test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

so about those vehicles

lavoszxlavoszx Posts: 76 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
i wanted to know a few things if anyone can tell me:

1. are any of the C-store Attack-Power oriented ones worth buying and do any of the C-store ones come with max Mod slots? (such as the Hawkwing Interceptor)

2. even tho i likely wouldnt spend much on it, are there any significant reasons to buy even 10 or 20 Keys for Arsenal Lockboxes? (yeah i know lockboxes get alot of hate and for the most part i agree with it all, but i dont mind spending a small bit every now and then on a few)

3. how easy is it to get 130 or more drifter salvage for the Vehicle salvage exchanges and whats the easiest way to get Drifter Salvage/is it possible for someone who is going to be lvl 14 FF EP Electric powerset maybe later today after the thanksgiving festivities are over?

4. also what all went down during this "vehicle debacle" thing im hearing about
Post edited by lavoszx on

Comments

• Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lavoszx wrote: »
    i wanted to know a few things if anyone can tell me:

1. are any of the C-store Attack-Power oriented ones worth buying and do any of the C-store ones come with max Mod slots? (such as the Hawkwing Interceptor)

2. even tho i likely wouldnt spend much on it, are there any significant reasons to buy even 10 or 20 Keys for Arsenal Lockboxes? (yeah i know lockboxes get alot of hate and for the most part i agree with it all, but i dont mind spending a small bit every now and then on a few)

3. how easy is it to get 130 or more drifter salvage for the Vehicle salvage exchanges and whats the easiest way to get Drifter Salvage/is it possible for someone who is going to be lvl 14 FF EP Electric powerset maybe later today after the thanksgiving festivities are over?

1:no, the maximum mod ones are from drifter and lockboxes, C store ones usually come with about 3 weapon slots (except for heavy fighter and command fighter), and mod slots depending on type (heavy fighter has 2 defense, command has 2 support, interceptor and stealth have 1 of each, and the tanks vary)

2:no, a thousand times no, lockboxes are not worth it at all, it all depends on your luck really, so yeah, in retrospect its really your call there, but buy at your own risk.

3:For that much drifter salvage you'd definitely need over 50 dollars most likely, as the average per box is around 2. To get drifter salvage, you'd need to buy a lockbox key from the C store, which goes back to question 2, but they give 2 salvage regardless if you get something not listed as salvage. Level doesn't matter at all with buying it, just getting a lockbox from mobs is all you need to worry about.

4:If by 'vehicle debacle', you mean the whole argument about vehicles, then the community was kind of pissed off when their original jets got nerfed, and they got refunds for it and a tiny buff after a while, and also there has been many people in the community not supporting vehicles. If you ask me, there not really worth it to buy for real money anyways, and you can always trade with someone for theirs; but back on topic, there was a whole argument about how bad they are, for one thing, we were promised to have visual customization, we didn't get that with them, so a lot of people are pissed off from that too.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    so the only way to get drifter salvage is via lockboxes? ouch

edit: and yeah, if the c-store vehicles arent all that great, why id spend that much on one is beyond me. id be better off spending $30 on keys and going for the salvage ones
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The problem with vehicles, IMO, is that they basically run counter to the rest of the game:

1. There's no way to customize their appearance, which is one of the biggest draws of CO.

2. You can explain away your character's origins and story anyway you like - vehicles give you an edge in a few key categories, so even if there's no good explanation why your character would have one, unless you get one, you are at a disadvantage in a few ways...

3. You can buy an AT or most of the other "become devices" and be on equal footing to everyone else - with the vehicles, not only can the best ones *only* be obtained from gambling, (lockboxes), but there's still the matter of getting good mods for them - in essence, you must gamble for the best vehicle, and even then it's an incomplete item.

4. Poor return on investment - the vehicles you can buy outright can cost up to 1800 Zen, or $18. This is for just 1 vehicle (compared to an AT or costume set which is available for *every* character). Buying the cosmic keys of power is also not a great choice, as they average a little over 2 drifter salvage per piece, (someone bought some keys and copied the character to the test server repeated times and ran 1000 tests of opening the lockboxes to get this figure).

In short, if you have a lot of money to burn, and don't mind horrible odds, then sure - throw that money away and fatten Perfect World's wallet. If, however, you are a more discerning consumer, then vote with your money and say "no" to these ripoff boxes!

OP, if I were you, and decided that $30 was my budget, I'd rather spend it on a few months of subscription time or perhaps an AT, hideout, costume set, and travel power.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    underchickenunderchicken Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    so the only way to get drifter salvage is via lockboxes? ouch

edit: and yeah, if the c-store vehicles arent all that great, why id spend that much on one is beyond me. id be better off spending $30 on keys and going for the salvage ones

^This is PRECISELY what they WANT you to think. :mad:

Wake up and smell the scam! These things are a HUGE ripoff in every way(Unless you are the luckiest Mofo on the planet and get exactly what you want out of the first box you open, yeah.... good luck with that.:rolleyes:)

They put the crappy vehicles in the store(which I'm sure they still sell a few of to those that like to impulse buy without getting any facts on stuff first), and then they took the higher end vehicles and stuck them behind this outrageous money scam. Just hoping that people will come to the same conclusion you just made.

You do realize that you have a 1% chance of getting what your looking for out of these lockboxes(that being the high end tank), right? And if your actually in it for the Drifter Salvage, your even worse off! You get on average 2 Drifter Salvage per lockbox, then you have to play a SECOND lockbox scam for the Legacy items.

But hey, it's your money. Blow it how you like.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Please to meet you, i'm the luckiest Mofo on the planet.
    Ok, it was in the 2nd box.

419055-SCHWING_super.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    well i thank you all for the replies, and yes Lotar, im well aware of the Scam of lockboxes and using/buying into them, hence why i said i likely wouldnt spend alot on it, like i said in the opening post, i know how alot of people feel about gambling with lockboxes and i generally agree with the "say no to them" sentiment, but im also not above buying 10 or so every now and then, as long as you dont get consumed with buying Lockboxes to the point your spamming Keys, its actually ok to spend on em every now and then, its when it becomes an addiction that its negative

but anyway, IF i were to buy a c-shop vehicle, as expensive as they are, is there any recommendations as far as the attack-oriented tanks or hawkwings? or should i go with a quick $30 on Keys? i should be due for another monthly stipend within the next 8 days or so

edit: and bioshrike, im actually not a new player to CO, bought a Lifetime Gold in i think 2010, but that was before PWE took over so my Join Date only lists when i merged my CO account with a PWE account, given when i got back to CO, i had been away so long that i had like 9k in Zen from the 500 monthly stipend, wish i hadnt spent most of it on costume sets now lol
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    but anyway, IF i were to buy a c-shop vehicle, as expensive as they are, is there any recommendations as far as the attack-oriented tanks or hawkwings? or should i go with a quick $30 on Keys? i should be due for another monthly stipend within the next 8 days or so

Well, it depends on the model, I covered all the C store ones here, but not the drifter and Lockbox ones.

Hawkwings
    • Hawkwing Heavy Fighter MK 2 - 2 defensive mod slots
    • Hawkwing Command Fighter MK 2 - 2 support mod slots.
    • Hawkwing Interceptor MK 2 - 1 bonus weapon slot, 1 defensive and 1 supportive mod slot
    • Hawkwing Stealth Fighter- 1 bonus weapon slot, 1 defensive and support mod, comes with (I forgot name of power), but it gives an increased dodge and avoidance rating based on how fast you're moving.

Tanks
    • Flint-Fire - Comes with heavy weapon MK 1, 2 defensive slots, and 1 support slot
    • Tiger-Shark - comes with 1 bonus weapon slot, 1 defensive and 1 supportive mod slot

the tanks all have a lower speed rating than the jets by the way, and every one of the vehicles comes standard with 3 powers (Minigun, Micromunitions, and another power which depends on the model)

As for should you go with keys or not, as I said before, it depends on luck entirely, you may get it on the 5th box, or the 50th one, but its your call on whether or not you want to test your luck and try it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    edit: just looked on the vehicle news article, seems both the c-store hover tanks are attack-oriented, so i guess the question is: lotar would you reccomend either of those 2 tanks over the Hawkwing Interceptor? i remember on test server the Interceptors AA Missiles were powerful but strangely didnt explode despite having a large explosion graphic
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    hmmm, so out of the Attack Power tank (whichever one has the most damage-dealing weapons, im assuming Flint Fire is the one) and Hawkwing Interceptor, which would you recommend more?

im thinking of buying Zen before the Thanksgiving bonus sale ends, so im thinking maybe ONE c-store vehicle and the rest on Keys

The Tiger shark tank from the C store has more weapon slots than flint fire does, as for jets, stealth has a unique power attached to it that helps boost your avoidance and dodge, but then again, flint fire comes with heavy cannon which is a good power that knocks back people I think, and the tiger shark comes with plasma beam, which is a maintain that does damage and applies plasma shear which deals damage based on how many stacks of it you have on the enemy (max:25). If you want offense, I'd say Tiger Shark or either Interceptor or stealth, perhaps interceptor, its the cheapest one out of the bunch, it has 3 weapon slots and 2 mod slots (1 defensive, 1 support)
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    list of vehicle items

• vehicles are bound to account not character
    • mark is not the same as rank
    • vehicles scale with characters level
    • you need a hideout shared bank to transfer between characters
    • vehicle mods drop in game, haven't seen a weapon drop yet
    • drop rate on tank boxes seem better than tako boxes
    • best jets have 5 slots, best tanks have 8
    • prototypes have 9 slots but the 7 weapons slots are locked and preselected
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you check the stats, ALL tanks and Hawkwings have the same base Attack power of 3.5.

Tanks have a higher Defense while Hawkwings have a higher Speed.

I'd decide which stat I want more, Defense or Speed, then pick which ever one of those have the most Weapon slots.

So, yeah, C-Store wise, for a Tank I'd take the Tiger Shark; for a Hawkwing I'd get either the Stealth or the Interceptor 2...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    the stat bars are meaningless just a gimmick
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, the stats change as you slot mods, so I figure they must represent something...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Well, the stats change as you slot mods, so I figure they must represent something...
    ayonachan wrote: »
    Weapons...THEY DO NOTHING! (to the 'meter' that is)

Any mods with the follow adds .5 to certain parts in the 'meter'
    Energy per X sec - Does not influence the meter whatsoever
    HP Regen - .5 to Defense
    Damage Resist - .5 to Defense
    Dodge - .5 to Defense
    Avoidance - .5 to Defense
    FlightSpeed - .5 to Speed
    BonusHealing - .5 to Defense
    BonusDamage - .5 to Attack
    MaxEnergy - Does not influence the meter whatsoever
    SpeedCharge - Does not influence the meter whatsoever
    CritStrike - .5 to Attack
    CritSeverity - .5 to Attack
    Defense Penetration - .5 to attack
    CostDiscount - Does not influence the meter whatsoever
    CooldownReduction - Does not influence the meter whatsoever

Note: Telemetry 3 does not increase defense by .5 but telemetry 4 onwards does. This is obviously a bug.
    Note2: Ranks do not matter, all ranks add .5 BUT if you have a mod with Dodge and Bonus healing then it will show up as a defense increase of 1(since .5+.5 = 1)
    so basicly not effected by wepons and only gives .5 per mod no matter what the rank
    totally worthless just put in as eyecandy
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Pleased to meet you I got Avalanche in the second box too and a red one in the 6 th box.

and armouring/protection mods in every blasted box from 1-10, ok my character is a glass cannon but there's no reason to rub it in like that
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    so the drop rate of vehicles on the Arsenal lockboxes ACTUALLY seems to be higher than those stupid Takofanes Lockboxes? interesting
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There are 3 vehicles in the locbox, 2 5 slot and 1 8 slot.

Each have around 1% chance to drop per box, so 1% of an 8 slot, 2% of a 5 slot and 3% of a vehicle of some type each box.

While these numbers arent exact they come from around 600 openings on test server, so a good indication.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    you also have to realize things may have changed from Test to Live, id still prefer to hear from more people saying they had good luck with Arsenal Boxes before i think of buying any Keys with actual cash

edit: we all know what happened to the Prototype Hawkwings from test to post-live, they were uber on Test then got nerfed on live
  • Options
    misterjustmisterjust Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As far as I can see, all of the C Store and lockbox vehicles are considered base models and have the same base stats as all the others of the same chassis type, but the Drifter store vehicles all get a +10% bonus to damage, health, and damage resistance, so those are just straight up better.

Support mods generally add more damage, Defense mods are better for defense, so check the number of slots before you buy. I wouldn't get too hung up on the preinstalled weapons, most of those are on the AH for 100-200G, if you're opening lockboxes you'll get a few anyway, sell what you don't want to use buy the ones you do want. You'll want to upgrade those when Mark 2 and 3 weapons are released anyway.

The Hawkwing Razor is 70 salvage from the Drifter store, looks pretty nicely set up for a damage role, if you're opening lockboxes, you'd probably need to open about 26 on average to get that much salvage.

Then again, Grav Bikes will probably be out soon, you might want to check those out before you buy.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    hmmm....didnt remember the Razor was only 70, ive already got 26 or so on my 14 Elec FF char, so thats not too much to expect to achieve with $30 or so in lockboxes, ill have to go check those Drifter Salvagge prices again, either way its more like ill have $40 to spend on Keys since i got another 500 Stipend due sometime before the end of the month i beleive, then the Thanksgiving Zen sale adds another 400 or so for buying $30 before sunday

edit: now dont get me wrong guys, i know i may seem supportive of Lockboxes with my more recent posts in this thread, but i would prefer if Lockboxes didnt exist in CO, but sadly im not the one who makes those decisions for the game
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    edit: now dont get me wrong guys, i know i may seem supportive of Lockboxes with my more recent posts in this thread, but i would prefer if Lockboxes didnt exist in CO, but sadly im not the one who makes those decisions for the game
    only difference between lockboxes and grabbags is the spamming of the loot mode. actually lockboxes have better prizetables imo
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    yeah, and ty to the one poster who reminded me of the Hawkwing Razor Assault ship, thats both affordable and very nice, i can afford that with just 25 keys assuming i ONLY get 2 salvage a box, but that vehicle is VERY attack oriented, i remember the Full Battery Barrage from Test and it did some insane damage albeit sorta in an indirect-fire way, and AA Missile was powerful too, just didnt explode despite the visual graphics of doing so but was good/reliable single-target damage

now i dont know if any of these weapons perform as good as they used to on test, id need a vehicle first to find out
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The constant Need or Greed spam when someone picks one up is the worst part about these things, but they do have better loot tables. Would be nice if they had costume sets inside too, like the Nighthawk/Cursed/Mountain grabbags, that was the best part of those. Maybe the old bags could make a comeback as lockboxes with new updated loot :biggrin:
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Go for a vehicle if:

1.) It fits your concept
    2.) You like travelling fast before 40 or want a non-super flight power to go with your Athletics / Super Speed
    3.) You want a new toy to play with
    4.) You're of the belief that the devs will revisit vehicles' overpricing for their lack of 'oomph'
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    misterjust, what exactly do you mean by need or greed? maybe im just tired but something isnt quite clicking there
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    misterjust, what exactly do you mean by need or greed? maybe im just tired but something isnt quite clicking there

misterjust is referring to loot drops in team play.

Every time someone loots a drop you get the "Need/Greed/Pass" message, and with the frequency of lockbox drops you get the message a lot.

It only takes a second to hit "Pass", but it still covers the center of your screen with annoying frequency.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    What darkstarcrash said ^^

I got a hovertank Ridgeback out of a lockbox a few days ago and I've been testing it out to see what it can do. The tank itself is pretty good, at level 40 without any mods slotted it has about 12500 health, and according to combat log, it's reducing incoming damage by about 55%, not far off what you'd get from a defensive passive.

The weapons aren't as impressive, level 40 Heavy Cannon does about 1000 damage and knocks enemies 110 feet or so, enough to bring a group of level 40 henchman to half health, then scatter them all over so you have to chase them down. Micromunitions and a few other weapons I picked up weren't any better.

I am hoping that the Mark 2 and 3 weapons will be a big step up in power, because the Mark 1s really aren't cutting it.