New Vehicle + Carrier Defense Preview

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2012 in Super News Network
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    defalusdefalus Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I checked this out now for the first time a few moments ago and I like my new bike... can I keep it?:biggrin:

Pretty please.:frown:

Needs bigger handlebars btw.:tongue:
    And the hands are twisted to an weird angle. Looks really painful position.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wait...Those ships look oddly familiar...
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited October 2012

When it first loaded I thought chrome had throwin a wobbly and loaded a picture from the GW site (which i had been on)
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    defalus wrote: »

Oh, we actually do sit on the saddle? RAD!
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    johhotajohhota Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Liking the bike or perhaps liking that it shows your champion rather than having an enclosed thing. Now that is something I'm willing to spend money on. (not yet 'cause I'm having money problems which is why I'm not gold atm but hopefully soon)
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Will the Grav Bikes be customizable? Like, can you change it's color?
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I dunno - puts me more in mind of the ships of the Valuan Empire...
    http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/images/thumb/1/15/Skies_of_Arcadia_ships.jpg/400px-Skies_of_Arcadia_ships.jpg
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jonsills wrote: »

/e shakes fist, runs off to play Skies of Arcadia again :P
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2012
    What a nice looking Games Workshop's ship.
    So game is no longer copying only Star Wars?
    Good, we need more diversity with lack of originality. :biggrin:

Really nice bike, though. Now, use this mechanic for VIPER hover bike, people were asking about that bike.
  • Options
    hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    psst TT, how about giving us something final on what you guys are giving out to current jet owners? The bike is pretty sweet though, definitely getting one.
  • Options
    leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hubrix wrote: »
    psst TT, how about giving us something final on what you guys are giving out to current jet owners?

How about giving the early adoptors something special. Like having their character on the jets, like Thor's intro in The Avengers by landing on a moving Quinjet.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Just jumped into PTS to check out the Grav Bike. Me likey.

What was really cool was flying the bike over someplace I wanted to go, then turning it off and activating Cape Glide on the way down...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm interested in knowing what's the reason why we are on the carrier. What's the cargo? Is it something important enough for Dr. D to attack? There needs to be more exposition than just "you're on a flying cruiser, defend it".

Regardless it looks and plays amazingly epic. Can't wait for the knock issues to be fixed so the Mega Destroyer doesn't fly into the horizon and falls and glitches on the "floor" of the area.
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I hope you're careful with knocking off the Games Workshop look-and-feel. Those guys employ more lawyers than sculptors and artists for their miniatures :\

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm sorry, I still don't see where this is any greater resemblance to Games Workshop than to Skies of Arcadia, or even Space Battleship Yamato (or, as it was known here in the States, Star Blazers). Games Workshop was hardly the first group to imagine making an ocean-going warship fly...

• Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm sorry, I still don't see where this is any greater resemblance to Games Workshop than to Skies of Arcadia, or even Space Battleship Yamato (or, as it was known here in the States, Star Blazers). Games Workshop was hardly the first group to imagine making an ocean-going warship fly...

I had to look up those other two references, Jonsills (I'm not a fan of Japanese art / manga). Have a look at the GW store page for Battlefleet Gothic / Imperial Navy sub-section. Link here: BF Gothic

I'm just saying that GW have shown themselves to be very agressive in protecting their intellectual property, so I hope Cryptic / PWE knows what it's doing. If people first look at a new thing and think "...hey, that looks like blahblah from Games Workshop" as their first reaction, then how long do you think it's going to be before someone comes knocking with a C&D?

Who knows, maybe I'm just being the Devils' Advocate here.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    wacky99 wrote: »
    I had to look up those other two references, Jonsills (I'm not a fan of Japanese art / manga). Have a look at the GW store page for Battlefleet Gothic / Imperial Navy sub-section. Link here: BF Gothic

I'm just saying that GW have shown themselves to be very agressive in protecting their intellectual property, so I hope Cryptic / PWE knows what it's doing. If people first look at a new thing and think "...hey, that looks like blahblah from Games Workshop" as their first reaction, then how long do you think it's going to be before someone comes knocking with a C&D?

Who knows, maybe I'm just being the Devils' Advocate here.

...Aaaaand this is why Intellectual Property Law needs to be tied up and shot to death by a firing squad.

In video games alone, I can think of Final Fantasy as one of the first places I saw something along the lines of flying boats. Pretty sure they were copying someone, too, who was copying someone else, who in turn was probably copying someone else. Even if by accident, everything you can think of has been done before, in some fashion. No point in even defending it.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was under the impression Lucas did the same, so i wasn't surprised when my comments off the vehicle page, and the response to, were removed from the announcement. All i said was "lucas was going to sue somebody" jokingly of course.

i can understand that Champions allows a lot of leeway for the homage to greater things as part of the customization that makes this game fun, but at the same time i'm a little disappointed that there isn't more originality being tossed in there as well. Fans are posting pictures here on the forums of great ideas for vehicles and all that aren't such direct rips from other IP's. Although i will admit that i do like them finally adding the rider to the speeder bi.... grav bike, although god forbid anyone in white and black armor is seen riding it.

My question is what other types of vehicles will we be getting in down the road and is this the final set up for the "vehicle system"? I know i can' be the only one who will be disappointed if they're just glorified become devices.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I tested out the grav bike. I don't recall speeder bikes having huge jet engines on the back, or pointed cowlings on the front. (In fact, the front of the speeder bike was a bare armature, projecting out much further than the nose of a grav bike, in the form of two poles with a pair of plates on the far ends.)

I think some folks are jumping to conclusions because of the vaguest of resemblances. It would be like Marvel trying to sue the US Army because their soldiers carry assault rifles, just like the Punisher...

Edited to add: And no, Lucas wasn't the first to come up with hoverbikes, either. That concept dates back at least as far as Niven's novel Ringworld, and the flycycles employed by the protagonists. (At least grav bikes aren't equipped with holographic intercom relays, built-in toilets/recyclers, or food-brick dispensers - as far as I know...)

• Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I tested out the grav bike. I don't recall speeder bikes having huge jet engines on the back, or pointed cowlings on the front. (In fact, the front of the speeder bike was a bare armature, projecting out much further than the nose of a grav bike, in the form of two poles with a pair of plates on the far ends.)

I think some folks are jumping to conclusions because of the vaguest of resemblances. It would be like Marvel trying to sue the US Army because their soldiers carry assault rifles, just like the Punisher...

Edited to add: And no, Lucas wasn't the first to come up with hoverbikes, either. That concept dates back at least as far as Niven's novel Ringworld, and the flycycles employed by the protagonists. (At least grav bikes aren't equipped with holographic intercom relays, built-in toilets/recyclers, or food-brick dispensers - as far as I know...)

well no, but at the same time the expanded universe as well as the shows have a lot of variations on the speeder bikes, some of which do have large boxes on the back. not quite jets, but close in look. The hover tank however is a spot on Droid AAT, which i was never really a fan of here nor there.

I realize that he's not the inventor of, but he is the most likely to pursue a game with a lawsuit, which is why i brought up that the forums have a lot of more original suggestions for hoverbikes than just the most obvious.

True though on the last bit, although i'd preferred if they'd copied the vehicle system from the game that would have those things in it. At least that way it would be more customization in terms of looks and abilities.

Other than the Bike and the tank, are there any new vehicle styles coming to PTS though?
  • Options
    xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited October 2012

...And thankfully, there's nothing in CO so large that staring over the side of your hoverbike for a prolonged amount of time will leave you in a semi-catatonic state due to being dazed by the sheer neverending size of it. Also, no fields of plants that reflect the sunlight as a defense mechanism, burning off your flesh and possibly fur if you inadvertently fly over them.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2012
    UNTIL air carrier itself isn't too similar to the GW ships. It doesn't have gothic catedrals as its quarterdecks, nor imperial eagles. And this kind of ship's bow isn't GW invention - it was copied by steampunk artists from XIX century warships.

BUT, this concept art is VERY GW style and should be replaced with something less similar. Because one look at it screams GW Battlefleet Gothic.

Though I can't understand why UNTIL carrier is steampunkish. Should be more similar to the modern navy carriers.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    But then it would be a copy of Marvels S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier....

If you really want to look similar things on stuff in games, everything is copied from something somewhere.
  • Options
    auldwolfauldwolf Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've been so excited by this. I've been waiting for it to hit live, but I don't know if I can do that any longer. It sounds absolutely awesome. And if it is as awesome as it sounds, then pass my kudos along to the team, TT.

I feel they don't get enough credit for what they do. And after the depressing and cynical experience that GW2 was... I've come to really appreciate what you guys have done and are doing for this game.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »
    ...And thankfully, there's nothing in CO so large that staring over the side of your hoverbike for a prolonged amount of time will leave you in a semi-catatonic state due to being dazed by the sheer neverending size of it. Also, no fields of plants that reflect the sunlight as a defense mechanism, burning off your flesh and possibly fur if you inadvertently fly over them.
    You know, a field of Slaver sunflowers would explain why nobody's found that island of bird-people yet.. :smile:

• Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2012
    hubrix wrote: »
    psst TT, how about giving us something final on what you guys are giving out to current jet owners? The bike is pretty sweet though, definitely getting one.

Still hasn't been 100% finalized. It's almost there -- the plan just needs a stamp of approval -- but I can't announce it until everything's squared away.

Can't wait for the knock issues to be fixed so the Mega Destroyer doesn't fly into the horizon and falls and glitches on the "floor" of the area.

I'll bring that up with the devs, make sure they know. Thanks for the feedback -- if you have any additional details, please let me know.
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually I think the whole thing is kinda ridiculous. I saw someone knocking Crusher like 200 feet with some kind of black hole thing, which is about to be fixed. I shot down three of those vehicles with my own powers outside of the alert instead of piloting a vehicle; my health stayed near 100%. I guess that last part kind of makes sense, since we're superheroes... but why are the vehicles so squishy? :P

I don't want to give all my characters the ability to fly or use only my flying characters for it to be fun. Why take interest in the challenge when it's not even challenging without vehicles?
  • Options
    tymmistertymmister Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Still hasn't been 100% finalized. It's almost there -- the plan just needs a stamp of approval -- but I can't announce it until everything's squared away.

I'll bring that up with the devs, make sure they know. Thanks for the feedback -- if you have any additional details, please let me know.

Is your character actually shown on the bike?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Check Post #2.