test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wind and Claws/Bestial, can it work?

nevan0vanennevan0vanen Posts: 34 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Builds and Roles
Ello and ello all, first time posting something, glad to meet you all, yada and yada, now to the point of this, builds.

I have been wanting to try to do a Wind and Claws/Bestial build, and i while i get stuff, im not really sure if its the best or if the build in general works well enough, so then i came here, wondering if any of you could lend a tiny hand for this idea. And even then, could be a nice tiny challenge to see how this combo would work if at all. Only real goal is that it has Wind and either Claws or Bestial, whatever works better, could be nice if it can tank as well, but aside that, anything at all goes.

Thanks in advance for those willing to assist me on this odd idea of mine, and hopefully the Builds and Roles sub section is the correct one, since i seem to see more build advice on the Combat and Powers one...
Post edited by nevan0vanen on

Comments

• reddestshirtreddestshirt Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ello and ello all, first time posting something, glad to meet you all, yada and yada, now to the point of this, builds.

I have been wanting to try to do a Wind and Claws/Bestial build, and i while i get stuff, im not really sure if its the best or if the build in general works well enough, so then i came here, wondering if any of you could lend a tiny hand for this idea. And even then, could be a nice tiny challenge to see how this combo would work if at all. Only real goal is that it has Wind and either Claws or Bestial, whatever works better, could be nice if it can tank as well, but aside that, anything at all goes.

Thanks in advance for those willing to assist me on this odd idea of mine, and hopefully the Builds and Roles sub section is the correct one, since i seem to see more build advice on the Combat and Powers one...

Sure, go for it. There's a whole bunch of ways you could make it work.
    Wind could provide you with decent area threat through briefly applying hurricane or wind breath, and you can otherwise focus on claws or bestial for your damagedealing and energy recovery.
    Or you could use claws/bestial to just get closer for the purpose of hurricane if you're really into that effect.

As for making it a tank, that's really a separate issue and can be done with any power set. Just make sure you get a defensive passive and pick skills that have the Challenging Strikes and Crippling Challenge advantages.

Anything is possible, and all you need to do is decide what flavor you want. Wind + Claws/Bestial is a pretty broad description, be more detailed and I'm sure people would be happy to provide more exact advice.

Why do you want wind. For the looks? For damage? For crowd control?
    Why do you want to claw at your enemies? How do you imagine a normal fight would look for you?
  • titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here's a quick tank build.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Wind-Claw Tank

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Absolute Zero
    Level 6: Shrug It Off
    Level 9: Agile
    Level 12: Tireless
    Level 15: Acrobat
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Quick Recovery

Powers:
    Level 1: Wind Lash
    Level 1: Hurricane (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 6: Wind Reverberation
    Level 8: Defiance
    Level 11: Form of the Tempest
    Level 14: Dragon's Claws (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 20: Masterful Dodge
    Level 23: Evasive Maneuvers (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 32: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Resurgence (Evanescent Emergence)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation
    Level 35: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (1/3)
    Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted
    Anything is possible, and all you need to do is decide what flavor you want. Wind + Claws/Bestial is a pretty broad description, be more detailed and I'm sure people would be happy to provide more exact advice.

Why do you want wind. For the looks? For damage? For crowd control?
    Why do you want to claw at your enemies? How do you imagine a normal fight would look for you?

Well, wind was there cause, when i saw at claws and bestial, while they do seem to be great at single targets, bestial has an okayish AoE and Claws just flat you didnt had one that wasnt Tides, so i looked around for something to supplement them and well, got Wind, so its kind of between AoE thing, and cause i liked how Wind looked, so it doesnt need to have a lot of powers from there so to say.

As for claws itself, its more cause of a personal preference to melee sets in general, and for how a fight would go, i imagine that it would go as using claws/bestial for strong enemies and wind for most general enemies, maybe also some use for the strong enemies too, but all around, just being more up and close to enemies than not.

And well, i wonder if that is enough details for the help in the build, and if not ill just write more details again, and yet again, a thanks for the helping hand in this.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here's a quick tank build.

I don't really like Wind Reverb, and would instead take Overdrive as Energy Unlock.

I played a Dragon Claws Hurricane char before On Alert, at that time i used INT as SS
    and MSA with lunge for energy. So not sure if that is still better now, or the REC with
    Overdrive solution.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited October 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    I don't really like Wind Reverb, and would instead take Overdrive as Energy Unlock.

I played a Dragon Claws Hurricane char before On Alert, at that time i used INT as SS
    and MSA with lunge for energy. So not sure if that is still better now, or the REC with
    Overdrive solution.

I did a quick test on the build in PTS with my tank. She has 156DEX 412CON 149REC. So with those stats + Wind Reverb + energy from FotT + energy from Defiance you can perma spam Hurricane as long as you are getting attacked to get the energy from Defiance. So no energy problems at all for a tank. I only got Wind Reverb to get out of the Wind set and not waste a power, but I do like Overdrive over Wind Reverb. Here is a Claw Wind tank with Overdrive. The only difference in energy is that with Overdrive you can perma spam Hurricane without the need of energy from Defiance.

Name: Claw Wind Tank

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Absolute Zero
    Level 6: Agile
    Level 9: Enduring
    Level 12: Tireless
    Level 15: Acrobat
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Quick Recovery

Powers:
    Level 1: Hawk's Talons
    Level 1: Intensity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Form of the Tempest
    Level 8: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 11: Masterful Dodge
    Level 14: Dragon's Claws (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 17: Hurricane (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 20: Overdrive
    Level 23: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Evanescent Emergence)
    Level 29: Evasive Maneuvers (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Defiance

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation
    Level 35: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (1/3)
    Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That "Claw Wind Tank" build looks quite nice, though i do wonder why Evasive and the Primal Circle, since if i do remember, going out of a circle for too long will make it dissapear and Evasive makes you roll away from the enemy...so wouldn't it be a bit against each other those two?

But all and all, does seem to work, though ill wait so i can see if anyone can come up with a different build, both curious if there is another different combination and if even a Bestial can work too at that.

Edit: And i forgot to ask too, how were you able to get those stats? 412 Con is quite high, so i do wonder what gear combo or such you did to get it.
    edited October 2012
    That "Claw Wind Tank" build looks quite nice, though i do wonder why Evasive and the Primal Circle, since if i do remember, going out of a circle for too long will make it dissapear and Evasive makes you roll away from the enemy...so wouldn't it be a bit against each other those two?

But all and all, does seem to work, though ill wait so i can see if anyone can come up with a different build, both curious if there is another different combination and if even a Bestial can work too at that.

Edit: And i forgot to ask too, how were you able to get those stats? 412 Con is quite high, so i do wonder what gear combo or such you did to get it.

Evasive R3 is to get +24Dodge Chance% while you fight regular mobs, and the Primal Circle is just to keep boss agro while in Tank role. I'll try to make a Bestial/Wind tank later also, but as for the stats i have the following in my gear:

Secondary Offence 20dex
    Primary Offence 113Con

Secondary Defence 37rec
    Primary Defence 115con

Secondary Utility 37rec
    Primary Utility 115con

Mostly rank6 mods i think, not that hard to get.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evasive R3 is to get +24Dodge Chance% while you fight regular mobs, and the Primal Circle is just to keep boss agro while in Tank role. I'll try to make a Bestial/Wind tank later also, but as for the stats i have the following in my gear:

Secondary Offence 20dex
    Primary Offence 113Con

Secondary Defence 37rec
    Primary Defence 115con

Secondary Utility 37rec
    Primary Utility 115con

Mostly rank6 mods i think, not that hard to get.

Aah, i see i see, in my mind i just thought i would use both at the same time, but i get it now, and both thanks for the stats from gear AND for helping me on making this builds, i really appreciate that, and i await for what you can get from a Bestial/Wind combo.

All and all, great builds in general, really like them.
    edited October 2012

Name: A hurricane of claws

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)

Powers:
    Level 1: Bestial Fury
    Level 1: Shred (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Pounce (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Aspect of the Bestial
    Level 14: Supernatural Power
    Level 17: Hurricane (Challenging Strikes)
    Level 20: Iniquity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Masterful Dodge
    Level 26: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 29: Intensity
    Level 32: Energy Shield (Laser Knight)
    Level 35: Howl (Rank 2, Rank 3, Make them Tremble)
    Level 38: Resurrection Serum

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

Tactics: Pounce to get into range, then tap Hurricane for some lovely wind graphics and starting up the threat through Challenging Strikes. It should be enough to just do it for a second or so, but you can also use it for killing weaker enemies if you have the energy to spare.

Keep in mind that your energy recoveries will only trigger off of the bestial attacks in this build, so overuse of Hurricane will leave you dry.

Hurricane can be replaced by Wind Breath, pick whichever you like best. Hurricane affects all around you an Wind Breath is a cone attack so they will have a rather different feel and look.

Regeneration was picked primarily for the reason of being able to use Iniquity to heal teammembers, pick Defiance or Invurnerability instead if you chose to forgo healing. It is not a bad defensive on its own though.

Howl is fully non-essential and can be replaced by anything you want.

Crippling Challenge could be moved to Shred for some ridiculous threat generation, but you shouldn't need it.

Nailed to the Ground is only useful in certain cases and flight could do well enough for those. But you'll never really get much damage out of Pounce anyway.

Recovery could be replaced by Dexterity if you feel you have more energy than you can spend during fights.

Gear:
    Get a primary defensive with avoidance and put a dodge mod into it. All other choices are up for discussion. :)
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The only difference in energy is that with Overdrive you can perma spam Hurricane without the need of energy from Defiance.

Since i normally prefer Invuln over Defiance, that is maybe the reason i prefer Overdrive ;)

The other question is however what is about DC Spam ? Is Form of the Tempest and Rush
    enough ?
    R607qMf.jpg
  • r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If they only allowed EPIDEMIC to ahve challenging strikes, you'd not really need to leave the beast/inferno subset!

One could only hope...

-r0y
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Level 32: Parry (The Elusive Monk)

Probably suboptimal based on:
    Power: Elusive Monk (Parry) (+0.33 Dodge/Avoidance Rating per point of dexterity.)

I'd get Energy Shield / Laser Knight if it works thematically, or something else if not.

Have a similar build based on infernal/bestial. With regen, armadillo, defense, and laser knight, I get invuln like resist + a heal that makes tanking Gravitar relatively easy (except for the orange bubble of death). Barely notice any of the other abilities.
    edited October 2012
    jimhsua wrote: »
    I'd get Energy Shield / Laser Knight if it works thematically, or something else if not.
    You are entirely right. Parry is not a good idea unless dexterity is a superstat. Another good alternative is Force Shield with advantage if you want more energy while tanking.