test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Release Notes, November 9

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2012 in Release Notes
Please note that we're going to be popping up a few tutorial pages about vehicles, and we're going to be porting everyone back to Ren Center so that that doesn't distract you if you respawn during combat.

Vehicles system update!
-Learn more about how to customize your vehicles
-Earn vehicle MODs in the "Assault on UNTIL Sky Command" mission
-Figure out how to get your vehicle and your vehicle MODs

The Reloaded update for Champions Online will introduce a brand-new, full-fledged vehicle system. Choose your vehicle's appearance and customize your vehicle powers.

Vehicle Upgrades
--Learn more about customizing your vehicle.
--Learn more about how you can get vehicle chasses and MODs.

Vehicle modifications come in three types: Weapon, Defense and Support. Slot these mods to increase your vehicle's "Offense" "Defense" and "Speed" rating. Support and Defensive mods can be increased in rank using the Fusion system. When ranked up, they will grant additional stat boosts/abilities.
-Camera is repositioned when vehicle is activated to improve line of sight/visibility
-Vehicle weapon powers can be slotted at will
-New vehicle customization UI window. By Ctrl + Right clicking on your vehicle icon, you will bring up a vehicle customization window that allows players to equip mods and weapon systems.
-Vehicle that update dynamically! Slot mods/weapons, and watch the stat bars increase
-Vehicles now have a 30 second cooldown.
-Max Plank is waiting for players in Ren Center to 'learn'em' how to acquire vehicles, and how to work their weapons and mods.

Hovertank Arsenal Lockbox
Critters and bosses throughout the game will occasionally drop lockboxes that contain one of the following rewards.
This box requires a Cosmic Key of Power to open.
-Cosmic Keys may be purchased in the C-store.

This box contains one of the following rewards:
* 75x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 1) + 1 resource/XP boost/Skill boost
* 50x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 2) + 1 resource/XP boost/Skill boost
* 25x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 3) + 1 resource/XP boost/Skill boost
* 10x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 4) + 1 resource/XP boost/Skill boost
* 1 Vehicle Weapon Mod + Vehicle MODs (10 Rank 4 or 5 Rank 5)
* 1 Hovertank Ridgeback with Heavy Cannon + Vehicle MODs (10 Rank 4 or 5 Rank 5)
* 1 Hovertank Manta with Plasma Beam + Vehicle MODs (10 Rank 4 or 5 Rank 5)
* 1 Hovertank Avalanche with Heavy Cannon and Incendiary Round + 5x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 5)

-Prototype Hawkwing jets updated with a Defense and Support MOD slot.
-For balance purposes, the range of prototype Hawkwing weapons has been reduced.
-Due to server instability cause by excessive speed, the prototypes' speed has been reduced.

"Assault on UNTIL Sky Command" mission
--Blog post is here!

Take flight against evil in existing content or in the new UNTIL Skycarrier Defense mission. Team up with your friends, and protect the carrier from onslaught of Dr. Destroyer's most formidable henchmen.
-The mission is available in the queue UI > Missions tab. The queue button is the gold fist icon that can be found to the left of the minimap.
-This mission requires 8 players to start, but is optimized for 10 skilled players.
-Although the mission is designed with vehicles in mind, players without vehicles can use the UNTIL hoverboards during them mission to participate in the battle!
-Reward incentives that increase based on player/team performance (keep more engines intact = get more goods). Players will have the chance to be rewarded with mods (among other things) to further power-up their vehicles, or player character!
-The 'Reload' mechanic has been made more responsive
-We won't spoil the boss at the end of the mission, but - once defeated - it will drop loot in addition to the rewards earned by successfully completing the mission.

Improved queue UI
The queue UI has been upgraded to include images of accessible content. The window size has also increased, and content type has been consolidated for improved user-flow.

Stability/performance
-Optimization to collision objects throughout various game maps to help improve game performance and load times.

Powers updates:
These changes were made with the goal to also improve gameplay of Archetypes
Celestial
-Imbue has now been reworked into an active offense. This power now grants up to 30% bonus critical chance and severity. This bonus is based upon your health at the time of activation.
-Players who owned Celestial Imbue prior to this update will receive a free respec at login.
-To retrain, head To the PowerHouse

Force
-IDF: This power should now layer on top of all other shields. Additionally this power has been improved by about 10% at rank 1, and now ranks up for about 20% per rank.
-Personal Force Field: This power should now layer under all other shields.
Field Surge: This power is layered on top of other shields, but below IDF
-Inertial Dampening Field: This power now correctly absorbs what is stated on the tooltip.

Archery
-Straight Shot: Damage increased by 10%, Energy Cost reduced by 10%
-Sonic Arrow: Damage increased by 10%, Energy Cost reduced by 5%
-Torrent of Arrows: Damage increased by 10%, Energy Cost reduced by 10%

Bestial
-Shred: Damage on the second strike increased by 10%, Damage on the third strike increased by 20%
-Frenzy: This power is now tagged as a Combo Power. Additionally, the energy cost decreases by 10% on the second strike and 20% on the third strike.

Munitions
-Two Gun Mojo: Damage increased by 60%, Now ignores 10% of target's piercing resistance.
-Bullet Beatdown: This power has had its damage increased on each strike by 5/7.5/12.5/15% (1st/2nd/3rd/4th strike). The melee version of the power is now properly tagged as a combo.
-Bullet Beatdown: This power no longer self roots during any strike.
-Lead Tempest: Damage increased by 10%. Miss chance reduced to 10%/25% (down from 25%/50%).

Gadgeteering
-Experimental Burst Ray: Damage increased by 5%, Overcharging now grants 40% damage per stack, up from 30%.

Ice
-Ice Blast: Damage increased by 10%, Energy Cost reduced by 10%
-Ice Cage: Periodic Damage of cages increased by 100%.
-Ice Cage: This power now scales with you as you get stronger.

Might
-Defensive Combo: The third strike of this power is now an 8ft AoE strike.

Fire
-Fire Strike: Damage increased by 10% and Clinging Flames chance increased to 25% (up from 10%).
-Fireball: Energy Cost reduced by 10%.
-Clinging Flames: Damage increased by 100%.
-Thermal Reverberation: This power should now return energy more reliably on multiple targets.

Content
-Added vehicle tutorial to Max Plank contact located in Ren Center.
-Changed rewards from the custom alert dailies to be a choice between tier 4 commendations and a pack of mods
-Hideout hot tub has been fixed!
-Added all-new vehicle pop-up tutorial at login.
-Warlord's Depleted Uranium Core will now work correctly.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Although not very promising drops from the boxes ranging from rank 1 - 4 rather than rank 3 - 7 mods that actually benefit our more worthwhile characters, the Until Carrier Defense will be fun to play all the time. Looking forward to see what this loot is from the special boss when defeated. Like its something new for the non-vehicle buffs.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'll tell you a secret..
    a bonus five-pack of support/defense MODs
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Force
    -IDF: This power should now layer on top of all other shields. Additionally this power has been improved by about 10% at rank 1, and now ranks up for about 20% per rank.
    -Inertial Dampening Field: This power now correctly absorbs what is stated on the tooltip.

Is the PFF regen buff not going through or was that bit left out by accident from the release notes?

From the previous PTS build:
    nisdiddums wrote: »
    Powers:
    Personal Force Field: The base regeneration of this power has been increased.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • strypewolvenstrypewolven Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As much as I love the power changes. And I do, don't get me wrong, you all are doing a lot of great things with the game. There is, however, one subject of increasing ire that is really beginning to bug me and starting to make me *regret* getting lifetime.

Please stop with the pay to win ideology you all have adopted.

Legion gear, you have to pay to get it, and even then it is a chance.

Now top-tier tanks, well tanks in general, but especially the top tier ones. Again, you have to pay and gamble to get them. Not everyone is made of money and while I understand the game needs revenue for improvements and maintence, this is going to end up driving off potential and current subscribers.

Not even WoW has adopted this. They have stuff you can buy sure, but it in no way affects the performance of your character. So I'm asking you, the devs of Cryptic, to rethink this dangerous road you've started on before it blows up in your face.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    And I ask you the same question I ask everyone else who trots out that tired old phrase.

What, exactly, are you paying to win? PvP isn't a terribly big part of this game; there are no special rewards for finishing missions faster; heck, even the open-world stuff seems to give rewards based on random chance rather than how you ranked. What's to "win"?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • strypewolvenstrypewolven Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    And I ask you the same question I ask everyone else who trots out that tired old phrase.

What, exactly, are you paying to win? PvP isn't a terribly big part of this game; there are no special rewards for finishing missions faster; heck, even the open-world stuff seems to give rewards based on random chance rather than how you ranked. What's to "win"?

You've clearly missed the point then. In that case let me simplify it for you.

Noone should *have* to pay to get the high-end things. It should be a fair chance for everyone, not just those that can shell out x amount of dollars. Before the legion gear, even silvers could get the Silver Champ gear at no rl cost to them outside of time to get the recogs needed.

Like I said, it's becoming pay to win, and I'm not liking it.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's "free to play" not "everything is free".

And regardless, your use of "pay to win" remains wrong.

The answer to this same old argument is pay to win is an expression meaning being able to pay real money for an ingame advantage.
  • jet777jet777 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I dunno, chief, having to pay for what amounts to a second (now customizable) powerset and built-in superflight that dwarfs even Jetpack/boots for speed seems awful similar to paying for a significant advantage on gameplay. Therefore, pay-to-win. It's not -quite- "Pay to get the best gear," but it's dangerously close to that line. And it's not a good line to cross.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    On a more positive note, I'm happy to see that some powers got some much-needed buffs... :redface:
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • vendincevendince Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I'm not complaining about the buff to IDF, since it's a power I actually use. Plus they didn't break any of my builds. :tongue:
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jet777 wrote: »
    I dunno, chief, having to pay for what amounts to a second (now customizable) powerset and built-in superflight that dwarfs even Jetpack/boots for speed seems awful similar to paying for a significant advantage on gameplay. Therefore, pay-to-win. It's not -quite- "Pay to get the best gear," but it's dangerously close to that line. And it's not a good line to cross.

Coming Soon(TM): Power Serum - Do 50% more damage for 3 minutes. ONLY 100 Zen each.

C'mon, you know I'm right. :frown:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • thetwilightedthetwilighted Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Coming Soon(TM): Power Serum - Do 50% more damage for 3 minutes. ONLY 100 Zen each.

[Heroic Might] comes in packs of 4 and 10, actually.
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't see how all these power changes matter when we have the same old missions from 3 years ago.
  • andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Are the legion gears still available from Takafones treasure chests?
    there is a problem with Nanobot Swarm power. It is stated there that at rank 1 it reduces the cooldown time on powers by 17seconds but I notice that th power only reduce cooldown time by 14 seconds.
    Is it possible for CRYPTIC to increase the damage and resistance for Miniaturixation Drive with Gizmo as advantage? Looking huge is a cooll power but it really does not give any meaningful bonus in combat besides getting gigantic size.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    With the drop rates on the lockboxes such as they are, it's less "pay to win" and more like "pay to be a sucker, over and over again".
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Are the legion gears still available from Takafones treasure chests?

At the moment yes, waiting on clarification on what the situation will be after the patch.

We were told they werent going anywhere anytime soon when they were added, now we are getting new lockboxes, but no word if its in addtion or replacing.

If replacing then legion gear will no longer be available - something we should have been informed of in advance.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Please note that we're going to be popping up a few tutorial pages about vehicles, and we're going to be porting everyone back to Ren Center so that that doesn't distract you if you respawn during combat.

Yay for rec cen teleport! I bet you Defender's voice will be hoarse from trying to ask every single hero if they have a moment :tongue:

--Blog post is here!

Take flight against evil in existing content or in the new UNTIL Skycarrier Defense mission. Team up with your friends, and protect the carrier from onslaught of Dr. Destroyer's most formidable henchmen.
    -The mission is available in the queue UI > Missions tab. The queue button is the gold fist icon that can be found to the left of the minimap.
    -This mission requires 8 players to start, but is optimized for 10 skilled players.
    -Although the mission is designed with vehicles in mind, players without vehicles can use the UNTIL hoverboards during them mission to participate in the battle!
    -Reward incentives that increase based on player/team performance (keep more engines intact = get more goods). Players will have the chance to be rewarded with mods (among other things) to further power-up their vehicles, or player character!
    -The 'Reload' mechanic has been made more responsive
    -We won't spoil the boss at the end of the mission, but - once defeated - it will drop loot in addition to the rewards earned by successfully completing the mission.

Improved queue UI
    The queue UI has been upgraded to include images of accessible content. The window size has also increased, and content type has been consolidated for improved user-flow.

Stability/performance
    -Optimization to collision objects throughout various game maps to help improve game performance and load times.

I can't wait to play this on LIVE! (Must do my essay first >_>)

Force

Pleeease tell me the PFF shield regeneration buff has been missed out here by accident and it's making it live today >_<!
    Munitions
    -Two Gun Mojo: Damage increased by 60%, Now ignores 10% of target's piercing resistance.
    -Bullet Beatdown: This power has had its damage increased on each strike by 5/7.5/12.5/15% (1st/2nd/3rd/4th strike). The melee version of the power is now properly tagged as a combo.
    -Lead Tempest: Damage increased by 10%. Miss chance reduced to 10%/25% (down from 25%/50%).

I like these changes, I have a question though. Will characters with these powers get a free respec token or will our pistols be "reloaded" for us automatically?
    Content
    -Changed rewards from the custom alert dailies to be a choice between tier 4 commendations and a pack of mods

I like the sound of this, will they scale with char level? i.e. lvl 35-40 get rank 5+ Mods? Or will they still be rank 3-4 mods?

Thanks for the release notes!
  • testsubject13testsubject13 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    On front page it says the server will be down for maint. at 7 am PDT/1400 UTC. I was under the impression its no longer Daylight savings time in US, so isnt those times conflicting if its supposed to say PST instead? :tongue:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    [Heroic Might] comes in packs of 4 and 10, actually.

LOL. Good point, forgot about those. :redface:

edited November 2012
    With the drop rates on the lockboxes such as they are, it's less "pay to win" and more like "pay to be a sucker, over and over again".

That's the thing I really don't understand. If they let me purchase what I want, esp. for the legacy devices, I would be a happy and spending real money customer.

But what they've implemented in their unbelievable greed and willingness to F'over their players simply leaves me an unhappy and spending nothing customer.

Strange business model. :confused:

• megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As i see the chest and box stuff. It's like what i say to others. You don't need to shell out money to buy these. But yes. Cryptic how about this as well. Can you please make it so the keys drop as well? So we don't have to always buy them? Also how about you also make it so we can get these mods without the chest. But that makes it so we have to farm for them.

Farming is not a bad issue to many and alot of people would prouply enjoy farming. So trail can offer this insight to them. Because in the long run these boxes and crap aint the best idea in the long run. Now i understand why their doing them. But also with the gear we should be able to get it. Without the chest and so forth just be farming them. But make the drop pretty low maybe?
  • bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Munitions!! ICE!! and archery all improved on *gasp*!!! you feeling ok cryptic???*jumps up and down like a school girl*
  • man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wooooo! love the changes to power sets.

I have a question is the teleport to the ren centre going to happen to every toon you log into or just the first on your account. I only need to read the tutorial pop ups once not on every character.
    I'm still really disappointed we can't colour the vehicles. They have unique patterns which is fine but there's a lot of characters I won't be getting vehicles for because they won't look right in them.

If you would do something about this then the whole system would have my blessing.

Brick_McDuggins in game.
  • mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wow! Thanks for all the bug fixes.

Well.. I mean, there's one.

But that's a start... right?

Who's with me?

right?

awww..

*kicks a rock*

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
    edited November 2012
    For those of you whining about the "pay to win" phrase someone coined.

If less people would freeload from the game.. a lot more of this content would go back to "free for gold".

Butt.. hey.

That's not going to happen.

Put the word "free" on something and people gravitate to it. Maybe just to figure out where the line of 'free' ends and the line of 'pay' begins.

And yes, having lots of 3, 6, 12 month subs and even LTS subscriptions helps a business know their income for those forseeable months. If they don't know what they'll be getting month to month.. it's hard to say, hey.. here's this content we made. Enjoy it for free for subbing.

Bacon Overlord

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hovertank Arsenal Lockbox
    Critters and bosses throughout the game will occasionally drop lockboxes that contain one of the following rewards.
    This box requires a Cosmic Key of Power to open.
    -Cosmic Keys may be purchased in the C-store.

This box contains one of the following rewards:
    * 75x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 1) + 1 resource/XP boost/Skill boost
    * 50x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 2) + 1 resource/XP boost/Skill boost
    * 25x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 3) + 1 resource/XP boost/Skill boost
    * 10x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 4) + 1 resource/XP boost/Skill boost
    * 1 Vehicle Weapon Mod + Vehicle MODs (10 Rank 4 or 5 Rank 5)
    * 1 Hovertank Ridgeback with Heavy Cannon + Vehicle MODs (10 Rank 4 or 5 Rank 5)
    * 1 Hovertank Manta with Plasma Beam + Vehicle MODs (10 Rank 4 or 5 Rank 5)
    * 1 Hovertank Avalanche with Heavy Cannon and Incendiary Round + 5x one Vehicle MOD (Rank 5)

Those better be flagged as common/white grade loot or it's going to be a HUGE annoyance. Again. Just like those Takofanes Caches.

--Blog post is here!

Yay! \o/

Improved queue UI

This is good, but I would have prefered the Auction House GUI get addressed first. It's in sore need of an update & simplification with the ability to search for specific stats or sort in descending order of price.

Stability/performance

Good but I'm afraid this will again break several missions/quests.

Powers updates:
    These changes were made with the goal to also improve gameplay of Archetypes
    Celestial
    -Imbue has now been reworked into an active offense. This power now grants up to 30% bonus critical chance and severity. This bonus is based upon your health at the time of activation.
    -Players who owned Celestial Imbue prior to this update will receive a free respec at login.
    -To retrain, head To the PowerHouse

Yay!

12% critical chance / 12% severity was what it was on the PTS, base. Scaled up when HP goes down seems inverted though, IMHO would make more sense to be highest scaled when you're at 100% HP. So much smarter having it as an active offense, the on-next-hit was long broken. Thank you!
    Force

This should make force users happy, but what about it's regen rate?

Archery
    -Straight Shot: Damage increased by 10%, Energy Cost reduced by 10%
    -Sonic Arrow: Damage increased by 10%, Energy Cost reduced by 5%
    -Torrent of Arrows: Damage increased by 10%, Energy Cost reduced by 10%

This will make archers VERY happy, a slight buff to their best powers.

Bestial
    -Shred: Damage on the second strike increased by 10%, Damage on the third strike increased by 20%
    -Frenzy: This power is now tagged as a Combo Power. Additionally, the energy cost decreases by 10% on the second strike and 20% on the third strike.

I'm going to love this on my regen tank! (Silverspar too I'd imagine)

Munitions

Wonderful! Dual pistols is finally getting an upgrade!

Gadgeteering
    -Experimental Burst Ray: Damage increased by 5%, Overcharging now grants 40% damage per stack, up from 30%.

Meh, teddy bears.

Ice
    -Ice Blast: Damage increased by 10%, Energy Cost reduced by 10%
    -Ice Cage: Periodic Damage of cages increased by 100%.
    -Ice Cage: This power now scales with you as you get stronger.

This will help out Glacier archetypes a lot. Yay!

Might
    -Defensive Combo: The third strike of this power is now an 8ft AoE strike.

This will REALLY help out any might tanks, Behemoth archetypes of freeforms using this power to hold agro. Big yay!!!

Fire
    -Fire Strike: Damage increased by 10% and Clinging Flames chance increased to 25% (up from 10%).
    -Fireball: Energy Cost reduced by 10%.
    -Clinging Flames: Damage increased by 100%.
    -Thermal Reverberation: This power should now return energy more reliably on multiple targets.

Fire has long needed a buff, but this wasn't it. What was needed was:
    • Increased energy return from Thermal Reverb
    • Fireball needs 100 ft range, not 50 ft.

Content

YES!!! Thank you for listening! *hugs*
    edited November 2012
    One last thing.

Someone tell me they know the prototype vehicles aren't getting the nerf I saw on the PTS?

Or that it's optional?

I'd rather dump all the weapons, all the functions of the jets we have and keep the SPEED, rather than go to no speed at all and only 2 mod slots.

But that's me...

Bacon Overlord

edited November 2012
    jet777 wrote: »

And.. where do you see this "super flight"?

The new vehicles are so slow it feels like you need to get out and push. At BEST I've seen them go between R2/R3 flight speed but I didn't really play with it beyond putting R3 speed mods in them (two of them) which give the highest speed boost out of the mods I could find.

Soo.. where is this superflight?

Just asking.

Bacon Overlord

• konamzkikonamzki Posts: 78
    edited November 2012
    and so it begins.. GG \m/ :biggrin:
    Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy.
    edited November 2012

The only ones that persistently complain about things in the game that aren't free are the silver account users. Not to be generalizing, but that's typically the case.

SUBSCRIBE.. get other people to subscribe.

And you'll start seeing these types of bennies pushed to the subscribers. We used to get content like this (BUG FREE EVEN) before F2P and didn't have to pay for it beyond our normal sub fees.

Bacon Overlord

edited November 2012
    At the moment yes, waiting on clarification on what the situation will be after the patch.

We were told they werent going anywhere anytime soon when they were added, now we are getting new lockboxes, but no word if its in addtion or replacing.

If replacing then legion gear will no longer be available - something we should have been informed of in advance.

They didn't go anywhere for awhile. They went way longer than the halloween event.

The way this has been handled in the past:

Items like stockings, anniversary boxes, nighthawk belts, drifter salvage boxes, earth aura grab bags, halloween grab bags, etc etc etc.. all have maintained their "content" permanently after an event has expired.

I would assume this will be the same. Given the fact that they are using the same keys, I think that's the point. As more and more different types of boxes are introduced with different content in them, we'll have much more flexibility of what to use our keys for.

Bacon Overlord

• pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »
    It's "free to play" not "everything is free".

And regardless, your use of "pay to win" remains wrong.

You're using that wrong. We're not talking about "everything free" we're talking about selling power.

The game. Regardless of the lack of a "competitiion based advantage," for lack of a better term, this is the same reason that games, and gamers, generally frown on buying a power leveled and fully geared max level character. You can try and frame the issue in any way you like, but in the end, they're selling power.

Don't sell power.

Skip to 5:20 if you're impatient.
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mensar wrote: »
    For those of you whining about the "pay to win" phrase someone coined.

If less people would freeload from the game.. a lot more of this content would go back to "free for gold".

Butt.. hey.

That's not going to happen.

Put the word "free" on something and people gravitate to it. Maybe just to figure out where the line of 'free' ends and the line of 'pay' begins.

And yes, having lots of 3, 6, 12 month subs and even LTS subscriptions helps a business know their income for those forseeable months. If they don't know what they'll be getting month to month.. it's hard to say, hey.. here's this content we made. Enjoy it for free for subbing.

Not sure why you think "freeloading" impacts whats free for gold. The only reason I've actually spent any money on this game is the sheer fact that it's F2P. The reason I've stopped is the constant flood of bugs and not seeing a new zone in the entire year I've been here, and the introduction of lockboxes and now this focus on vehicles and trying to monetize them in a game about superheroes.

You really can't stand on subs for justification for lack of content - before this game was F2P, I'm pretty sure I've heard the same complaints about bugs and lack of content were rampant then.
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pion01 wrote: »

Don't sell power.

Skip to 5:20 if you're impatient.

Wow - I never expected that little video to be so damn logical.
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They didn't go anywhere for awhile. They went way longer than the halloween event.

The way this has been handled in the past:

Items like stockings, anniversary boxes, nighthawk belts, drifter salvage boxes, earth aura grab bags, halloween grab bags, etc etc etc.. all have maintained their "content" permanently after an event has expired.

I would assume this will be the same. Given the fact that they are using the same keys, I think that's the point. As more and more different types of boxes are introduced with different content in them, we'll have much more flexibility of what to use our keys for.

Id hardly call 8 days a while, the impression given by TT was it was a permenent fixture, here until maybe someday it was removed, not here a cple weeks total.

There is a big difference between the removal of all the event vanity gear after the event and the removal of the legion gear, removing the best items in the game, unless they plan on putting them into one of the 10 different currencies they have and keep adding to instead of supporting, maybe new nemesis vendor items...
    edited November 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    Wow - I never expected that little video to be so damn logical.

This applies VERY well. I cannot believe this made so much sense!
    edited November 2012
    Just saying, I really hope this whole vehicle business doesnt leave a massively sour taste in peoples mouth..
  • xienthxienth Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So no Bikes this time, that makes me quite sad.
  • gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The only ones that persistently complain about things in the game that aren't free are the silver account users. Not to be generalizing, but that's typically the case.

And you'll start seeing these types of bennies pushed to the subscribers. We used to get content like this (BUG FREE EVEN) before F2P and didn't have to pay for it beyond our normal sub fees.

Of course, the majority of subscribers had already quit this game. There isn't a lot of them to complain anymore, sure.
    I don't know for you, but before i saw a lot of monthly subscribers. Now i just see some Lts (who can't cancel) and silver players. But subscribers who lasts more than 2 or 3 months, not a lot....
    This is why they have do a sales a few weeks ago. 3 months for the price of two, hey subs, we don't like you but needs you, come back please, sniff.

And why they has quit or leave again ? (because i can say you that some subs don't like the way of vehicules are introduced in game, the only content cryptic can do but alerts since avril 2012, or november 2011 with whiteout. And AGAIN, the subs must buy these vehicules even if they pays every month for almost no new playable content, or any other content they don't have to pay in store on top of subs. And in lock boxes for top tiers one : LOL)
    Why ? Caycepollard gives a good resume. And this will be more clear and comprehensive than my bad english. Read him.
    Wow! I can get my vehicle by paying money (via zen), by paying money (via buying keys to unlock lockboxes and collecting the salvage) or by paying money (via keys to open boxes, and actually winning a vehicle). Being a "monthly paying members", 'money for stuff' is not my gripe. It's paying for the lack of "things to do" with all these new shineys I could hypothetically pay for. :frown:

Ps: i'm pretty sure, a day, we will have vehicules R3 mods in lockboxes too.
    Or better, R3 mods already chassed in new vehicules, vehicules which will be a 1% reward and the others useless rank1 mod at 75% chance, for 100 zen each try.
    edited November 2012
    @TrailTurtle

Thanks for fixing that very rude post about GentleMan Crush in the Hero Games section! I was about to alert you to it.
    edited November 2012

Not a freaking chance. I subbed for 900 days, not an LTS... monthly. Cause I felt that devs working on a great game deserved to be paid.

Since On Alert I do not feel as though this dev team has earned my money, so my sub was cancelled. Plain and simple.

This is just further example. :frown:

edited November 2012
    Not a freaking chance. I subbed for 900 days, not an LTS... monthly. Cause I felt that devs working on a great game deserved to be paid.

Since On Alert I do not feel as though this dev team has earned my money, so my sub was cancelled. Plain and simple.

This is just further example. :frown:

Conversly, 27 days ago I was a Silver since F2P launched who spent alot on the game, I went gold on another account for a bit, enjoyed it and then went LTS on my Silver account.

I have hope that the game will improve.
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Disappointed that the glaring bug of picked up objects disappearing wasn't fixed.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • xienthxienth Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Munitions

-Bullet

So happy about this one. :biggrin:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    epelesker wrote: »
    Disappointed that the glaring bug of picked up objects disappearing wasn't fixed.
    I like it better this way. I don't have to angle my camera around to see the person I want to throw the car at.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I like it better this way. I don't have to angle my camera around to see the person I want to throw the car at.
    Sure, better convenience, I give you that, but hardly working as intended. I started playing two weeks before a patch broke it, and I miss seeing it work (because it was a new thing I could never do in CoH).
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You lied to us TT, the lockboxes messed up the drop tables. I've made a post in bugs section: Lockbox screwed up Sammie's Lost Dollies drop table
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Noone should *have* to pay to get the high-end things. It should be a fair chance for everyone, not just those that can shell out x amount of dollars.

Except, the full game is now free to play. It's not like some other F2P game (going F2P next week) that charges you for UI elements like action bars; or to sprint; or so you can even wear/use the high end drops you got.

CO blocks nothing mission content wise at all; doesn't block leveling progress behind a pay gate, etc. How do they make their money, by offering extras that AREN'T needed to progress in the game, but that can make the game easier in some respects. If stuff like that were available for free (like the other free content); they would make any money whatsoever. Also, if they put lacklustere items that were worse then what you could get just by playing the agme; same result, no one would buy anything, and they wouldn't make any money.

It seems any time they add items that somebody really wants, but doesn't feel like they should have to pay for it, the trot out the "OMG! Pay to win..." line.

(BTW you do know you can actually buy Zen on the Questionite Exchange with Questioite you can earn in game; and STILL buy that Tank you'd like without spending a real-world dime; but I guess the fact you have to play the game and it will take more than a single session to earn enough Zen via that route = too hard, or 'pay to win' too.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."