test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How difficult is it to implement an 'Auto Fuse' feature?

l1ghtstarl1ghtstar Posts: 189 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
I've open way too many takofane cache treasure boxes. I have sooo many mods to the point that I can fuse several rank 9 of all types. I've been fusing for 2 days now, and I'm wondering - How difficult can it be to implement an 'auto fuse' feature that fuses all your particular stack of mods?
Light Star Alliance (my toons with build guides & videos)
Nature Powerset
@Man.of.Light
Post edited by l1ghtstar on

Comments

• Options
    vendincevendince Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Soo signed.
  • Options
    stjobestjobe Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    l1ghtstar wrote: »
    I've open way too many takofane cache treasure boxes. I have sooo many mods to the point that I can fuse several rank 9 of all types. I've been fusing for 2 days now, and I'm wondering - How difficult can it be to implement an 'auto fuse' feature that fuses all your particular stack of mods?
    Probably not all that difficult, but your problem would still persist; it would still take two days to do the fusing.

If what you're *really* asking for is a reduction in time for the fusing as well, then that's a whole other question - I can only assume the time spent fusing is an intended time-sink and as such wouldn't be changed.
    edited November 2012
    To be more specific. Auto Fuse in such a way that your stack of whatever mod will be fused instantly(with success rate taken into account) and produce its product instantly, instead of fusing one click at a time.
    Light Star Alliance (my toons with build guides & videos)
    Nature Powerset
    @Man.of.Light
  • Options
    stjobestjobe Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To be more specific. Auto Fuse in such a way that your stack of whatever mod will be fused instantly(with success rate taken into account) and produce its product instantly, instead of fusing one click at a time.
    As I said, it'd be a fairly trivial programming task to do that (barring any really bad code-base issues). Whether or not they'd want to remove that time-sink is another issue (and my guess is they don't).
    edited November 2012

A skipped lunch break, probably; depending on how familiar that coder is with the functions/scripts called.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    magentagemmagentagem Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes! so signed!

@stjobe- you have an awesome way to kill enthusiasm.
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    magentagem wrote: »
    Yes! so signed!

Those of us who've been here a long time have become cynical.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    magentagemmagentagem Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've been around since Sept 09. Still aint cynical. But then again, I'm not in game as much =)

And I still dislike Stjobe's nack to sound negative in almost every post he puts up since. No disrespect intended.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Stack fusing will cause the coyotes from desert to return. And we all know what happens if the coyotes come back.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    According to the Until Report, fusing stacks would will be implemented in the Hideout.
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't think they'd implement something where all the stacks were fused simultaneously since it does seem that it's meant to be a time sink but, I think an auto fuse where it keeps fusing until you run out of mods or catalysts would be a great addition. Then you could just throw your stack of mods and another of catalysts into the window and walk away from your comp to do something else until it's done fusing.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    A skipped lunch break, probably; depending on how familiar that coder is with the functions/scripts called.

In fairness determining the logistics of how exactly that function would work (will it fuse all available mods in your bag or just mods of the same type; will it start fusing all mods starting from R1 and up, or just the selected rank, etc.) would at the very least take up a team meeting (likely an hour or more). And determining how exactly such a change will impact the UI and any additional graphic art required will crank up the time considerably, particularly if this change could cause the current UI screen to break or change configuration somehow. Then you have all the internal bureaucratic procedures that will likely ensue as they try to determine whether or not this is something that they really want to do, get permision for it, etc. and you're up to a day of work or more. Then someone comes up with a brilliant additional idea of something extra they want to add while they're at it, and that's another team meeting...

PS: I don't work in the gaming industry so I don't rightly know. But I have experience working as a graphic designer in a company that deals in web applications, and the above is what I've gathered from that experience--no matter how simple something might seem, there's always a string processes and set backs (the UI breaks in an unexpected way and they have to waste a couple of hours fixing it, etc.) that complicates the entire thing into several times the initial estimated time, such as those that have been thrown around in this thread so far.

If we're taking difficulty as the only factor, it'd take a skipped lunch break for a coder familiar with the functions/scripts involved to change. (It'll be buggy, but we're used to that.)

If we're taking all the factors into account, I estimate it'd take Cryptic roughly eighteen months to implement the feature after determining they wish to implement it. (And it will still be buggy.)

• Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    If we're taking all the factors into account, I estimate it'd take Cryptic roughly eighteen months to implement the feature after determining they wish to implement it. (And it will still be buggy.)

LOL,

I'd say that eighteen months for the whole (still buggy) thing would be a fair estimate, considering that we're talking about Cryptic.
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea. I just think they have no intention if implementing it for the reasons I stated.
    And I still dislike Stjobe's nack to sound negative in almost every post he puts up since.
    Say what? Ah well, it makes a nice change from the usual "fanboi" accusations ;)
    edited November 2012
    stjobe wrote: »
    Say what? Ah well, it makes a nice change from the usual "fanboi" accusations ;)
    Don't worry, Stjobe - just drop down a few fora and disagree with the idea that CO is dying at the moment and will be gone soon, and you can get called a "fanboi" again. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If they treated it the same way that World of ******** treats smelting ore - you just load up your bags, select what you want to produce, click go and then get yourself a cup of coffee while the game chuffs away.

While on this subject - at 400 skill and selecting only the appropriate school mod (e.g. Presence Armouring on a Science toon) I can't get 100% for any fusion above rank 4. This is bad. I've already done the work to get the mod, why punish me with some arbitary failure rate?

The cynic in me says it's to sell safeguard catalysts.

EDIT

You're kidding me, the 8 to 10-million player MMO made by Blizzard in 2004 is a censored word? Blimey.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    wacky99 wrote: »
    The cynic in me says it's to sell safeguard catalysts.

The cynic in you is insufficiently cynical. Go have a look at the zen store's Catalyst tab and take note of what is being sold.

• Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    fully supported before i get arthritis
  • Options
    kemeikikemeiki Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    While it would be wonderful to not have to click so much for every single thing, I'd settle for just not having safeguards get eaten up when there is no failure. Compromise! :biggrin:
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kemeiki wrote: »
    While it would be wonderful to not have to click so much for every single thing, I'd settle for just not having safeguards get eaten up when there is no failure. Compromise! :biggrin:
    i would actually buy safeguards if that were true
  • Options
    kemeikikemeiki Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Same here. That is the reason I don't buy safeguards, and I know it's what stops a lot of my friends as well.
  • Options
    aetharburnaetharburn Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It'd overflow the market with high level mods. It's the whole idea behind safeguards, you only put 'em in when you're not sure.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality."