test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Threat duration?

williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
Couldn't find an answer in the big stickied Threat Guide.

How long does Threat last? Does it stick around until the enemy has died, or does it wear off after a certain amount of time?

As an example situation: Two Hybrid-role characters (no changes to threat generation, so threat is based purely on the damage done) fight an enemy with 300,000 HP.

One character deals 100,000 damage before the other character gets into the fight, at which point the first character stops fighting, and just blocks. Assume they stay alive without needing to heal (which would generate more threat). Will the enemy's attention only transfer over to the second character after the second character has dealt 100,001+ damage? Or will it transfer over before that since the first character hasn't attacked for a while?
Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
Post edited by williamkony on

Comments

• ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is probably one of those "Cryptic math" questions, but something to consider:

Your superstats also affect threat depending on role (dps-lowers, tank-raises)...not really sure on Hybrid...I would assume lowers if you didn't take Bulwark. If that is the case, then if toon B has higher superstats, he would have to deal a lot more damage in order to take over threat because he gets more of a threat reduction based on higher superstats.

In order to determine who will pull the most threat, you will have to use 2 toons that are built identically.

If I were guessing on threat per fight, I would say, unless the mob has some kind of threat wipe ability, then it lasts for the whole fight. I think Chimaera has an ability like this. If threat didn't last the whole fight, then abilities like Evasive Maneuvers and Palliate wouldn't be needed.

However, Crippling Challenge and Challenging Strikes DO have a timer on them, and need to be refreshed periodically throughout fights.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • reddestshirtreddestshirt Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    An addition to what Ajanus said;

Crippling Challenge has a side effect that completely bypasses threat level to force an enemy to attack you, but that effect has a duration of 4 seconds and an internal cooldown of 10 seconds (not modified by intelligence and such).

Basically a tank arriving late can have the enemy on them nearly half the time until they get their threat up above the others.

Check out this threat for lots of information on the actual maths behind threat:
    Guide to Threat Management and Aggro Control
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I've gone through that thread, Reddest. :D Thanks for the link, anyway, though!

Palliate is exactly why I'm asking this question. I'm considering putting it on a Support character to use on damage dealers so that they don't take threat away from the tank. But if threat falls off after a certain time anyway, then it wouldn't be very useful to take the threat off of a damage dealer just once every two minutes.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I believe threat is a virtual damage, i.e. stays barring being wiped somehow. Like death.

And yeah, Palliate could be useful for those who don't have their own means of wiping. I use it for my DPS. I also happen to have INT+tons of cooldown gear and have the cooldown at 50 seconds or so, btw.
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »
    I believe threat is a virtual damage, i.e. stays barring being wiped somehow. Like death.

And yeah, Palliate could be useful for those who don't have their own means of wiping. I use it for my DPS. I also happen to have INT+tons of cooldown gear and have the cooldown at 50 seconds or so, btw.

How much use do you get out of it? After further consideration, I'm wondering if it'd work well on my Trinity character, as well. I'd have to give up Rank 3 Ascension to use it, unfortunately, but being able to wipe my own threat or the threat of another damage dealer seems pretty handy. It'd have a 1-minute cooldown in damage mode, and 1-minute-20-second cooldown in tank and support modes.
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    How much use do you get out of it? After further consideration, I'm wondering if it'd work well on my Trinity character, as well. I'd have to give up Rank 3 Ascension to use it, unfortunately, but being able to wipe my own threat or the threat of another damage dealer seems pretty handy. It'd have a 1-minute cooldown in damage mode, and 1-minute-20-second cooldown in tank and support modes.

Tons and tons of use in teams, like in Alerts, where I steal threat constantly. I've needed it, and I've used it multiple times in a battle, but usually there is someone who can keep the threat off. In Gravitar, it also helps as an occasional heal (with CON the % gives a bit more, and it can crit), not to mention just using it consistently to make sure threat stays far, far away lest I catch Gravy's eye and get smeared.

Plus, you can troll the tank by wiping their threat!

(j/k :wink: I never use it on others honestly)