test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lifetime Sale... Champions left out AGAIN!

psytce0002psytce0002 Posts: 56 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
So it looks like Star Trek is having a GREAT lifetime sale again ... If you get the LTS ($199.99) You also get all of the Veterans item right away ....

Yet we still don't get a sale for Champions...... So far - Since June there have been 2 month long sales for Star Trek LTS, and Champions has had ZERO ....

I guess they are happy with the Silvers in Champions... but want Gold members in Star Trek ....

Why can't Champs have the same sale ????????

I've been hoping for a sale in Champs for a while and seeing Star Trek get 2 in the same time that Champs has not had any .... well I guess I'm going to think about leaving Champs since we are not being treated the same as Trek ......

Champs should have the same sale!
Post edited by psytce0002 on

Comments

• Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    psytce0002 wrote: »
    I guess they are happy with the Silvers in Champions... but want Gold members in Star Trek ....

I think you kinda answered your own question right there.

Why? Just because you want it? They don't offer sales because people want to get a deal. They offer sales to improve their bottom line. If they feel that there's enough LTS in CO right now, then what reason is there to offer a sale on a LTS?

In STO, there's really very little reason to go Gold, let alone get a LTS. There's next to nothing you can't do in STO if you're willing to farm Dilithiumn, and even Gold members have to pay for the top end ships.
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    just because it doesn't happen at the same time doesn't mean it wont happen.
    the perfect time for a LTS sale in CO would be on Dec 1
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    the perfect time for a LTS sale in CO would be on Nov 1

I'd shoot a bit latter then that, or else have it go on until early Dec... With CoX shutting down on Nov 31st, I imagine a lot of people will hang out there until the very end.

So if they wanted to see a big increase in LTS then they should start in mid-November and have go until say Dec 5th.
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i meant dec 1st
    i'm bad at remembering dates
  • Options
    oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    :frown: I wanna LTS sale too
    I have been pleased with being silver with freeform slots
    I like them because I like permanent things not subscription and then a month later can't use my freeform toons if i don't resubscribe
    so a LTS sale would be perfectttt~
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    Why? Just because you want it? They don't offer sales because people want to get a deal. They offer sales to improve their bottom line. If they feel that there's enough LTS in CO right now, then what reason is there to offer a sale on a LTS?

In STO, there's really very little reason to go Gold, let alone get a LTS. There's next to nothing you can't do in STO if you're willing to farm Dilithiumn, and even Gold members have to pay for the top end ships.

Unfortunately (for the OP) this^

They're different games no matter how many similarities they have or despite them being from the same company. Both games' subs offer completely different things and follow different business logic.

Just think about it, in CO they sell FF slots for $50 a pop, OR, you could get 16 of those plus a bunch of other benefits (including an extra FF slot every time you level a toon to 40) for just $300 (just six times the amount you'd pay individually for each one of those 16! slots).

In STO a subscription gets you what? One retcon every 5 character levels, which you barely even need? And you STILL have to pay extra for the ships (which are the closest thing to an equivalent to FF in CO that they have)?!?!? BUAHAHAHAHA!!!

You ask me, $200 is still too much for a LTS in STO.

PS: I wouldn't mind automatic Vet rewards in CO, though.
    New-ish to CO, but it seems to me that maybe they view LTS as being less beneficial to CO than it is for STO? If you want a Silver to have everything a Gold has...

6 more character slots (up to $42)
    15 premium ATs (up to $172.50)
    Free form characters ($50 per slot, limit?)
    Market slots (up to $22.50)

And that's just off the top of my head. If you go with two Free Form slots and all that? You're already looking at $337. And, that's still missing a lot of stuff, still got Vivox ads, Resource cap, etc.

It seems STO is set up differently (are there equivalents to STO's lockboxes here?), ships for sale at all levels, and our end-game is well monetized with Fleet Modules, Starbases needing Dilithium (our Questionite), etc. We're not nearly as alt-driven, IMO, but there's a lot of stuff for us to buy on the way to the top, and at the top. And, especially with Fleets being what they are, the more people in them, the more people buying Dilithium or Fleet Modules, which is more money in overall.

Granted, that's my initial impression. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • Options
    chikahirochikahiro Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually, how accurate is this?

A character in CO can't collect Archtypes; they get what they've got, buy a free-form slot, or subscribe to reroll (can ATs change into FF?). A character in STO can buy and have numerous ships of all levels and types, regardless of their class. Each character is an opportunity to sell more ships/stuff.

You can buy extra character slots in both games, but I feel Champions benefits from this far more. Ignoring roleplaying and hardcore min/maxing toolkits, 6 slots per account in STO is plenty (1 of each class per faction).

The value of Zen and Dilithium is present throughout the game, with there always being things of value. Storage, Duty Officers, Crafting Materials, etc. Then you can also get into Fleets, Fleet Projects, Fleet Ships and Fleet Gear. Buying Dilithium can speed a lot of this up!

There's a fair bit of things in STO that can be bought with Zen and sold for Energy Credits on the Exchange. As such, its sort of but not quite like EVE's PLEX, putting RMT transactions into the domain of players, not gold farmers. Is there any equivalent to that in CO?

There's a clear and definite economic advantage to having the Energy Credit cap lifted and account storage in STO, especially regarding the Z:D market, above and beyond the usual MMO tomfoolery. I don't think there is for CO, but I could well be wrong.

And, that's just some shallow thinking. What else is there? What does CO have in it that I'm missing? Overall, I think that STO better monetizes its players, and thus why we see STO having LTS sales more often.

As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't know if anything purchased with Q can be sold for Zen; generally, the price in Q seems to be sufficiently high that nobody wants to swap for Resources anyway. And there's nothing you can buy for Zen directly that can be traded for Resources - heck, the only way to get any of the Q gear with Zen is by using the Questionite Exchange.

We also don't have STO's lockboxes, gods be praised - folks get up in arms enough here about grab bags; add a 100-Zen price tag to open them, and you'd see pitchforks and torches descending on northern California.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's been my experience that they alternate the sales. Seems like every other month one of the other of the games has a nice sale like that. The added benefits STO is getting this time are the first time those have been offered. i suspect CO will get the same benefits (well, the equivalents for this game) the next time CO's LTS sale happens.
  • Options
    ktm1ktm1 Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    chikahiro wrote: »
    New-ish to CO, but it seems to me that maybe they view LTS as being less beneficial to CO than it is for STO? If you want a Silver to have everything a Gold has...

6 more character slots (up to $42)
    15 premium ATs (up to $172.50)
    Free form characters ($50 per slot, limit?)
    Market slots (up to $22.50)

And that's just off the top of my head. If you go with two Free Form slots and all that? You're already looking at $337. And, that's still missing a lot of stuff, still got Vivox ads, Resource cap, etc.

It seems STO is set up differently (are there equivalents to STO's lockboxes here?), ships for sale at all levels, and our end-game is well monetized with Fleet Modules, Starbases needing Dilithium (our Questionite), etc. We're not nearly as alt-driven, IMO, but there's a lot of stuff for us to buy on the way to the top, and at the top. And, especially with Fleets being what they are, the more people in them, the more people buying Dilithium or Fleet Modules, which is more money in overall.

lifetimer actually offers 14!!! more character slots than a silver account. you get 8 (the original 2 plus 6 more) for being gold, and lifetimer gives you a bonus additional 8, 16 base slots all told.
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
  • Options
    leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012

<SNIP>

This forum post is over a year old, but still pretty accurate.

CO's LTS definitely have way better benefits than STO's. Mind you, STO has to pay a licensing fee to CBS for the IP, so CO has much more flexibility with Free For Gold items and lower pricing.

Sure I would of liked to have paid less for my LTS, but I see it this way: the lack of a LTS sale for CO, means they aren't hurting for cash. Ya think that's a clue CO might be sticking around for awhile?
  • Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think it'd be a good thing for them to give maybe a 20% discount again sometime, and feature it. Sometime before Christmas would be savvy.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'll also throw this little tidbit out there.

I got my LTS in Beta, for $200.

CO is a 1 month past 3 years, so even at $10 a month sub, I would of spent, $370 in sub fees
    and bought ~$120 worth of Zen.

So for $200 I've gotten somewhere around $490 worth of CO.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    leihngwei wrote: »
    This forum post is over a year old, but still pretty accurate.

CO's LTS definitely have way better benefits than STO's. Mind you, STO has to pay a licensing fee to CBS for the IP, so CO has much more flexibility with Free For Gold items and lower pricing.

Sure I would of liked to have paid less for my LTS, but I see it this way: the lack of a LTS sale for CO, means they aren't hurting for cash. Ya think that's a clue CO might be sticking around for awhile?

Reading over that? I think it makes a compelling reason for them NOT to put the CO LTS up for sale (or at least, not regularly).

Again, I wonder if the $100 off on the STO LTS is a "loss leader" in hopes you'll spend $100 or more throughout your playtime. Again, STO is pretty pervasively monetized - I've already bought two VA level ships ($50), bought Dilithium, bought storage and DOFF packs plus capacity upgrades, etc. I've bought Master Keys to sell for Energy Credits as well.

So far as I know, its not a matter of game health (they've been adding staff recently so I'm assuming things are in reasonably good shape), so much as they've got more ways to capitalize on players who buy the LTS. Sort of like razors, printers or game consoles - they sell the base item at cost or lower, and make up the money selling you supplies/games.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    If I'm understanding everything correctly:
    • $300 for Lifetime
    • $706.25 USD more needs to be spend on a Gold/regular account to equal a LTS
    • $1,368.75 USD would need to be spent on a Silver/free account to almost equal an LTS, sans Free Form

I need to see if there's an STO version of that chart/list. Maybe make one :p

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Hmm...

There's 11 Vice Admiral/Lt General ships at $25 each, and 2 at $50. That's $375 in possible sales right there. I doubt everyone getting a Lifetime will buy all of these, but I suspect enough people will buy them to make it worth their while (again, I've bought 2, and have yet to get my Klingons up to cap).

Tier 5 Fleet Ships (VA/LtG) require 4 Fleet Modules ($20), plus Fleet Credits (the fleet system is a resource sink, and does consume Dilithium, STO's Questionite). There's 21 Federation Fleet ships, plus 16 Klingon Fleet ships. Fleet ships are definitely an end-game thing.

This isn't including ships for earlier ranks nor shuttles.

Duty Officer packs are useful for all characters, and are $2.00-$2.75 each (goes to a single character). Expanded capacity is $2.25 (25) or $7.25 (100), letting you add up to 300 more per character. My main got maxed, so that was $21.75. I'll be doing that on at least one more character, I think. I know I've bought DOFF packs, too.

Yeah, I'm thinking STO has more to gain from LTS buyers than CO does, hence the sale. Over the lifetime of the LTS, they'll probably make that $100 back and then some.

• Options
    stannoosstannoos Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Am i allowed to buy a lts from ebay? Because there are some. :confused:
  • Options
    thesithkiller360thesithkiller360 Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually.......
    *Puts the Einstein Tone on* Actually- The best dates for sale on CO LTSs would be 24-26 of Dec.
    :cool: See what I did there, Heh?
  • Options
    stannoosstannoos Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually.......
    *Puts the Einstein Tone on* Actually- The best dates for sale on CO LTSs would be 24-26 of Dec.

Pssshhtt ....
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually.......

Well well well. SithKiller360. You're back.

At least you're not typing with random capital letters like last year. Keep it that way and all will be well.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    PW doesnt do that same deals on their games at the same time they tend to rotate what deal is on what game. You things like sales on mounts and stuff. Now this LTS thingy is something PW has little experience of they think the can rotate the LTS deals like they do with gems :/

Champions will get a LTS sale just not right now it seems.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    wacky99 wrote: »
    Well well well. SithKiller360. You're back.

At least you're not typing with random capital letters like last year. Keep it that way and all will be well.
    So, just logged in, and already I've seen a necro thread with you two, and this attempted thread derail. Get a room, kids.

Back on track...

Unless you can buy an LTS for someone else and gift it to them, the optimal date for an LTS sale would actually be either around the beginning of December (to capture those who held out with CoX until the last dog was hung), or mid- to late January (when those who celebrate Christmas are recovering from their annual overspending, and are once again prepared to drop two bills on this game - also capturing those in the US who file their income taxes early because they anticipate a refund).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yea, as much as I hate to say it this way, Champions offers so much more for the lifetime sub than STO. So I don't know if a direct comparison is even really possible.

As for the best time of a sale, yea, end of November would probably be best.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I got back into the game right after the 2nd Anniversary event, D'OH!, and they haven't had a CO LTS sale in that 13 month period. :frown:
  • Options
    narf#9213 narf Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What it comes down to for me is finding the break-even point vs. a normal subscription. Granted, this ignores some of the perks of the lifetime sub, but things like the extra character slots can be easily earned by hitting 40 on a character to unlock one. If the extras are something you're interested in, you'll just have to fudge on a value for them, I guess.

Basically, how many months of subscription can I get to the game for the cost of the lifetime sub? Once I know that: How likely is it that a) I'll still be interested and playing the game at that point or b) the game will still be around and being actively supported (not on life support mode) at that point?

The cheapest way to subscribe to the game is to buy 60 day time cards from Amazon. These used to be five bucks a pop, with free Prime shipping. They're currently $7.99 each, with $4.57 shipping through a secondary vendor on Amazon.

That works out to just under 48 months of game time for the price of a lifetime sub, provided you buy several cards at once to save on shipping.

If you buy 3 cards at a time, it's $28.54 for 6 months of play time. Multiply by 8 to get to 48 months for a total of $228.32.

If you buy 6 cards at a time, it's $52.51 for 12 months of play time. Multiply by 4 to get 48 months for a total of $210.04.

If you buy 24 cards at a time for maximum shipping savings, it's slightly under a lifetime sub at $196.33 for the 48 months.

I usually buy 2 at a time, but with the price increase from the other vendor to the new one, I'll probably go with 3 at a time or 4 at a time.

Where will the game be in 4 years? What will my relationship with the game be in 4 years? Who can say?

So, for me, the lifetime sub is sort of a wash. I think early adopters tend to benefit most from the lifetime subs, as they pass the break even point at an earlier stage in the game's lifecycle.

However, the time cards are so cheap that I can afford to pay by time card for a year or so and see how things shake up, and if they look good, then consider a sub, and I've still had a lot of cheap entertainment.

Just my two locals.

ETA: Of course, I'm also running the risk of the time cards price going back up and of deals for subscriptions changing (ie, losing the option to get 3 mos for the price of 2, etc.) over the four year period, too. So, there's a con here to be aware of.

For example, you'd hit the break even point at just over 13 months at the full subscription price, which makes the lifetime sub look a LOT more inviting.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, just logged in, and already I've seen a necro thread with you two, and this attempted thread derail. Get a room, kids.

Back on track...

Unless you can buy an LTS for someone else and gift it to them, the optimal date for an LTS sale would actually be either around the beginning of December (to capture those who held out with CoX until the last dog was hung), or mid- to late January (when those who celebrate Christmas are recovering from their annual overspending, and are once again prepared to drop two bills on this game - also capturing those in the US who file their income taxes early because they anticipate a refund).

Just do what I do- Ignore wacky, its Better that way for ur health, kiddo :cool:
    About LTS- whats the actual point in selling it cheaper in the BEGINNING of Dec? Surely, it would be much wiser to get more money before sale (Like, a Christmas present, Hint- hint?)
    And then, even if it is couple of days BEFORE christmas (Say, 21st of Dec), You will get an extra Wave of ppl buying LTSs. Im not Saying its the FAIREST economy, But it would be most profitable.

Leihngwey- Dont worry pal. Its comming, we can all FEEL IT.

UPDATED: Stannoos. Ive got No idea what that Gif has to do with anything we said here. But it rocks. 100%.
  • Options
    bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just do what I do- Ignore wacky, its Better that way for ur health, kiddo :cool:
    About LTS- whats the actual point in selling it cheaper in the BEGINNING of Dec? Surely, it would be much wiser to get more money before sale (Like, a Christmas present, Hint- hint?)
    And then, even if it is couple of days BEFORE christmas (Say, 21st of Dec), You will get an extra Wave of ppl buying LTSs. Im not Saying its the FAIREST economy, But it would be most profitable.

Leihngwey- Dont worry pal. Its comming, we can all FEEL IT.

UPDATED: Stannoos. Ive got No idea what that Gif has to do with anything we said here. But it rocks. 100%.

It's from arrested developement.
    One of the best Tv-shows ever with a cast of gods.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/ 9,3/10 IMDB
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    oh, Rly? well, Im not into TV much, but that GIF specifically made me smile =P might watch it at some point.
    Anyways, I hope your all chrstmas wishes....... I mean, your Wishes about LTS sales come true in the nearest future. Even though its Not gonna be Nearest future, keep dreaming as the month of sale gets closer. =)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    About LTS- whats the actual point in selling it cheaper in the BEGINNING of Dec?

Because City of is shutting down the servers on Nov 31st, so that means on Dec 1st those people will no longer have a game to play. A lot of them have either looked over CO or will then and some of them will be thinking about a LTS.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    Because City of is shutting down the servers on Nov 31st, so that means on Dec 1st those people will no longer have a game to play. A lot of them have either looked over CO or will then and some of them will be thinking about a LTS.

Good point, I forgot that CoX actually existed =O
    Its a good game, Though, Real Good vs Bad/ Hero vs Villain pvp, too.
    Well, in That case, it would probably be wise to sell it in the beginning- again, its still before christmas Time, so Potentially you could make it as a Present, as Well as allow people to get a several - days taste of alternative to CoX. I say, 5th- 10 th of Dec would be good then, what do you think? Gives Just over 5-10 days to those who are REALLY impatient to get the LTS at proper High price, and Discount to those who actually got a proper taste of a game in 5 days, and had time to make their decision.
    (Mind that Im not really thinking "Oh, Im a Player, I want Sales NOW", Im thinking what's practical for both Silvers AND Cryptics).
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Odd question: if you go Lifetime, what does Cryptic have left to sell you for CO at this point? If CO has the same retention as COH did (no idea), then Lifetimes can work against it, financially. Arguably, they might be better off jacking up the price of the Lifetime by another $100 or dropping it entirely in favor of Silvers who buy things or regular subscribers.

STO, on the other hand, has TONS of things to sell folks, regardless of them being Silver, Gold or Lifetime. And Dilithium sinks which can be very easily bought off via buying it on the Exchange via Zen.

I'm not saying that I want them to drop Lifetimes - I'm just having a harder time seeing how it fits into CO's bigger financial picture. They seem *too* good at the moment, even at $300, nevermind $200. If you'll be a long-time player, it almost seems like a no-brainer if you can afford it.

Or, will that be changing with the Vehicles and such on the way? Do you think they'll be following STO's lead and introducing more big-ticket items that won't be included on Gold/LTS?

edit: I'm just wondering, and PERFECTLY HAPPY being wrong.

• Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Odd question: if you go Lifetime, what does Cryptic have left to sell you for CO at this point? If CO has the same retention as COH did (no idea), then Lifetimes can work against it, financially. Arguably, they might be better off jacking up the price of the Lifetime by another $100 or dropping it entirely in favor of Silvers who buy things or regular subscribers.

I don't even wana know how much I've spent since going LTS. Costume sets, hideouts, travel powers, devices. And I've done so happily.

There's always this weird assumption that LTSers and golds in general do not spend money on the game.

I can only truly speak for myself, and in my case I've spent plenty, and will spend again.:wink:

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Costumes, mostly - remember that one of CO's biggest bennies is its incredibly detailed and flexible Character Creator (and once again, devs, drop this stupid streamlining thing! It's horrible!). There are a lot of Costume Packs that aren't free, even for Golds.

New Travel Powers, too - the last one that was free was Jetpack Flight, as I recall, and that was just because of the outcry about how the Jetpacks available did absolutely nothing if you had Flight as a power. At least the Wings flap...

Then there are Becomes, Mods, Catalysts, various other Devices - a Gold could easily drop hundreds of dollars over time on all the cool gadgets that aren't available for free. None of them are "necessary" in the strictest sense of the term, of course - but there was no way I could have made Happifun Security System X-4 look right without the Power Armor costume set, for instance. (I know, I tried before the set existed. Never did quite gel in the appearance department.)

• Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kharma23 wrote: »
    chikahiro wrote:
    I don't even wana know how much I've spent since going LTS. Costume sets, hideouts, travel powers, devices. And I've done so happily.

There's always this weird assumption that LTSers and golds in general do not spend money on the game.

I can only truly speak for myself, and in my case I've spent plenty, and will spend again.:wink:

Agreed. Pretty much all Lifetimers I know well enough to know their purchasing history have made ADDITIONAL purchases since going Lifetime.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Hey, no problem! :D

It just seemed to me that, at least compared to STO, CO subscribers/lifetimers get SO MUCH already, that there's relatively little to buy after that. Certainly in terms of big-ticket items!

And, as a former COX player, I've bought plenty of stuff even before they went F2P. I've spent quite a bit in STO even past my LTS benefits, but again, it seems more obvious to me how STO is monetized.

Like I said, I'm happy to be wrong ^_^

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Actually, now that I think about it: do you think its the abundance of characters and the ability to free-form that makes you spend as much as you do on travel powers, costume parts, different lairs/hideouts, etc? Do you think you spend less if you were a Silver player?

• Options
    ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually, now that I think about it: do you think its the abundance of characters and the ability to free-form that makes you spend as much as you do on travel powers, costume parts, different lairs/hideouts, etc? Do you think you spend less if you were a Silver player?

This is what drives me. They got 30$ from me when they had the Q sales going on travel powers. I have a couple diff lairs before I figured out the penthouse was pimp. Costume parts and travel powers are my weakness. I also dropped 15$ on the DPS vehicle.

I do not however buy grab bags, catalysts, xp boosts, revives or teleports. Those are foolish buys at the prices they are listed.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
  • Options
    bengalifanbengalifan Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Speaking as one of those that NCSoft made homeless, if they do put it on sale come Dec 1st, I'll forget about the rest of my 3 month sub and buy LTS in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I am the opposite. I haven't spent a dime. I bought the initial LTS and the box and that is all.

I think I would've spent more if the hideouts were actually customizable with earned in game trophies (like displaying the key to the city) and movable furniture etc (heck they could've sold me furniture packs too :tongue:).

But they are not so I clutch my man purse tight.:redface:
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I am the opposite. I haven't spent a dime. I bought the initial LTS and the box and that is all.

I've got a few friends like this, actually. Now, the reasoning varies from frugality to "I can't get game cards here, and I don't want to use my credit/debit card" to "not in the budget (anymore)", so I couldn't really single anything out. For one reason or another their money isn't coming Cryptic's way post LTS. Maybe it was a gift (I know one guy who, iirc, bought Lifetimes for his employees), maybe they had a windfall, but regardless...

• Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited October 2012

If I were Silver, I certainly wouldn't spend less on costumes, you can never have enough :P

I have 26 characters and Who knows how many costumes, but there's no question that Free Form encourages that. I build themed characters only, and it's nice to know that whatever i come up with I can create.

There are tons of costumes that are unlocked with LTS, and I suspect that I'd be working on unlocking them all whether i was FF or Silver. Hideout variants and devices? hard to say if I'd spend as much if I were silver. *shrugs*

I certainly can't speak for all LTSers, it's just my own experience.:smile:

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

psytce0002 wrote: »
    So it looks like Star Trek is having a GREAT lifetime sale again ... If you get the LTS ($199.99) You also get all of the Veterans item right away ....

Yet we still don't get a sale for Champions...... So far - Since June there have been 2 month long sales for Star Trek LTS, and Champions has had ZERO ....

I've been hoping for a sale in Champs for a while and seeing Star Trek get 2 in the same time that Champs has not had any .... well I guess I'm going to think about leaving Champs since we are not being treated the same as Trek ......

I agree.

I would buy a LTS for Champs in a heartbeat if they offered it for this price! (and with the same perks :tongue:)
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Unfortunately (for the OP) this^

They're different games no matter how many similarities they have or despite them being from the same company. Both games' subs offer completely different things and follow different business logic.

Just think about it, in CO they sell FF slots for $50 a pop, OR, you could get 16 of those plus a bunch of other benefits (including an extra FF slot every time you level a toon to 40) for just $300 (just six times the amount you'd pay individually for each one of those 16! slots).

In STO a subscription gets you what? One retcon every 5 character levels, which you barely even need? And you STILL have to pay extra for the ships (which are the closest thing to an equivalent to FF in CO that they have)?!?!? BUAHAHAHAHA!!!

You ask me, $200 is still too much for a LTS in STO.

PS: I wouldn't mind automatic Vet rewards in CO, though.

This argument would be acceptable to me, if not the fact they infect CO with other STO crap where you ask "Why can't they take something decent from STO and place it in CO instead?" like new content, or foundry, or the LTS sale. Not stupid lock boxes which possibly means soon they'll add system messages to announce if people win something to the whole zone.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    skcark wrote: »
    lock boxes

Probably an obligatory comic...
    http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=300