test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Force field build?

sirwhackjobsirwhackjob Posts: 30 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
I've seen a player with a massive pool of shield points, mostly wondering how this is done and if it's viable. I'm pretty sure the passive was personal force field, but the amount of damage he could soak was ludicrous. It was like a personal force field using nemesis during the alerts, almost.

Hmm. Does the shield soak damage first, or does it factor resistance first and then deduct the points? Would stacking dodge help?

I have so little experience with the force set that I have no idea where to begin.
Post edited by sirwhackjob on

Comments

• reddestshirtreddestshirt Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Personal Force Field is applied after most sources of damage reduction, which means you get full use out of armor and dodge.
    Other sources of shielding are applied underneath the Personal Force Field though and are thus somewhat useless.

I suggest taking a look at this thread for more details: Cyrone's PFF Q/A Help Thread
  • rykonailorykonailo Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've seen a player with a massive pool of shield points, mostly wondering how this is done and if it's viable. I'm pretty sure the passive was personal force field, but the amount of damage he could soak was ludicrous. It was like a personal force field using nemesis during the alerts, almost.

Hmm. Does the shield soak damage first, or does it factor resistance first and then deduct the points? Would stacking dodge help?

I have so little experience with the force set that I have no idea where to begin.
    Pff factors in resist / dodge but not other bubbles or idf yet. Field surge is before right now though

Bonus heal also boost pff hp,not regen, by half its amount.

So high resist plus high bonus heal = huge shield levels especially with compassion / field surge
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,113 Arc User
    edited October 2012

How massive exactly? Compassion the form affects PFF and can get it to crazy numbers I think upwards of 15K.

I have recently bought LTS and have succesfully improved my old Impulse into a FF force fielder. She is called ForceGirl. The highest amount so far I am on for Personal Force Field Strength without compassion is 7.9k.

Cyrone's page which was posted, is a great guide and walkthrough force fields in general.

But I will tell you this if you decide to take PFF.

STAY AWAY FROM VIPER.

They have access to a special weapon known as Pulson Tech which can bypass a full PFF and get to your health points. This weapon can still kill you through block (regardless of rank) and 100% power PFF. Most of the VIPER henchmen have it as a primary weapon, it is even worse when coupled with The Brick Buster's weakness exposing debuff from their gun,

There is only one force field which can help heal PFF, this is Field Surge, and it is the only shield which is layered over PFF. However work is going ahead to change this, which will make PFF useful.

PFF has no natural damage resistance or Knock Resistance which you would expect force fields to have.

I would highlight a power which isnt very useful normally. Containment Field, only use this power if you take force blast with Field Inversion to explode the force field for extra damage or if you take Force Spate on Force Detonation. Otherwise, this power is nothing more than a shield which traps your enemy and SHIELDS them for 50% of all incoming damage. Which as you can imagine is counter productive.

Among other things before Cyrone's guide came about, I learn these the hard way.

Force Powerset is knock centric, so making sure your hits count is important before getting too many KB resist stacks on your foes.

Protection Field's shield strength scales with +healing and presence mostly. Personal Force Field scales with Super Stats.

If you have any other questions feel free to add me and I can answer questions about it ^^. My handle is in my signature.

Note: I am currently locked in the PTS due to trying to make good builds for my chars. But I will still be able to talk to you.
  • sirwhackjobsirwhackjob Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ok, most questions answered. Another couple:

I note blocking restores the shield quicker during combat. Now, if I take energy shield and one of the block-while-attack powers, does that count? How about force sheathe?

Does Pre buff the amount of shield at all? Or another stat?
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,113 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ok, most questions answered. Another couple:

I note blocking restores the shield quicker during combat. Now, if I take energy shield and one of the block-while-attack powers, does that count? How about force sheathe?

Does Pre buff the amount of shield at all? Or another stat?

By the "shield" do you mean PFF or Protection Field? I will assume you mean PFF.

I have never tried enhancing PFF's shield regen with any other shield appart from Force Shield.

Blocking is meant to triple the rate of force field regeneration.

Not sure what you mean by "block-while-attack powers", for all purposes I will assume you mean a shield like Protection Field.. for protection field no it does not count as a block to damage as for the tripling effect it needs to be via active blocking. Force Sheath can be used as a minor energy return/ lingering block, but again doesnt buff PFF regen speed like active blocking.

Presence, buffs Protection Field alot, well +Healing% does actually, however it seems to scale alot better with PRE, which I hope will change soon.

Super Stats buff Personal Force Field, PRE as well as any other primary and secondary SS's buffs the shield strength of PFF.