test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warlords Burn Patches.

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,092 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Can we have his patches disappear after 10 secs of killing someone in them? It is rather disheartening to die in one then have a healer try to rez you or you rez yourself and get killed instantly.

I am all for challenging bosses, but coupled with lockout and neverending burn patches, I feel Warlord is a bit too annoying.

He fires off those burn bombs very quickly and I think they have some insane defense penetration or something to make me die that fast on an unbreakable, Invuln tank with 9k hp at level 30...

If burn patches have to stay, remove lockout I think. If they can have a time limit for how long they burn for I can see alot more people running it.

What does everyone else think?
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Definitely get rid of those fire patches,they are quite annoying,not to mention make it extremely hard for melee toons if say,warlord puts a patch right at himself,pretty much preventing any and all pure melee toons from getting within range to attack.
  • Options
    rorschach988rorschach988 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    All I can say is, I was alone (my team died) and since the damage I was dealing sucked, Warlord ended up setting the entire place on fire just to kill me. I thought I could get away by going up the stairs, I was wrong :frown:
  • Options
    gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The patches were put in there as a "soft enrage" mechanic. They're intentionally the way they are. This is, indeed, actually an alert that you can fail, by design.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ...I just want to staaaaaaart a flame in yooooour heaaaaart.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I hate these too. I know there's a trick to them but they're still really annoying.
  • Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Back when the Harmon Labs Alert hit Live the first time I had an idea to improve the fight against Walord, from a mechanics as well as an immersion point of view.

You all probably know that Warlord has a squad of five supervillains as his personal enforcers/bodyguards, the War Machine. Where are they in this Alert? So here's my idea:

(Excuse the sketchiness.)

I propose that every member of the War Machine should be guarding a generator. Those generators allow you (and only you, every player has to destroy another generator) when destroyed to pass through the lockout forcefield (dark blue line). So we have Warlord in the middle, what I marked with 'Entrance' is the wall you blast through. The black X are the generators. The light blue lines are forcefields which are active before you start the fight with Warlord himself. You cant get to the members of the War Machine at this point. Now you are defeated and respawn at the point I marked with entrance (the blasted wall). Now you get a message: 'Defeat Warcry to rejoin the fight!' The forcefield of Warcry goes down, you defeat Warcry, destroy the generator and then you can rejoin the fight with Warlord. Defeating every member of the War Machine and Warlord himself could grant you the 'Warmaster' perk and title.

This would indirectly make the napalm patches less annoying, without actually taking away the challenge they put into this fight.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I had 6-7k HP as an AoRP Hybrid and the patches couldn't really kill me.

As a tank in Warlord all you really need is knock resist and a player who isn't drunk or asleep at the keyboard.

His main attacks are the flamethrower, which you can laugh at if you have Invul + BCR and the knockback grenade which charges really slow and is telegraphed by the BAM! icon. This is where knock resist comes in. On a character with low knock resist, even if you're blocking, you can still get knocked which makes you drop your block.

I consider his Napalm a chain skill after his knock, so if you're KDed after he does that, you're toast. If you blocked it successfully though, don't rush right back into melee range otherwise the napalm gets dropped in melee range, which means no more melee :( If you're melee, always always pick up the powersuit in case that happens.

As for alternative strategies to tank and spank/numbers attrition...

Smoke Grenade used to work on him, not sure if it still does after the nerf.

Sniper Rifle might work. He doesn't move at all so if there's a spot on the map that's too far for his attacks to hit - probably one of the corners, it should work. I never took that power though, haven't made a character with that theme yet.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    selphea wrote: »
    Smoke Grenade used to work on him, not sure if it still does after the nerf. That means by the same note

Aye it does. Rank 3 gets you close enough to use your EB.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Warlord doesn't provide much of a challenge other than the fire patches, which is fairly easy to work around.

Fight near warlord even if you are range, he won't fire fire patches if you are close and haven't been knocked back.
    When Warlord knocks you back, block immediately. Chances are he may fire a fire patch.
    Don't move back near to Warlord right after he knocks you, no lunging, just block and wait a few seconds.
    This prevents him from firing a fire patch near himself and killing everyone.
    Pretty straight forward fight as long as you keep the fire patches away from the center and your team.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Don't want a single flame patch to ever land? That's possible as well.

Yeah, only time i ever played warlord i did it with a premade team, and i never saw a fire patch.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    IDK, I don't have a problem with tanking Warlord. His fire patches are his only ability that really have any effect on my HP.
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Agreed, Warlord's fire patches are quite manageable once you know what to look out for. In fact I think that it is the next best mechanics after Hi-Pan's yinyang sign. When he is going to use a knock, his right arm/weapon will vibrate and start to charge up. Block when he does this. If he does not knock you, he will not throw a fire patch. In case you are too slow to block the knock, do not charge him the moment u get up from the knock. He follows the knock with a napalm (fire patch) so if you charge back into melee, he will drop the patch on your toon which will set the whole area around him on fire. As I use a toon which does not block, this means I get knocked all the time. However, after getting knocked and then getting up, move away from Warlord so that his napalm gets fired far away from him. Then charge back in to continue melee attack.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on
  • Options
    chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Back when the Harmon Labs Alert hit Live the first time I had an idea to improve the fight against Walord, from a mechanics as well as an immersion point of view.

You all probably know that Warlord has a squad of five supervillains as his personal enforcers/bodyguards, the War Machine. Where are they in this Alert? So here's my idea:

You. I like you. I like this idea. You should work for them. Why don't you?
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thank you for your responses!

I'll be taking the advice to play smarter, just a bit overwhelmed by the amount of powers an FF build can have lol, not used to clicking heals on a DPS Tempest based build xP

But if anyone has good experiences with Warlord, please team with me in game and we can run a few ^^.

I can hit for around 7-9k crits on Warlord on my first FF build (achievement for me xP) when nerfed to lvl 30.
  • Options
    thhunterofskullsthhunterofskulls Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thank you for your responses!

I'll be taking the advice to play smarter, just a bit overwhelmed by the amount of powers an FF build can have lol, not used to clicking heals on a DPS Tempest based build xP

But if anyone has good experiences with Warlord, please team with me in game and we can run a few ^^.

I can hit for around 7-9k crits on Warlord on my first FF build (achievement for me xP) when nerfed to lvl 30.

I'd be more than happy to help out with my Might/Regen tank. She's more than a match for Warlord and those fire patches were the only thing that kept her from defeating him solo. Until some nice person here explained how to get him to put them where I want him to put them.
  • Options
    thompkinsthompkins Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've found that if I block and immediately walk out of the fire patch as soon as I res, I can usually survive. I've done this successfully once or twice on squishier characters too, though my success ratio there wasn't as good as with Hybrids/Tanks. Note that this was with a T1 block replace, so if you don't have any block replace you might be out of luck. It also may not work with a wimpier res (I have a character with R1 redemption, and it doesn't seem he can res characters inside the fire).

Also, sometimes you have a few hundreds of milliseconds between when the patch hits the ground and when you die. Don't heal yourself, instead, use this short period to fling yourself out of the fire where you can be rezzed. This mechanism kind of reminds me of old-school D&D:
    http://badgods.com/view/mm-anhkeg/

I rather like the Warlord alert so will be probably be playing it some more this weekend, if you see me online and want to play it send me a tell @Thompkins
    edited October 2012
    First time i played didn't know those flames last so long and rez over it, so dumb. Lol
    But after a few games and forum peeks to learn something.

I just miss one costume now.
    But someone called me game-breaking psychopath. :rolleyes:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'd be more than happy to help out with my Might/Regen tank. She's more than a match for Warlord and those fire patches were the only thing that kept her from defeating him solo. Until some nice person here explained how to get him to put them where I want him to put them.
    I wouldn't mind to help with my soldier if you guys want it :biggrin:, I am a bit squishy but I survive most of the time (not counting the patches). I know I am close to getting the back module, I just know it >.<
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    TOP TIP : Dont stand in fire patches.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    dragonblueydragonbluey Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I did the Warlord alert a couple days ago and I was so sure we were boned because one of our players left before we even got to the hostage saving.

But when we got to Warlord, he was a piece of cake. He only fired one of those fire patches and he totally missed and Warlord just kinda stared at it like "I have GOT to get my act together. Get your head in the game, Warlord."

I'm not exactly sure what we did to beat him. We all just kinda stood fifty feet away and shot him. I was a melee character, but I had put on that temporary powered armor, so I didn't have the opportunity to charge into melee and then get my stupid **** knock-burned.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I'm not exactly sure what we did to beat him. We all just kinda stood fifty feet away and shot him. I was a melee character, but I had put on that temporary powered armor, so I didn't have the opportunity to charge into melee and then get my stupid **** knock-burned.

Hmmmm I deduce that you beat him by shooting him in the face from fifty feet away with lazer beams.

But yeah Warlord is a cake walk.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    thhunterofskullsthhunterofskulls Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    TOP TIP : Dont stand in fire patches.

Don't stand in fire patches. Don't stand in fire patches. Don't stand in fire patches. Stand in fire patches. Stand in fire patches.

ALWAYS STAND IN FIRE PATCHES.

(10G prize to whoever gets this gag. No I'm serious.)
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I only use my tank, Punchy, to do HL and have yet to fail even when someone drops or there isn't a healer. So if any of you need a beefcakesy tank to take flamethrowers to the face, send me a PM in game.

I've never had more than 4 firepatches show up doing HL pugs and normally keep agro unless there's someone that can do bat-****-crazy high damage or another tank is using the sorcery circle of tankiness. Can't say you'll live through on the way there, though. Sometime everything in the big room gets agro'd and I can't pick up on it all before someone dies.

Warlord is one of those guys that you really need to have a pre-made or a completely self-suffcient character that can live through a firepatch to the face and heal after. Since I like to pug, I made Punchy be able to tank and heal himself.

So, no, I don't think the firepatches or lockout should be nerfed or changed, I think people should be picky about who they do HL with or help out pugs with their fully geared, curb-stomping toons.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Burn, hero, burn!
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sounds like an experience I had not many days ago. Maybe we were on the same team (I was using Black Seraph)? In my experience the players were evenly spread around Warlord and he just stood there, not shooting at anyone. Definitely my easiest run through there ever.

Another time with my lvl 40 Perseus character 1 player bailed on entry and I think the 3 other players must have been in the 20-30 lvl range because they died fairly often. When we got to Warlord he concentrated the fire patches on me, I was able to survive and the others just shot away. I think by the end much of the room was covered in fire but we did win.
    I did the Warlord alert a couple days ago and I was so sure we were boned because one of our players left before we even got to the hostage saving.

But when we got to Warlord, he was a piece of cake. He only fired one of those fire patches and he totally missed and Warlord just kinda stared at it like "I have GOT to get my act together. Get your head in the game, Warlord."

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    nesn00000nesn00000 Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    All I can say is, I was alone (my team died) and since the damage I was dealing sucked, Warlord ended up setting the entire place on fire just to kill me. I thought I could get away by going up the stairs, I was wrong :frown:

LOL you die in PVE?! What a joke...
  • Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nesn00000 wrote: »
    LOL you die in PVE?! What a joke...

Don't feed the Hive Tyrant.

Hmm...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I know, sad but true :tongue:
  • Options
    dragonblueydragonbluey Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Hmmmm I deduce that you beat him by shooting him in the face from fifty feet away with lazer beams.
    Well, after all the hype and complaining about Warlord, it was like "This can't possibly be working." It's gotten to the point where when alerts go well I just assume that that alert's "gotcha" mechanic is bugged.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Sounds like an experience I had not many days ago. Maybe we were on the same team (I was using Black Seraph)? In my experience the players were evenly spread around Warlord and he just stood there, not shooting at anyone. Definitely my easiest run through there ever.

Another time with my lvl 40 Perseus character 1 player bailed on entry and I think the 3 other players must have been in the 20-30 lvl range because they died fairly often. When we got to Warlord he concentrated the fire patches on me, I was able to survive and the others just shot away. I think by the end much of the room was covered in fire but we did win.
    Maybe we were, I was on a character named Alura.

Or does EVERY team lose a member after the first fight? Does Harmon Labs exude an aura of despair that's too much for some heroes?
  • Options
    pallierpallier Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    they just need to reduce the damage the fire patches do. make them do as much damage as the players fire area patch does and it would be fine because then its going from 5k per second to 200 damage per second giving you a chance to move out of them.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've done four Harmons now with Foxfire. Only times I've died was jumping in on a spawn without the rest of the team following behind her. None against the big man himself. I got hit by fire once, threw up block, survived, didn't get bothered with again.

Then again, she is ranged DPS so its possible staying at range and sticking to spamming Two-Gun Mojo is keeping her upright.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I finally found out a good action plan when fighting Warlord. Since I realized I had ranked up my smoke grenade (stupid me, how could I forgot >.<!!!) is just a matter of spamming him with smoke grenade, he gets so confused that he does not attack anybody :eek: