test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suddenly: GPU doesnt support Effects? Please help!

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited October 2012 in PC & Technical Issues
Ok theres something that has been bugging me for a few days now.

I started playing CO in february. but left to go play WoW for a few months and now im back. before when i played the game i could play with decent settings and effects running completely fine. and i still can. the problem now is suddenly my effects area is greyed out with the game stating that my GPU cannot support the "effects" (i.e. bloom, particles etc.) which i know isnt true because i see all the effects all the time on powers etc. i now simply cannot see bloom effects on my own character or others i assume. (eyeglows, armor glows, etc) They were NOT greyed out before.

and before you ask. yes i have updated the drivers. however the intel website is saying it DOES have a more up to date driver however it refuses to install it on my laptop because apparently and i quote: "A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer." (which i did and i updated however that driver seems to no longer be updated. the last update for toshibas version is from like 2009....

i know this isnt a serious problem and doesnt effect if i can play the game or not, but i like things pretty and its annoying me to no end. i have searched high and low to see if cryptic updated the graphics engine or something to a point that my computer cant handle it. but have found no such information. can anyone tell me whats going on or if there is a way to bypass this so i can have my glows and effects back? i know its a laptop so it cant do everything but it makes no sense that my computer suddenly cant handle something it could only a couple months ago if cryptic has not updated the graphic engine?

My stats: please let me know if more info is needed.

Satellite M305-S49052 Specifications

Performance

PROCESSOR*
Intel® Pentium® Processor Dual CPU T3400

OPERATING SYSTEM*
Genuine Windows 7 (SP1, 64-bit)

GRAPHICS ENGINE*
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (mobile intel 4 series express chipset family)

GRAPHICS MEMORY*
128MB-1759MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Memory and Storage

MEMORY*
4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM

HARD DRIVE*
320GB HDD (5400rpm

Any help you can provide would be monumentally appreciated. im not sure if i can bypass the custom lock toshiba has put on my computer card or if that would mess up things severely but thats why im leaving that up to you guys.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Scesmoon wrote:
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

There's your problem. Performance from Intel integrated graphics is erratic, and can range from "very slow but it works" to "completely fails to run". Intel graphics drivers are notoriously awful, and those graphics are rather dated by now.

I'm not sure why it would switch from allowing your integrated graphics to try to run some effects to not allowing it. Maybe it was sometimes causing crashes on that graphics chip when enabled, so Cryptic decided to disable it. But that's just a guess, so it could easily be wrong. A lot of people have come here with Intel graphics saying, I can't get the game to run at all, though those people tend to have graphics a generation or two older than yours.

For future reference, if you want to play games on a system, don't get Intel graphics in the computer. The relatively higher end integrated graphics that AMD builds into their processors (the first such chip launches very soon) should handle games just fine, both because of the much better hardware, and much better drivers. A discrete video card from AMD or Nvidia will also have vastly better drivers than Intel graphics, though you might want to avoid the low end cards that aren't meant for gaming.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Quaternion wrote:
    There's your problem. Performance from Intel integrated graphics is erratic, and can range from "very slow but it works" to "completely fails to run". Intel graphics drivers are notoriously awful, and those graphics are rather dated by now.

I'm not sure why it would switch from allowing your integrated graphics to try to run some effects to not allowing it. Maybe it was sometimes causing crashes on that graphics chip when enabled, so Cryptic decided to disable it. But that's just a guess, so it could easily be wrong. A lot of people have come here with Intel graphics saying, I can't get the game to run at all, though those people tend to have graphics a generation or two older than yours.

For future reference, if you want to play games on a system, don't get Intel graphics in the computer. The relatively higher end integrated graphics that AMD builds into their processors (the first such chip launches very soon) should handle games just fine, both because of the much better hardware, and much better drivers. A discrete video card from AMD or Nvidia will also have vastly better drivers than Intel graphics, though you might want to avoid the low end cards that aren't meant for gaming.

I just want it run like it did before :<, and yes i know intel isnt the best but i didnt really have a choice, the computer was given to me. if it were my choice it would have been AMD or Nvidia all the way. ATI seems to suck also. but regardless doesnt explain why i suddenly cant do something that was working FINE a couple months ago. cryptic has not updated the graphics engine (from what i can see.) so it should work just as good as it did then. this is frustrating.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    woot fixed everything. bypassed the custom setting by uninstalling the driver altogether and installing the new updated one. i has glowies again
  • Options
    konamzkikonamzki Posts: 78
    edited October 2012
    sigh suddenly today my graphics went to **** dunno why grr can help me pls?

graphcis card NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT:frown:
    Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Since we don't know what '****' means, we cannot help you. I can guess the word, but that doesn't help.
    Started playing elevator music? Shooting deathrays? Something to do with game effects? (since you posted on old thread)
    What you were doing? Spraying water on it? Poking it with sharp objects?
    All these are guesses for the lack of information.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    http://i48.tinypic.com/2wly8e9.png

see the pic it went to hell not like a couple of days with all high settings and i have no problem just now when change costume it went to that wtf?
    Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    wanna see the video a couple of months ill let you see

see the differnce? see what i mean? it went to comicness crap
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7EeZZm0eM
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    here another video of me a couple of months showing to my friends what a nice game champions online and the graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzUDMqciPhw
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Went to 'comicness crap'?
    So you have now the Comiclines on? Or what?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but by the sound of it, you need to turn off Comic Outlines in the advanced video settings. And maybe turn up your AntiAliasing to 2x or 4x.