The Foundry: THIS JUST IN!

Comments

• docclarksavagejrdocclarksavagejr Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes, please!

(I'm probably late)
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Please tune the noise down. There are other Foundry-related threads where you can discuss, I want to keep this one for votes only in order to keep the votes measurable.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    foxyperson wrote: »
    Please tune the noise down. There are other Foundry-related threads where you can discuss, I want to keep this one for votes only in order to keep the votes measurable.

The only issue with that is it becomes a borderline petition thread, which aren't allowed. Some sort of discussion needs to take place in order to keep the hammer from being dropped.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The only issue with that is it becomes a borderline petition thread, which aren't allowed. Some sort of discussion needs to take place in order to keep the hammer from being dropped.

Well, if Jack, the head of Cryptic, has specifically asked for this and Trailturtle's said that he's glad to see our enthusiasm (post #158), I think we're covered. :D Given that Trail's seen the thread and not shut it down, I don't think we need to worry that the conditions set by the OP are an issue. Inconsistencies in the handling of forum rules can be argued elsewhere.

Anyhow, apologies for the interruption, Foxy, and thanks for your help in this matter. I'l cede further comment to those who wish to add their assents to this cause.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I want to believe!
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Perhaps, but I'm not sure that Silverspar's berating of the playerbase becase of her negative view of it is exactly on topic. And the thread is gonna get even more derailed if some of us start replying to her posts and this escalates into a drawn out disagreement across several pages.

All Im gonna say on that topic is that is that the idea this playerbase has been unwilling to throw money at Cryptic is wildly inaccurate and disengenuous almost to the point of lying. I doubt that a single (or at least not many) regular poster on these boards has spent less than $300 or $500 in this game, and now we have the rampant gambling to content with, which--while many of us that post here refuse to participate in it--a large portion of the playerbase almost certainly takes part of. That is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination unwillingness to throw money at this game. I have never spent over $500 in another game in my life.

Also, as Thundrax already pointed out Trailturtle has already seen this thread and seemed to approve of it, and its not like the no-petition rule is actually written in the PWE Community Rules and Policies that I know of (though, we're aware of it because the topic has come up before). Lets just see where this leads from there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I had the ambition to not only go farther than man had gone before,
    but to go as far as it was possible to go"

--Captain James Cook
  • bellesorcierebellesorciere Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To get back to the original post . . .

Yes, please!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • auldwolfauldwolf Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's hard for me to just type 'yes, please' and nothing else.

Though my answer is unequivocally YES to the foundry. The fact of the matter is is that this move would be good for the casual types coming into the game, too. I keep saying that one of the best things to keep casuals around (and this is one of the reasons that something like Free Realms has been a giant and WoW-like, if quiet and humble, success) is to have a variety of content.

The more fun things you have in your game for a casual to play with as early as possible, the more you're likely to retain those customers over a period. When people first start a game, they aren't looking for nail-biting difficulty, or grind, or any of the old MMO tropes, they're looking for fun. If your game can provide fun through variety then it's going to be more successful.

And I would be happy to put my money where my mouth is in the form of a Kickstarter. I would throw money at such an effort. This isn't only good for me (I would like it), but it's good for the continued health of the game. I know it is. And really, it's little things like this that could help save CO from the same fate as CoH. (That and if they'd market the bloody game properly at the casual audience it's obviously aimed at.)
  • lightstorm222lightstorm222 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes Please!!
  • kiranvoxkiranvox Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes please.
  • bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, Please!!
  • opalflameopalflame Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes please!
    Ink@Opalsky in game
  • blazemoonblazemoon Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes please! Oh yes! A thousand times yes! Joy and cookies and sparkles and candy!

But srsly. Yes.
  • tangent90tangent90 Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, I'd be willing pay money up front to get the Foundry for CoH.

Given my experience with how a similar feature worked in CoH, it should work the way the video for Neverwinter described the Foundry working there: to run them you talk to special contacts in the real world, you build the lair out of building blocks, you populate it with standard critters (not customized NPCs with author-selected powers, which would be open to widespread abuse), the missions occur in the real world, which means they incur travel time.

Finally, they should grant mission xp if they're "long enough." That would have to be a run-time decision made at the end of the mission instead automatically granting a fixed amount determined by the mission writer.

Foundry missions should be just like regular missions: same rewards, same difficulty, taking the same amount of time and effort to do them. If they aren't just like regular missions, people will ultimately not play them.

Mob customization is not a high priority, and could be added later if need be. The only level of customization that should be allowed is changing the names and costumes for standard mobs. That would allow us to write stories and give them new costumes to go along with them, but would prevent the rampant abuse of faction and power customization features was the biggest knock against City of Heroes' mission architect.

Because CO is the low man on the content totem pole, the Foundry is potentially a great way to give us more things to do. But that will be true only if Foundry missions are nearly indistinguishable from standard content.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    @all the rampant "OMG people could abuse the system to farm XP the way they did at CoX's AE"

We have Smash Alerts. Your argument is invalid :tongue:

To Clarify: Smash Alerts already provide ridiculous amounts of XP for doing nothing more worthwhile than completing a single tank and spank fight--i.e. the exact same thing XP farming missions did in early AE. So reigning down on the possibility that people could potentially, maybe abuse the Foundry for XP would be pointless--we already have a dev created and approved in-game means of doing just that. Just give us the freaking Foundry and let us level with it. Players can't possibly abuse it more than they already can abuse Smash Alerts.
  • aaronh42aaronh42 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes Please
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    -snip-

Also, as Thundrax already pointed out Trailturtle has already seen this thread and seemed to approve of it, and its not like the no-petition rule is actually written in the PWE Community Rules and Policies that I know of (though, we're aware of it because the topic has come up before). Lets just see where this leads from there.

To be fair, that rule wasn't specifically written into the old rules either but that didn't stop the mods from enforcing it anyway. Still, my point stands. It wouldn't hurt for people to expand a little bit on why they're saying "Yes, please". Thirty pages of "Yes, please because X" carries a lot more weight than thirty pages of just "Yes, please.".
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To be fair, that rule wasn't specifically written into the old rules either but that didn't stop the mods from enforcing it anyway. Still, my point stands. It wouldn't hurt for people to expand a little bit on why they're saying "Yes, please". Thirty pages of "Yes, please because X" carries a lot more weight than thirty pages of just "Yes, please.".

I'm not sure exactly how true that is, speaking from the standpoint of someone who has, on occasion, had to sift through petitions- sometimes simpler really is better. On the other hand, it probably can't hurt, so...

Personally, I would pay- a fair amount, too- for the ability to realize a number of the campaign adventures I've run in my PnP game in CO. Further, given that I have a fairly loyal cadre of PnP gamers who enjoy my adventures, I might even be able to get a few more players into the game just for the opportunity to see their characters chewing bubblegum, taking names, and kicking patootie!
  • lotusabstractlotusabstract Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sounds good to me.

Maybe we can use The Foundry to port over City of Heroes and
    City of Villains content? I'd love an "Elseworld" Altiverse to keep
    CoX going in CO. :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • merloidermerloider Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes. Please.

And this is while being in full agreement with archdukestalker and underchicken from this post: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2706491&postcount=170

That said, people in STO buy $25 ships. We don't. I hate that they do so willingly it but it's reality. I also hate the idea of croudsourcing what should be a core game feature, especially since the Foundry is supposed to be a core Cryptic thing. Go to their homepage, take a look at their product list, and find the one title that doesn't have user generated content (to save you the clicks, it's Champions.)

But if I can take the price of one of those ships, give it to Cryptic knowing full well where my donation dollars will be going.. specifically in this case, getting that Foundry.. to me, it's worth it.

So, I say again: Yes. Please.
  • blackyagamiblackyagami Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yesh Pleeeze
  • xgcoxgco Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is a recent thought I had so I figure I would share it.

Hypothetical: If I were to donate and the kickstarter was a success, I feel that as a Silver player I should be allowed to use the foundry and not have to subscribe in order to use it. Perhaps there will be a minimum donation amount that lets Silvers have the foundry unlocked for them. Just a thought.
  • sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    xgco wrote: »
    This is a recent thought I had so I figure I would share it.

Hypothetical: If I were to donate and the kickstarter was a success, I feel that as a Silver player I should be allowed to use the foundry and not have to subscribe in order to use it. Perhaps there will be a minimum donation amount that lets Silvers have the foundry unlocked for them. Just a thought.

*confused* Why wouldn't you have access? The whole point is to generate more content in order to get and keep more players in the game (and, therefor, spending money)- the best way to do that is to make resources of this nature as widely available as possible.

I could see locking some features behind pay-gates, I suppose, in which case, I agree that grandfathering in *everybody* who pays a certain amount in the kickstarter would be a wise goodwill gesture.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please, because the players deserve at least a chance to do what it takes to make it.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Since Kickstarters usually have rewards for certain levels of contribution, I would think that a Lifetime subscription would be a good one for anything over say, $400-$500?

For those who already have an LTS or who own everything in the C-store, perhaps free Zen, Questionite, become devices, Legion/Heroic gear, vehicles, high level mods or catalysts?

And I would think Silvers would naturally have access to the Foundry whether they contribute or not. How does STO do it?
  • ussnighthawkussnighthawk Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please! Give me a second while I go search for the post I made about this a while back.

EDIT: Here it is.

No relation to "the" Nighthawk.

Refugee from Paragon City. :(

[SIGPIC]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/MetalRacer78/FacesOfNighthawk-ForumSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • xgcoxgco Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    According to the STO F2P Matrix;

Silver characters need to unlock foundry slots in the game to create with the Foundry.
    (Silver players can also gain access to making Foundry content by purchasing slots for Dilithium.)
    Silver players need to unlock additional foundry slots with no slots available from the start. Gold players start with 8.

All players can play foundry content.
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I cant help but think of how things like the "Cony 2012" campaign was so effective in raising funds and awareness through merchandise. What if Cryptic took a similar approach with fund raising for foundry.

What if Cryptic sold a set with a "support the foundry bundle" chest emblem, cape emblem, in game title, AF and forum title.
    This would be in the Z-store, and you could set the amount you want to pay for the set (from the minimum price of a costume pack up to hundreds of dollars).

This would be your donation.

People are more likely to give money if they feel like they are walking away with "something" regardless of its actual value, and even if the kick-starter ultimately fails, you would have something to show for it.

Now you have your "support the foundry emblem" on your chest and/or title floating above your head so that you can show your support and raise awareness in-game. Again, recall how effective the "cony 2012" t-shirts, bumper stickers, key chains, ect were at raising awareness and funds. Wearing your "support the foundry title (in game or in the forums) will get others asking questions about it and possibly lead to more contributions. Also, people are statistically more likely to do something if they can see other people doing it (see the instagraming voting ballots phenomena in the 2012 election).

You could probably take this concept "social networking campaign" even further with player run events, like costume contest involving the "support the foundry set"

If you really wanted to run wild could put a one of those fundraiser thermometers in Rencen that updates as money is contributed.
    fundraising-thermometer.jpg
    Or at least you could put one on the website.

Any way, i think this would be worth a try if only for being an interesting social experiment.

This approach may sound tabu, but it wasn't long ago that "free to play" was a dirty word, and now its the industry standard. Game companies should explore new ways to finance online game development based on what has worked on other areas of the internet and social networks.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • robingbrownrobingbrown Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please!

Not that you can believe any promises Cryptic makes in any way shape or form.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    have any Devs or anyone from Cryptic seen this? It would be awesome to get some feedback from them at some point.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • seetheriusseetherius Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please!!!

In STO we can create already our own heroic stories and some of them are just epic! I'd love to create stories around my nemesises so everyone can get a chance to meet them! For RPers it would be a dream to play them through!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    =Δ= 12th Fleet, Engineering Division, Fleet Captain =Δ=
  • johhotajohhota Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    YES PLEASE, just MAKE IT HAPPEN. We need a Foundry on CO.
  • ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, Please!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, sure. I'll support this.
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    johhota wrote: »
    YES PLEASE, just MAKE IT HAPPEN. We need a Foundry on CO.

Hear hear! Yes please! Of all of Cryptic's games, the one already out that could use the Foundry the most is Champions Online, and this is coming from an STO Foundry writer. The world of comics *needs* the ability for people to *create*, not just to view.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please!

And let me lay it on the line -- I've pretty much stopped playing CO because it bores me. Foundry would HUGELY interest me, from both a creative and consumption side.

Assuming Foundry was even reasonably ok, I would drop a Lifetime subscription. Guaranteed.

As for rewards -- CoX shows the danger of having rewards. That is, you end up with a running gun battle with abuse that ends up with nerfs that screw over content creators more than exploiters.

I think STO's level of reward is proper. I think it's not super popular for a number of small reasons -- among which there's only so much breadth to STO foundry content. It's, well, Star Trek.
    The big sell of CO Foundry is that you could do a fantasy mission, horror mission, and so on. GIANT CHICKEN ROBOTS ARE INVADING FROM DIMENSION BAW-KAWK!

COX had some amazing foundry missions, from fantasy with goblins and orcs to time travel episodes to a retelling of fables (Beast from Beauty and the Beast, etc.)

Having Foundry gives an opportunity for people to write elaborate Nemesis plots, cool background information (Learn how the Scarlet Speedster gained his powers!), and so on.

Here's hoping.

Cryptic, if you do this, I will THROW MONEY AT YOU.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • siralleynesiralleyne Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    *whistles*

Wow, twenty five pages long. Hope this can keep up :D
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    *fans the flames*

MuhuhuhahahahahahahaHA!
  • thurizas86thurizas86 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes Please.

Now to put this on Reddit and Twitter.
  • nivjinivji Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The foundry has been long awaited by co players. This would fill the lack of content. And allow PWE / cryptic to offer very attractive things on the z store (strory slots/maps/etc....)
  • badroto70badroto70 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please!

I am not an avid gamer (except CO) and am not totally sure what The Foundry is except that it allows user created content.

If this happens, I would love to help on the creative (not really technical) end of this. I have a lot of ideas and am a decent writer.

If any of you, especially those with Foundry experience would like to do any pre-collaboration for the purposes of submittal to the powers that be or just to get their creative mojo on, feel free to drop me a line in-game at The Bitter Clinger@BADROTO.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from people on this.
  • rubyamethystrubyamethyst Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    YES! PLEASE! :biggrin:
  • blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please.
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    thurizas86 wrote: »
    Now to put this on Reddit and Twitter.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Change.org and notifying 1up.com and similar magazines once we get a reasonable amount of people behind it. :)

SIGN THIS PETITION

While such a request isn't one that can be answered in a matter of days (executive decisions followed by allocation of resources, logistics, etc), the fact that mr. Emmert hasn't turned the idea down yet means our concerns are being taken into consideration.

Still, being louder doesn't hurt, so please, those who have signed here would do well in signing change.org's petition too. :)

And don't stop replying to this thread. We're already the thread with most replies in the General forum, that counts too!
  • photonhammerphotonhammer Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    YES PLEASE!

as one of those players that came over from that sinking ship, i have created a small horde of characters and i would really like other options for leveling the beginning of the game (1-15). i like this game so far, but the lack of options for content at the early levels seriously gets in the way of my altitis.