test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New UNTIL Sky Command Mission

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2012 in Super News Network
The battle against Dr. Destroyer heads to the sky in the new ?Assault on UNTIL Sky Command? mission, launching on Friday November 9. Take your new vehicles into combat with this brand-new mission!

Dr. Destroyer?s invasion of Millennium City may be over for now, but his master plan has only begun. UNTIL?s Project Shiva division has worked for decades to foil Dr. Destroyer, and in doing so made it a prime target for his wrath.

The attack has come where it is least expected: far above the ground, striking against UNTIL?s Sky Command aerial HQ. Reinforcements are en route, but Dr. Destroyer?s robots will knock it out of the sky long before they arrive ? unless you and your vehicles can stop them!

Full blog post
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So this scales to level 30, like rest of the Alerts?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Scary monster tech, actually, so it scales to your level -- if I understand correctly.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Scary monster tech, actually, so it scales to your level -- if I understand correctly.

This tech needs to be replicated and put into the custom alerts, i.e. Warlord, Hi Pan and Red Winter.

I really enjoyed the Sky Command mission because I was able to fight at my full strength.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Really looking forward to this, Trail.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    johhotajohhota Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No way points in the map means people are all over the place trying to find out where their priority should be. Takes too long to guard the damn engines and looks like healing them has no effect even if their "health bar" is replenished. Seems like everyone that is not survivable DPS MUST own a vehicle and have good enough weapon mods. Enemies don't show up in the mini map and can't zoom out to a comfortable view anyways. Seriously guys (community not Cryptic for once) did you even test this thing? I'm good for challenging new content but this is incomplete, and that's what makes it "challenging". Gonna have a couple more runs but so far it's not fun.
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I like it, first bit of new real content in ages, we just need a lot more of it! This is something id pay for.

On the subject of the until carrier mission, you need to make the hover disc device a permenent item obtainable some way, its the only vehicle id actually ever get, and you wont let me have it!
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    johhota wrote: »
    No way points in the map means people are all over the place trying to find out where their priority should be. Takes too long to guard the damn engines and looks like healing them has no effect even if their "health bar" is replenished. Seems like everyone that is not survivable DPS MUST own a vehicle and have good enough weapon mods. Enemies don't show up in the mini map and can't zoom out to a comfortable view anyways. Seriously guys (community not Cryptic for once) did you even test this thing? I'm good for challenging new content but this is incomplete, and that's what makes it "challenging". Gonna have a couple more runs but so far it's not fun.

I ran it right after launch and succeeded first attempt.

Tricks I've seen so far:

1) Get a Hoverdisk. ALWAYS. Yes, you can use Flight if you have it, but the disc is MUCH faster and you frankly need the speed. No comments on the vehicles, but a properly built Freeform will tromp a vehicle's DPS/Healing capability any day of the week.

2) Teamwork is important. My personal suggestion is to protect just one side of engines. Yes, you'll lose out on some loot, but it'll be MUCH easier to survive the mission as a whole.

3) NEVER leave the engines (below the ship) alone! Even if it's just ONE person! It'll tell you when a group is going after the top, but pretty much a group will always be going after the lower engines. Even during the boss fight!

4) If you can heal the engines, do so! If memory serves, they have 25k HP each (and the top one about 50k), and it'll keep everything going MUCH more smoothly!

5) When Black Talon attacks the Scoop (which MUST be defended as if it goes, you lose immediately!), attack him and ignore his bots. When Talon dies, his bots immediately poof.

BTW, Trailturtle - I'd love to play an Alert at my actual level instead of being nerfed down to level 30 (and losing HALF my damage).
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    shytalashytala Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Yeah....No It Doesn't!!
    Everytime I have gone in,even though accepting the Lvl. 40 mission from the Until guy, since I am Lvl. 40....I get demoted to Lvl. 30. I have gone in with at least 6 other other Lvl. 40s and we ALL get demoted to Lvl. 30....this effing sucks. I would love if it Leveled to the majority of people in the group....meaning if 6 or more are Lvl. 40, than so should the Mission be.

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
  • Options
    edited November 2012

@TrailTurtle

Just a few things I'd like you to make the Dev Team aware of pls:

1- Some Costume Pieces are missing with this patch, namely the brains and antenna from Sci-fi Costume set

2- All Interrupts in game cancel the form Inertal Dampening Field, this includes Ice Cage with Subzero Cell Block Advantage but is not limited to that power, Backhand Chop does the same.

3 - The scary monster Tech has scared itself to death and which has led to a bugging of itself, it no longer scales to personal level but nerf levels everyone to lvl 30, which in most instances (unless in truly exceptional teamwork situations) results in failure as it ruins DPS's, DPS factor and healers cant be as effective as needed for Alert to run smoothly.

4- Destructable Objects in game which can be lifted are not registering, and as a result can be picked up and are turned invisible on pick up. The throwing effect is still carried out as well as the explosion effect but the actual object is AWOL.

With regards to number 3 I was able to be level 40 on PTS final version, but capped to 30 on LIVE. I am running on the assumption that this was a minor mistake.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I think people should be aware that you need at least 3 healers on the team of 10 to make it through the alert, as well as good tanks and DPSers.

Whilst this is hinted at "Skilled Players" not everyone is that skilled, yes it will take time to learn but is it possible that some sort of quota for healers could be on the mission?

And I noticed that engines can be killed through shielding? once they get to around 1/5th HP, engine is critical one more tiny blast and they just vanish.

Also, just saying..where are the Champions? >_> <_<
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    4- Destructable Objects in game which can be lifted are not registering, and as a result can be picked up and are turned invisible on pick up. The throwing effect is still carried out as well as the explosion effect but the actual object is AWOL.
    I feel this is more of a feature than a bug. Used to be that when I picked up a crate or a car to throw at a bad guy, I'd have to stop and angle my camera around to make sure I had the right target. Now, since the item is invisible, I can target directly on the being I want to gift with a faceful of heavy thing.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The invisible object "feature" could be true. I think in coughDCUOcough the feature makes the object somewhat seethru. Since the option doesnt seem to exist in CO, the "feature" makes object compleatly invisible. How else the stuff would just dissappear?...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    This is the most frustrating mission I have played in this game so far. If I keep the engines going the cooling system gets destroyed, and vice versa. Like I said people don't prioritize, waypoints are needed and cut down on the defense timer. 8 minutes is too long and the action you're performing during that time is too boring.

What are the rewards anyway? if it's like the new custom alert rewards then I can safely ignore the mission for good.
  • Options
    hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    johhota wrote: »
    This is the most frustrating mission I have played in this game so far. If I keep the engines going the cooling system gets destroyed, and vice versa. Like I said people don't prioritize, waypoints are needed and cut down on the defense timer. 8 minutes is too long and the action you're performing during that time is too boring.

What are the rewards anyway? if it's like the new custom alert rewards then I can safely ignore the mission for good.

Until boxes, mods and a 10 pack mod box (for the Mega D kill). Maybe there's more but those are the only stuff I ever got. The Cooling System is hilariously easy to defend, 1 DPS can pretty much stop the waves leaving everyone else free to defend the engines.

I do agree that the engine/cooling system defense portion takes too long.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    hubrix wrote: »
    Until boxes, mods and a 10 pack mod box (for the Mega D kill). Maybe there's more but those are the only stuff I ever got. The Cooling System is hilariously easy to defend, 1 DPS can pretty much stop the waves leaving everyone else free to defend the engines.

There's also one drop that's a fair chunk of XP - no big deal for the 40s, of course, but it can come in handy for others.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited November 2012

Thanks. Maybe I'm just unlucky with the people I get paired with. They are either made of tissue paper and drop like flies or they are all over the place accomplishing nothing. And I never see 10 people, think the most I've seen is 8 and last time I counted 6 when the mission activated.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If you kill the Chopper and Black Talon, most of the destroids on the cooling system despawn. You can also just put another DPS to kill Black Talon while he's en route since he doesn't do anything until he gets near. Defending the engines is still annoying because the destroids are spread out way too much, this is probably where the new and improved Lead Tempest really shines.

EDIT: I think I might be wrong about the mega D kill, it might be a 5 pack not a 10 pack. Going to keep doing the mission for a while so I'll update if I see anything different.
  • Options
    misterjustmisterjust Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There is also a Daily for doing the Sky Command Mission, 700 Q'nite and a 10 pack of mods from the UNTIL liason near Defender.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The enemies should come in waves: "Destroids incoming on the port side!" "Destroids attacking the starboard engines!" "Enemies coming at the cooling intake!"

The simultaneous attacks make things too confusing and haphazard.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Two questions:

1. Is this a temporary thing, a la nighthawk, or will this be a permanant addition to the mission queue? Please say permanant, as the "spend dev time making things that are only available for a month" thing is going to get annoying quick.

2. Will UNTIL VTOLs be available for player use outside this mission? I didn't see them mentioned in the blog post, but there was no mention of bikes either. The VTOLs are the coolest looking vehicle's made with this whole thing, it'd be a shame if they were only available as temp mission powers, or trash tier novelty devices.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Two questions:

1. Is this a temporary thing, a la nighthawk, or will this be a permanant addition to the mission queue? Please say permanant, as the "spend dev time making things that are only available for a month" thing is going to get annoying quick.

2. Will UNTIL VTOLs be available for player use outside this mission? I didn't see them mentioned in the blog post, but there was no mention of bikes either. The VTOLs are the coolest looking vehicle's made with this whole thing, it'd be a shame if they were only available as temp mission powers, or trash tier novelty devices.

1. This should be perm. At least, at present there are no plans to remove it or have it time out. Someone at some point may decide to treat it as an event, but for now we're treating it as a fixture.

2. The hover discs?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yes! many people want a perm hover disc device just like the one in the carrier defence (if you do make it available dont go altering it to 'try' make it better, just leave it alone and add it !
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I'd rather existing travel powers be reworked to function at that level instead of making them obsolete by releasing a device that is as good as that. They can nerf jet speed all they want if travel powers get improved to the level of the alert's hover disks. The lack of energy penalty alone is a huge boost to my PA hero.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I'd rather existing travel powers be reworked to function at that level instead of making them obsolete by releasing a device that is as good as that. They can nerf jet speed all they want if travel powers get improved to the level of the alert's hover disks. The lack of energy penalty alone is a huge boost to my PA hero.

Either works, but having device travel powers as well (and so far hover disc is only one likely) lets you take more than 2 travel powers (albeit for devices just the 1 option right now) for concept purposes/different costumes etc
  • Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I really like the new mission: It's fun, fast and stylish. Good work.

Here's two things I noticed:

1. Black Talon. Until now it has never been made clear that there is more than one Black Talon in Dr. Destroyer's employment, while the PnP has always stated that they are simply Destroyer's elite agents.

To distinguish the Black Talon(s) we face in the Sky Command mission from the one we face in the tutorial and Alerts (I assume it's the same one), who is considerably stronger than the ones here, I'd say rename this one to something fancy: Black Talon X, Black Talon Prime, something like that.

2. Dr. Destroyer's Drone Helicopters. I want one.

EDIT:
    1. This should be perm. At least, at present there are no plans to remove it or have it time out. Someone at some point may decide to treat it as an event, but for now we're treating it as a fixture.

3. Why not leave the instanced part of the Nighthawk event, namely the dogfight against Franklin Stone in too? It was just as fun. If updated with fitting rewards there'd be no harm in leaving it in-game, as in my opinion it is one of the coolest bossfights we have. (Also: Franklin Stone's VTOL. Can we have a small version of it, pretty please?)
  • Options
    blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2012

2. The hover discs?

Nope, the loaner vehichle that was in the mission before the hover disc, but after hawkwings. I knew I should have grabbed a screenshot. Never got a chance to test the carrier after you all added the disc. Must have replaced the VTOL instead of being added alongside it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    There are more than a couple of Device travel powers so I don't see why not add the disc as an additional option. There's Darkspeed and the crafted travel powers since the gravity boots don't really count. You might as well throw Juryrigs boots from the VBA in there too.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I really like the new mission: It's fun, fast and stylish. Good work.

Here's two things I noticed:

1. Black Talon. Until now it has never been made clear that there is more than one Black Talon in Dr. Destroyer's employment, while the PnP has always stated that they are simply Destroyer's elite agents.

To distinguish the Black Talon(s) we face in the Sky Command mission from the one we face in the tutorial and Alerts (I assume it's the same one), who is considerably stronger than the ones here, I'd say rename this one to something fancy: Black Talon X, Black Talon Prime, something like that.

2. Dr. Destroyer's Drone Helicopters. I want one.
    1. You didn't go looking for exclamation marks in Stronghold, did you? One of them is the Black Talon pilot you fought in the Tutorial (whether you actually did that or not); he's willing to tell you some stuff, but only if you take out the two prisoners who want to increase their rep by killing one of Destroyer's agents. If you complete the mission, he'll voice his doubts about what's been happening lately, with Destroyer embracing magic and disregarding the welfare of his people even more than usual. Even Gigaton and Rakshasa have been saying things about this. And then there's those new guys, the Karkaradons... Overall, he's sitting there not even sure he wants to signal for pickup (which he could have done at any time, apparently). It's intended to foreshadow the discovery that Dr. Destroyer has been (temporarily) replaced by Shadow Destroyer.

2. So do I!!! That's a vehicle I'd actually lay out cash money for, especially for Spider-Bat!

• Options
    dynamechdynamech Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Yes, please don't make perm items that make powers obsolete.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Okay, TT, after several runs I can confirm that while it may have used scary monster tech in the PTS, on Live it sidekicks everyone to 30.

• Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've done the mission several times, I was SKed down to 30.
  • Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    1. You didn't go looking for exclamation marks in Stronghold, did you? One of them is the Black Talon pilot you fought in the Tutorial (whether you actually did that or not); he's willing to tell you some stuff, but only if you take out the two prisoners who want to increase their rep by killing one of Destroyer's agents. If you complete the mission, he'll voice his doubts about what's been happening lately, with Destroyer embracing magic and disregarding the welfare of his people even more than usual. Even Gigaton and Rakshasa have been saying things about this. And then there's those new guys, the Karkaradons... Overall, he's sitting there not even sure he wants to signal for pickup (which he could have done at any time, apparently). It's intended to foreshadow the discovery that Dr. Destroyer has been (temporarily) replaced by Shadow Destroyer.

Thanks for the reminder, but I know my lore here; I've done that mission. My point would have been that this particular Black Talon pilot we meet in the tutorial, in Stronghold (and possibly also in the Alerts) seems to be stronger than the ones we see here in the Sky Command. Maybe he's a better pilot or his Black Talon armor is an improved version. Either way I was just proposing this to justify the fact that the Black Talons we face here are significantly weaker than the one(s) we fought earlier.
  • Options
    misterjustmisterjust Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the reminder, but I know my lore here; I've done that mission. My point would have been that this particular Black Talon pilot we meet in the tutorial, in Stronghold (and possibly also in the Alerts) seems to be stronger than the ones we see here in the Sky Command. Maybe he's a better pilot or his Black Talon armor is an improved version. Either way I was just proposing this to justify the fact that the Black Talons we face here are significantly weaker than the one(s) we fought earlier.

You haven't done the tutorial recently :tongue: . Tutorial Black Talon got hit hard with the Nerf bat, now he's driving Babby's First Power Armor. Biggest challenge in the tutorial now is keeping him alive till Defender finishes saying his lines -_- .
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited November 2012

You're comparing a fight from when you're level 4 and don't have any useful powers to when you have more powers and can easily fight the same NPC

You can be a total weakling and have trouble lifting up 5 KG's in one hand, but then work out and be able to carry 10 KG, just because it's easier when you get stronger doesn't make it weigh any less..

Also, i wonder how no one has yet to point out what seems to be a glitch in the mission:

(While swarms of destroids are still coming)
    Female voice: They're retreating for a bit, let's use this time to repair and relax!
    (Swarms are STILL hoarding in)
    Mission fails because no time for vital repairs.

I find it actually annoying and misleading to have dialogue clearly indicating there is meant to be a pause from the waves yet they still continue, implying the waves are designed to be so hard intentionally to make you hold out till that break to repair, instead skipping that repair break but still having the difficulty remain on the assumption everything is 100% fixed when the wave starts again.