test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we have vehicles?

pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Cryptic said we could have vehicles.

We got combat devices, giant battle-mech-suit-box-shaped-things with missles and ****, which are groovy I guess, but can we have vehicles now?

Like, for travel?

I'd like a motorcycle or a car please. This is what they look like, for reference.

Here's what they do. You may notice a lack of explosions. Heartbreaking, I know, but it happens.

Thanks.
Post edited by pion01 on

Comments

• kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Wheels require more animation. Bazinga!

Seriously though, I 'm thinking that might be at least one reason why we have so many hover vehicles. Would you want rolling vehicles to look as "convincing" as the citizen cars?
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Seriously though, I 'm thinking that might be at least one reason why we have so many hover vehicles. Would you want rolling vehicles to look as "convincing" as the citizen cars?

good point, but if they were free, I would take them.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    a hang glider would be neat too.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I could see Offender rolling around in a Plymouth Superbird. Yes.

Unfortunately I don't think the game is designed to support vehicle-style movement. These cars and motorcycles would be able to strafe and spin around as fast as you can move your mouse, probably. I think hover technology is all we're gonna get.

But yes, as travel powers, not combat devices.
    biffsig.jpg
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I seriously would not be all that heartbroken by non-realistic wheels, but really, we can have hoverbikes -
    hoverbike_by_peterhurman.jpg

And hovercars -
    Lambo.

Wheel.

Or Tron style light cycle where you can't even see the wheels.

Comes in "Car" too.

Other options

Ball.

Cacoon.

Car...thing.

And "Inappropriate."

But yeah, not many guns on them sumaviches.
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited December 2012

If I had to choose between one of those badly animated NPC cars or any of the current ''vehicles'' we have, I'd still go for the car.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The vehicles we can see our players in are costume pieces. I suspect that costume pieces can emit FX but cannot have skeletons or child models, the wheels, to spin.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The vehicles we can see our players in are costume pieces. I suspect that costume pieces can emit FX but cannot have skeletons or child models, the wheels, to spin.

child models...? u_u

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    pion01 wrote: »
    I seriously would not be all that heartbroken by non-realistic wheels, but really, we can have hoverbikes -
    hoverbike_by_peterhurman.jpg

And hovercars -
    Lambo.

Wheel.

Or Tron style light cycle where you can't even see the wheels.

I can so picture Witchcraft on any of that.
    Wait, I've a simpler and better suggestion : remove every content that is about sorcery, mysticism, etc... :rolleyes:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    child models...? u_u
    Models that are dependent upon a "parent model" to exist, but which operate differently, like the spinning of a wheel, which must be attached to a vehicle that's moving forward or backward. Similar to parent and child routines in programming.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    pion01 wrote: »

I was kind of expecting to see the vehicle Mr. Garison made on South Park.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I bet thy have some great ideas for that, and so can waste another 6 months with creating
    new gimmicks that noone really wants instead of REAL content :redface:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I took a close look at those cars, and I'm surprised at some of the animation they've got. Their wheels do indeed rotate at a rate matching the car's speed, and the front wheels also change axis to match turns. They don't look that impressive, because they aren't hurdling around at upwards of 70 miles per hour.

The other main reason I'd say that we wouldn't have ground vehicles yet, though, is due to issues of pitch and yaw concerning a car in relation to its movement and ground. Another important one is also that Cryptic doesn't seem to have a way to disable "always face forward" and "face target" settings when you're in a vehicle.

Seriously, try toggling those two settings when using a vehicle. Aside from the lack of ability to go into reverse, it almost feels like piloting a flying buggy in Borderlands to me.
    beldin wrote: »
    I bet thy have some great ideas for that, and so can waste another 6 months with creating
    new gimmicks that noone really wants instead of REAL content :redface:

To their credit, they tried incorporating content with this update. On the other hand, it's one mission where the reward is a bunch of crap that you only would use if you actually were driven to buy a vehicle. Not to mention, rate of failure is extremely high unless a good healer decides to come along and help. Might want to go back to something more basic, methinks.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))