test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mayhem - Extreme Laser Sword Tank and Support

monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 787 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Builds and Roles
For the toughest villains that require teams of heroes to subdue, Mayhem is one of the best tanks to have around.

She is very tough to take down with 18,371 HP, huge self healing abilities (900+ sentinel mastery heal per second), fast cooldowns and as an additional plus to the team, she can also heal them. Her damage is decent with her energy hungry Laser Sword on Particle Acceleration being adequately fed by Spirit Reverberation, Defiance and Focus.

(Spirit Reverberation can proc on her Energy Builder so just one shot gives the EB energy PLUS 56, plenty of extra strokes with her Laser Sword before using it again.)

Heroic Gear - Crit, HP, Cooldown
Secondaries - Vigilante x3, Crit, HP, HP
Mods - CON Rank 5 x6

In battles with Gravitar, she doesn't need to use Masterful Dodge so she can save it for yellows. Typically, she just ignores all her bubbles through the first to bars.

Note: Mayhem also has a viable Hybrid role build and swaps out 2 CONs for DEX for increase crit/damage while dropping the Energy Shield for the default block.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Mayhem

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Abyssal
Level 6: Accurate
Level 9: Boundless Reserves
Level 12: Acrobat
Level 15: Quick Recovery
Level 18: Impresario
Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
Level 1: Shadow Bolt
Level 1: Spirit Reverberation
Level 6: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
Level 8: Defiance
Level 11: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Particle Acceleration)
Level 14: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Laser Knight)
Level 17: Form of the Tempest
Level 20: Masterful Dodge
Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)
Level 26: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
Level 32: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Telekinetic Maelstrom (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Crashing Wave Kick (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Mach Speed
Level 35: Jet Boots

Specializations:
Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Constitution: Armored (1/2)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (1/3)
Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
Protector: Exhausting Strikes (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (1/3)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)
Post edited by monsterdaddy on

Comments

• monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is my first build where I finally managed to figure out how to make efficient use of Spirit Reverberation. By moving the dimensional damage proc to the Energy Builder, I solved the problem of wasting extra attacks to proc energy because this one is automatically used whenever I am short on energy and never before. Extremely convenient since I just toggle EB on and never have to think about it again.

Fear can be applied by either Void Shift or the Circle. So if the enemy is mobile just tap Void Shift occassionally, otherwise stand in the circle and get extra damage buffs.

Note: all of Mayhem's self heals except Resurgence are NOT affected by Circle of Ebon Wrath's heal debuff.
  • amazingprotonamazingproton Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    so this is played in Tank Role?
    FORMERLY KNOWN AS NOT0FTHISWOR1D\\My Lightning Toon
    edited September 2012
    Yes, but Hybrid can be used for higher DPS to finish less dangerous PvE content faster.
  • mauk2mauk2 Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Innnteresting.

I just leveled my first new project toon to 40, so I'm looking at a support character as a second.

This build appeals. :D

Would IDF fit well on this (maybe replace aggressor?) The synergies on the build don't seem to depend on aggressor, and I'd be willing to forgo a bit of extra damage on a tank/support toon.

How do you heal your team mates outside the sentinel mastery? Or you don't worry about it?

Could you expand a little bit on the gear selections?

This looks to be late-blooming, but quite awesome. :)
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    IDF is a form, and I'm pretty sure that you'll need the energy from Form of the Tempest. Laser Sword is even more expensive than normal when you put the debuff on it. In fact, the usual advice is not to bother with Particle Acceleration if it's your only particle attack, especially without SS Int.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2012
    tdits wrote: »
    IDF is a form, and I'm pretty sure that you'll need the energy from Form of the Tempest. Laser Sword is even more expensive than normal when you put the debuff on it. In fact, the usual advice is not to bother with Particle Acceleration if it's your only particle attack, especially without SS Int.

(nod nod)

Yeah, I already realized that. Dopey me.... Ehn, I'll get the hang of it eventually.

So, I looked this over a bit more, and the more I looked the more I see how tight this all hangs together. (awesome)

But, I think I might have figured out a way to get this to all work:

Laser Sword is expensive but hits really hard. Focus, from the Form, is one of 4 main energy sources for this build. If I'm willing to give up some offense, I can swap out Laser Sword for Defensive Combo. This builds and maintains Defiance even faster. Then, I move crippling challenge from Crashing Wave Kick to Defensive Combo and take Crashing Wave to rank 3 to get some offense back.

Last, swap the form for IDF with ranks.

This is quite a bit less offense, but does all the same self-healing, has the same or better aggro holding, and has all the same party-wide healing potential, assuming I didn't mess anything up.

Plus, it now has a very wide-area party defensive buff that should 'sturdy up' a prty nicely, especially with the healing it's giving off.

This seems a complex build, and I hope i didn't miss anything else. :) See what you think:

Name: Tribute to Mayhem

Super Stats:

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier

Powers:
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt (Despondency)
    Level 1: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 6: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
    Level 8: Defiance
    Level 11: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 17: Conviction
    Level 26: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Telekinetic Maelstrom (Rank 2, Expansive Intellect)
    Level 38: Crashing Wave Kick (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Mach Speed
    Level 35: Jet Pack

Specializations:
    edited October 2012
    Glad you like the build! Yes, it's very tight after several previous Laser Sword builds.

A few notes:

Focus is a very minor source of energy. Defiance provides like 80+ per tick, Spirit Reverberation like 60+ and you get the Energy Builder's energy too so like 80 in total. (This is why Endurance was the last SS, to store the energy.) But Form of the Tempest was best form for damage.

But if you are worried about energy, just take Laser Sword Rank 3. And taking IDF is fine. You can also swap END for REC and take Compassion as a Form and your Resurgence heals you for 10K+ at Rank 2 and the stacks come easy and fast.

There's really no need to take Defensive Combo in this build. Only other tanks (and maybe Hybrids with Bulwark) will take agg from you which is OK -- now you are in Support mode and healing them with Sentinel Mastery. IMHO, I'm still a tank as long as I am targeted before DPS and Support.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I tend to look for a builds that can max DPS and survivability in as many likely situations as possible. There's always a balance between the two so I never max one at the expense of the other. With Defiance and Energy plus Sentinel healing I had plenty of

Gear is:
    Heroic Gear - Crit, HP, Cooldown (Luck, Growth, Impact)
    Mods - CON Rank 5 x6

(Not sure what else to say about gear...)

As for healing, you have 4 sources: Adrenaline Rush, Sentinel Aura, Sentinel Mastery, Resurgence. Resurgence is the only one affected by Ebon Wrath but I usually only need to use it when knocked out of the Circle anyways so the heal debuff is moot. You won't need anything else. Sentinel Mastery is 900 heal per SECOND. Adrenaline is 360 heal per SECOND (if you use Ego Surge for 100% crit rate).

I like builds that balance max DPS and max survivability. No need to make sacrifice DPS when it's unnecessary IMHO. And active offenses also help break holds which can be critical, i.e. Gravitar.

Telekinetic Maelstrom is for mass healing of course, much more energy usage (which is why CWK is used) but dang nothing beats healing for 25% of your Max HP per second when you spam AoEs.

Against Grav I just hit CWK (for heals) then Ego Surge and do 3 combos of Laser Sword and repeat with Aggressor. BTW the Plasma Burn DoT is awesome for keeping you healed while you spend a few seconds blocking a bubble.
    edited October 2012
    (reads)

(tinkers)

Well, I'd love to keep laser sword for the damage, and if you think it's affordable without the particle acc, then who am I to argue? :)

Last rebuild is a very slight mod: Drop Form of the Tempest, replace with Convistion with Reverence. This lowers offense but gives me a little bit of aoe healing, which is good for what i have in mind for this toon.

Later, drop Aggressor for Inertial Defense Field, which is a nice big AOE resist shield, which is, again, exactly what I want for this build.

Swap around a few advantages to make it all 'work', pick some travel powers I like and that fit the theme, season to taste, and voila:

Name: Tribute to Mayhem

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 1: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
    Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 8: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Defiance
    Level 17: Conviction (Reverence)
    Level 26: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Inky Ooze Tunneling (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    edited October 2012
    If you want a little crowd control power, you can swap TK Maelstrom for Grasping Shadows with Adv. The Adv DoTs your targets and each target will then heal you for 5% of Max HP every second for 8 seconds (plus gives Energy from Spirit Reverb.)

Laser Sword is a very important healing power for Sentinel Mastery and Adrenaline Rush I have found. That 0.5 second activation time coincides very nicely with the heal cooldowns. I've tried it on other tap/charge powers and your heals just seem so much lower simply due to timing.
  • alfinpogformalfinpogform Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Have you been able to find a good build for laser sword that uses an offensive passive?
    edited October 2012
    I've started leveling, and what fun! :D

I've also tinkered just a smidge, here's what I'm settled on unless something pops up during the level-up process.

Name: Ancilla

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 26: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Constitution: Unyielding (1/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (2/3)
    Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
  • doll1989doll1989 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Only one question, how on earth you made sentinel aura heal for 900+ per sec? I thought it's just not possible to get that amount even in support role for allies, not yourself. Is there some kind of a trick? Or was I misinformed when I was told that sentinel aura heals for about 600 per sec in average?
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well, I'm not sure what the numbers normally are as I have yet to use Sentinal aura, even after the nerf, but the 600 average you've been informed of and the 900 actual that he's reporting don't have to conflict.

If the average is a mean then roughly half of all builds with Sentinal aura will be healing lower than 600 per tick, but the other half will be healing for higher. With an average of 600, 900 could easily at the top of the range.

It'd still be nice to see how he did it though, especially without superstatting PRE.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • knightfalzknightfalz Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Gear is:
    Heroic Gear - Crit, HP, Cooldown (Luck, Growth, Impact)
    Mods - CON Rank 5 x6

(Not sure what else to say about gear...)

This is a pretty interesting build to me, but as a very new player I'm not all that certain of what this equipment notation means.

Is heroic another name for the gear for the primary slots, or is it something beyond that. The description seems to say that the gear is being modified by Luck, Growth, and Impact, but six Con mods are listed for mods. Perhaps that means heroic gear has two slots.. Luck, Growth, and Impact filling one slot on each item, and each item also having a Con Mod.

Also, I don't know what Vigilante means for the secondary slots. Is that a particular type of equipment for those slots, perhaps part of a set?

I'd appreciate any info that can be provided on this, as it will likely make similar notations I've seen in other builds more understandable to me.
  • samuraiwingsamuraiwing Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Heroic Gear is the purple primaries bought from the Silver Champion Recognition vendors, they have 3 mod slots each (2 for stat mods, 1 for offence/defence/utility cores). Vigilante Gear is the purple secondaries bought from the questionite store.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for your quick and helpful response.
    edited October 2012
    knightfalz wrote: »
    This is a pretty interesting build to me, but as a very new player I'm not all that certain of what this equipment notation means.

Is heroic another name for the gear for the primary slots, or is it something beyond that. The description seems to say that the gear is being modified by Luck, Growth, and Impact, but six Con mods are listed for mods. Perhaps that means heroic gear has two slots.. Luck, Growth, and Impact filling one slot on each item, and each item also having a Con Mod.

Also, I don't know what Vigilante means for the secondary slots. Is that a particular type of equipment for those slots, perhaps part of a set?

I'd appreciate any info that can be provided on this, as it will likely make similar notations I've seen in other builds more understandable to me.

Edit: oh damn it... I am so slow to type... Basicly this post isn't needed.
  • ruiijiruiiji Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Nice and different! That spirit reverb + EB looks interesting... wonder if a decent sorcery build could be made out of that.
    doll1989 wrote: »
    Only one question, how on earth you made sentinel aura heal for 900+ per sec? I thought it's just not possible to get that amount even in support role for allies, not yourself. Is there some kind of a trick? Or was I misinformed when I was told that sentinel aura heals for about 600 per sec in average?

Sentinel AURA from the Sentinel tree heals for 93 every 3 seconds.

Sentinel MASTERY (when proc'd) will heal you for ~5% of Max HP per hit (up to 1 heal per second max.) With 18,300 HP, Mayhem's Sentinel MASTERY heals are over 900 and since I use Laser Sword with an activation time of 0.5 seconds or have a Plasma Burn DoT at 1.0 second, I usually get the max ticks of 1 per second.

I have looked at Offensive Laser Sword builds and haven't found one I am pleased with. Lack of energy from Defiance is one big issue.
    edited October 2012
    ruiiji wrote: »
    Nice and different! That spirit reverb + EB looks interesting... wonder if a decent sorcery build could be made out of that.

Yes, even though I'm only 17th so far, the spirit reverb is an excellent source of energy: I'm having no trouble running laser sword with rank 3.

One thing I did was place emerging nightmares on void shift immediately. This is a reliable ten foot radius fear you can get right out of the tutorial, and i find that it makes the spirit reverb+eb thing work much better: The reason is, if you can keep it fed, laser sword is tearing things down so fast i need to have a second or third feared target nearby to keep the reverb going.

An excellent build, and the version I posted is leveling like a champ so far. :D

Once I get a few more levels, I expect that to slow a bit as the group buffs start lowering the overall dps potential a bit, but I don't anticipate any issues, I'll just start joining pugs.
    edited October 2012
    Sentinel AURA from the Sentinel tree heals for 93 every 3 seconds.

Sentinel MASTERY (when proc'd) will heal you for ~5% of Max HP per hit (up to 1 heal per second max.) With 18,300 HP, Mayhem's Sentinel MASTERY heals are over 900 and since I use Laser Sword with an activation time of 0.5 seconds or have a Plasma Burn DoT at 1.0 second, I usually get the max ticks of 1 per second.

I have looked at Offensive Laser Sword builds and haven't found one I am pleased with. Lack of energy from Defiance is one big issue.

That explains it. But what power makes sentinel mastery work here? Plasma burn from laser sword or fear? In build maker in description it says that only attacking targets that are paralized, incapasitated, stuned or are asleep will activate that heal. Also it says it only works on allies. So, is description wrong or power broken? Btw, I am not sure what is incapasitated, so maybe that's what makes it work in this build.
  • alfinpogformalfinpogform Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    How does Electric Form do for helping with Energy Management?
    edited October 2012
    doll1989 wrote: »
    That explains it. But what power makes sentinel mastery work here? Plasma burn from laser sword or fear? In build maker in description it says that only attacking targets that are paralized, incapasitated, stuned or are asleep will activate that heal. Also it says it only works on allies. So, is description wrong or power broken? Btw, I am not sure what is incapasitated, so maybe that's what makes it work in this build.

Telekinetic maelstrom is an AOE stunner. (yikes!)

With the expansive intellect advantage, (assuming it works like it's advertised) that should be a 35 foot radius. This is, hands-down, the biggest AOE I've found in this game yet. So basically, you make it so that attacking every mob in a battle heals, uh, everybody close to you.

I'm excited, yes. :D

TKM is what makes this build super-awesome. Yes, the energy cost is HUGE. SO worth it.

1 ST fear + reverb trigger.
    1 AOE fear.
    1 ST stun.
    1 AOE stun.

All of which interoperate. The synergies are strong with this one. :)
    edited October 2012
    Don't forget Crashing Wave Kick too for Stun plus a nice Dodge/Avoidance buff. CWK is more critical just cause TK Maelstrom needs so much energy. It would suck to need a heal and have to wait for the energy to tap TK Maelstrom.

Electric Form doesn't help and I never understood why people liked it so much. It just raises equilibrium. I use Stormbringer on my Electric toons.

P.S. Lock N Load has a 50 ft radius but can miss beyond 25 ft.
    edited October 2012

Well, that's me told. :) Fifty foot RADIUS? That's...large.

Anyway, all this discussion of TKM, and the prospect of getting from level 8 to level 35 with the same three attacks (awesome though they are0 has prompted me to rebuild one more time: Basically, I reshuffled TKM down to level20 so I have a big AOE and a 4th button to mash. :)

Here's the latest and hopefully last re-tinker:

Name: Ancilla

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 20: Telekinetic Maelstrom (Rank 2, Expansive Intellect)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge
    Level 35: Crashing Wave Kick (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 38: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Constitution: Unyielding (1/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (2/3)
    Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Lead Tempest. Lock N Load is the AO.

EDIT: Also, Lead Tempest misses at all ranges. You can miss point blank. It just increases at a certain range.