test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plasma Beam - Targeting issue & crazy fun

r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
OK, so I was playing with a particle damage-focused range build, and I picked up Plasma Beam for a maintain AoE (even though it's a tight, 1' cylinder).

Anyway, I've noticed that it seems very broken as far as aiming goes and the Z-coordinates. Any time that my character is not at or very near the same elevation as my target, the power completely misses, but still fires (like it's a toggle, though it's a maintain).

This is especially annoying in Lemuria where getting onto the same Z-plane is near impossible. Now, when targets are extremely close (point blank or melee range) then it hits no problem. The more distance the target is, the more chance it will miss - if there's an elevation (Z-coordinate) difference. This can be on a hillside or floating in Lemuria or flying.

So it's frustrating... then I discovered something crazy... and fun! If I have NO TARGET, I can shoot that thing, whipping it around zapping everything! Well, everything in range and on the same z-plane level as I am on!

Since I love destroying stuff (destructible items), this is CRAZY FUN for me! So I've kept the power, though I get frustrated with the Z-coordinate failure, as it's pretty fun to sweep it around as I turn and move.

Has any mention been made about the targeting issue? I've been out of game for over a year, and recently back. I searched the forums, but did not find any thread about Plasma Beam or this issue.

Any insights?

-r0y
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by r0y0 on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It seems to me that the graphic goes crazy when you use a different camera angle. And somehow it effects the AoE of damage.
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, it's a known issue. (Known to players, at least, not sure about the developers.) Definitely hurts its usefulness. :( But still enjoyable regardless!
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hopefully, by creating a thread with the issue in the title, the devs might stumble upon this? I guess I could also submit a bug report in-game.

Thanks for the info, guys!

-r0y
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I recall that this was noted during the development of the power. It's just the way it is, and is the reason they decided against further powers of its ilk. The chances of it changing are nil.
  • ghostdoggghostdogg Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yah!!!!!!!!!

A PA question I can help with, yes it does appear broken but if yyou use it right it is very effective.

How I use the power and I am not sure if this was intentional on the Devs part, is I will use my energy builder or another self targeting beam attack. So repulsor beam works well, after it fires off and hits the target I then maintain the Plasma beam. If you have Over drive you only need to maintain it for half the duration and OD kicks in, I then switch back to repulse or light up Orbital Cannon.

Plasma Beam is a hungry power so using it back and forth with another power is the best way i have found, plus it stays on target then.

The Z axis thing? Yah that is way borked, you will not shoot upwards or downwards with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If it weren't for whiskey the Irish would rule the world"
  • ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm curious why they can't just tie it to the targeting reticule. Problem solved.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
  • r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ventani wrote: »
    I'm curious why they can't just tie it to the targeting reticule. Problem solved.
    Yeah, at least when there is a target. I don't mind having the z-issue when I am using the power w/o a target (room-sweeping!), but if I am targeted to something, it would be nice to lock the power to the reticle.

-r0y
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    r0y0 wrote: »
    Yeah, at least when there is a target. I don't mind having the z-issue when I am using the power w/o a target (room-sweeping!), but if I am targeted to something, it would be nice to lock the power to the reticle.

-r0y

This makes the most sense and is therefore the least likely solution to be implemented.