test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Broomstick flight

jovianjjovianj Posts: 27 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Suggestions Box
I had suggested it last year, not sure if the year before too. So I thought I would continue the fine tradition to get broomstick flight some year.
Post edited by jovianj on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jovianj wrote: »
    I had suggested it last year, not sure if the year before too. So I thought I would continue the fine tradition to get broomstick flight some year.

When talking about TP skins, we must consider that most will be a reskin of an existing TP. Since no TP has your character sitting on anything, the closest would probably be to have your character stand on the broomstick, using an animation similar to hover disc. Would that be acceptable?

It would be cool if they had a "ghostly" flight where your character sort of left wispy trails behind them as they flew - perhaps they could use the skull/face effect from powers like defile.

Another cool idea would be if you flew atop a giant Jack O'Lantern.

Another cool one would be "ghoul burrowing" - basically skeletal or zombie hands emerge from under your character and drag them into the ground, then you travel as normal burrowing.

I'd also like to see dark acro & dark flight, using basically the same effect as dark speed.

How about "tomb stone flight" where you fly on top of a large tombstone, kinda like flyign carpet of hover disc?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    yinjeighyinjeigh Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I love both of you guys' ideas actually. And it's about time we developed some new TP bases anyway. Broom Flight could be the start of sitting on things like...Mechanical Dragons...I guess.. lol.
    @Jeighsun in-game. Feel free to add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    yinjeigh wrote: »
    I love both of you guys' ideas actually. And it's about time we developed some new TP bases anyway. Broom Flight could be the start of sitting on things like...Mechanical Dragons...I guess.. lol.

Here's the problem though - in order to have a sitting animation, the devs would also have to go back and recode every power to have a transition from sitting to that power's normal animation. The only other work-around would be to *not* allow you to use anything but self-only powers, sort of like how cape glide behaves. Then, you character would be locked into a fixed pose and couldn't attack or use other abilities.

Another idea would be to make a broomstick "vehicle" which has your character sitting on it, and give it a few unique attacks for being on the broom...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Here's the problem though - in order to have a sitting animation, the devs would also have to go back and recode every power to have a transition from sitting to that power's normal animation. The only other work-around would be to *not* allow you to use anything but self-only powers, sort of like how cape glide behaves. Then, you character would be locked into a fixed pose and couldn't attack or use other abilities.

Another idea would be to make a broomstick "vehicle" which has your character sitting on it, and give it a few unique attacks for being on the broom...

Pretty much.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Guys..They're devs. That's what they're here for XD. We're paying our subscriptions so they can have the resources to give us what we crave in-game, right? I mean, if they're not willing to do the work to bring our ideas to life, we wouldn't have this game's amazing character creator or a suggestions thread for that matter.

I, for one, don't think it would be that big of a deal to give us a sitting travel power. Take a look at Energy Slide's Animation. The crouching stance. bring the right arm forward, legs closer together, imagine a broom there. It would be Ice slide or Hover Disc based, but with a new moving animation, you follow? If they can give us Athletics, they can definitely give us sitting travel powers.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    yinjeigh wrote: »
    Guys..They're devs. That's what they're here for XD. We're paying our subscriptions so they can have the resources to give us what we crave in-game, right? I mean, if they're not willing to do the work to bring our ideas to life, we wouldn't have this game's amazing character creator or a suggestions thread for that matter.

I, for one, don't think it would be that big of a deal to give us a sitting travel power. Take a look at Energy Slide's Animation. The crouching stance. bring the right arm forward, legs closer together, imagine a broom there. It would be Ice slide or Hover Disc based, but with a new moving animation, you follow? If they can give us Athletics, they can definitely give us sitting travel powers.

No one is saying that the devs *can't* do all this - we're saying that the "cost" vs return just isn't there to make it worthwhile. The energy slide TP actually uses the same pose as the start of Acrobatics, so it's already built. IIRC, hover disc and earth flight also use that animation.

The animation that athletics uses also already existed as one of the early stages of the old acro (again, IIRC).
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    No one is saying that the devs *can't* do all this - we're saying that the "cost" vs return just isn't there to make it worthwhile. The energy slide TP actually uses the same pose as the start of Acrobatics, so it's already built. IIRC, hover disc and earth flight also use that animation.

The animation that athletics uses also already existed as one of the early stages of the old acro (again, IIRC).

Bio, what I'm saying is that those crouching animations would make an excellent starting point for a possible Broom Flight. Also, with all the magical characters out there, I'd think they'd get more than enough money back.
    Ppl would probably start friggin Magic Academy SG's just from Broom Flight coming out.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So we can't have different standing and sitting animations because animation overrides can't be put into the game?
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So we can't have different standing and sitting animations because animation overrides can't be put into the game?

It's more like they would have to go through every single animation possible and do such things. I would wager that there are more than 50 or possibly even a hundred different animations, and that doesn't include potential different animations for male and female alone and possibly the various costumes, cloaks and so forth, as well as weapon geo responses and the like.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    binazy92binazy92 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah i agree a broom flight would be awsome i sugested this yasturday :)
    would be so much fun.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If this was to happen, I just hope it isn't the 'straddle the broom' type of broomstick riding that is popular nowadays. The only reason it happens in Harry Potter's Quidditch Brooms is because it's explainable with that universe's magic system, being close to Magitek in some parts of it.
    Think Bedknobs and Broomsticks! What was the first thing Mrs Price found whilst learning to ride her broom? Sit on it! Don't straddle it!

And thus, we have the witchy look, the sitting on the broom as it takes you to your destination, looking back at the people whose lives you have just 'tricked' with some curse or some other mystical rot.

And then, a shrill cackle, as your green-skinned hag disappears into the velvet night.

So yeah, don't mount the broom... Sit on it! (also, it'll stop people using the 'long stick-like object coming out from between their legs' in social areas if they're side-seated on it)
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    if we have broomstick flight we should also get a broom skin for heavy weapons as well.
    that way when you aren't flying you can still use the broom. maybe it can also come with a sweeping emote.
  • Options
    ethanmorriganethanmorrigan Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    With the new Grav Bike vehicle on the PTS, there will maybe come a sitting animation for moving, so they could possibly make a broomstick flight aswell then.

But that are just some possibilities i think of.

Formerly known as Rei_Kisagi

• Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    if we have broomstick flight we should also get a broom skin for heavy weapons as well.
    that way when you aren't flying you can still use the broom. maybe it can also come with a sweeping emote.

Only if we can have it as a shotgun skin too, I think.
    "This... is my BROOMSTICK!"
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    jet777jet777 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My two cents, considering a lot of people are debating the animation...

Why not use the pose you get into if you charge a running TP (Acrobatics, SS, you know what I mean.) Your character hunches down, one hand in front of him, the other back and to the side with his/her feet in an almost vertical line...It's not perfect, but it could make something of a 'surfing on the broom' animation that could be transitioned back to a little more easily.

And since Harry potter was mentioned...If as a noob to flying, Harry could do it in the first movie, I figure a mystic ninja/talented witch/robot maid/whatever else could do it.

Also, if that's a bust, I'm all for sitting sidesaddle on it.
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A new animation for sitting sidesaddle would be awesome as it might mean we might later on get the rocket-riding travel power i want.

And broomstick riding is such a cool idea!

/signed
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?