test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vehicles are great, but what about "content"?

xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
I'm sure there are a dozen other threads like this, but I didnt bother to scan them all. Vehicles are cool and all, and the new missions are nice. But there hasnt really been a content update since Vibora Bay.

Will there ever be a new zone to explore? New missions involving the lore of Champion's Online?

I found what made Champions Online fun was the building of story and learning some of the lore as you did it's missions. The chain story involving Therakiel, etc etc. What happened to that? A new zone would breathe some new life into this game IMO. Thoughts? Rants? Insults?
Post edited by xcaligax on

Comments

• agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I strongly agree, however this thread has been done before. I guess it just goes to show the developers how many in the community strongly feel we are long overdue for a major NEW ENVIRONMENTAL content update. Makes me wish Tumerboy hadn't been pulled to NWN...
  • sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm close to giving up on this ever happening. It's very clear that the remaining few people on the dev team for CO don't have the resources, time, or manpower allotted to them to achieve anything beyond little sprinkles of fluff every couple months.

Sadly I'll probably be moving on to just playing Mechwarrior Online, BF3, and possibly Planetside 2 if my PC can run it decently. Ironic, that those three games where vehicles are a primary focus and what makes them interesting and fun to play are what I'm going with over the current "Reloaded" update. Maybe Cryptic could take a look at vehicle interaction in other games and learn something towards making the ones in CO not viewed as a waste of time and resources by the general community...

I'll come back for a day or two if there's a new costume set to buy with my stipend though, so I might have that to look forward to.

Snark never dies.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This was posted on Forbes in September.
    The DIY MMORPG: How The Neverwinter Foundry System Could Change Online RPGs

Its probably relevant.
  • jolokia13jolokia13 Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It'll have to go in that direction.

You'll get more content and concepts out of the playberbase than you ever would out of PWE's dev teams.

Will players get recognition for the content they create?
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Vehicles ARE indeed the only "content" for at least the next 6 months. 6 months is normally the
    time it takes until Cryptic cancels the development of the current "content" and moves over to
    the next gimmick.

I'm really interested what idea they take next to make a behemoth out of it that nobody really
    wanted. I still have high hopes for WoW (World of Warlcrawling) Devices, or maybe they also
    make Waterpower Devices .. or they are creative and we get "Paint it Black and White" Devices.

And my absolute new personal favorite is : Remove the Costume Creator, start as a Vehicle
    and then give us "Become Superhero" Devices :biggrin:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I strongly agree here, vehicle aren't actual content, CO has been starving for actual content and NOT alerts and 10 minute cage matches within a square box (instanced alert like missions), we need zones, we need new missions, new adventure packs, zone expansions, and all matters of ACTUAL content before C store devices and all that. On a second note, maybe if we just stop buying lockboxes and cease to buy all the new shiny stuff, then we might get new content that we can enjoy, and not something to replace our heroes,or some gambling thing that everyone hates either, please Cryptic, just give us some actual content, its been 3 years since the last major zone, Vibora Bay, came, lastly I want to reiterate myself, we need new content before any C store devices, lockboxes, etc.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I would love more missions, stories to read and to live it out.

It does get kind of boring to run Westside, Canada and the Deserts after a while :p.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • magitek3magitek3 Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it right now: Champions Online will never again receive new content that is not tied into the Store somehow. And by content, I mean the Vibora/Adventure Pack stuff, not 5-minute Alerts.

Cryptic has so much of its resources focused on NWN that there's barely a skeleton dev crew left on CO. Since new content doesn't give nearly much RoI as new shinies in the store, you can bet that the handful of people running CO are going to focus their full attention on the shinies.

This was the big fear when PWE bought out Cryptic and they went F2P. The subscription model is a happy medium: games get new content on a regular basis because retaining subscribers is how the developers make money. In the F2P system, it is far more efficient (monetarily) to just push out loads of easy-to-make gear/vehicles/etc. for individual sale than it is to sell new content. Not many people will buy a mission for $10 that takes an hour to complete, but they sure-as-heck will buy a flying tank if they think it'll make them uberer than other players.

Look at STO. We used to get a new, well-crafted mission once a week, complete with new NPCs and environments. The servers were nearly overloaded every Saturday morning when the new "episode" came out. But we don't get those any more. With the same number (hundreds?) of man-hours that a Featured Episode would take to create, Cryptic could (and now does) push out tons of new C-Store ships, items, and lockboxes. I do not expect CO to follow a different path.
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Nemesis is the biggest uniqueness to CO. It and the character creator are the best drawcard and selling point.

So boosting the nemesis system (perhaos with a series of expansions) could dramatically increase game content allowing greater replayability and increasing the potency of the gaming experience.

I reccomend this suggestion thread http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=193531
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pssst, Cryptic, action figure battles ala pokemans please. Put more of them in the c-store while you're at it.

Also WTS my army of 50+ zombats
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    We will simply never get real content for this game. There will never be a new zone or new power set. Nemesis will get new minions at most. The writing has been on the wall for almost three years. It sucks but that is what we have been shown by the game developers. As always I would love to be proven wrong.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It just breaks my heart to face this reality. I'm sure they are getting enough funding to put out some content, but I think they are putting that funding into flair items like C-store transformation devices, lock boxes, and other crap like that.

1. GIVE US THE FOUNDRY! I cannot emphasis that enough! This game will probably witness a surge of activity if we are given the foundry.

2. REAL CONTENT PLEASE! New Zones, new missions, and for god sakes, a developing story line!
  • nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    xcaligax wrote: »
    It just breaks my heart to face this reality. I'm sure they are getting enough funding to put out some content, but I think they are putting that funding into flair items like C-store transformation devices, lock boxes, and other crap like that.

Standard operating procedure appears to be to channel revenue into development projects rather than to channel revenue towards further developing launched games.

I don't expect this to change. Do feel free to purchase controlling stock in PW so as to change their minds.
    1. GIVE US THE FOUNDRY! I cannot emphasis that enough! This game will probably witness a surge of activity if we are given the foundry.

Heh. You're adorable. They've already said no. Do feel free to purchase controlling stock in PW so as to change their minds.
    2. REAL CONTENT PLEASE! New Zones, new missions, and for god sakes, a developing story line!
    Again, you're adorable. We've burnt them every time they tried this. They may be stubborn, but they do learn. Do feel free to purchase controlling stock in PW so as to change their minds.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In point of fact, nazaca, they have not said "no" to the Foundry in CO. They have said "not yet" - apparently, they want to test the second beta version of it in NWO (the version in STO is the first beta) before breaking the CO code all to heck with a less-beta version.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    In point of fact, nazaca, they have not said "no" to the Foundry in CO. They have said "not yet" - apparently, they want to test the second beta version of it in NWO (the version in STO is the first beta) before breaking the CO code all to heck with a less-beta version.

Link?

Preferably a link to an official post by someone still employed by the company -and- still assigned to work on Champions Online?

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    Link?

Preferably a link to an official post by someone still employed by the company -and- still assigned to work on Champions Online?

Yes, link please...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted

:wink:
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    Link?

I'll ask a counterquestion as to where a dev said 'no'. All I've heard is that its currently not on the horizon due to the massive cataloging needed for setup.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2012

No no no, they can't give you the foundry because you might make a mission where you can get into a vehicle without having paid or farmed for it.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'll ask a counterquestion as to where a dev said 'no'. All I've heard is that its currently not on the horizon due to the massive cataloging needed for setup.

How is that not a more elaborate way of saying "no?"

"No" doesn't mean "never," nor "Soon." It means no.

"Not yet" implies they will, or are at least planning to, and I don't recall ever hearing/reading anything even remotely beyond "we'd like to, but are not." "Not on the horizon" means they are not planning to. That's pretty much a no.

I think the "confusion" here is what the response is to.

"Give us the Foundry?" That's a pretty solid no. There's no "one day" or "a couple years from now" or any sort of indication anywhere that they're waiting for anything or that there are any plans at all to port Foundry over to CO, or any indication that might lead to "not yet."

The adverb NOT YET has 1 sense:
    1. subsequent to a specified or implied time
    Source

We have no specified or implied time to be subsequent to. No dev has ever said there are plans or, I'm sure, intended to give the impression it was going to happen because giving players the impression that anything is going to happen before it's on any sort of schedule for release, and often times not even then, is anathema to Devs, thus "Soon?".

The farthest from "no" we've gotten is to the question, "Will we ever get the Foundry?" To which we recieved the answer "maybe."

The most recent mention of Foundry was in the Winter Ask Cryptic -
    Q: Any plans for the Foundry?

A: The earliest the team will start working on setting up Champs for the Foundry is late next year. We have some large plans for 2012. Although the foundry is live in STO, there is work that the system needs before it can work for Champs. Additionally, I want a few features that are in development to be complete before going live in champs. To be honest, I want the Foundry to be more that it is right now. We have some really talented folks working on the tools and I am excited to see the latest updates completed
    Source
    I'd like to point out that reading this again makes it sound like The Foundry isn't ready for CO's majesty, not the other way around.

To me that reads "Are there any plans?" "We are going to wait and see." That's not really a plan, and is a roundabout way of saying "no."

Is it possible that "The earliest the team will start working on..." and, "before going live in champs," means we will get the Foundry for certain? Or that they're planning to? Maybe. But that's still a leap. It's an inferrence, not a statement; not even an implication.

So here we are, "late next year" a year later. There is not a single instance of the word foundry appearing in any post by a searchable individual related to Cryptic in any way, the last word we got can be interpreted either way, and before that it was always "we'd like to but no."
    Q: 1) Is there any near future (1 year) plans on getting the Foundry or a new UCG tool for CO?

A: At this point we are dedicated and focused on bringing you some really cool content and features while continuing to offer more customization options, power frameworks and advancement. We want to focus our resources on this goal for the time being and grow Champions by adding new zones and building on and improving end game. The Foundry would require the resources we need to achieve our current goals, so while we?d like to add The Foundry to Champs at some point in the future, we don?t have a timeframe for when this will happen yet.
    Source
    Also, the irony in the "we can't give you Foundry because we're currently dedicated to aaaaaall this other stuff you aren't going to get," followed by the aforementioned Foundry isn't up to CO's standards? Delicious.

After reading all this crap tho, I can see where it's all coming from. There's a constant effort to find roundabout ways of saying no without directly saying no.

Q: Foundry, yes or no?
    A: It depends on your definition of the word "or..."
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pion01 wrote: »

How is that not a more elaborate way of saying "no?"

"No" doesn't mean "never," nor "Soon." It means no.

"Not yet" implies they will, or are at least planning to, and I don't recall ever hearing/reading anything even remotely beyond "we'd like to, but are not." "Not on the horizon" means they are not planning to. That's pretty much a no.

I think the "confusion" here is what the response is to.

"Give us the Foundry?" That's a pretty solid no. There's no "one day" or "a couple years from now" or any sort of indication anywhere that they're waiting for anything or that there are any plans at all to port Foundry over to CO, or any indication that might lead to "not yet."

The adverb NOT YET has 1 sense:
    1. subsequent to a specified or implied time
    Source

We have no specified or implied time to be subsequent to. No dev has ever said there are plans or, I'm sure, intended to give the impression it was going to happen because giving players the impression that anything is going to happen before it's on any sort of schedule for release, and often times not even then, is anathema to Devs, thus "Soon?".

The farthest from "no" we've gotten is to the question, "Will we ever get the Foundry?" To which we recieved the answer "maybe."

The most recent mention of Foundry was in the Winter Ask Cryptic -

Source
    I'd like to point out that reading this again makes it sound like The Foundry isn't ready for CO's majesty, not the other way around.

To me that reads "Are there any plans?" "We are going to wait and see." That's not really a plan, and is a roundabout way of saying "no."

Is it possible that "The earliest the team will start working on..." and, "before going live in champs," means we will get the Foundry for certain? Or that they're planning to? Maybe. But that's still a leap. It's an inferrence, not a statement; not even an implication.

So here we are, "late next year" a year later. There is not a single instance of the word foundry appearing in any post by a searchable individual related to Cryptic in any way, the last word we got can be interpreted either way, and before that it was always "we'd like to but no."

Source
    Also, the irony in the "we can't give you Foundry because we're currently dedicated to aaaaaall this other stuff you aren't going to get," followed by the aforementioned Foundry isn't up to CO's standards? Delicious.

After reading all this crap tho, I can see where it's all coming from. There's a constant effort to find roundabout ways of saying no without directly saying no.

Q: Foundry, yes or no?
    A: It depends on your definition of the word "or..."

"Q: Any plans for the Foundry?

A: The earliest the team will start working on setting up Champs for the Foundry is late next year. "

"we don?t have a timeframe for when this will happen yet."

Note that the quotes state, "will," not, "might," or, "could."

I am not saying that the Foundry is actually coming to CO, just that if we are going to rely on semantics for our determination of Cryptic's intent, that one word might be important.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited November 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »

A: The earliest the team will start working on setting up Champs for the Foundry is late next year. "

I am not saying that the Foundry is actually coming to CO, just that if we are going to rely on semantics for our determination of Cryptic's intent, that one word might be important.

I will stop arguing with people on the forums.

Let's see what happens.

• ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    I will stop arguing with people on the forums.

Let's see what happens.

As I said, I am not actually stating that they are going to implement the foundry here. I was pointing out the problem with the use of semantics to determine Cryptic's intent.

And besides...you argue ? Hardly :tongue:

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • istari5istari5 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm sure there are a dozen other threads like this, but I didnt bother to scan them all. Vehicles are cool and all, and the new missions are nice. But there hasnt really been a content update since Vibora Bay.

Will there ever be a new zone to explore? New missions involving the lore of Champion's Online?

I found what made Champions Online fun was the building of story and learning some of the lore as you did it's missions. The chain story involving Therakiel, etc etc. What happened to that? A new zone would breathe some new life into this game IMO. Thoughts? Rants? Insults?

Totally agree with this. Would love to see more mission content; especially anything that leverages the wonderful Pen and Paper IP. Lairs, Missions, Adventure Packs, Comic Series... Would rather support them by paying for these in the Q Store rather than anything else.

The Foundry would be very nice as well but probably consumes a lot more resources than adding Lairs, Missions, AP's and CS's. Any form of repeatable mission if the storyline is high quality and tied to the IP.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »

Agreed, that's what I mean that I can see where it's all coming from - the use of "will" surrounded by vague wording. For example, is "we don't have a timeframe for when this will happen yet," referring to adding foundry, acquiring resources, or achieving their goals?

Is there a class in being cryptic as part of new hire training or something over there?
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    wrote:
    Q: 1) Is there any near future (1 year) plans on getting the Foundry or a new UCG tool for CO?

A: At this point we are dedicated and focused on bringing you some really cool content and features while continuing to offer more customization options, power frameworks and advancement. We want to focus our resources on this goal for the time being and grow Champions by adding new zones and building on and improving end game. The Foundry would require the resources we need to achieve our current goals, so while we?d like to add The Foundry to Champs at some point in the future, we don?t have a timeframe for when this will happen yet.
    We didnt even get the stuff COLOR="Yellow"]highlighted[/COLOR that was supposed to eat up the resources that would have gone to foundry.

If they cant even deliver on that, how can they deliver the foundry itself?:confused:

EDIT:
    Also, aren't those Robobos words?
    With Stokeman here, Are Rbobo's promises, plans or implications still relevant?
    Seems to me, that until we hear the word "foundry" from Stokeman, there are no plans for it.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I remember when Devs said no to Freeform slots...
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited November 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I remember when Devs said no to Freeform slots...
    Good point but FF slots are something you can sell in the z-store.

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    edited November 2012
    I remember Robobo saying in January that we will get the C-Store on PTS back in "one of the next patches".

So one of the NEXT patches means at least over 10 months in Cryptic time.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Maybe the developing team and management team are losing its members or something bad is happening in the company which causes some of the workers are resigning or leaving the company.
    Personally, I don't have much interest in the vehicles since I prefer to fight directly with my own character in which I have put a lot of time to customize the costume and also select powers for my freeform.
    It will be very interested if the vehicles are added with a finction in which they can transform into humanoid form and merge with the character where players are allowed to customize and design the outfit for the merge. In addition to that, after the merging between the superhero with the vehicle, the character will become very large as the super magnifier do but with more damage, damage resistance and speed.
    There are many rooms for development in the stories of Champion online. For example, The aliens Roin'esh are launching a another invasion, Dr. Destroyer try to turn every single human into organic robots or cyborgs which faithfully obey his order to assist him in world domination, VIPER creates more supersoldier and mutants with DRAYSHA gas, Shadow Destroyer is trying to create a artificial black hole which releases Qliphoth energy to corrupt everything and to change humans into evil being to obey him, etc.
    Anyway, even though many suggestions have been made but are there any developer in Cryptic capable of creating new and interesting content.
  • magitek3magitek3 Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    I remember Robobo saying in January that we will get the C-Store on PTS back in "one of the next patches".

So one of the NEXT patches means at least over 10 months in Cryptic time.

This probably won't happen any time soon. It would effectively allow players to divine the drop rates on the lockboxes and salvage kits without having to spend (potentially) hours copying characters to the test server to collect enough keys/boxes. Also, it would allow players to test the rewards first hand, possibly convincing them to not spend any money if the rewards aren't as uber as the reward description may imply.
    edited November 2012
    Good point but FF slots are something you can sell in the z-store.

Are you trying to say that there's something that can't be sold in the Z store?

Cryptic: Challenge accepted.

edited November 2012
    Are you trying to say that there's something that can't be sold in the Z store?
    Im saying that the things that can be sold in the z-store are more likely to make it in game. This is the only reason why im curious about NWO, because i want to see if they will successfully monetize the foundry there.

The only chance i think we have of getting foundry ported to CO is if it is proven as a cash cow in another Cryptic MMO (like lock boxes).
    Cryptic: Challenge accepted.
    In all seriousness, i wish they would.

• keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hey, Cryptic marketing guys. Betcha can't sell Avalanche Hovertanks in the Z-Store. Oh, and I bet you can't sell the Ultimate Ninja costume set either!

Accept this challenge plz.
    edited November 2012
    magitek3 wrote: »
    This probably won't happen any time soon. It would effectively allow players to divine the drop rates on the lockboxes and salvage kits without having to spend (potentially) hours copying characters to the test server to collect enough keys/boxes. Also, it would allow players to test the rewards first hand, possibly convincing them to not spend any money if the rewards aren't as uber as the reward description may imply.

Whatever .. this at least let me leave all trust in whatever anyone from Cryptic says, since
    it was such a flat lie.

Also .. i don't buy any travel-powers that i can't test before. So in the end there are only
    costumes left that i would buy, since i never would buy any gamble stuff or become devices.
    R607qMf.jpg