test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A couple days away from my first 40- Looking for guidance.

oneheadedboyoneheadedboy Posts: 85 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Builds and Roles
I need help filling in a couple of blanks on my final build. I'm also not sure if I spread out my tree points optimally, and I'm not sure that I selected the most optimal characteristics.

I've been told that I need either

-A separate ST attack. I'd like one that goes with the rest of my build, but only if it will put out more damage than tap-spamming Ricochet Throw. That's how I've been leveling with decent success, but if there's something better I saved a power choice.

-Another AOE attack. I did some lurking and saw that some people used non-charge AOE's in addition to Ricochet. This seems like a good call for clearing henchman quickly, but I'm not sure what the best power would be.

If one or both isn't necessary I'd love to hear other suggestions. Anyways, here's the build I've come up with thus far.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Sureshot
Level 6: Academics
Level 9: Coordinated
Level 12: Shooter
Level 15: Acrobat
Level 18: Sniper Training
Level 21: Field Ops Training

Powers:
Level 1: Boomerang Toss
Level 1:
Level 6: Ricochet Throw (Rank 2, Microelectronic Controllers)
Level 8: Concentration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Quarry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 17: Masterful Dodge (Unfettered Strikes)
Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 23: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
Level 26: Lock N Load (Rank 2)
Level 29: Evasive Maneuvers
Level 32: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 35: Munitions Bots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38:

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2)
Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Power Swell (1/2)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (1/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (1/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (1/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Tenacious (1/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (1/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

I'm close to 40 on my character and I'm wondering about the free retcon I'll get once I'm there. I know some of them work differently than others, but is the one for hitting the level cap going to allow me to re-choose my superstats? I am going to need to switch one of them out for my final build and I'm not sure if I will have to buy a separate retcon or not. Right now I'm Dex/Con/Ego and I think I should switch to Dex/Int Ego.

Second, I've been saving all my currencies as I've leveled. How much of each thing will I be needing to get good gear? Is there a comprehensive list of gear somewhere, or could I just get some suggestions as to what's good/bad, etc?

I will be continuing to focus on ranged damage with Dex as my superstat. With the absence of any character builder that displays real numbers per build, could I get some guidance as to what totals I should be aiming for on each attribute? Flat out gear recommendations would be great too.

I think I have a general idea of how mods work but I don't understand DR in this game. I would love it if someone could to speak to me as if I were a child and explain to me how I should go about putting my character together at the level cap.

Thanks for helping me out with this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by oneheadedboy on

Comments

• mauk2mauk2 Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I Am Not an Expert, but....

Here's what I'd do:

Name:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 6: Academics
    Level 9: Coordinated
    Level 12: Shooter
    Level 15: Acrobat
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Wordly

Powers:
    Level 1: Ricochet Throw (Rank 2, Microelectronic Controllers)
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 8: Quarry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 14: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 17: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Dark Displacement)
    Level 20: Masterful Dodge (Unfettered Strikes)
    Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 26: Lock N Load (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Evasive Maneuvers
    Level 32: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 35: Munitions Bots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Bolas (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Acrobatics (Versatility)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)

Reasoning: Concentration doesn't need ranks.

Another AOE: Shadow Embrace is a nice big cone, so after you evasive maneuvers, you can get the whole crowd chasing after you in one shot. Even better, with the advantage it's a more-than-decent crowd control, doing knockdown frequently and sticking them with fear, which debuffs their attack strength. Little known fact about knocks: they interrupt charge attacks (usually), and so this AOE knockdown power is much better than it sounds defensively. Might fit your concept, might not. Up to you. :)

Another ST: Bola's are throwy-things, which you seem to like, and even better, they apply a hold as well. That couple of seconds of pause can let you scamper around a corner, or drop the baddie. Also, holds interrupt as well. So if you don't want to drop your dps with blocking, pop the baddy with a bola to stop the charge attacks. (usually)

Gear: Mods drop up to about rank 5. It takes 5 rank fives to make a rank 6. It takes 25 to make a rank 7, and 125 to make a rank 8, plus a ton of other reagents to avoid losing any of these VERY precious things.

Primary gear can have two slots in the junk that drops during leveling. My strategy has been: Put a two-slot primary in all three slots, the best ones I can find from drops. Slot each slot with a rank 4, 5, or 6 looking for what I want most. You'd be looking for dex, ego, con, crit chance, that sort of thing.

Secondary gear, I generally look for a good mix of stats, and try to get a level 40 purple piece in all three slots. Failing that, I look for the biggest yellow numbers I can find and am sure to grab some crit chance.

All this is dropped loot. Running UNITY missions gets you Silver currency, which you can use to buy good purple gear from the recognition vendor.

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Champions_Recognition_Store

The Takofanes caches dropping right now require real money to unlock, but have a chance to give primary gear with 4 slots. To put it mildly, this is good.

The good secondary's you buy in the questionite store:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Questionite_Store

Ignore the blue crap: get the purple stuff. If you can't afford that, then the 11,000Q pieces are designed to be put on lowby toons and level up with them. Even at the top end, it's not terrible stuff, and you can bank it and put it on other toons. (Get a shared bank, in your hideout.)

CO uses a WOW-esque mechanic by 'grading you on a curve'. Namely, the game is weighted at each level to penalize you if your gear is sub-par, and reward you if it is better than average. This is why the fairly small gains for rank 7 and better mods is a big deal: The gain is small, but each gain is pulling you higher and higher above the expected curve, so you get rewarded.

That said, using patchwork dropped blues and purples, I find I can run any content I want to.

Have fun with it! :D
  • r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I also am nearing 40 on my "boomerang" build... he's 36 and just finished Vibora Bay crisis (started at 34).

This is how I have him planned (gearing for avoidance/dodge & crit):

Name: Royo

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Marksman
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Sniper Training
    Level 12: Martial Training
    Level 15: Survival Training
    Level 18: Field Ops Training
    Level 21: Jack of All Trades

Powers:
    Level 1: Ricochet Throw (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 14: Throwing Blades (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3) (MSA!)
    Level 20: Gas Pellets (Oversized Pellet Bag) (MSA!)
    Level 23: Smoke Grenade (Escape Artist) (MSA!)
    Level 26: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3) (MSA!)
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 32: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
    Level 35: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Sonic Device

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Swinging (Rank 2, Flippin')

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Tinkering (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)
    Lots of quick-recharge powers that are not only useful, but trigger Molecular Self-Assembly (MSA!). Most of the time, ricochet throw from hide is enough to wipe out most things. On challenging Alerts, gas pellets / strafing run are surprisingly good (stealth is spotty, but if/when it works, assassin strike is also nice).

I was surprised to learn that TAP-SPAMMING throw blades is CHEAPER than tap-spamming ricochet throw! It's also AoE (but shorter range), and hits about as hard. So my spam-attack is actually throw blades.

Do not over-look Gas Pellets. It is an incredible power, but has a bit of a learning curve.

-r0y
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oneheadedboyoneheadedboy Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mauk2 wrote: »
    Reasoning: Concentration doesn't need ranks.

Ah I didn't know that. I'm still ironing out the details of the game quite a bit as you can see. I appreciate the help.
    Another AOE: Shadow Embrace is a nice big cone, so after you evasive maneuvers, you can get the whole crowd chasing after you in one shot. Even better, with the advantage it's a more-than-decent crowd control, doing knockdown frequently and sticking them with fear, which debuffs their attack strength. Little known fact about knocks: they interrupt charge attacks (usually), and so this AOE knockdown power is much better than it sounds defensively. Might fit your concept, might not. Up to you. :)

I don't think Shadow Embrace fits conceptually with the build, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for future projects. Also, doesn't it do dimensional damage, meaning that Quarry won't buff it as optimally?
    Another ST: Bola's are throwy-things, which you seem to like, and even better, they apply a hold as well. That couple of seconds of pause can let you scamper around a corner, or drop the baddie. Also, holds interrupt as well. So if you don't want to drop your dps with blocking, pop the baddy with a bola to stop the charge attacks. (usually)

Throwy things are indeed cool in my book. :smile: I was actually avoiding any mez powers since I read that mez is a bit underpowered in this game. As an attack, will it do more ST damage than tapping Ricochet Throw?
    Gear: Mods drop up to about rank 5. It takes 5 rank fives to make a rank 6. It takes 25 to make a rank 7, and 125 to make a rank 8, plus a ton of other reagents to avoid losing any of these VERY precious things.

Primary gear can have two slots in the junk that drops during leveling. My strategy has been: Put a two-slot primary in all three slots, the best ones I can find from drops. Slot each slot with a rank 4, 5, or 6 looking for what I want most. You'd be looking for dex, ego, con, crit chance, that sort of thing.

Secondary gear, I generally look for a good mix of stats, and try to get a level 40 purple piece in all three slots. Failing that, I look for the biggest yellow numbers I can find and am sure to grab some crit chance.

All this is dropped loot. Running UNITY missions gets you Silver currency, which you can use to buy good purple gear from the recognition vendor.

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Champions_Recognition_Store

The Takofanes caches dropping right now require real money to unlock, but have a chance to give primary gear with 4 slots. To put it mildly, this is good.

The good secondary's you buy in the questionite store:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Questionite_Store

Ignore the blue crap: get the purple stuff. If you can't afford that, then the 11,000Q pieces are designed to be put on lowby toons and level up with them. Even at the top end, it's not terrible stuff, and you can bank it and put it on other toons. (Get a shared bank, in your hideout.)

CO uses a WOW-esque mechanic by 'grading you on a curve'. Namely, the game is weighted at each level to penalize you if your gear is sub-par, and reward you if it is better than average. This is why the fairly small gains for rank 7 and better mods is a big deal: The gain is small, but each gain is pulling you higher and higher above the expected curve, so you get rewarded.

That said, using patchwork dropped blues and purples, I find I can run any content I want to.

Have fun with it! :D

This is all fantastic information, and exactly what I was looking for. I've been saving up MCPD, Primus and Until recognition this whole time, hoping that I could use it for my final build. I'm assuming it can't be converted to the silver stuff, hah. I also have all my Questionite saved from various mission rewards and doing all of the comics/adventure packs as I've leveled, so hopefully that will put a decent dent on the secondary gear.

Another quick gear question, because this is something that I've been confused by in game too. I see that one piece of the purple primary gear gives +dex and another gives +crit. This distinction is very convoluted to me as I thought the purpose of dex WAS +crit. I don't understand the need or purpose of denoting them separately since it seems redundant to me, and I have no idea which one is actually better.

As I indicated in my OP, I'm still unsure about whether I'll be able to swap my Superstats with the level 40 retcon or if I'll have to buy a separate one. Also, I'm not sure that I picked ideal characteristics or slotted up my spec trees advantageously. Any advice in these departments would be great. I would like to actually understand the reasoning behind it too so I don't face this dilemma in the future.
    r0y0 wrote: »
    This is how I have him planned (gearing for avoidance/dodge & crit):Lots of quick-recharge powers that are not only useful, but trigger Molecular Self-Assembly (MSA!).

About this- I figured that with switching INT to one of my superstats and between 2 active offenses, a self heal and an active defense this would be enough to feed MSA and keep my energy up. Was I mistaken on that?
    Most of the time, ricochet throw from hide is enough to wipe out most things. On challenging Alerts, gas pellets / strafing run are surprisingly good (stealth is spotty, but if/when it works, assassin strike is also nice).

I thought AS was a melee attack? Since I've built around ranged play I thought the consensus was that melee will not synergize well.
    I was surprised to learn that TAP-SPAMMING throw blades is CHEAPER than tap-spamming ricochet throw! It's also AoE (but shorter range), and hits about as hard. So my spam-attack is actually throw blades.

Hmm. If Bolas won't put out as much ST damage as RT, I guess I could pick up Throwing Blades for ST damage, but my research throughout the forums indicated that the consensus was having TB and RT on the same build was largely considered wasteful.
    Do not over-look Gas Pellets. It is an incredible power, but has a bit of a learning curve.

-r0y

I will definitely check it out, thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here's a the frame work that I start with with all my range dps toons... it works for almost all range builds(PA likes it that way):

Name: Generic PvE Range DPS Framework (just add attacks/passive/energy unlock)

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary) With the right spec trees and gear, you don't need too much dex
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary) Get as much as possible(imo) for energy(no need for energy builder) and concentration
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary) Get as much REC as your playstyle requires, I like to always have my bar almost filled at rest

Talents:
    Level 6: Agile
    Level 9: Brilliant
    Level 12: Tireless
    Level 15: Coordinated
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Negotiator

Powers:
    Level 1: Strafe
    Level 1: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
    Level 8: Passive
    Level 11: Ice Sheath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 17: Masterful Dodge
    Level 20: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Smoke Grenade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Attack 1(single target)
    Level 32: Attack 2(AoE)
    Level 35: Energy unlock, Overdrive if you have only maintain/PA attacks or MSI for all the rest
    Level 38: Whatever else you need/want

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation
    Level 35: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (1/3) Filler
    Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2) I hate AoEs and sometimes AoEs are the only thing hitting you while you attack from 51'-120' range
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2) Helps with the no energy builder needed thing
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3) +Damage
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2) +Damage
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3) +Damage
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3) Filler
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3) +Damage
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3) +Damage
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3) +Defence
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2) +Damage
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3) +Damage
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3) +Defence
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1) +Damage

Just modify it to fit your theme. I find that this, or something close to this set-up, always works for all my DPS range toons. I get all INT mods for my gear except for one REC secondary piece. For example my Fiery Form toon has the following stats: 135DEX 479INT 105REC an all other stats 10. That's with all purple Silver Recognition gear. He has 41.9%crit chance 118.5%crit severity from DEX + Critical Stike Offence gear. 39.9% Dodge chance, 60% Avoidance from Avoidance primary defense gear + dodge chance mod. With all than INT and cooldown reduction Utility gear you always have one active Offence and one active Defense up and no need for your Energy Builder. It will work fine as is for PA, but there are ways of making a PA build better. And always remember that most mobs have different attacks at different ranges, they hit a lot softer the farther you are. Being in 51'-120' is optimal for easier survival, and with no need for an energy builder you can stay at that range forever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted
    About this- I figured that with switching INT to one of my superstats and between 2 active offenses, a self heal and an active defense this would be enough to feed MSA and keep my energy up. Was I mistaken on that?
    Active Offenses and Defenses have long recharge times, and MSA is effected when powers come off recharge. So having something (useful, too) that recharges quickly (like smoke grenade, conviction, gas pellets and bionic shielding) gives more energy / extended MSA buff time.
    I thought AS was a melee attack? Since I've built around ranged play I thought the consensus was that melee will not synergize well.
    The AS attack (Shadow Strike, actually, it's called) does not really seem effected much by anything; though I can be wrong. My range-specific toon gets 12K or so regularly, which is still huge... plus it comes with the passive (Night Warrior), so I use it situationally.
    Hmm. If Bolas won't put out as much ST damage as RT, I guess I could pick up Throwing Blades for ST damage, but my research throughout the forums indicated that the consensus was having TB and RT on the same build was largely considered wasteful.
    I think it is considered wasteful as RT is at least as good (if not better) as a ranged AoE than the actual ranged AoE power of TB. That said, look at them: RT costs more (low-end) and does about as much damage, but will only be 1 boomerang (have to charge it to get it to bounce); whereas TB is AoE when tapped or charged. If it is a FULLY CHARGED situation, then RT > TB always. If it's tap-spam, I prefer TB > RT - but it's not a huge difference. TB is easy to pass up, RT is really NOT to ever pass up! If I could only pick one, it'd be RT, but I would make darn sure I had gas pellets! So much fun with those!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oneheadedboyoneheadedboy Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really appreciate all the insight- Unfortunately I had less time to play this week than I anticipated. I decided to spend more free time beginning the process of putting together videos for my COH characters so I have yet to hit the magic number on my character here. I'll definitely be referencing this thread frequently throughout the retcon process though.

Also, if anyone has answers for my yet to be addressed questions, it would be greatly appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]