test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Build Do You Use to Level-Up?

lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Power Discussion
Do players find it best to go with your character concept directly, or do you have a favorite "speed-leveling build" that you use with all your new characters until you reach a certain level and then RetCon into your theme?

Basically, what's your favorite Build for getting to L40, and why?
jIBJh7X.jpg
When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I usually use a version of my concept throughout if only to get a better understanding of what's working and what's not before committing fully, then retcon any changes that need to be made at the end with proper gear.

I find that too often lvl 40 gear changes your requirements so drastically that some powers or advantages may become redundant or unnecessary.
  • vendincevendince Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I tend to use the same build I plan on using at 40, I just adjust it so I take some powers earlier or later, to increase survivability during leveling.
  • ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Before On Alert went live, I used to just level my toons with DEX/INT Gatling Gun because it was so amazing.

But after spec trees were introduced, I found that I could actually make up for any lack of a set's power with the right spec setup. This made levelling different toons for me much easier, while staying in concept.

Something I think some of the newer people should understand is that Vindicator/Warden specs are actually meant for 40s because of the buffs...you can use Vindicator for The Rush of Battle while levelling, but you will probably get more out of Avenger (Relentless), and other talents that can top off your +Offense as you level. Only when you hit 40 and start getting some nice gear upgrades and diminishing returns start kicking in do the static bonuses start taking over.

When the game first came out, +Offense was a stat that rarely anyone used, and it was unheard of at the lower levels entirely, so when On Alert came out, it was "said" the mobs were adjusted, but in all honesty, I doubt very seriously they were adjusted enough to compensate for the insane amounts of damage that even low level toons could achieve.

I have mentioned it before, but I still believe that any build or concept is possible with the right spec/superstat picks. Used to, AoPM was the link to powers that had no synergy...but now, I think it is PSS DEX. Then just focus on specs to raise your +Offense and you can murder you way to 40.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I always use a variation of my intended build because I build for concept. If I'm doing a super-archer, I use archery attacks. That does not mean I stick in frame for everything (obviously). Two exceptions (so far): my sorceress main, who has used about 1/3 of the attack powers in the game at one time or another, and who has been retconned (through the wonders of free retcons with major game updates) more times than I can remember; and Night Gaunt, who started as Ego Blades, went to Telepathy, went to Darkness, and is back to Ego Blades at 40.

Leveling in CO is easy enough that most builds will do. I do, of course, always plan for a passive by level 8, active defense by level 23, heal by level 14, and break-free by 29.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pion01 wrote: »
    I usually use a version of my concept throughout if only to get a better understanding of what's working and what's not before committing fully, then retcon any changes that need to be made at the end with proper gear.

I find that too often lvl 40 gear changes your requirements so drastically that some powers or advantages may become redundant or unnecessary.

This...

Anything with a good AoE and finishing move will work for me.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I typically stick to my character's concept. There is no certain build that I use as every one of my characters differ from each other in form and function.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I stick with theme for all of my characters. There have been situations where I have changed the theme upon discovering that I just didnt like playing the character though.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • glomoroglomoro Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I almost always make a character, get to the powerhouse with it and then zip it over to the PTS. I check out whether or not my theme idea can stand on its own two feet for whatever role it's playing. If it doesn't, I revise it then and there (especially since the PTS build often has versions of powers that are better than what we have on live). If it does work well mechanics wise, and it stays true to my proposed character concept I then go back to live and enact any changes I might need to for the level 6 version. Then I just go right ahead and level up as best I can with the theme intact.

That is rather difficult sometimes, but honestly a little extra challenge isn't going to kill me (literally, as even setting all indoor missions to Elite right from the start is often too easy for my builds). My new Green Lantern homage, Blue Beacon, is one such character. It's a tank built around Force for defensive powers and ranged TK/TP stuff for offensive powers. The build requires some very specific things to all be aligned to work at 100% efficiency, but when those things do align it was damn near unkillable on the PTS.

I honestly don't mind if this process takes a little bit longer than I really need to spend per character, creating new character ideas with the power system the game has and the costume editor is the entire reason I play at all. I have about 16 alts at the present who have been stuck in level 16-25 limbo for months, or even years if I like the theme a lot but not so much actually playing it when I could be building something new. Occasionally, I do like a theme enough for it to carry a character all the way to 40 before I have any second thoughts on keeping it around permanently. This is nice when it happens, because I get a NEW character slot to tinker with! Best level 40 reward the game offers.

Travel power suggestion threads: Air Walk, Heavy Weapon Flight, Cape Glide improvement
    Power suggestion threads: Annihilate
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    OK, I actually do use a build to level up and then retcon when I think my final build can handle the remaining levels. Why do I do this? Because I can simply level fast this way and yes, I start using this leveling build in Alerts at level 6 and it is effective.

Infernal Bolts
    Supernatural Power
    Devour Essence
    Aura of Primal Majesty
    Epidemic
    Movement or Resurgence (take other one next time)
    Masterful Dodge
    Some active offense

Dex, Con, your choice
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Do players find it best to go with your character concept directly, or do you have a favorite "speed-leveling build" that you use with all your new characters until you reach a certain level and then RetCon into your theme?

Basically, what's your favorite Build for getting to L40, and why?

I prefer to use the build that works with my character concept.
    If you're looking for some easy low-level builds, here are a few good classics:

Regen + Devour Essence makes you extremely hard to kill at low levels.

Particle Beam Rifle + Invun provides good ranged damage with good damage resistance. Just grab Chainsaw to unlock Invun and deal with pesky melee henchmen.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pugdaddy wrote: »
    I prefer to use the build that works with my character concept.
    So it appears does everyone else. Interesting. I really kind of figured people would find a "sweet spot" build and use that to level-up. Clearly I was wrong. Everyone commenting about trying the build as you level as being beneficial, working out the kinks and getting practice in how to use it, etc. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

pugdaddy wrote: »
    If you're looking for some easy low-level builds, here are a few good classics:

Regen + Devour Essence makes you extremely hard to kill at low levels.

Particle Beam Rifle + Invun provides good ranged damage with good damage resistance. Just grab Chainsaw to unlock Invun and deal with pesky melee henchmen.
    I kinda was, I think. Thanks, I'll play around with these.
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So it appears does everyone else. Interesting. I really kind of figured people would find a "sweet spot" build and use that to level-up. Clearly I was wrong. Everyone commenting about trying the build as you level as being beneficial, working out the kinks and getting practice in how to use it, etc. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

In many MMO's there is a dichotomy between the destination and the journey, with some people rushing through leveling to get to the endgame. In CO, there is little reason to rush. Therefore, the only reason to build for efficiency is to be able to do the leveling content (or succeed in Smashes) is that the build doesn't stink, and there are many options for that.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I go with theme builds and no alerts while I level. At the moment I'm leveling a Regen Bleed Rupture toon named Puppy(made him a huge dalmatian), probably going to get all the dog looking pets too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted
    What a ridiculous strategy to level with is leaving the Powerhouse with nothing selected and run Alerts with Become devices. Put that thing on after you are SKed up and you've got all the powers and gear you need. In the end as a bonus you have a fully open character when you reach 40.