What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic. I'm dissapointed.

2»

Comments

• cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    benevon wrote: »
    A model with an invisible driver just seems silly to me.

If the hoverbike or any other vehicle looks like it's missing a rider, I know I'll never buy it. I quite simply will not spend real money, or even in my case free money on some type of bike that looks like it's driving itself.

If you can't enclose the passenger compartment in someway, then it shouldn't added to the game.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Due to the game engine the only way vehicles would come into being is as really fast become devices.

Still they are rather epic ive been able to make a giant robot that turns into a jet :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The vehicles are a nice touch but I don't see how any of my characters can use them since I always choose a travel power that would fit their RP backstory. Plus none of them could even afford a jet :P

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • ktm1ktm1 Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    benevon wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents, but since the mechanics for having your character appear on the hover bike arent possible (and I understand why that is), then maybe a hover bike is a bad way to go. A model with an insivible driver just seems silly to me. I just think vehicle models where the character would conceivably be inside a cockpit would look much better thematically.

you know... there probably will be a buncha people lambasting me for this but i gotta say it.

having the bike with a rider IS possible. i remember a long time ago when vehicles were first in demand, but long before they were in any form of planning stage, in a thread where they were in discussion a dev responded by saying that making a become device that is your toon sitting on or in a helicopter for example is doable but we don't know how to deal with the situation of what would happen to all your powers and the animation of those powers' the thread focused on whether we could use animations, use powers without the animations, have replacement powers etc etc etc....

come to think of it the current developement of the vehicles might be a direct child of that thread.

the thing is i cannot find the thread, remember its name, or which dev was posting.... anyone else remember this/can give me a quote?

dang lol just went looking again.... there are a LOT of archived posts about vehicles
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ktm1 wrote: »
    you know... there probably will be a buncha people lambasting me for this but i gotta say it.

having the bike with a rider IS possible. i remember a long time ago when vehicles were first in demand, but long before they were in any form of planning stage, in a thread where they were in discussion a dev responded by saying that making a become device that is your toon sitting on or in a helicopter for example is doable but we don't know how to deal with the situation of what would happen to all your powers and the animation of those powers' the thread focused on whether we could use animations, use powers without the animations, have replacement powers etc etc etc....

come to think of it the current developement of the vehicles might be a direct child of that thread.

the thing is i cannot find the thread, remember its name, or which dev was posting.... anyone else remember this/can give me a quote?

dang lol just went looking again.... there are a LOT of archived posts about vehicles

I remember the post. Wasn't it Tumerboy ?

The thing is that there is a difference between technically possible and financially possible. Technically they could add Mickey Mouse, Wolverine, and Cinderella to CO as well, all they would need to do is spend a many billions of dollars to buy Disney first.

Similarly, while it may be technically possible to develop vehicles in the fashion you mention, they may very well not have the budget to do so. If they dont have the money to pay for something then having it is financially impossible.

(feel free to change, "financially impossible," to, "financially unfeasible," if you like)

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Weird, I could have sworn I read where it wasnt possible. If what you mentioned is the case, then power animations are a non issue since vehicles use seperate powers. Either way, if they cant put the character on the bike then bikes just shouldnt be done. Make it a hover pod or something.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
    edited October 2012
    having the bike with a rider IS possible.

It is possible, at least from a technical stand point. Lots of other games have you mounted on something or another, and you see your character in what ever gear they happen to be waring. However those other games don't have quite the variations in size or costume options.

So while they could in theory do it, that doesn't mean doing is practical. The cost may be so high that they simply don't have the budget to do so.

I vaguely remember the post you mentioned and it may very well date back to the days of Atari. It's also possible that post was made by a Dev that isn't even here any longer.

Finally they may of been thinking of how they could do it, but when it came time to actually do it, they found out that what they had planned didn't actually work.

So while it's possible to code it to work, it may be so expensive that it won't happen. Cryptic generally takes a fair amount of pride in things look if nothing else. I don't imagine they would of gone this route if they had other options.
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    It is possible, at least from a technical stand point. Lots of other games have you mounted on something or another, and you see your character in what ever gear they happen to be waring. However those other games don't have quite the variations in size or costume options.

So while they could in theory do it, that doesn't mean doing is practical. The cost may be so high that they simply don't have the budget to do so.

I vaguely remember the post you mentioned and it may very well date back to the days of Atari. It's also possible that post was made by a Dev that isn't even here any longer.

Finally they may of been thinking of how they could do it, but when it came time to actually do it, they found out that what they had planned didn't actually work.

So while it's possible to code it to work, it may be so expensive that it won't happen. Cryptic generally takes a fair amount of pride in things look if nothing else. I don't imagine they would of gone this route if they had other options.

Keep in mind that Cryptic is not in 100% complete control on what they can spend their dev time and money on.

PW may have just told them the time and expense to get player models on these devices wasn't worth it.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
    edited October 2012
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    PW may have just told them the time and expense to get player models on these devices wasn't worth it.

Exactly.

Again, almost anything is possible to code, if you want it bad enough you could even go as far as ripping out the existing game engine and starting from scratch. Such a thing is almost never going to happen because of the cost... But it is in theory possible.

Now if for whatever reason they don't have a way to see a character in or on a vehicle that doesn't bug me too much.

But for the name of Zod, make the models with enclosed/covered rider compartments.

A motorcycle that looks something like a Lightcycle from Tron I'd buy. I'd prefer one without neon on it, but that general style would work for me.

If however it looks like ArCee from the Transformers, a standard motocycle without a rider, I wouldn't spend a single Zen on it. That includes the free zen I get from being a Lifer.
  • fsut6fsut6 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think cryptic should make a nephilim costume set that you can buy with zen, it will be open to people since the way to get nephilim is very hard in certain circumstances. The costume set should consist of Therakiels armor and nephilim but obviously cost between 1000 and 2000 zen. I think it would be a good idea if they did this, they will make more money and im sure alot of fans will like it as would I
  • fsut6fsut6 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hello everyone,

I think Cryptic should make nephilim costume set you can buy with zen, I think it would be amazing if they did. The costume set should include Therakiel's armor (all of it from bottom to top) and nephilim armor. I think they should make this because it is very hard to get nephilim armor and Therakiels armor and you can't even get some of Therakiels armor. It will be quick to add since most of the armor is already made just needs to be made into a costume set but just add in the parts from Therakiel you can not get e.g his skin etc. Once again if Cryptic did this it would be amazing, I think it should be between 1000 to 2000, im sure alot of people will buy this if they did, I know I will. Cryptic would make money and make alot of people happy.

Thank you
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Why would they do that, when most of the Nephilim costume drops are available in the AH for a reasonable price? (Reasonable as in, as a Silver and not anywhere near the resource cap, I was able to purchase two or three different Neph costume bits. Sadly, turned out none of them worked with any of my current concepts - but I still have them, and perhaps one day I'll have an idea that includes them...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2012
    fsut6 wrote: »
    I think Cryptic should make nephilim costume set you can buy with zen

And what exactly does that have to do with this topic?
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Has there been any mention yet if the vehicles will be visually customizable yet? I know they just added the stat mods on the PTS, but as of yet they're still the Become Devices which seems to be quite unpopular.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The mods have the visual custom in them, just not implementet yet.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    okay, i'd missed that i guess, i hadn't heard that the mods would actually add visuals, i'm curious to see if it gets any more in depth than that.
    edited October 2012
    For what it's worth. They also said that people who bought the current generation of Jets would get something for being early adopters. No details, just that they'd do something.
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    For what it's worth. They also said that people who bought the current generation of Jets would get something for being early adopters. No details, just that they'd do something.

They also said that people who playtested the "prototype jets/clear Nighthawk's name" stuff would get a special Action Figure for participation of one hour (or longer). As far as I can tell, I haven't got mine yet. ~shrug~ Words are cheap & easy to produce. Actions speak much louder than words.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Chances are if the customization doesn't change from the way it is on PTS when it comes to the mods and powers, what players will get for having the prototypes will be along the lines of what we got for converting components.
    They also said that people who playtested the "prototype jets/clear Nighthawk's name" stuff would get a special Action Figure for participation of one hour (or longer). As far as I can tell, I haven't got mine yet. ~shrug~ Words are cheap & easy to produce. Actions speak much louder than words.

Check the Bonus tab of your C-Store for Gold Nighthawk.