stuff up for yew =^.^= }

Random forum RP aside XD

Tanker Tuesday Ive heard about that and it sounds like great fun ima penciling it in on my To-Do list.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I can see a comic series being close to Quaterfield.

Judging by my few times going solo on normal difficulty for Serpent Lantern it didn't seem that bad of a progress rate, what with all the villain+ and enforcer mobs. It could do with one less generator or one less camp per generator for sure though.

I cannot say how much I absolutely do not miss the "you are too far from your mentor" days of sidekicking. At least have it turn back on automatically when you get back in range.

While SL may not have been the best choice, for a first experience of team play in CO I'd rate the first Tanker Tuesday a success. I had a blast. Even with the faceplanting.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    ringwashereringwashere Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Had a lot of fun, and now I have an excuse to retcon Ring who, until lately, has been raising dust bunnies in a van down by the river!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    squeeepsqueeep Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Pound your chests and take turns snacking on Brickbusters!
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    { I must take yew aside and explain some things. Caliga is what we call " a bit different" any team he is on he in his own mind "he will be carrying" Hope this clears some stuff up for yew =^.^= }

Random forum RP aside XD

Tanker Tuesday Ive heard about that and it sounds like great fun ima penciling it in on my To-Do list.

{ I too must take yew aside for a moment. Nepth is a "bit different". She think's that I think that I carry people, but actually, I am insane, hope this clears some stuff up for yew =^.^= }

Also 9 pm Tuesdays? You should check to make sure it doesnt interfere with the costume contests being ran around, near, or at that time slot.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Kudos and congrats for this.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    { I too must take yew aside for a moment. Nepth is a "bit different". She think's that I think that I carry people, but actually, I am insane, hope this clears some stuff up for yew =^.^= }

Also 9 pm Tuesdays? You should check to make sure it doesnt interfere with the costume contests being ran around, near, or at that time slot.

{ I think yew will yewr not as insane as me I actually think CO is well made and the greatest of all mmos EVAR >:C }
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not in my timeframe, but kudos and much support for it!
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Tanking you say?

I'm sure I could find some time...I got a hybrid tank that, although isn't quite dedicated to tanking, does a damn good job at it most of the time.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Since my timezone is 12 hours away from standard Eastern time and I work on weekdays, it doesn't seem that I'm able to participate. I think it's a neat idea though since it's about community cohesiveness. Cheers to the OP for spending the time and effort to organize it.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    nepht wrote: »

Ah. Uphill? Both ways?
    Random forum RP aside XD

Welcome to the madhouse.

The first rule of Tanker Tuesday. Go ahead and talk about Tanker Tuesday.
    Second rul of Tanker Tuesday. Follow the tank!
    Third rule of Tanker Tuesday. It's all Rangle's fault (in-joke).
    The fourth rule of Tanker Tuesday. Witty always dies first (in joke).
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    but actually, I am insane, hope this clears some stuff up for yew =^.^= }

Dude! You'll fit right in!

Honestly. If there are CCs during that time, we're sorry. But that's essentially prime-time for TT.

It's about as late as we wanna get for east coasters and about as early as we can get for west coasters. So there really isn't a hell of a lot of flex room in there.

And running it on another day and calling it "Tanker Tuesday" is kinda a no-go.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Tanking you say?

I'm sure I could find some time...I got a hybrid tank that, although isn't quite dedicated to tanking, does a damn good job at it most of the time.

Hey. Overwhelming damage is sometimes a defense in and of itself.
    CoH example: Fire Tanks. By far NOT the most durable tanks out there. But with enough raw damage output that it doesn't really matter. Since enemies are all DEAD (errr...ARRESTED...with...fire...) before they can do enough damage to hurt you.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Since my timezone is 12 hours away from standard Eastern time and I work on weekdays, it doesn't seem that I'm able to participate. I think it's a neat idea though since it's about community cohesiveness. Cheers to the OP for spending the time and effort to organize it.

Jenny. Give us some time to get the main event stabilized over here. Most of us are either new to CO or haven't played since release. So we're trying to figure out both the event and how to actually play at about the same time...

Once we're a bit more stable (or about as stable as we ever get *FROTH*) we'll look to see if there's room for a weekend Tanker Tour for players outside the US time zones.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I may show up once I get the hang of this game (only current tank is The Morrigan, but who knows once I get Gold going). I attended a couple of these a long time ago, IIRC, and it was great fun.

Sounds like CO doesn't have as active a player event group going as CoX. Maybe that's something the "Refugees" can bring to the table.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I may show up once I get the hang of this game (only current tank is The Morrigan, but who knows once I get Gold going). I attended a couple of these a long time ago, IIRC, and it was great fun.

Sounds like CO doesn't have as active a player event group going as CoX. Maybe that's something the "Refugees" can bring to the table.

The only widely known and oft-occuring player organized events we have going on are the Costume Contests. These have done a lot of good for the social aspect of the game. The Tanker Tuesday idea would make a great addition to the community and hopefully have a similar effect.

In other words: I'm in.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I will be there if I can figure at what time to show up hehe... please post time in Server Time for us stupid poeple hehe. Hope there's a Cosmic up at said time other than Mega D. What about Gravitar? What about Zombie Apocalypse? Can we do those too? Those are a blast...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted
    shieldtower says there is only the one:

The only widely known and oft-occuring player organized events we have going on are the Costume Contests. These have done a lot of good for the social aspect of the game. The Tanker Tuesday idea would make a great addition to the community and hopefully have a similar effect.

In other words: I'm in.

It kind of surprised me when I read those take place in the Theater. I'd figure you'd want to be out in the open for publicity. Or did you get too many griefers or something?
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I will be there if I can figure at what time to show up hehe... please post time in Server Time for us stupid poeple hehe. Hope there's a Cosmic up at said time other than Mega D. What about Gravitar? What about Zombie Apocalypse? Can we do those too? Those are a blast...

Server Time is Pacific, and as such it would be 6pm.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Count me in (an this time I can bring a 'gun' tanker :biggrin:).
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It kind of surprised me when I read those take place in the Theater. I'd figure you'd want to be out in the open for publicity. Or did you get too many griefers or something?

They used to take place in public over by, or sometimes in, Champs HQ. There were griefers and whatnot but the biggest problem was that the number of people flocking to these events counted against the map population limit. Often times you'd hear of people being locked out of whichever instance of Millennium City the contests were taking place in.

When the Powerhouse got it's second major overhaul the Powerhouse Theater was added almost specifically so players could host events in a self-contained area.

As far as publicity goes, some players used to announce in zone chat when the contests would be held and end up drawing grief from the mongoloids and "chat purists". Some people even got chatbanned for their efforts.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks for the info!

Wouldn't think of entering until I go Gold and have access to more goodies, though...
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Tanker Tuesday sounds fun. You guys should do a Grond hunt, that way you'd be able to have every person who shows up involved.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Tanker Tuesday sounds fun. You guys should do a Grond hunt, that way you'd be able to have every person who shows up involved.

Hmm. We used to drag Paladins (giant clockwork monsters) in for group beatdowns.

The only problem is The Desert is level-locked, so lowbies would have problems.
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hmm. We used to drag Paladins (giant clockwork monsters) in for group beatdowns.

The only problem is The Desert is level-locked, so lowbies would have problems.

I think it's locked to level 15. Most should be able to hit that in 1-2 hours play time. I don't believe Sidekicking up to the appropriate level would work. But I've never tried it.
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I can see a comic series being close to Quaterfield.

Judging by my few times going solo on normal difficulty for Serpent Lantern it didn't seem that bad of a progress rate, what with all the villain+ and enforcer mobs. It could do with one less generator or one less camp per generator for sure though.

I cannot say how much I absolutely do not miss the "you are too far from your mentor" days of sidekicking. At least have it turn back on automatically when you get back in range.

While SL may not have been the best choice, for a first experience of team play in CO I'd rate the first Tanker Tuesday a success. I had a blast. Even with the faceplanting.
    heh, nah, not even close to quaterhell. really the first teaming experience I had with the coh crew was a sl, with my gadgeteer character. had a lot of fun and even going gradually 2 hours is nothing like a quaterfield. oustide of the vipera fight, its stomp, stomp and stomp. plus i teddy-beared vipey twice, highlight of my day.

sadly, due to my work schedule, I wont be making this one much. but i'm raising seraph blue (my old main heal/bufferr from coh) to be a tanker, will try them when i can.
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I was thinking earlier about how I wanted a tank. Now you've given me the perfect reason to raise one! :D Not sure how often I'll be able to show up (I go to school late -.-) but I hope this lasts so I can participate plenty!!

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    peprallypeprally Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm happy to see such a positive response to Tanker Tuesdays. :)

I had a great time actually running Whiteout(on elite) with a team for the first time last Tuesday even though we only got through parts 1 & 2 before getting stuck on the 3rd.

Not sure if it was a bug, or not, but the timers for the NPCs we were protecting did not seem to move at all, and we got absolutely swamped with enemies continuously. It actually reminded me of some of the huge fights we used to have in CoX on TT. Fun as hell, even though we called it a night before completing. Might try to finish it this week.

Back in CoX, at the beginning of TT, we'd ask folks if there was any Task Force they'd like to run, and see if there was enough interest to put a team together. After that, we'd put together general mission teams with whoever was left.

So, I thought it would be a good idea to first ask if anybody has any Lairs/missions that they came across that they'd like to complete on a team(Teleios tower, Doc Destroyer, Deaths door, etc.), then go onto the Comic Series/Adventure Packs/Gravy alerts, before putting general mission/alert teams together.

Hope to see ya all there on Tuesday, 9 pm EST, in the powerhouse theatre.

-Pep
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    peprally wrote: »
    I'm happy to see such a positive response to Tanker Tuesdays. :)

I had a great time actually running Whiteout(on elite) with a team for the first time last Tuesday even though we only got through parts 1 & 2 before getting stuck on the 3rd.

Not sure if it was a bug, or not, but the timers for the NPCs we were protecting did not seem to move at all, and we got absolutely swamped with enemies continuously. It actually reminded me of some of the huge fights we used to have in CoX on TT. Fun as hell, even though we called it a night before completing. Might try to finish it this week.
    From my experience, sometimes that first part of WO #3 can drag out. I believe it's that you have to really keep the enemy from attacking the Steelhead soldiers completely. If the foe hits them, their timers will stop. And a 5-man teamup means more foes spawn... Probably makes that tough. I'd try to split the team a bit and try to push back the foes to their spawn points to give the Steelhead soldiers some breathing room.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    maybe the arena might be a better place to meet you could lock people out of a costume contest please the chat noise will make it impossible, i think this could cause a lot of arguments, better to change the place before then
    the theatre was created for CC and people reserve those times through "contests" channel
  • Options
    peprallypeprally Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It really shouldn't be a problem since we're only there for like 15 minutes to form teams.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    you should reserve the time like everyone else 9pm on tuesday is open

contact @lectrohm in game to reserve and mark on calendar
    its also free advertisement
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Basically the location was pulled from a place both dark and poopy-smelling.

I was spitballing for a location where we wouldn't be dealing with zonewide chat and we wouldn't be stepping on each other as well.

Also, the Theater kinda stands out as being deliberately designed towards easy assembly in a way things like the various level-locked zones aren't.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks for the info!

Wouldn't think of entering until I go Gold and have access to more goodies, though...

Honestly. Even if you're not Gold, bring what you have. We'll make it work.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    jasinblaze wrote: »

Done.

And where's this Calendar? Or is this the actual in-game calendar?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    you join the contests channel and its in the message of the day.
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jasinblaze wrote: »

There's a contest channel? well never new that
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    yeah flare manages all the groups to avoid conflicts
    its a chore not a perk for him to do so
    otherwise would have more arguements
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    hyperstrikecoh is kind:

Honestly. Even if you're not Gold, bring what you have. We'll make it work.

Thank you, and your welcoming is noted.

But I'm an anal retentive fuss-**** about my costumes, so it's ME holding me back, not you. :tongue:

"Nuts...I needed to take the nose scaler one notch back...it's RUINED, start over!" :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png