test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Most fun I have in CO is in...

monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 789 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Gravitar! Not the Gravitar where a strong team takes her out in under 5 minutes. Not the one with whiners, leechers and quitters.

No, I am talking about the "never give up" PUGs. You never know what you will get. But I will say this, the absolute most fun I have had in CO is fighting Grav with less than max PUGs where people just refuse to give up.

My Heroes do tank Gravitar alot and in these cases Grav wipes out the rest of the team with a good chunk of her health left. Some people whine and leave but the ones who stay and never give up make it soooo much fun.

Yeah, it's fun for me to solo her -- I drag her to the edge so the rest of the team can reform hoping her bubbles don't catch me at the wrong time. And when the team comes back you can see everyone renew their hope in defeating Grav. And sometimes they get wiped out again, but then come back again and again. Awesome!

I think everyone who participates in one of these feels pretty damn good when we finally defeat her. So grab some Triumphant Recoveries and a good attitude and enjoy the game's toughest challenge! :biggrin:
Post edited by monsterdaddy on

Comments

• arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Gravitar! Not the Gravitar where a strong team takes her out in under 5 minutes. Not the one with whiners, leechers and quitters.

No, I am talking about the "never give up" PUGs. You never know what you will get. But I will say this, the absolute most fun I have had in CO is fighting Grav with less than max PUGs where people just refuse to give up.

My Heroes do tank Gravitar alot and in these cases Grav wipes out the rest of the team with a good chunk of her health left. Some people whine and leave but the ones who stay and never give up make it soooo much fun.

Yeah, it's fun for me to solo her -- I drag her to the edge so the rest of the team can reform hoping her bubbles don't catch me at the wrong time. And when the team comes back you can see everyone renew their hope in defeating Grav. And sometimes they get wiped out again, but then come back again and again. Awesome!

I think everyone who participates in one of these feels pretty damn good when we finally defeat her. So grab some Triumphant Recoveries and a good attitude and enjoy the game's toughest challenge! :biggrin:

I had a run like this. It was a pug where the only support got taken out almost immediately and I was apparently the only one with a self rez. After a few minutes it was down to just me and the person tanking and the rest of the team was going crazy because we were actually winning. Was the most fun Gravitar run I've had to date.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    One of the most fun things I've done was charge the armies of Qliphothic Horrors in Aftershock 3. The rigged Osprey blowing up at the horizon as I mow down enemies with the two groups of troops and my fellow heroes.

Another was when I finally caught up with Black Harlequin at his factory to put a stop to his enjoyable madness. The mood that was set up, no matter how short it was, was really well earned and made for the best open world event this game has seen.

But my most favorite fun thing I've done was march in a massive mech straight into the heart of Multifaria. To take on the colossi, team up with the most diabolical villain ever known to thwart Citizen Harmon and eventually face off against the spawn of the Qliphothic realm itself. Nothing was more satisfying than playing a key role in the most important event in the Champions Universe thus far.

I'm just wondering when the next epic story will befall us. The next terror that needs real heroes to conquer. What schemes and monsters the Champions will have to suffer through to make Millenium City and even the world a better place.

However, I'm starting to think we just aren't worthy anymore. Maybe super heroes just aren't needed in a perfect world.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This thread needs this warning at the top of it:
    SPOILER ALERT!

:tongue:

Favorite moments, in no particular order:

• Aftershock #2, cutscene where you first enter inside the base, the red Demolitions VIPER guy on the right "fixing" the computer with a hammer. Priceless!
    • Grizwold in Resistance "Couldn't get any worse." *moment later* "It just got worse."
    • Demon Key, everything he says. Seriously. Especially when he gripes at Luther Black doing his monologue.
    • Witchcraft, Demonflame, when she summons Demon Key
    • Witchcraft, Demonflame, when she boldly walks up to a Nightmare Destroyer and demands it stop, instead the Nightmare Destroyer backhand slaps her so hard she flies off the screen. Definitely a "O_O lol!" moment
    • Defender, Thick as Thieves, "...I'll penetrate from the others side..."
    • Valerian Scarlet, Apocalypse Aversion, "I sense a presence I haven't felt a presence since... Oh wait-- It's only Caliburn"
    • Black Fang's voice. All he needs to say more is "GET TO THE CHOPPA! NAO!!" Why he doesn't say anything in the Alert version I dunno, makes me sad it does.
    • Walking into the heart of Multifaria in a Mega D
    • Therakiel when he breaks all the column in his chapel before the fight begins. Definitely makes you go "Oh damn, I'm going to have to fight THAT?!"
    • The heaven & hell phase of the Therakiel boss fight when he gets down to 2/3's HP. Most beautiful part of the whole game
    • The Vibora Bay Apocalypse. Especially Valerian's introduction cutscene to the zone, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0i5LOiyD0
    • This trailer and what followed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YaX4fpRGWk (makes On Alert look like a bad joke btw)
    • The Dr. Destroyer plot twist and when he blows out a wall
    • Whiteout #2, the creepy & paranoid atmosphere. The blizzard effect outside making you unable to just free with your travel powers. LOVE IT!!!
    • Gravitar, Red Winter, and Hi Pan Fury of the Dragon alerts. (yes there are a few alerts I like)
    • Being able to battle your nemesis with allies in NemCon
    • The "Bunker Buster" nemesis mission
    • Anything with Teleios in it.
    • Anything with Ripper in it.
    • The missions involving Valerian Scarlet.
    • Aftershock #4 (Descent into Darkness), all of it.
    • The slow motion effect in the Muse of Lethargy and Despair's tower in Demonflame, and later the boss fight in Aftershock #2. Gravitar NEEDS this effect when she goes to use her yellow bubble! It'd be epic!!!
    • Playing Aftershock on Elite with a full team, especially when your team does the "army of one" style battle at the end of Aftershock #3.
    • Fighting the Kings of Edom within your mindscape.
    • Holding out and emerging victorious as a survivor in Zombie Apocalypse when there's only a few of you left
    • The insanity of the Vikorin the Blind boss fight on Elite after you get him down to 1/3rd HP. Everything goes nuts and there's lava everywhere (which he will try to knock you into)
    • Fighting Teleiosaurus or Qwyjibo.
    • The quest chains in the Fallen Forest.
    • Going through the portal of the temple of the death dragon in westside
    • Finding Eclipse's and Phoenix's lairs by accident just while exploring the Zones (Crowns of Krim bad guys)
    • Nighthawk stuff, not the bugs that came with the patch I mean the good stuff.
    • Blood Moon. Even though it's getting dated now, it's still awesome. Takofanes is no pushover.
    • The Harlequinn factory mission (given by the scrap metal you pick up from defeating Clarence)
    • The Calculazon v. Miniature Hero UNITY mission

And for the record, teamplay is what makes the game typically go from "alright" to "wow that was fun!" For me anyways.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    For me? Jumping from high places.
    In no particular order:

1. The first time you knock up then lunge while the enemy is still in the air.
    2. Realizing you can do this over and over and over.
    3. Picking up a Hummvee and throwing it at a viper osprey.
    4. Little Ellie's nightmare in Aftershock.
    5. The finale of the Westside story arc.
    6. NPC chatter in vibora when you rescue someone from the New Shadows and he runs away saying "I'm changing to team Jacob after this".
    7. Vibora Bay Apocalypse, powering a time machine with energy you steal from a fallen angel using a modified hair dryer.
    8. The first time it's *YOUR* nemesis in a dockside alert.
    9. The little bit of schadenfreude you get when your nemesis wins in a dockside alert.
    10. The entirety of Whiteout parts 1 and 2.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    [*]The Vibora Bay Apocalypse. Especially Valerian's introduction cutscene to the zone, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0i5LOiyD0

Talking about VB-Apocalypse and Valerian .. i always loved this one :tongue:
    Nuclear-Toaster.jpg
    R607qMf.jpg
  • xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    Talking about VB-Apocalypse and Valerian .. i always loved this one :tongue:

That line is one of the best in the game, and it's actually delivered pretty well. Anything coming out of either Valerian or the real Destroyer is that good sort of over the top hammy... Heck, even Shadow Destroyer sounded good in Resistance.

For me, It's gotta be about every big climatic battle or high octane section out of the game's better content, mostly being APs. I seriously wouldn't be against having all the content in the game that's not strictly overworld stuff be re-configured into story driven AP style content that you essentially complete while you're doing the overworld stuff. Because for the most part it's produced the best results in terms of pulling you in and making you feel like you're actually doing something.

"JAMES HARMON! FAAACEE MEEE!"

Gravitar can go die in a fire, I want more stuff like the APs and CSs.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Most fun I have is farming grab alerts constantly. Or at least, I hope it is since that's what I do. If it isn't, then I'm really screwing myself over.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Two friends and I were doing Aftershock on Elite, and we chose to aggro a significant percentage of the Qliphotic realm at once. Fun times.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I have to ask :) is it that Gravitar is a good challenging fight that makes her fun to play? You like that 'very close' victory?
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have to ask :) is it that Gravitar is a good challenging fight that makes her fun to play? You like that 'very close' victory?

Uh oh. :smile:

It's a trap! :wink:
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
    edited December 2012
    Hahaha :D You know me too well Kenpo, but seriously it's a honest question :) honest research!
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Speaking of vibora bay apocalypse, wish they would make that a repeatable ap!
  • ringwashereringwashere Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I totally agree with the OP. The most fun I have had in CO is running around with my daughter. I'm a Brick AT, and She's ranged DPS. Why is it fun, because we need each other to be successful.

Being important to the team, more than just a number to deal with spawn sizes, is what makes a team fun. Otherwise you are just soloing. I made a comment last night in a tanky event/channel that I finally have a reason to make my tank tankier, and I started getting all kinds of unsolicited advice on how to uber up a tank. I appreciate them taking the time, but I didn't need any of that. What I needed is knowing there is a team around that allows me to specialize and leaves room for them as well.

The original Champion PnP game was awesome because you could make your character more powerful by identifying weakness that the GM could use against you (i.e. "I'm powerless when wet and take extra damage from freshwater, but my witch powers are MEGA when dry!") Making character without weakness is pretty weak by comparison. I like knowing limitations, and playing around them or despite them, finding synergy with members of the community, and being a part of something greater than myself is what matters to me.

Being a tank that doesn't need a healer or a DPSer or either doesn't interest me in the least. Superman is a boring concept to me, and a team of supermans in CO is a snooze fest.

I would seriously consider playing only AT spec characters from know on, but I'm a concept guy first. I'm here to pretend to play super heroes I've made up years ago, not to see if I can make the ultimate virtual whogivesacrapsit or remake Pun-Pun the Super Kobold in tights!

Although, it is impressive to see stataddicts build some super clever stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »

I will not lie. The first time that came up, my reaction was basically :eek: "Can... can I always be on your side? I mean I know you're a bad guy and I'm a good guy, but holy crap, you are so awesome right now."

Another fun moment I had in CO was the first time one of my characters "met" Grond. He was just minding his own business in Burnside, and all of a sudden... SPLAT! "You have been defeated." What makes it even better was that the character was named "Innocent Bystander." When I figured out what had happened, I was laughing so hard I couldn't even hit the recover button for a minute or so.
    edited December 2012
    My most fun in CO was near launch, before the HUGE enemy nerf across the whole game.

I remember when Gadroon Aliens would uppercut you for 1/3 to 1/2 of your HP if you didnt block, Force Eruption was EPIC too, i had to keep changing my build or tactics to beat the enemies (yeah back then you NEEDED a knock or control power back then to deal with enemy strength which was mostly in numbers, if you pulled too many mobs than you could handle you were a gonner! basic MMO rules, dont push your luck)

Having to change my build to cope with the challenge was the most exciting part of the game to me, i could be beaten and then say to myself "What am i doing wrong? and what can i do to overcome it? Maybe i should find a team?"
    Gave me happy-shivers back then, excitement.

I still have the CO game here, boxed with disc...i wish i could host a private server or something, JUST to temporarily relive the Launch days.
  • drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »

I will not lie, up to then I'd thought Dr. D was kind of dumb. Then he proceeded to devour the scenery. And then Shadow D showed up and take giant bites of his own out of the scenery. And then they fight in a glorious Ham Off to see who is truly the hammiest supervillain. I admit, I love my big bads hammy.

But my favorite part of all that? When you first let Dr. D out of the box, and what does he do? Yeah, it's your standard hero/villain teamup, and he knows it... and he totally rubs your face in it. He taunts you with the fact that you need his help to stop Shadow Destroyer, and that you are letting the single most dangerous man in human history, a man who is more destructive and powerful than many nations, a man who has turned cities to ruins, free to bring down a new age of havoc upon your world. That everything that happens after this is your fault.

And that you will you do this because you are a hero.

It's an awesome scene.

The other awesome moment for me was during the Vibora Bay Apocalypse. My little dimension tossed clockwork robot girl, alone, storming Therakiel's sanctum to steal power from the mad angel himself to power her time machine. And then, swarms of vampires charging in to fight the Nephilim. And she just starts going to town. In my mind, she's atop this growing mountain of the things as she just keeps smashing away at them, more and more vampires charging in futility against them.
  • drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I will not lie. The first time that came up, my reaction was basically :eek: "Can... can I always be on your side? I mean I know you're a bad guy and I'm a good guy, but holy crap, you are so awesome right now."

I strongly suspect this is how Dr. Destroyer recruits his minions and why they're so loyal. Sheer force of personality. That, and a good dental plan.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Most fun I've had... first time I did a 5 man Elite Resistance with my SG in character

Second to the first time I did a 5 Man FULL Serpent Lantern Elite in character

Third When I completed Whiteout with a 5 man ELite time in character..

- -

Man i really loved doing storylines in character with my teammates.. if only there were more chances for me to do that.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Vixy has had a lot of fun in CO and by far it's mostly due to Vixy's SG mates and friends, so the list could be really really long - but we'll try to limit it to the top 12.

To sum it up -
    PvP: ultimately had the highest potential for fun because the good matches were REALLY good.
    PvE: Vibora Bay really showed Vixy what CO's team was capable of and set the bar pretty high...it is amazing.

The most fun Vixy's had in order of priority:
    1. Very close pvp UTC matches
    2. Very close Stronghold pvp matches
    3. Large pvp Bash games with 15-20 players in a given match.
    4. Figuring out how to solo Nemcon (when it was actually hard).
    5. Figuring out how to solo Teleosaurus (also when it was hard).
    6. Playing through Vibora Bay missions and exploring the zone for the first time...too bad no one's ever in there....maybe if it had a cosmic ;) Anyways, it's so well done and the care + attention to detail really shows! Bring back Tumerboy.
    7. Therakiel's Temple - just awesome. Pure awesome. So awesome...more like this and less shortcut substitutes for content (Alerts).
    8. Getting the original Tele Pheremones after hunting that dino for, quite literally, a full year. No joke! This was intensely rewarding.
    9. Pulling every mob from everywhere and killing them all without dying...
    10. Getting a 30k+ spike in pvp using Squishykipz before dying immediately.
    11. Supporting a team of 4 super squishy, high DPS players with Vixy's healer, Medikipz.
    12. Soloing Gravitar's last 30% with Vixy's Quarry build.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    For me?

Reading the forums :B

Here is the real end-game of Champions Online >:3

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,106 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Coming up with yet ANOTHER "concept pair" and start leveling them, with my friend.

We'd usually have another concept and never got many to 40.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    random PuG vs random PuG PvP.

That used to be the funnest and most challenging thing for me.

Now, I just like levelling toons up.
  • perfect0777perfect0777 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    easy..costume creator..getting that look worthy of a major superhero/ine...i could just see one of my toons at the watchtower or avengers mansion and they would fit right in..because thats how magnificent they look...more costumes..more genres of costumes..the more costume stuff the better..and make size scale that matters..if i want a giant or tiny toon i want a giant or tiny toon that stays that size regardless of activity...i want different sized toons...like microscopic size..so small you cant even see them on the screen...but youll notice them for sure when they force cascade or orbital cannon your ****...
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I admit that getting squashed by Grond for the first time was amazing. Especially since I didn't even know he existed and it came out of nowhere.

This also reminds me of the reveal of your Nemesis in Whiteout.

I miss the surprises.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I admit that getting squashed by Grond for the first time was amazing. Especially since I didn't even know he existed and it came out of nowhere.

This also reminds me of the reveal of your Nemesis in Whiteout.

I miss the surprises.

I recall once i was standing around chatting to friends on teamspeak, after clearing an area of irradiates, awaiting a re-spawn. I had turned the game sounds up to make sure I could hear them over TS, when unbeknownst to me Grond landed right behind me, literally a few feet. He commenced his taunt dialogue and the sheer volume alone made me leap out of my skin and near wet myself. I managed to escape despite my uncontrollable laughter as my fear/flight instinct took over. In hindsight, I reacted exactly like you would if Grond announced himself just behind you in real life, a mixture of fear and elation that you were still alive.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Social gatherings.

I love hearing people chatter, and looking at their costumes.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    - Finishing Red Winter with one second left on the countdown.
    - The first time playing through the Hi Pan alert.
    - Having over 30 people show up for "The return of Vanguard" event during the 20th anniversary of the Battle of Detroit.
    - Facing down against Black Paladin in two of Sprawler's RP events.
    - Aggroing three mobs in "Neutronium Nightmare" and somehow surviving.
    - The first time throwing a Roomsweeper in a duel and watching the opponent fly. And the second time. And the third...
    - Chatting with friends.
    - Finally entering Vibora for the first time after the VB Crisis.
    - Laughing at Foxbat trapped under rubble in the tutorial. :D
    - The first time facing a Mega-Destroid.
    - "My, Grond sure is big..." *SPLAT*
    - Seeing the old SUNDER campaign mentioned in game, nearly 30 years after we played it.
    - Bullet for Biselle. The battle against VIPER-X may seem old hat now, but at game launch, it was pretty special.
    - "Hugs are fun, but smashing is better!" Worth the lag to hear it.
    - Finkle's Foundry, especially the music.
    - Fighting alongside the real Dr. Destroyer to face Shadow-D.
    - Fighting Megalodon in Ren Center on PTS, when the devs came out to play.
    - The tribute to Andy Matthews.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Reading the trainwrecks on the forum and replying when I know I shouldnt. Its my end game.

This game so needs more content :/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thread of positives deserves a bump.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Reading bios that look like write ups for dating sites and then laughing to myself at how people might turn and run from some of my characters if I did the same considering that a few of them are more than a little disturbed. :biggrin:
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've only been here a week, but my standard answer would apply now or after I'm a vet. Screwing around in the costume creator, no question.

On the other hand, great thread for a newbie to find other fun things to do, though. :wink:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png