What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gatling Gun and PA Build Questions

joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
Okay. Have my Mecha Girl all made and now just sitting int he Power House :(

I need help!

Is Gatling Gun worth running constantly? I just imagine her with it and letting lose!

But then there's the Power Armor toggle powers. I'd like to get a missle swarm power in her build somewhere. Just a bunch of missles to imagine to be like Macross Missles :)

I'm told Tactical Missiles gets a swarm of missles when you rank it up.

Mini Munitions is a PA Toggle, so it seems unwise to take it if I want to use Gatling Gun often.

Reconstruction Circuits, does it deactivate when you use non PA attacks?

Am I missing any other powers that will give a swarm of missiles when you attack?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    konru2konru2 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The Tactical Missiles power generates one missile at rank 1, 3 missiles at rank 2, and 5 missiles at rank 3. This is just the visual effect, though.

Reconstruction Circuits, doesn't deactivate when you try to use non a PA attack. Instead, it actually locks out those non PA powers. If you activate Reconstruction, you won't be able to use anything but block, hand slot, and shoulder slot powers until it turns itself off or you turn it off manually. It is actually great for power armor tanks because they don't have to toggle off their attacks to trigger the Reconstruction Circuits. But it can make using active defenses difficult.

Integrating some Power Armor toggles into a hybrid actually isn't that bad usually. You won't be using Gatling Gun and Micro Munitions at the same time. But that' is hardly any different than Gatling Gun and Submachine Gun, Assault Rifle, or Shotgun. You just have to remember that you need to tap again to turn the Micro Munitions off before using a different power or going after a different target. Now if you do choose to take Tactical Missiles and Micro Munitions together, then you can actually use your tactical missiles wile the munitions are firing. The Gatling Gun will still work fine when you use it. But the question is more why than how. Mini Gun will do most of the same thing, and since it is a shoulder slot power, you can easily have the mini gun, tactical missiles, and micro munitions running at the same time. In fact, Tactical Missiles, Mini Gun, and Micro Munitions make the most commonly used power armor configuration around, for a lot of reasons.

For a Macross Missile Massacre, I can think of only one other power, Shoulder Launcher. It is just one missile. However that gives you that missile pod on the shoulder effect that could look right at home on a heavy artillery mech. It's probably not necessary, though.
  • Options
    wufflechanwufflechan Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The above poster is slightly wrong. You can use any channeled ability with any toggle ability if your timing is right. Some examples are lightning arc with concussor beams, lightning arc with eye beams ( both look insanely cool ) etc.

So if you want a wall of bullets and missiles go Gatling gun + Micro munitions. Hit the toggle and then near instantly hit and hold the channel/maintain and watch the massacre unfold.
  • Options
    konru2konru2 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    OMG it DOES work.

There is a small delay between the activation and deactivation of a power armor toggle and the lockout effect. So I'm pretty used to seeing my charge powers go through a "false" charge if my fumble fingers accidentally hit the Reconstruction Circuits at the same time. My two Power Armors are both actual hybrids of Power Armor and Sorcery, so with Reconstruction Circuits bound to 5, and Circle of Arcane Power bound to 6, I end up accidentally triggering both occasionally if I get stressed. I didn't suspect that it would actually work with maintain powers.

Still, I recommend not doing it like that. When I tested it (on the Test server), the power-armor chest front animation overrides the Gatling Gun aiming animation and the results in this case just look plain terrible. The gun gets held one-handed, aimed away from the target, and still somehow firing at an angle to hit.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    What I'm looking to do for my Mecha Girl, is work in Gatling Gun and Chainsaw Gauntlet as the main attacks with swarm of missles.

Anyone have suggestions on Super Stats? Energy Builder?

Thinking of going Invunerability for the passive.
  • Options
    pugdaddypugdaddy Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Chainsaw and Gat both use lots of energy, so I would suggest taking Int or Rec as a SS and putting some gear and/or Talents for the one you don't take as a SS.
    Gat puts out lots of small, fast hits. Increasing the power of those hits is a good idea, so I suggest taking Ego as a SS or at least gear/statting it to 70- the point of diminishing returns. Dexterity should be a SS.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=5&n=&d=1247XWHKIgc00007100880077009B009F008D00BG00BH0014009H0037049M007Q007O001KVb3V763bDM

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Disciple
    Level 6: Wordly
    Level 9: Coordinated
    Level 12: Impresario
    Level 15: Shooter
    Level 18: Command Training
    Level 21: Martial Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Particle Rifle
    Level 1: Concentration
    Level 6: Gauntlet Chainsaw (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Overdrive
    Level 14: Gatling Gun (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 20: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Unfettered Strikes)
    Level 23: Electric Sheath (Matter ? Energy Union)
    Level 26: Micro Munitions (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 32: Shoulder Launcher (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Miniaturization Drive

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (2/3)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (1/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Retribution (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Here's a build idea that uses Dex as the Primary SS. It uses some Dodge mechanics to assist Invun in damage reduction.
    Uses Shoulder Launcher and Micro Munitions at same time is a pretty cool alpha strike. Masterful Dodge and Bountiful Chi Resurgence work together to heal and reduce damage.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Oooo...I'll have to look that one over...here's what I was thinking of before I saw that build, so input would be handy :)

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Gear Dancer

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Ego (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Night Avenger
    Level 6: Tireless
    Level 9: Energetic
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina
    Level 15: Relentless
    Level 18: Wordly
    Level 21: Impresario

Powers:
    Level 1: Wrist Bolter
    Level 1: Tactical Missiles (Rank 2, Blast Radius)
    Level 6: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Gauntlet Chainsaw (Rank 2, Ripsaw)
    Level 11: Form of the Tempest (Rank 2)
    Level 14: Gatling Gun (Rank 2, Listen to Reason)
    Level 17: Overdrive
    Level 20: Masterful Dodge
    Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Evasive Maneuvers
    Level 29: Energy Shield
    Level 32: Fire All Weapons
    Level 35: Unbreakable
    Level 38: Implosion Engine (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Jet Boots

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (1/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    And I just noticed my build has no active offense
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    wufflechan wrote: »
    The above poster is slightly wrong. You can use any channeled ability with any toggle ability if your timing is right. Some examples are lightning arc with concussor beams, lightning arc with eye beams ( both look insanely cool ) etc.

So if you want a wall of bullets and missiles go Gatling gun + Micro munitions. Hit the toggle and then near instantly hit and hold the channel/maintain and watch the massacre unfold.

FYI, this is a BUG. A VERY long standing bug (since launch), but a bug none the less. So it can be fixed at any time.

That said, it's a ton of fun to use. Gatling Gun plus Minigun? More bullets! :D
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    FYI, this is a BUG. A VERY long standing bug (since launch), but a bug none the less. So it can be fixed at any time.

I actually played with the idea myself since you'd think they'd synergize decently, but being unintended behavior the broken animation kinda killed it for me.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    The thing about Ego and Str is they start getting diminishing returns after they reach 70. Gat, Chainsaw, and Fire All Weapons are all very hungry for energy. At least grab Electric Sheath.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Throw in Rank 3 Muni-bots in Turret mode and a high Int for even more bullets?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    pugdaddy wrote: »
    The thing about Ego and Str is they start getting diminishing returns after they reach 70. Gat, Chainsaw, and Fire All Weapons are all very hungry for energy. At least grab Electric Sheath.

Hmmm...should I go INT, REC or END? I can replace EGO or STR easily enough and grab gear to improve the stats.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm curious about that too. I've always had energy issues with Gat, so I'm not confident in which stats would work best for it.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm curious about that too. I've always had energy issues with Gat, so I'm not confident in which stats would work best for it.

I'm wondering if I should rely on Gatling Gun more...save Chainsaw for when enemies are low on life (For the 30% extra damage) and go with Killer Instinct for energy. Works well for my Dual Pistol main
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    One of my characters uses Gatling Gun and Chainsaw with great gusto. I elected to take the Ripsaw advantage on the Chainsaw instead of Rank 3 (it deals increased damage against opponents who have less than 30% health). His powers generally come from the Munitions tree.

That being said, the Chainsaw really is an energy hungry beastie.

I'd suggest taking Deadly Aim in the Dexterity tree. You may as well take advantage of your crit generating ability by making the crits hurt more.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    manjimarufinmanjimarufin Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Well, they fixed the minigun+shoulder launcher simultaneous activation. That was a long standing (awesome) 'bug'. I'm surprised theres still something similar 'unfixed'

I talked to gentleman_crush once ingame about it, he said they would make power armor awesome during the revamp. Well, I'm afraid to say that feels more or less the same to me, without the awesomeness of two shoulder toggles however. :frown:
    “Fear can create monsters where none existed before.”—President Marsden, Supergirl
  • Options
    ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    @ Pugdaddy: Using Killer Instict with a SSS in Rec with Dex as PSS with Gatling Gun will give you full energy almost every time you fire unless you end up with bad luck in the RNG. In this build however, KI wouldn't work very well since it is the 'splash' rather than the total package.

I'd go Overdrive if you are mix/matching maintains like this build, and SSS whatever it is that scales with Overdrive.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
  • Options
    ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I should rely on Gatling Gun more...save Chainsaw for when enemies are low on life (For the 30% extra damage) and go with Killer Instinct for energy. Works well for my Dual Pistol main

With a well spec'd GGun, there won't be many left alive after a full maintain. MV's and up will be obviously, but they'll be hurting. GG is strong enough to make it a staple with enough dex piled on to keep it crit'ing. The character I've had since beta has been munitions, and when I didn't have aggro I used it more than mini-mines.

I'm not sure that 'wasting' your Unlock for KI on one power will make the build fly. But if you are in the power house, you could easily prove me wrong.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I've been running with this build and having a blast. Using Pulse Beam Rifle for single target and Gat for groups is very satisfying. However, I'm using Bullet Beatdown with Not Without Incident Advantage instead of Chainsaw.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    What I'm looking to do for my Mecha Girl, is work in Gatling Gun and Chainsaw Gauntlet as the main attacks with swarm of missles.

Anyone have suggestions on Super Stats? Energy Builder?

Thinking of going Invunerability for the passive.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but Shoulder Launcher works with Micro Munitions, leaving your Hand slot free for Tactical Missiles. I'd call that a swarm.
  • Options
    thhunterofskullsthhunterofskulls Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't know if I mentioned this, but Shoulder Launcher works with Micro Munitions, leaving your Hand slot free for Tactical Missiles. I'd call that a swarm.

Fire All Weapons is also hilariously destructive with enough Ego and Dex :D
  • Options
    promytheanpromythean Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And stay away from Reconstruction Circuits. I wanted to love it, but it does perform as well as other heals. Plus it takes the place of an attack. BCR work best right now... Check out Pulse Wave's Gyrojet build for all the Missle Madness.
    Stealing Fire from the gods...